Secret Government Agency Interest Check!!! (Recruiting!!)

Started by Juggtacular, September 12, 2014, 02:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juggtacular

Man is naturally violent. That is a simple fact. We see it in children growing up. We see it in bullies. We see it in people in positions of power and even those who are destitute. As long as man exists, he will direct violence toward his fellow man. This has been an irrefutable fact for all of recorded history. However, what hasn't been recorded is the directed violence under cover of night and through misdirection. Violence used to stop further violence.

A bit contradictory in theory, but in practice it works. For as long as their has been authority and law, there has been a group working in the shadows. First established in the early ages by a group of wise men who realized that colloquially humans were too self destructive to survive as a race, this organization has always had one purpose. To keep the world as a whole safe, relatively speaking. As stated, people are naturally violent. But some people go above and beyond...some take it too far. And that's when you get despots, brutal dictators, terrorists, madmen, genocidal maniacs. This organizations job is to stop them. And over the centuries it has adopted many names, but it's most current incarnation is Cipher Pol.

If you've read this far, then I still have your attention hopefully. This rp is a mesh of different ideas I've had and decided that by picking and choosing, I could come up with something fun. This rp is essentially about a shadow organization that doesn't legally exist called Cipher Pol. Cipher Pol in this world is nothing more than a whisper to all but the highest of clearance levels.

They act independently of any country or government, but are acknowledged and sanctioned by all of them. Their job is to stop attacks, violence, and acts of terror all over the world. They do the jobs nations can't legally or illegally risk their forces on. They deal with the mad men with the death rays pointed at the White House. The radicals threatening to bomb the Kremlin. The psychos who would run rampant given the chance.

Why is Cipher Pol so effective you ask? Well aside from being privately funded and having the best technology and armament money can buy; they have a secret weapon. Unbeknownst to the population at large, people with incredible abilities hide among them. They are rare though; about 1 in every 500,000 people are born with abilities. The big names in the news? Men like Hitler who was 'elected' and continued to have support from the Perfect Aryan race despite showing none of the traits of one?

Men like Grigori "The Mad Russian" Rasputin; a man who should have died from being poisoned, shot, clubbed, then shot again, then thrown into freezing water from fatal heights...a man who lived and replaced his 'corpse' with a double. These people have dotted throughout history and most become great or terrible in some way or another. The first men and women to command these miraculous powers would come to form the first iteration of Cipher Pol...The Eye. So named for their ability to see all and act accordingly.

And since then they've been known as groups such as Free Masons, The Illuminati, and more. Cipher Pol has always had ways of identifying Deviants as they are officially called. People who can sense the aura of other Deviants. Eyes in the crowd who notice anything miraculous. Etc... Through intense training, Cipher Pol builds those who accept into elite warriors who protect the world from horrors too great to speak of in polite conversation. Background, race, ethnicity, skill or lack thereof, criminal record...none of that matters to Cipher Pol. They have the power to make you disappear or clear a homicdal maniac of all charges with no questions asked. They are the boogie men the boogie men check for before they go to bed at night. Theirs is a constant vigil against evil and corruption, and soon their fight will become yours.

Questions & Answers

What is Ciper Pol?: Cipher Pol is the most current iteration of an ancient society turned organization. They are unofficially sanctioned by every major government the world over and have essentially unlimited political power and funds. They can do whatever they want without authorization and go wherever they want. Sovereign lands, international waters; none of these titles matter to Cipher Pol. They are the elite of the elite And within their ranks is a specialized division; a unit of individuals with amazing powers that make them more than human. This group is known as Cipher Pol 0

Powers?: In this rp, people can be born with special abilities. Powers are vast and varied as well. While one man may be able to telekinetically flip a car, another might be able to run at super speed, and another still might be able to become invisible.

System?: This game will be free-form. I've never been much good with dice and charts and blah blah blah.

What will you be doing?: The player characters will mostly be members of Cipher Pol 0(even if you don't wish to have powers), but there will be room for you to be a bad guy if you so choose or even a neutral party(eventually you'll have to pick a side though). As a member of Cipher Pol 0, your job will be to stop  super villains, terrorists, and everyone else who would do any kind of injustice to the world. It's a thankless job as you don't officially exist...but the pay is well worth it, both financially and morally.

I made this at 3am so it's an extremely rough draft, but don't let that discourage. I think this could be a pretty fun concept so don't hesitate to ask any more questions you might have while I work on it some more. Thanks for reading!

World Info

Setting: The world Cipher Pol takes place in is similar to our own. 2014 Earth. History is mostly the same, however many of the things in this world were caused by Deviants. Mt. Vesuvius erupting was a Deviant losing control over his ability to manipulate the Earth. The Cult Leader Jim Jones had hypnotic powers that allowed him to brainwash so many people and convert them to the Peoples Temple. The sniper who killed JFK had perfect accuracy and the ability to hit any target, etc...

Powers: Powers can essentially be whatever you want them to be within reason. While I'll accept a guy who can turn into stone or someone who can fly and shoot energy blasts. I won't be accepting someone who can snap their fingers and make 4=Purple(i.e. reality warpers and such) The only thing I really ask on powers is to make them connected in some way if you have more than one. For example, it would make sense that a guy with super strength is also really durable and can jump long distances. But that guy also being able to read minds or teleport just doesn't quite add up.

State of the World: While this world will have a lot of sillyness and over the top scenarios, it is still based on the real world and as such will have some serious moments. Especially considering Cipher Pol is an off the grid organization with the power to attack anyone as long as they are deemed a threat to the world on a large enough scale. They could even sanction an attack on US soil if say a highly connected Senator was found to be in league with a super villain or something. Also because it's based on the real world, real events will be spoken of and possibly portrayed. 

Technology: The year in game is 2014, so tech for the most part is up to date and what you'd expect. But there will also be advanced technology like you see in action and spy movies, as well as video games and things of that nature. So powered exo-skeletons, hand held rail guns, stealth tech, etc, etc. You can expect to see and use things like this fairly often.

Command Chain: For the most part, all of our characters who are actually members of Cipher Pol will be the same rank, as this is the type of organization to eschew formal rank. There will be NPC's who act as the higher ups though, and on missions a team/mission leader will be selected. Aside from that though, everyone is essentially just a "Cipher Pol Agent". Even if you were a Lieutenant or a Brigadier General, at Cipher Pol you're a CPA. I am thinking of implementing a number system though. Which would primarily be used to gauge an agents experience level and assign missions accordingly. On a scale of 9 to 0, 9 would be a rookie, raw recruit. And as they went on missions or showed exemplary action(defeating a major bad guy or something), their rank would increase. And as the number got lower they'd be given more difficult missions and better gear. Would you guys be for or against this?

Placement: I think I'll put this in Light Human or Light Exotic. I'm still not quite sure where the best place would be for it yet.

If there are any other questions or I've missed explaining anything, feel free to ask. I'm still coming up with things as I go along so I'm bound to make some mistakes.

Character Thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=213441.0
OOC Thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=213443.0
IC Thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=213535.0

Character Sheet

[img]Picture of Your Character goes here(Real life, Anime, etc.. is all fine)[/img]

[u][b]Basic Information[/b][/u]

[b]Name:[/b] Your character's name.
[b]Code-Name:[/b] Your official handle for missions.
[b]Nickname:[/b] What people like to call you or you like to be called.
[b]Age:[/b] Your character's age.
[b]Gender:[/b] Your characters biological gender.
[b]Sexual Orientation:[/b] Who are you attracted to?
[b]Affiliation:[/b] Are you neutral? Cipher Pol? Bad guys?

[u][b]Physical Appearance[/b][/u]

[b]Height:[/b] How tall are you?
[b]Build:[/b] Are you stocky? Pudgy? Can you grate cheese on your abs?
[b]Eye Color:[/b] What color are your eyes? You can kinda go nuts if your powers allow.
[b]Hair:[/b] What is your hair style?
[b]Distinguishing Marks:[/b] Anything to make you stand out? Scars? Tattoos? Birthmark?
[b]Description:[/b] A description of what your character looks like.

[u][b]Important Info[/b][/u]

[b]Personality:[/b] How you act and interact with the world and people around you
[b]Power(s):[/b] Any unique or superhuman abilities you possess, like breathing fire, teleportation, etc...
[b]Skills/Specialty(s):[/b] Skills unique to you as a person.(Hacking, Lockpicking, Cooking, etc...)
[b]History:[/b] Your characters history up to this point.
[b]Recruitment:[/b] If you are a member of Cipher Pol, are you currently a member or are you planning on being recruited?

Caehlim

My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Juggtacular

CAO

Hey good ideas come at 3am. I'm interested in playing with the idea.

MaiMizzu

Id be real interested in playing a sniper/sneakysneak type for the group
The definition of a hero, at least in my mind, is someone who can protect what is right. To change and stop the wrong. To fight against the forces that seek to destroy you. And, at the very least ... live life well, and enjoy it with those you love.

Caehlim

Would this game focus exclusively on their missions out in the field, or would there also be coverage for the people back in the base? Would a base doctor be a valid character for example?
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Rel Mayer

Lynnette

It's an interesting concept, I'll consider joining.
I'm available on Discord!
Feel free to message me if you want to chat
Lynnpai#4726

My O/O     My guide to set up a home server and Plex
My request thread

RedEve

So is every member of the organization supposed to be a super-powered individual?
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Elf

This does indeed sound very interesting. Would an enhanced ninja type be acceptable?

Juggtacular

Quote from: MaiMizzu on September 12, 2014, 05:09:00 AM
Id be real interested in playing a sniper/sneakysneak type for the group

That would be acceptable.

Quote from: Caehlim on September 12, 2014, 05:20:58 AM
Would this game focus exclusively on their missions out in the field, or would there also be coverage for the people back in the base? Would a base doctor be a valid character for example?

Good question. It focuses on Cipher Pol and it's agents on missions, back at base, transit to and from locations, pretty much every facet of their lives both on and off the court so to speak. There will even be some civilian sector action, as there can and will be in game recruitment, off time, regular joes at the club trying to pick fights, etc... So yes, base doctor would be acceptable, but as Cipher Pol is such a specialized organization, even the doctor would have combat and field training as a standard, but they wouldn't be required to go on missions unless they were also qualified as a field medic or just chose to.

Quote from: RedEve on September 12, 2014, 08:07:20 AM
So is every member of the organization supposed to be a super-powered individual?

You don't have to be powered to be a member of Cipher Pol, as it is the 'Parent' Group of the organization. You also don't need powers to be a member of Cipher Pol 0 which is essentially the top dogs in the organization due to skill and or powers. So you can be in both without being able to hurl lightning from your fingertips. But even without powers people can still be pretty badass.

Quote from: Elf on September 12, 2014, 08:39:42 AM
This does indeed sound very interesting. Would an enhanced ninja type be acceptable?

Yes, an enhanced ninja type would be acceptable. Were you thinking something like the Cyborg Ninjas from Metal Gear Solid? Or more like Naruto-esque? Or something else?

Elina

I don't write in group RPs, but I just wanted to say that I love your concept and wish you luck on a very fun and successful RP.

Juggtacular

Too bad. I'm sure you would have been fun to thread with, but thank you very much for your kind words.  XD

Juggtacular

Thankfully it seems that their is enough interest in this game to begin moving forward. So after I get a bit more sleep(I woke up, responded to you guys, and now will be going back to sleep for a few more hours, lol) I'll begin working on a Character Sheet, making available some more info about the world, powers, technology, etc... And starting on OC/IC threads and the like.

Also I've never run a game on E before. I tried once before and it fizzled out pretty quick after what seemed to be a pretty strong interest check. I'm hoping that won't happen this time, but back to the point I was trying to make. I think I might need a Co-GM to help me run this and help me come up with missions and overarching story plots.

But like another game I'm in, people can also make their own missions. So if for example Agents X, Y, and Z are on a mission to gather intel about a potential group of powered assassins for hire, and Agent Z breaks off for whatever reason, if they find any extra info like the whereabouts of a secret base housing a super weapon, or even offshore bank accounts, they could take that info and organize a follow up mission or even just a quick side post about making a wire transfer of the funds into their own account.

Since Cipher Pol has what amounts to unlimited freedom in how they go about business, that means we all as a group are free to do pretty much whatever we'd like(within reason of course)

Interdiction of words

Lo, I express my interest for such a game as this. One question is remaining on my mind though; can I make a man that has a finite and intensive knowledge of chemicals with genetic modifications to change his physical form but nothing to extreme. He can't make himself the size of a building but he can change his DNA to be more like a wolf human
Posts are currently: Medium
Darn work and school is getting in the way. I will get posts out as fast as I can but it is going to be hard on me as for you.

Oh my, I haven't posted on our thread? PM me or check out my A&A

Juggtacular

Quote from: Interdiction of words on September 12, 2014, 10:35:55 AM
Lo, I express my interest for such a game as this. One question is remaining on my mind though; can I make a man that has a finite and intensive knowledge of chemicals with genetic modifications to change his physical form but nothing to extreme. He can't make himself the size of a building but he can change his DNA to be more like a wolf human

Does his knowledge of chemicals affect his transformations in some way, or is he just smart about chemicals? It sounds very doable though. Powers will be a big part of this game, so altering your DNA to shapeshift would be acceptable. -thumbs up-

AndyZ

Going to keep an eye on this.  Not 100% what I'd make, though.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Interdiction of words

The knowledge about the chemicals effects how he transforms, he has several sets of DNA inside of his body but they can only be triggered by chemicals or strong emotions that produce hormones. Without the Chemicals he would have very little ways of transforming into half human and half animal creatures with some full creature transformations. Though I was thinking he would be from World war 2 as a secret experiment by Nazi Scientists but because of the chemicals he ages very slowly and he was hidden away from the allies as they took over Germany. Later on his protective pod broke; sending him on a rampage in Holland 
Darn work and school is getting in the way. I will get posts out as fast as I can but it is going to be hard on me as for you.

Juggtacular

Quote from: Interdiction of words on September 12, 2014, 10:46:13 AM
The knowledge about the chemicals effects how he transforms, he has several sets of DNA inside of his body but they can only be triggered by chemicals or strong emotions that produce hormones. Without the Chemicals he would have very little ways of transforming into half human and half animal creatures with some full creature transformations. Though I was thinking he would be from World war 2 as a secret experiment by Nazi Scientists but because of the chemicals he ages very slowly and he was hidden away from the allies as they took over Germany. Later on his protective pod broke; sending him on a rampage in Holland

That sounds like an incredibly interesting character concept. I like it. And he definitely sounds like something the Nazi's would have made.

Elf

Quote from: Juggtacular on September 12, 2014, 09:49:04 AM

Yes, an enhanced ninja type would be acceptable. Were you thinking something like the Cyborg Ninjas from Metal Gear Solid? Or more like Naruto-esque? Or something else?

Definitely not a cyborg, he is basically a highly skilled ninja and agent, through training and the use of his "chi" he has enhanced strength, can lift and carry over 3000 lbs, his speed, dexterity, and agility would be on par with Spiderman's, he is resistant to damage as if wearing body armor, he heals quickly(as in hours) and he has a spacial awareness through which he simply senses the world around him meaning he can function normally in total darkness or blinded. These are all things he has worked at and slowly developed. He didn't just wake up one morning enhanced but he really wasn't over exceptional as a child either.

Interdiction of words

Works for me, but I wanted to know if he could go on a rampage before he was welcomed into the organization. It would be a perfect training mission or first mission 

Juggtacular

Quote from: Interdiction of words on September 12, 2014, 11:01:30 AM
Works for me, but I wanted to know if he could go on a rampage before he was welcomed into the organization. It would be a perfect training mission or first mission

That'd be fine. Take him down and bring him back to base for study. On the way or after arrival he wakes up and they realize he's not a mindless beast-man. Things go from there. Or something like that I'm assuming.

Quote from: Elf on September 12, 2014, 11:01:12 AM
Definitely not a cyborg, he is basically a highly skilled ninja and agent, through training and the use of his "chi" he has enhanced strength, can lift and carry over 3000 lbs, his speed, dexterity, and agility would be on par with Spiderman's, he is resistant to damage as if wearing body armor, he heals quickly(as in hours) and he has a spacial awareness through which he simply senses the world around him meaning he can function normally in total darkness or blinded. These are all things he has worked at and slowly developed. He didn't just wake up one morning enhanced but he really wasn't over exceptional as a child either.

So he'd be like a Shang Chi or Iron Fist type of guy. His power is basically Chi. That'd work. I did say I wanted powers to be varied. Not everybody can fall into a vat of radioactive mutagen.

Interdiction of words

It would be after the arrival but for anyone that has looked into studying he has abnormal levels of adrenaline so you are going to need a counter. Fight or flight movement taken to the extreme

Juggtacular

Luckily for him and them, Cipher Pol has the brightest minds on the planet as well as the best tech and literally centuries of experience dealing with Deviants whether they're natural, accidental, or man made. They can come up with something for him if he needs it.

RedEve

This might be a bit of a silly question, but would it be alright to play a secretarial character à la mrs. Moneypenny in this setting?
I wouldn't mind playing a slightly ditsy but sweet personal assistant to one of the men or women in charge.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list