Battletech! Enough said!

Started by Latooni Subota, May 21, 2010, 08:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladin

Wow they don't even have the books I have listed.

AllieCat

You two will have a PM in a lil bit :)

Katina Tarask

Is the character creation system fundamentally similar enough that it'd still be a good exercise for me to carry on with this little trial character-creation, or would that just ultimately end up confusing me?

AllieCat

it's somewhat similar.. but does not have the random rolls that the life path has.. I'd suggest reading that PDF..

Latooni Subota

>Implying Wolf's Dragoons have more honor than any IS groups. That makes me giggle. :)

Q1: B or A. preferably B.
Q2: C. Gotta love the mix.
Q3: D or B. Preferably starting as D, then eventually working our way up to being B!
Q4: I've never used MegaMek before, so I don't care either way. Whichever is easier?
Q5: C.

I'll take a peek at MegaMek tonight, and see how it works.

Also, AWWW! The random rolls are what makes the character creation system for MechWarrior FUN! Besides, Edge tends to keep you from REALLY screwing yourself over via dice.
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Paladin

Quote from: Latooni Subota on May 22, 2010, 09:11:19 PM
>Implying Wolf's Dragoons have more honor than any IS groups. That makes me giggle. :)
Also, AWWW! The random rolls are what makes the character creation system for MechWarrior FUN! D:

Never said Wolfs Dragoons had more honor than any IS group, I implied that Clans had Honor.

Katina Tarask

Quote from: Latooni Subota on May 22, 2010, 09:11:19 PMAlso, AWWW! The random rolls are what makes the character creation system for MechWarrior FUN! Besides, Edge tends to keep you from REALLY screwing yourself over via dice.
To wit, it gave me the dread pirate of Disney who was once a girl scout and gets +3 to Interest/Cookies. :P

Paladin

Umm is there a character generator program out there? Catalyst went and had to go make the easy shit in last edition hard and complicated it looks like.

Latooni Subota

I'm just saying, I've made a couple of Lifepath builds and I have yet to really ruin myself with it, came close a few times, but Edge fixed that nicely. :3

Edit: Then again, I build my characters with a vague idea of the sort of thing I want to play, and let the system help fill in the details. I guess if you make up oodles of details before going into the Lifepaths, then you'd have problems :3

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

AllieCat

Quote from: Paladin on May 22, 2010, 09:19:12 PM
Umm is there a character generator program out there? Catalyst went and had to go make the easy shit in last edition hard and complicated it looks like.

Not yet, I wanted one too.. but I learned some tricks of the trade.

I took a piece of scrap paper/blank paper and filled in the 8 stats from the book, and had a section for skills and ones for traits. As I went through the stages, I filled in the results (for example, as part of Stage 1, you get 100 in each of the 8 stats free), and just updated as I went through.. (for example, if I got another 100 as a result of a life path decision (let's say BOD, or Body), I'd cross out 100 and put 200 in.

Then, after I finished all four stages of the life path, but before I spent the extra points left over, I'd go through and convert the stats and either "sell down" or "buy up". Attributes are fairly easy,  as you get 1 attribute point per 100 points spent, so if you have 350 in Body for example, you either start with a BOD of 3 (and get the 50 XP back), or decide to "buy up" the stat to level 4 (spending the extra 50 XP to make it 400).

Then you do the same for skills and traits. There's a table (Page 85)  that references how many points=what level.. For example, if I have 100 points in Pilot/Mech (a skill), I can take it at Level 3 (80 Points) and get 20 points back, or "buy up" to Level 4 at the cost of 20 points.

(If it's all too much, you can use the Points-Only Character Creation option brought up on Page 51).

If it would help, I could create a character just to show everyone how it's done?

Latooni Subota

It took me a while to get the hang of it, but I think the trick is to just make sure you read ALL of the character creation part, and if it tells you something important like the universal XP cost, write it down on a notepad. Then just pull it all together. :)

As an update, the current consensus seems to be the following for your questions.

Q1: B
Q2: C
Q3: B/D
Q4: B
Q5: C

Any more thoughts on the game?

AllieCat

Looks like I'll be running a group of hot shot solaris VII jocks,who knows.. they may get enough notoriety/pilots/mechs to form their own company ;)

Ah, the life of a Solaris VII Mechjock.. all the fame and glory of having your every move tracked by the fans, the media... all the mechgroupies of either sex you could want.. the money..

Well.. That's for the top pilots, at least. For every Tanya O'Bannon (who co-held the Solaris VII championship three years running with her sister) or Jason Bloch, there's literally hundreds of anonymous MechWarriors living life from fight to fight.. They bring 'Mechs that have been destroyed and rebuilt so many times that the amount of original parts that it has in it is in the low single digits... fighting for low purses outside the big arenas and the spotlights. They try to stay out of the clutches of the criminal element, keeping their fights honest as a necessity, and oh yeah.. knowing that every time they pilot their Mechs out into the arena could be their last. Many are the pilots who claim that if only they got their one shot, their one chance that every MechWarrior deserves.. they too could hit the big time.

And now, the Solaris Broadcasting Council is giving a bunch of Mechwarriors that chance. They're taking Mechwarriors that are hungry and giving them their one shot. It's called "Solaris: Rising Stars".  The Mechwarriors will live together, train together, and eventually fight each other. To the victor goes a massive contract with one of the top Solaris VII stables,  and millions of new fans from watching the show. Even those who do not  win could impress the fans, creating a following as the MechWarrior that everyone is rooting for.. or the MechWarrior that everyone loves to hate.

And when you take 16 highly outgoing pilots and put them into one building with only each other for company, sparks are going to fly.

Latooni Subota

I'd be annoyed, if that wasn't SO what would happen on Solaris, thanks to those silly execs! I can't believe you just combined Real World and Solaris VII :3

As a note, my girl is a Techie/Pilot. She's not that good of a pilot as compared to the others, but she can keep her mech (and, given the right motivation, other peoples' mechs) in pretty decent shape. Assuming she has the parts that is :3

Probably formerly a Spacer, or Merc Baby. What year specifically are we gonna do?

Paladin

Well I'm in, not really interested in the solaris thing but can make it work. It will take me a while to make character since My job is killer, but I will do my best to get him done soon.

wildstar

hmm I am interested in this. what do you have in mind of what you'd like to do for the story if we don't go to Solaris? the Solaris idea sounds interesting. never did one there before. 

AllieCat

Going to aim for 3055, after the first wave of the Clan Invasion, but while the clans were still a threat to raid beyond the Tukkayid treaty line.

The merc one was going to probably be set in 3039, after the fourth succession war, pre-the clans, so we could have some fun taking offers from various House  recruiters to raid/attack  each other, (little did they know what was waiting outside the Sphere..) a lot of the RP would be on the dropship, traveling out to the mission area..

Arion

Okay, sorry about the delay, was running a DnD campaign last night.  As for the questionnaire:

1:A/B
2:A/C
3: All of the above
4:B
5:A/C

Now, I don't have the Time of War book; I've got one of the original 3rd edition rpg books, and I absolutely love the lifepath system, complete with the chance of getting horribly maimed in the process.  If I'm not mistaken, elliquiy has a dice-rolling system (each profile has a link titled see player's rolls), so we could use that for any rolls we need (especially the lifepaths, if we go with older 3rd).

Now, will we be starting with stock 'Mechs, or will we be able to modify them depending on lifepath rolls?
"The flesh surrenders itself.  Eternity takes back its own.  Our bodies stirred these waters briefly, danced with a certain intoxication before the love of life and self, dealt with a few strange ideas, then submitted to the instruments of Time.  What can we say of this?  I occurred.  I am not... yet, I occurred."     -Frank Herbert

"I've rambled with the worst of them, fell in love with a harlequin, saw the darkest hearts of men, and I saw my self staring back again, and I saw my self staring back again."    -Bartholomew, The Silent Comedy; If you do not think that this is one of the greatest songs ever written... You.  Are.  Wrong.

<a href="https://www.f-list.net/c/arion99">My F-List

AllieCat

Latooni Subota

Well, I imagine if you take the right Traits, you could have modified mechs. For example: My girl's success (if any) in Solaris VII would be primarily due to her customizing and tweaking her mech, since she's not too awesome at piloting.

Yeah, I LOVE the random roll lifepath system too. A Time of War removes all the random from the system though, no Events at all in fact. I cried a little. Q.Q

wildstar

hmm now I'm very interested. I have the original Battletech book for Mechwarrior. but I don't have the 3rd edition book to create a mechwarrior. but I can think of something. my character would be from House Steiner I liked how in the books they created the timelines and conficts for each house and for the succession wars. the clans are cool too. I'll work on a bio and have it up by the end of today before I go to bed. 

AllieCat

I was helping Paladin create his character, and if others are having issues, we can arrange time for help, either by thread, pm, or yahoo IM :)

Katina Tarask

Sheet draft, WIP.

I kinda tried to do life modules, at first, but the way I set up the spreadsheet, I was tallying line item point values, and then towards the end I pretty much said 'screw it,' and ended up with something somewhere between life module and point... I'm pretty sure it's legal by the latter.  I'm going to need to chat about this one.

AllieCat

Heya.. I'll look at it and we'll go from there :)

Latooni Subota

Psst, I has quick questions for you. Check Yahoo or AIM. :3

Latooni Subota

Quick question: The rule of only getting up to 500 bonus xp from Negative Traits is still applying, right?