Monster Hearts (DnD 5e with race restrictions and world building)

Started by Premier, January 21, 2017, 10:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Premier

Looking for 2 more for a DnD 5e game with a twist.

Basic premise is a world where the normal major races of DnD disappeared in one fashion or another and the published monster races have claimed the world instead. A few thousand years later and the old races are coming back to a world they no longer own.

Going off Forgotten Realm for basic concept and Gods, except this time "Forgotten" is a lot more literal. Will be some pre-game chat to sort out how the world is organized and the party tied together. If you want your race to have gone on to be the new Roman Empire, a bunch of secretive knowledge hoarders or a rampaging horde its all open for input!

Volo's is a good source for race ideas, but any published monstrous race is allowed. Race's to avoid:  Humans, Half-Elves, Elves, Halflings, Gnomes, Dwarves, Eladrin, Drow and any similar to these!

Just pitch character concepts for now, the game will be starting at level 6 if you want to account for your class but don't bother making a sheet yet.

What we already got (For those who hate doubling up): Tiefling Warlock , Goliath Paladin, Tabaxi Monk

Any questions just yell below.

The Fall of the Elves, the Disappearance of man, the Petrification of the Dwarves. The great races of ancient times had a habit of coming to sticky ends, leaving the thumbprints of their kingdoms on the world for those who remained to pick through. They left their gods too who found themselves drifting far from where they'd use to be, be it the Raven Queen's tryst with Waukeen and how they gained their feathers, to Sune's slow mercurial drift making her the main goddess for the one race nobody expected to ever amount to anything.

When only the monsters remained they came out of their caves and ruins and carved out their own places in the world, strange civilizations grew out of the ashes of the rest and new powers have come to dominate leaving a world that's all but forgotten the old races. But the old races had not forgotten them....

JoanieSappho

Just making sure, the game'll be on here, right?
I have interest in a painfully pure Aasimar cleric. Well, pure to begin with, I imagine.

CeruleanSerenity

What races are available outside the ones listed in Volo's Guide to Monsters? It's been a while since I looked at the books... I'd have to think if there's anything I'd like to play.

ShadowFox89

I think we're avoiding the "normal" races, so tiefling, aasimar, half orc, dragonblood, any from temple of elemental evil.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Premier

Quote from: JoanieSappho on January 21, 2017, 11:28:13 AM
Just making sure, the game'll be on here, right?
I have interest in a painfully pure Aasimar cleric. Well, pure to begin with, I imagine.

Yep! No offsite stuff needed.

Quote from: CeruleanSerenity on January 21, 2017, 11:36:36 AM
What races are available outside the ones listed in Volo's Guide to Monsters? It's been a while since I looked at the books... I'd have to think if there's anything I'd like to play.

This is the best list of them I've found and where in books to find them. You can include the small bottom section of extra races that aren't legal for Adventurers League if any of those take your fancy.

http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/77247/what-are-the-playable-dd-races-in-5e

So outside of Volo that'd be

Aasamir
Aarakocra
Anthropomorphic Mice
Goblin
Goliath
Half-orc
Merfolk
Minotaur
Revenant
Shifter
Tiefling
Warforged

Chulanowa

Quote from: Premier on January 21, 2017, 10:52:13 AM
Looking for 2 more for a DnD 5e game with a twist.

Basic premise is a world where the normal major races of DnD disappeared in one fashion or another and the published monster races have claimed the world instead. A few thousand years later and the old races are coming back to a world they no longer own.

Going off Forgotten Realm for basic concept and Gods, except this time "Forgotten" is a lot more literal. Will be some pre-game chat to sort out how the world is organized and the party tied together. If you want your race to have gone on to be the new Roman Empire, a bunch of secretive knowledge hoarders or a rampaging horde its all open for input!

Volo's is a good source for race ideas, but any published monstrous race is allowed. Race's to avoid:  Humans, Half-Elves, Elves, Halflings, Gnomes, Dwarves, Eladrin, Drow and any similar to these!

Just pitch character concepts for now, the game will be starting at level 6 if you want to account for your class but don't bother making a sheet yet.

What we already got (For those who hate doubling up): Tiefling Warlock , Goliath Paladin, Tabaxi Monk

Any questions just yell below.

The Fall of the Elves, the Disappearance of man, the Petrification of the Dwarves. The great races of ancient times had a habit of coming to sticky ends, leaving the thumbprints of their kingdoms on the world for those who remained to pick through. They left their gods too who found themselves drifting far from where they'd use to be, be it the Raven Queen's tryst with Waukeen and how they gained their feathers, to Sune's slow mercurial drift making her the main goddess for the one race nobody expected to ever amount to anything.

When only the monsters remained they came out of their caves and ruins and carved out their own places in the world, strange civilizations grew out of the ashes of the rest and new powers have come to dominate leaving a world that's all but forgotten the old races. But the old races had not forgotten them....

*Sparkle eyes* Goblins! Kobold! Lizardfolk! Kinda liking orcs, too!

JoanieSappho

Oh, and since this isn't (it seems) a non-smut game, what level are we looking at? Light, bondage, non-con, extreme?

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheLaughingOne

My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

JoanieSappho

Actually, now that I'm looking at it and thinking about it (and you probably had this come up with the tiefling) ... what's going on with the Aasimar? They're supposed to be celestial-ish/human, but, well, that last part isn't really an option.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

JoanieSappho

Ah, okay. Then big booty feminine Aasimar boy is still the plan, then.

Kathyan

What about genasi, I was thinking an earth genasi barbarian with the tree ghost totem

Quote from: TheLaughingOne on January 21, 2017, 02:50:14 PM
Question.. What about Yuan-ti Purebloods...?
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

From the monster manual page310

YUAN -TI PUREBLOOD
Purebloods form the lowest caste of yuan-ti society.
They closely resemble humans, yet a pureblood
can't pass for human under close scrutiny because
there's always some hint of its true nature, such as
scaly patches of skin, serpentine eyes, pointed teeth,
or a forked tongue. Wearing cloaks and cowls, they
masquerade as humans and infiltrate civilized lands to
gather information, kidnap prisoners for interrogation
and sacrifice, and trade with anyone who has something
that can further their myriad plots.

Or this one also

the one on the left

TheLaughingOne

Yep, figuring either more emphasis on the ophidian features, not quite half or abomination, but "human" in general details. Just with lots of scales, minor fangs, and other snakey ... equipment/endowments...:3
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Chulanowa

Quote from: JoanieSappho on January 21, 2017, 03:33:40 PM

I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

I'm tryin'a decide if I want to go with a minotaur, orc, or Kobold. I would be interested in a Fir Bolg, but I have no damn idea what they're supposed to look like (besides the goofy-looking troll boy thing in the Volo's Guide.) And i'm going to bet that gnolls are not an option.

Kathyan

I kinda thought of a Firbolg myself too but yeah not much lore on them so I ended up passing on them, as for gnolls for some reason I thought they were on Volo and it ended there had being hobgoblins what I had read, would love it that was a gnoll in the party. Anyway at the end I guess I'll be sticking with mi idea of a earth genasi if that's ok.

Cataclysmic Archangel

I have an idea that I can work on with a Warforged for this... although one has to admit they have pretty much no erotic nature about them.

Although I should say that I'm a novice with 5E, and I'm not sure where to find rules for them.

EDIT:  Found Warforged stuff on a D&D wiki, but I think it's Homebrew?  If it's ok, then I'm thinking Warforged Artificer (also homebrewed, I guess?) or Cleric.

Chulanowa

Both the Warforged and the Artificer wizard tradition are found in the eberron edition of Wizards' "Unearthed Arcana" - https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Eberron_v1.pdf

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: Chulanowa on January 21, 2017, 06:45:54 PM
Both the Warforged and the Artificer wizard tradition are found in the eberron edition of Wizards' "Unearthed Arcana" - https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Eberron_v1.pdf

Thanks.  Barely scratches the surface of what was made available in 3.5, sadly.  I might be able to make it work, but... Hmm. 

Premier

Quote from: JoanieSappho on January 21, 2017, 03:33:40 PM

Aw yeah! What sort of class, attitude and social standing you thinking for them?

Quote from: TheLaughingOne on January 21, 2017, 02:50:14 PM
Question.. What about Yuan-ti Purebloods...?

Absolutely fine! Same question as Sappho.

Also those questions for everyone else. Got a few players already, so be good to line it all up.

JoanieSappho

Quote from: Premier on January 21, 2017, 07:09:44 PM
Aw yeah! What sort of class, attitude and social standing you thinking for them?

Absolutely fine! Same question as Sappho.

Also those questions for everyone else. Got a few players already, so be good to line it all up.
Cleric, innocent and pure and far too trusting and easily led.
I may have a bit of a thing for cute guys having terrible things done to them.  As for social standing, high enough to have been pretty sheltered. And he's going to be a good boy. Friendly, helpful, a little shy ... willing to do whatever his friends ask of him ...
>:)

TheLaughingOne

Squeeee!!

Not sure on class.. thinking old-one bladelock, or kensai (monk archetypes from unearthed arcana)

Bladelock is wandering problem solver, right now working on finding leads to kidnapped purebloods that look more human, kidnapped and sold as "authentic human slaves". Playful, flirty, and vicious.

Kensai not quite sure..  noble born most likely.

My Ons and Offs!

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: Premier on January 21, 2017, 07:09:44 PM

I'm not sure yet.  Premier, could I possibly try and run this race and this class as variations on Warforged/Artificer?  If not, I can work on a different idea that might still make it work.

I'm actually thinking that this Warforged might be a little weird.  In a time of 'forgotten' races, he might have been asleep, almost like Shale (ever play Dragon Age?)... and he remembers that time.  Might go with Cleric (if I can find the right domains) of some sort of crafting god (Dwarven), or the Artificer (not the wizard version), but he thinks he's some sort of cleric.  A bit of 'you're a giant stone statue and was worshipped as a dwarven avatar a long time ago in a Realm far far away.

Edit: just saw that Sappho mentioned an Aasimar Cleric.  Hmm.

TheLaughingOne

My Ons and Offs!

Kathyan

A earth genasi (from EE) totem barbarian, with the tree ghost totem from SCAG so to have the ability to speak with platns which fits an earth genasi and thinking she would have vine-like hair to reflect that.
And she would be a rude but very naive barbaric girl