Destroying AVG

Started by Transgirlenstein, November 26, 2009, 05:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Transgirlenstein

I've had problems trying to remove AVG from my computer.  After realizing its shit and that it slows my laptop down when it runs (which is always), I have decided to uninstall it so I can download the Microsoft security stuff.  While trying to uninstall AVG though, it says the uninstall has failed due to it failing to make a backup?  Why is it making a backup if I want to get rid of it?  And how can it fail to be removed?  Can anyone help?
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Scott

AVG has it's own uninstaller, apparently it's like Norton, and you have to use their uninstaller to kill it totally. Hope this helps.

http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools

Jooo

^ This.
Or you could do it the hard (or easy if you know what you're doing) way by simply going my computer --> local disc/C drive --> Program Files.  Then find the AVG one and hit delete.  But i would definitely recommend trying the above method first, i just know how much of a pain anti viruses are.

Also, i would say to stear clear of any microsoft security products, they tend to be useless, Eset's Nod32 is by far the best anti-virus for windows imo.

Haibane

I think the issue is the Microsoft security utility is free, and the latest iteration of it is pretty good I think.

Jooo

It's easy to use and handy yes, but it's far from secure.  If you're not using your computer or constantly buying things online all the time the it's fine, just do a virus check once in a while, but i honestly wouldn't recommend using it if you type your card details in often.  For the sake of £25 you can get much better ones. 

Also, the method i posted might not work, i forgot about windows crazy "you can't delete this for no reason" rule, it should in theory let you do it in your administrator account though, depending on which version of windows you're using.

Edit - No suggesting torrenting stuff please, even if you're against it.
- Hairy

Lilias

Unless you go through Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs to start the AVG uninstaller, there will be leftover files. I switched to Avira myself the other day (very strongly recommended), and AVG got removed without a hitch.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Dakota

i'm in complete agreement with joo, nod 32 is the best antivirus you're going to get.

Vandren

As far as anti-virus goes, I've had good experiences with Trend Micro (inc. pop-up blocker, firewall, and spyware) for the last couple years.  Admittedly, it came as a free trial version when I picked up my latest computer.  But, it worked well during the trial period, and seems to be doing so now as well.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Nessy

I've used them all ove the years at various times, avg, avast, comodo, mcafee, norton, live one care, essentials etc, etc. It's only a matter of time before one "brand" screws up or misses an infection. None of them are 100%, and they all have a laundry list of issues in their past. There's only so much they can do to help users from hurting themselves. I went to a site knowing there would a trojan on the other end and MSE picked it up immediately. Good enough for me.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

AlexanderSedai

AVG also leaves things in the Registry.  I run Kaspersky, which hates other AV's on a machine - until I removed this Registry entry it would not install.

If the AVG removal tool does not remove it, you'll need to delete that.  This is a tricky operation and one best done by someone with a bit of experience, but you can google how to edit your registry.  It's always advisable to back this up first.

Feel free to message me - once i become deverified :( - if you have any more questions.

~AlexanderSedai - IT Administrator
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain!    It's time to toss the dice!

On/Off's  /  My Introduction Thread