Grab the book closest

Started by stormkitten, March 08, 2009, 05:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Shuck

"The elephant is reckoned to be the slowest breeder of all known animals, and I have taken some pains to estimate its probable minimum rate of natural increase: it will be under the mark to assume that it breeds when thirty years old, and goes on breeding till ninety years old, bringing forth three pairs of young at this interval; if this be so, at the end of the fifth century there would be alive fifteen million elephants, descended from the first pair."

The Origin of Species - Charles Darwin

Wow, long winded n c'est pas? Anyway, for anyone that needs the context, he's talking about how different conditions, both favourable and disfavourable bring about the impossibility of simple, mathematical, calculation of the species in questions development periods. Or something like that, its not really an enthralling read *shrug*

CWand

Unless you want to play with your pup every night at 10 PM , midnight and 2 am do not initiate the habit.  Your family will thank you and in time so will your pup!.
If the universe is infinite, and there are an infinite number of universes that could exist, there must be by definition of the world infinite, an infinite number of worlds, and possibilities out there, and somewhere our lives played out with no regrets, fears, or discomfort.  If only that worked in practice....

Ons and Offs

ShrowdedPoet

From The Norton Anthology Western Lit 8th edition Vol 2, Jean-Baptiste Poquelin Moliere "Tartuffe"

Madam, forget Such fears, and be my pupil, And I shall teach you how to conquer scruple.
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Lady Annabelle

"Stay out of range of the cait siths when you end your first turn so they won't get in the first hit."

Disgaea: Hour Of Darkness - The Official Strategy Guide
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

Nimmy

"We've made at least three dozen different kinds of potions down here ourselves, and I don't see why you wouldn't - "

Fool Moon by Jim Butcher. (I love Bob)

Sora

"How do the homeless live?"
I'll be your pet... If you can make me sit, stay, and come.

Sora's Spots

Kurzyk

Terry Pratchett ~ The Light Fantastic

He supposed there were some people somewhere who had some control over their lives; they got up in the mornings, and went to bed at night in the reasonable certainty of not falling over the edge of the world or being attacked by lunatics or waking up on a rock with ideas above its station.

Mnemaxa

Uncle David paused, looking thoughtful.

The Golden Cup by Belva Plain.

This is NOT my book, FYI. I don't read dramas.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Andy

World of Warcraft Battlechest Guide..

Many of the cultists have mastered the ability to control demons and have them at their beck and call.

GAWD im a Wow addict..
Quote from: Oniya on November 15, 2012, 09:32:19 PM
Remember:  Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to Hell in such a way that they thank you for the vacation tip.

Andys Creations: http://www.f-list.net/c/nullah%20mighthoof/

the fox without

The Highwayman by R. A. Salvatore

"Forgive her Laird Ethelbert, for her command of our language is not yet complete"

Valerian

There's a map on page 56, darn it.  However, I shall resort to page 57 instead:

"In less than five minutes Flora descended the staircase."

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, by Agatha Christie
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Paradox

Is there any reason for men to continue to open doors for women, offer them seats on subway trains, and offer to carry their heavy packages?

-Etiquette for Dummies

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Sweet Innocence

"No thanks. I don't like air conditioning unless it's absolutely necessary."

Me too!
There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Ons and Offs

Callista

"And that is when Queenland snaps his picture, catching just one half of one shoe on the far righthand side of the frame, something he will not realize then, or ever."
-Lisey's Story-
Steven King
Graze on my lips; and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie.  William Shakespeare
Different hearts beat on different strings
Apologies and Absences
Ons & Offs
Another Ons & Offs
Roleplay Request

Misery

Just a picture going to page 57:

"On one side and the other, with great howls"

The Divine Comedy
Dante

“There is no greater sorrow than to be mindful of the happy time in misery.”  - Dante Alighieri

the fox without

'To-day,' said Merlin, 'Is the day of the first Quest.

King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table

precious

My sister, tired of the repeated haircut harassment, snapped back, "I. Don't. Need. A. Haircut."

leelan

We taste only four things: sweet, sour, salt, and bitter.

Uncle John's Gigantic Bathroom Reader
-Je suis belle, incroyable, sexy et un esclave. Je suis ce que vous désirez et vous le savez.-

Avis habilis

Bear in mind that directories and files that anybody can write to are dangerous.

PHP and MySQL Web Development
Luke Welling and Laura Thomson

(Words to live by, by the way.)

CaptainErotica

This includes your scheduled match, interviews, promos, vignettes, ambushes, and impromtu matches.

Know Your role Wrestling RPG

*shrugs*

PaleEnchantress

The Diabolist usually develop a particular hatred for paladins and a bland hatred of non-spellcasters.
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

Ariabella

"The key is not falling prey to the pretty package."

Sew Deadly by Elizabeth Lynn Casey
Read my ons/offs. Want to one-on-one? PM with ideas

Ons and Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=42859.0

http://rh.greydawn.net/browse.php?c=Ariabella

CaptainErotica

"I have never seen anything like this!" she shouted enthusiastically at Tiger Ty.

The elf Queen of Shannara -Terry brooks.

Oniya

In the closest book with actual sentences (My Welsh dictionary was closer, but page 56 was in the word list section) :

Question for headache, asthenia. (From the Nursing Drug Handbook, 2002; entry on amlodipine/Norvasc)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Valerian

"Genes from these species were present in a large proportion of the cultivars that excited admiration in the Netherlands, but in truth Dutch tulips had been produced by crossing flowers that had come to the United Provinces from all points east, from Crete to Kurdistan."

Tulipomania, by Mike Dash.  Excellent book about the tulip craze of the 1630's, where fortunes were literally made and ruined based on a few rare flower bulbs.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE