Malleus Maleficarum [Puritans, Supernaturals, Witchcraft and more! | LGBTQIA+]

Started by Faustus, December 28, 2016, 11:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faustus

Ultimately, the native version of white magick may differ due to culture from how the Europeans view it and use it. How Coven Ion uses and treats White Magick will be different from how a Wampanoag will see and respond to the traditional form of white Magick. How a Wampanoag uses and treats White Magick will be different from a European. While what a Wampanoag introduces a character to may be different from the European mindset of magick, Magick IS magick, so it could conceivably beam someone upside the head hard enough to think, "Ah, yes, I can do something like that too. Mine is different, but still good. And these people are okay with it..."

Which I believe is the core of the point here? Unless I missed something along the way, in which case forgive me.

(PM a bit stalled -- on the move instead of stationary, sorry!)

“You may my glories and my state depose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.”

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

Captain Whitebread

No problem on the PM.  I'm patient.

So it is possible for a Puritan to learn Wampanoag white magic?  Or do I need to come up with a different concept?

If all else fails he can learn European white magic.  I was just planning on turning his entire world upside down in one fell swoop.
There are nights when the wolves are silent and it the moon that howls.

Faustus

I believe that he could learn it, especially with having no prior magical influence. His ability is dormant and un-used, and he has not been taught how to tap into it. He could be taught the rough equivalent of it -- though what that would be would take me going to my research and jotting down a few suggestions. I can assume that there are still principle healing elements involved, though. But much of it is definitely very nature-and-spiritual harmony based.

Anyway, I'll go over all of it in our PM, CW. That should keep it easy. :D

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

Kuroneko

Wouldn't that directly contradict that it took my shaman decades to learn it?
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Faustus

I was considering it only on the basics level? Definitely not advanced, like your shaman. Like Junior Apprentice level.

Edit: Unless we're not just talking "introductory 101, this is what's going on and what magic IS to our people." If we're talking more advanced than that, then no, he definitely couldn't learn Wampanoag styled magic.

Edit Part Two: Actually... Giving this more thought, lets err on the side of keeping Wampanoag Magick within Wampanoag circles. It's significantly easier than trying to think how we cross the two paths comfortably.

Captain Whitebread

Easy solution. They wouldn't teach him because he isn't native. Problem 1 solved.

Problem 2 is rewriting the character. I have to figure out which part was more core to the character: being a white witch of falling in love with a native.

My research is that the Puritan clergy were not required to be celibate which removed some of the forbidden fruit aspect of falling in love.

Problem is that the complete inversion of his world view was core to the character and now I need to water it down. I may have to come up with a different concept. 

Vael the Destroyer

There could yet be a solution to this problem:

What if Coven Ion had a Native woman in it? A Native woman that decided to go out on her own instead of staying with her tribe and became a white witch with Coven Ion? Micah could then learn white magic while falling in love with a Native woman.

Though I do understand that this would limit a writers creative process of a character, however it could be a solution?

Captain Whitebread

It is a viable option, if such a character existed.   I was more looking for a completely opposite social dynamic, where he discovered not only his faith was incorrect but his ideas about beauty were as well. The one would be accomplished whereas the second would be only partially managed.

I'm exploring an idea that would salvage the majority of the character sheet, while altering the character enough to make it a new idea. 

Captain Whitebread

Take II

Micah David Smith

Player Username: Captain Whitebread
Player Preferences: I'm easy.  Just not cheap....
Character Status: Trial

In the Deep Dark. . .
Full Character Name: Micah David Smith
Alias and Nicknames: Formerly known as Silence Obedience Death (Pronounced 'Deeth')
Age and Birthdate:  March 7, 1605  (Age 34)
Identified Gender: Cis-Male
Country of Origin: Born in County Cork, Ireland

Only the mirror knows. . .
Character Type: 'Puritan' Human
Height: 5' 8"
Hair: Shoulder length brown hair with a closely tripped beard and mustache
Eyes: deep blue
Body Type: Micah is slender but muscular
Piercings or Tattoos? There is a small scar on the back of his left hand, the result of a dog bite when he was a child.  His knuckles are tattooed with the letters HOLD FATS, a misspelled version of HOLD FAST.  It is why he frequently wears gloves when in public.
Other Physical Characteristics: Probably the only thing worth noting is that Micah, like all Gentiles, is uncircumcised.
Faceclaim: John Heard

Dig a little Deeper. . .
Personality
Being a pirate has left its mark on Micah.  He usually avoids alcohol but when he drinks, he drinks to excess.  He has worked hard to bury any trace of the man he was.  He tries to show a kind and generous nature but inside he's still ruthless and unpredictable.  He hasn't so much turned over a new leaf but rather hidden himself in the new world.  It makes him dangerously unpredictable. 

Even so, he can be friendly and outgoing, generous even.  His new life offers him a measure of safety but after the easy money of piracy, working as a weaver is boring.  He's still good at his job and can easily lose himself in it, often singing old sea shanties under his breath.  If caught doing so, he will act embarrassed and try to change the subject.  If confronted by someone who knows who he is, he will base his response on whether he can safely silence them.  He will chafe under blackmail and seek to turn the tables on his enemy with lethal results.  Should he be discovered by someone seeking his arrest, he would seek to escape and take his chances in the woods.

History
Born a weaver's son, Silence chaffed under what he saw as too harsh rules.   When he had learned all his father could teach him, he took his belongings and moved away.  After ten years of working his own loom, Silence fell in with bad company and before long had take to the seas as a pirate.  He enjoyed the smell of gun power and the clash of steel.   He enjoyed it for five years, right up until his ship was captured and he was sentenced to hang.  Along with several others, he attempted an escape but he was the only one to succeed.  He took the opportunity to leave the pirate life behind and returned to his loom with a greater appreciation for the value of hard work done by a free man.

He thought himself safe for almost four years, until he heard that one of his former shipmates had turned pirate hunter and was looking for him.  Rather than face the gallows again, he shipped out for Magna Anglia.  Having taken a new name, he arrived at the colony a new person, intending to make a clean break with his past.  Although he now makes his living as a weaver, he also serves as part of the town militia.  He enjoys fighting.  He keeps a matched pair of pistols (a true brace) and practices with them when he can.  He is also skilled with a blade, although he doesn't carry one unless he is actively serving.

Sins of the Flesh. . .
Sexuality:Heterosexual.  Micah has some wild encounters in his past

Are you willing to allow your character to participate in non-consensual acts? I am willing to have Micah participate in non-consensual roleplaying on a case by case basis. 

Anything Else? Micah is skilled with a blade and is a good shot with a pistol.

Developing Relationships. . .

Faustus

Lady Sakura

I'm really hoping my character comes out good should have it up before the deadline. This game is like home for me. Love playing in games where I live.

Captain Whitebread

Quote from: Lady Sakura on January 04, 2017, 10:33:47 AM
I'm really hoping my character comes out good should have it up before the deadline. This game is like home for me. Love playing in games where I live.

Home court advantage can be a good thing.

Totoro

Quote from: Lady Sakura on January 04, 2017, 10:33:47 AM

I don't think I could live further from it. Or know much less about it. It's been a real crash course of learning for me. Really good one though.

Faustus

I feel like I should note that there is definitely no deadline. Due to the structuring of the game, it's quite easy for characters to just drop in as they come, or leave as they want to. :D So you're not rushed for time, Sakura!

Lady Sakura

Quote from: Faustus on January 04, 2017, 11:53:48 AM
I feel like I should note that there is definitely no deadline. Due to the structuring of the game, it's quite easy for characters to just drop in as they come, or leave as they want to. :D So you're not rushed for time, Sakura!

^^ Thank you, it is a good way to keep me focused and work on my character before the face claim date (though i know I can extend it). That's when I start my Spring semester and I find it helpful to have a deadline so it actually get done and it's not nagging in the back of my head. That way when it starts I'm ready to contribute!

I'm thinking of creating the ancestor of a witch I created a bit ago to start. ^^

Gladiolusopening

I am totally getting in on this, since I see no immediate character deadline, and this appeals to me immensely.

(It has a little of what 'The Village' could have been if it didn't suck. Which it did.)

Wait, can I have a Witch and a Hunter or is that considered two Supernatural people? If it is I'll ditch the Hunter I guess.

*runs off to play with the character sheet*

Faustus

Quote from: Gladiolusopening on January 04, 2017, 05:14:40 PM
Wait, can I have a Witch and a Hunter or is that considered two Supernatural people? If it is I'll ditch the Hunter I guess.

Gladiolus~~ <3 Hello!

A Hunter is actually NOT considered a Supernatural person. They are just human. :-) A Witch is Supernatural, though.

If you need to reserve a Face Claim, let me know!

Faustus

GM Note: Just dashing in very quickly to note that we are still accepting new characters and players to the game! We have only just begun to post, which means you are not behind on the action! Feel free to reserve a faceclaim, ask a question, or send a character sheet in at any time. We are a very relaxed-pace game, which means you are never under any form of pressure, and it should always be easy to add a new character to the mix.

We're also definitely looking for the following types of characters:

• Witches -- Specifically, we are looking for a head of Coven Kresla for the Black Witches. This may be Male or Female, but should definitely be antagonistic in origin.
  • We're also looking for COVEN members for the Witches -- All three types.
  • Wampanoag
  • Human Puritans, especially those that are very devout in their faith to create tension in the Magna Anglia Colony
  • Captain my Captain is looking for a player to play the Wendigo their character made a pact with, Please PM him for further details.
  • Faustus is looking for a Hunter to develop an unhealthy fixation on their male Witch, Lesslyn Faulkner. Preference on cis male. Please PM them for further details.
  • Faustus is looking for a Hunter to transfer over who was a mentor to their female Hunter, Mallorey. Izaak was cis male, but this can be changed! Please PM them for further details.

Please remember, these are not all of the characters being accepted, but these are what have been actively requested by current players. :-)

Captain Whitebread

Don't worry, Gabriel will be on Lesslyn's trail soon enough unless you were looking for a less firmly rooted Hunter who could be swayed from his path....

la dame en noir

Bless the FAQ for having the answer to the question I would've asked.

I want to make a witch - a black woman - who still has close ties to her West African religion of Yoruba, so it will dabble a little bit in Voodoo.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Vael the Destroyer

Quote from: la dame en noir on January 09, 2017, 02:52:31 PM

I want to make a witch - a black woman - who still has close ties to her West African religion of Yoruba, so it will dabble a little bit in Voodoo.

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! VOODOO IS MY SHIT!

Faustus

Quote from: la dame en noir on January 09, 2017, 02:52:31 PM

Seconding Symph's YAAAAAASSSSSS

And I'm glad the FAQ helped! I try to preemptively cover what I think could get asked, and add more along the way. X] Your idea sounds amazing! I am ALL for more cultural representation!

Captain Whitebread

<rolls up his sleeves>

Gabriel is going to have his work cut out for him.

Faustus

Totoro

Quote from: Captain Whitebread on January 09, 2017, 04:30:37 PM
<rolls up his sleeves>

Gabriel is going to have his work cut out for him.

I just want to see Gabriel meet the Hobomock. I'm somewhat curious what he'd even make of him. And see the Hobomock completely lose his mind.