Crashlanded

Started by RedEve, January 30, 2013, 12:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frelance

Quote from: Chrystal on February 13, 2013, 05:42:31 PM
The only exception - the only time you come across a military unit where the lowest rank is an officer, is in an aviation unit, where all the members are pilots! Now, this does bring to mind an excellent but sadly "Foxed" TV series called "Space: Above And Beyond" in which a squadron of Space Marine pilots often fought on the ground as an elite unit. The lowest ranked member of the squad was a 2nd lieutenant, I think.

Space: Above and Beyond. That was a good show, I have gotten a few friends to watch it just wish it was still running.
Evolution is an arms race

Deathnote

@Chrystal Do you think we can have the marines be a Special Operations Team?  I keep trying to find more information about it, but so far all I know about it is that a Marines Special Operations Team consists of 15 people, which I think we can bring up to 20 for the purposes of this game.  Do you know anything about its structure?  Now that I've starting reading up on it, I've become way too curious and really want to know more.  :p

Edit: Nevermind, found it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organization_of_the_United_States_Marine_Corps#Marine_Special_Operations_Command

So based off of that, the marines team can consist of:
4 fire teams = 16 marines (bumped up from 3 fire teams to justify the existence of a platoon sergeant / assistant team leader*)
1 radio operator
1 navy corpsman
1 assistant team leader* (Jack)
1 team leader (Magical Pen's character)

(4 fire teams x 4 marines) + 1 radio operator + 1 navy corpsman + 1 team sergeant + 1 team leader = 20 marines

*Assistant Team Leader can be a made-up position for the purposes of this game.

Does that sound right to you?  We can always say that an entire fire team of 4 marines was lost in the crash.  ^_^

RedEve

I never meant for the focus to be so much on military ranks.
For me this game is about a clash of cultures, each of them at a very different stage of their technological development.
How the military ranks are organized for one of them won't matter either way for the drama or narrative.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Prince Truhan

Part of me was wondering if the natives would start having a political discussion about their regime...

MagicalPen

Yeah, I'm going to back out. People are getting way to strict about the Ranks etc. This is Fantasy/Science Fiction. You don't have to abide by the rules because there are none - its Science FICTION.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

RedEve

I guess I can go back and re-edit Jack's profile once again then...

RabbitJanitor

I'm good with whatever. I didn't mean to start a debate on the topic.

RedEve

This discussion would have made some sense if this game was supposed to be set on (future) earth, but is it not...

So can the people who care about such things decide upon a single system and inform the rest of us?

Chrystal

Right.

First of all, I apologise to those I have bored to tears with this. I didn't intend this to become a full blown discussion on Military ranks, I have simply been trying to keep some sense of reality.

Eve, dear, this is the point at which you, as GM, need to step in and make a decision that we will all then abide by?

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Deathnote

I'd like to apologize too.  I was having a bit too much fun looking up military ranks and organization and got a little carried away.

RedEve

I don't have enough knowledge of military ranks to assign a single system that would make sense, which is why I asked one of our resident experts to just assign each character an appropriate rank.

I honestly don't care much what qualifier will precede Jack's name.

But I'm not the right person to create a system that will satisfy people who know a lot more about it than me.

RedEve

So what rank should the marines use?
Does this make Jack a Staff Sergeant?

RedEve

I've created the OOC and Character threads:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=165869.0
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=165870.0

Those of you who have a CS that is approved and completely sorted out can move it into the character thread already.

RedEve

Quote from: mia h on February 15, 2013, 10:22:14 AM
All officers use the same ranks, (although marines would probably skip midshipman), NCO's use different title's for the same rank depending on the branch.
Staff Sergeant would be a senior NCO lots of experience, and if there is only a small group of marines on board probably the highest ranked marine NCO so sounds about right for Jack.

I see, so that rank assumes she has another person above her who is the highest in command amongst the marines?

RedEve

Okay, I'll just make her a staff sergeant and say that the Lieutenant died in the crash.

Frelance

Sounds like a good idea to me. I am sure quite a few key people would have died in the crash.
Evolution is an arms race

Chrystal

YAY.

(Are you sure you don't want Mia as co-GM?) *chuckles*

Here is a question though...

20% of the crew died in the crash. usually for every fatality in a crash there are at least two serious injuries? Is the ships medical technology sufficiently advanced that even something like loosing a limb is not a major problem and we assume all survivors are pretty much physically intact (or will be after receiving treatment) or do we work it that all the more seriously injured are NPCs?

And are we allowed to have our characters suffer minor injuries?

On that note I will go post my two... :)

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

RedEve

It would make sense if at least some of the PCs suffered injuries.

The medical technology is far enough advanced to replace limbs.

I'd suggest for reasons of convenience to limit all of the seriously wounded to NPCs, unless someone desperately wants to use his character's injury as a plot point or complication.

Chrystal

Quote from: RedEve on February 15, 2013, 02:11:53 PM
It would make sense if at least some of the PCs suffered injuries.

The medical technology is far enough advanced to replace limbs.

I'd suggest for reasons of convenience to limit all of the seriously wounded to NPCs, unless someone desperately wants to use his character's injury as a plot point or complication.

Hmmm....

Quote from: mia h on February 15, 2013, 02:16:20 PM
And who worries about medical technology when the ship's doctor looks that hot? *chuckles*

I'm now considering having a serious injury just to get treated... ;)

RedEve

Our game has since started.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=165951.0

We could use some more characters though, preferably male natives.

Chrystal

Aww, what about us female ones? *flutters eyelashes*

RabbitJanitor

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Name: Emile Jeffries
Role on the ship: Chief Engineer
Biography: Emile is more of a leader then an Engineer. His track record shows his aptitude to tilt towards marine training and administration over a wrench and impact gun. However he is not without knowledge of how a ship runs. He can manage the crap out of a crew and keep up with the lingo used by his fancy engineers. He doesn't hide this weakness, he lets his subordinates complement it. With that being said, his career in an engine room was tacked on training. His original regiment had him going towards something like a battle field forward observer or a communications officer. His training regiment was switched dramatically after a divorce and a sudden urge to take to the stars for the long term. He had a few years worth of experience working on gravity vehicles in his youth, but this course pushed his skills to the max. The course was accelerated to two years as opposed to the normal five year course. His grades were passing grades and he was posted to The Neriglissar before he completed his training. He still has a year left of training before he's considered an Engineer by any standard. Emile came from a small family witch he cut ties to in order to join the military, and he was glad to leave them behind. He's been known to get mad lucky when problem solving. His crew mates call it dumb luck, he says they're educated guesses.

(Little character confusion, but I'm in now.)

Chrystal

Hey Rabbit.

Please could you post the character sheet to this thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=165870.0

Thanks

Peripherie

To RedEye/rest of the players - 

Love the idea but I'm backing out. I just don't think I have the time to post consistently.

Y'all have fun!
Peri.
"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher
storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore

Chrystal

Sorry to loose you, honey.

If you change your mind, you know where we are!