On Frankenstein and the Creature. . . | | Potential MxF or MxM

Started by Faustus, November 02, 2013, 04:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faustus

All men hate the wretched; how then, must I be hated,
who am miserable beyond all living things!

Yet you, my creator, detest and spurn me,
thy creature,
to whom thou art bound by ties
only dissoluble by the annihilation of one of us.

Frankenstein, or, the Modern Prometheus
By Mary Shelley
Chapter Ten

The story is not an all-together unfamiliar one. Most people have heard of Doctor Frankenstein and the Creation he made one night. Iconography has instilled into the pop culture mindset the image of a crazed man with his hump-backed companion throwing a switch and harnessing the power of the raging storm overhead to electrify a man - a monster - tucked safely beneathe a sheet in an attempt to bring it to life.

Most will cite the now-infamous 'It's alive!".

This is not that kind of Frankenstein story.

I have no desire to create a tale full of pop cultural references as such, but a recreation of a tale much closer to the original story set down by Mary Shelley herself. I would prefer to explore the relationship between Doctor and Creation, with the Creature being far from the green-skinned bolt-in-the-neck monster that Hollywood films have exploited as their version of Adam, or Prometheus. Instead, I am looking for someone to take up the mantle of a man created through an assortment of sewn-together pieces of other men. I am seeking a player who can give me a Creature with true thought and depth, who is learning his way through the world and may make some stumbles along the way. I am particularly interested in exploring the relationship between Creator and Created, or the interaction between Doctor Frankenstein and their Creature.

You can blast my other passions, but revenge remains -- revenge,
henceforth dearer than light of food! I may die, but first you, my
tyrant and tormentor, shall curse the sun that gazes on your misery.

So, let's break down what I am actually looking for in nice, clean and simple (very less vague) terms. We'll begin with the story itself.

o. Who am I seeking to play? I would like to explore the mental capabilities and reasoning behind Doctor Frankenstein and why the Doctor would want to make the Creature.
o. Who am I seeking my partner to play? I am looking for a partner willing to play Doctor Frankenstein's Creation.
o. What characterization am I seeking for the Creation? Please look to Mary Shelley's original writing, or the stage performance written by Nick Dear and directed by Danny Boyle (2011). I am NOT looking for the Hollywood interpretation of the bumbling green-skinned bolted-neck version.
o. Is Doctor Frankenstein a man or a woman? I am willing to play Frankenstein either way. This is why I noted the idea as either involving MalexMale or MalexFemale interaction.

Other details that are worth note :
o. You do not need to be an expert on the material. I don't require you to be a scholar of the book, or have read it a thousand times over. Just understanding the different characterization over the stereotypical is all I'm asking.
o. Time period is open. Though I would love to set it during the same period as the actual novel, I am willing to move the idea into a different period or setting.
o. Idea is open. We can change details if you desire. We can keep close to the original story, or we can branch in a different direction. I'm very open and variable to change.
o. I am prepared to play multiple characters. But you, good partner, need to worry the most about your Creature.

Thank you for your interest, and I look forward to hearing from you! Please PM me in regards to this idea, as I might miss it otherwise!

“You may my glories and my state depose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.”

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

Faustus

Bringing this search back again. This is still something I would love to deeply explore with someone.

“You may my glories and my state depose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.”

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]