X-com 2 terror from the deep tech-help.

Started by Celestial Goblin, July 30, 2006, 06:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celestial Goblin

Hello, maybe someone will be able to offer some help.
I got X-com 2 from underdogs, deluxe version and all, with a patch to make it run under XP.
Yeah, i'm running XP, graphics show fine, even sound.

Now, i have two problems.
1)Sometimes the game flips back to desktop and i need to get back to it. Annoying but not fatal. It doesn't end, just flips out.
2)After researching a *live aquatoid medic* the game breaks. For good. No way around it, other than not researching the guy.

Not a big concern, just a game, but maybe someone gone trough the same.
BTW, tech-help forums in underdogs doesn't mention that problem, i must be first.

Akioth

Well as for the "flip out" issue, have you tried alt tab?
Akioth has requested an indefinite hiatus of his account.

Sex on television can't hurt you unless you fall off. 

No matter how much cats fight, there always seem to be plenty of kittens.  ~Abraham Lincoln

ZK

Look for a patch for the game. As well, make sure it is running in the correct compatability mode. From my understanding, all the UFO games [aside from Apocalypse and beyond] were DOS games. So, I'd run it on WIN95 settings with 256 colors used.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Celestial Goblin

Alt-tab is correct, it's how i get back to the game after it flips out.
I do have the game patched, ZK, and i found a patch that makes it work without error yesterday.

The aquatoid medic thing is, i learned, a bug that has never been fixed.

Thanks for your help, i'm running fine now. (minus the medic research, which isn't critical)

forlorn1

Quote from: Z.K. on July 31, 2006, 05:11:23 PM
Look for a patch for the game. As well, make sure it is running in the correct compatability mode. From my understanding, all the UFO games [aside from Apocalypse and beyond] were DOS games. So, I'd run it on WIN95 settings with 256 colors used.

I'd also look at running it under DosBox - http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/  - it lets you run many DOS apps under XP, and is wonderful for games like Sam and Max (although the lucasarts old stuff runs fine with the ScummVM program).

I've had better luck with the original Xcom unde DosBox than the patched version running striaght under XP.  I'd think Xcom2 would be no different.

Forlorn1