The Valarian Empire (Need M&F-rulers and their brides)

Started by sansa, May 20, 2013, 11:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sansa

A century earlier, a great Empire from the east threatened to invade the western continent (Valarian),
which was made up of five great peoples with a long and bloody history between each other.
With the threat of being destroyed at their doorstep, these people banded together, each nation fighting side by side to stem the tide of this Empire.
In doing so they were victorious, and after the war was over a pact was forged. So that these nations would put aside their differences and become a single entity

The largest city in the "Dawnlands" is the capital, and one month out of the year all of the lords gather there. To discuss all manner of things. Threats outside their borders, problems within the realm, as well as negotiate marriages for themselves, their sons, and their daughters. It is known as  The Landsmeet. This is where our story shall begin.

The Five Nations:

The Dawnlands

The Land: The Dawnlands are a vast region making up the western portion of the Valarian mainland that has the distinction of bordering all 4 of the other realms of the region, making it a center point of the continent. It is known as a land of great prosperity, with golden fields of wheat stretching as far as an eye can see and sprawling cities filled with commerce and trade. This land lacks in military strength, but makes up for it with great wealth and political prowess. They were credited with bringing the pirates of the The Sundered Sea to the aid of Valarian during the invasion, as well as for brokering the pact over the 5 nations. For many centuries they waged an unending feud with the Ashlands to the east, and much of that old hate still exists to this day.

Capital City: Gallica, the largest city in all of Valarian, is the Capital of The Dawnlands. It is a great and sprawling city unlike any other in all the realms. It’s culture and history are deeply rooted in it’s paved streets and buildings. It is the most important port-city in all of the realms, sitting on the banks of the Rowan River, which flows out into the sea to the west, and serves as the de facto capital of all of the conjoined realms in peacetime.

Culture: The Dawnlands are the most highly populated realm in Valarien thanks to their rich history of culture and economy. And they're known worldwide for the high quality wine they produce and their famous pleasure houses making them a prime tourist and pleasure seeker country. The people are believed to be pompous and look down upon the less “evolved” of the other realms, believing their ways to be outdated and barbaric. And they are normally met with a great deal of animosity. It is said The Dawnlands are the birthplace of politics. The politics game is considerably more dangerous here than in other nations, with attempted assassinations happening on important figures all the time. In the last century alone there has been three different ruling families to come and go thanks to the inner workings of the governmental structure. The Ruling family of The Dawnlands is chosen by popular vote amongst the aristocracy of Gallica. Unlike many other realms, The Dawnlands respect equality between man and woman in the political scheme. Their leaders are called Viscounts.

Sexuality and Marriage: Most people of this land practice open relationships and public orgies and exhibitionism is often on display in public places. Sex and politics are a way of life for these people. Traditionally on wedding nights, the men undress the bride and carry her to the bedroom while the women undress the groom and lead him for the new couple to consummate the marriage publicly.

Ruling Family: House Reynaud

Viscount (open)
Lady Viscount (open)
Offspring (open)

The Ashlands

The Land: The Ashlands are the farthest eastern land. The land came to be known as the Ashlands because of the countless battles that have been fought there, and because of Mount Azaran, a active volcano located in far east. Azaran has erupted many times, which can be seen in the landscape. Solidified molton rock covers vast parts of the land that was once lush and green, leaving only the western half of The Ashlands inhabitable and viable for farming. When the Margrave Empire invaded from the east, it was the people of The Ashlands who held the line long enough for the remainder of the Valarian forces to arrive, and The Ashlands remained the battlefront of the war through its duration. Though hesitant, The Ashlands joined the Valarian Pact following the war, due to being weakened by great losses. They still hold an uneasy alliance. The Dawnlands for centuries were their sworn enemy, and animosity is still strong between the two realms.

Capital City: Pyre. A very old and very large fortress located in the western part of the Ashlands. It is the single largest stronghold in Valarian and houses the majority of Ashland military forces. Yearly tournaments are held at Pyre that warriors from across the five realms travel to, in order to prove their might.

Culture: The Ashlands is a military state, ruled by a Lord-Commander who governs both the people and the army in totality. Society revolves around war, and the glory to be gained from victory in battle. As well as the honor in death. Men are expected to die by the sword rather than allow old age to take them. When a boy comes of age, they are required to spend a minimum of ten years serving in the army. They are very oppressive to women in The Ashlands, allowing them very few rights of their own, and are treated like a commodity to be traded and bartered.

Sexuality and Marriage: Men in The Ashlands are allowed to marry as many women as they desire, though normally only the nobility does. Some Lord-Commanders may have several dozen wives at once, though only one can be considered the Royal Wife, with whom their children are legitimate. Ashland men have become notorious for being abusive to their women, treating them like slaves. And many women outside of the realm fear being married off to the ruling family of the land. (Focus on S/M)

Ruling Family: House Caradrin

Lord-Commander Alethor Caradrin - Odanrav
Royal Wife (open)
Son or Daughter (open)
Favored Wife (open)

Vos Senthe
- A land to the southwest, located on the edge of a vast and unnavigable dessert. Most of it's population is focused on the northern edge, and it's people are known for being isolationists and very secretive. The people tend to be darker skinned (Arabian like heritage) and very stalwart in their beliefs. The nobility is openly incestuous and in times past brother often married sister to keep lines pure. But as of the pact, they are compelled by it to marry their children to the other noble families, which they follow with a great deal of resent. They are often dressed in little and light clothing as for young poor children are often unclothed due to the heat being such a discomfort. Light and little clothing make it easy to move in and easy to remove. The people often sleep nude and some view them as odd prideful dark people. They have an intimidating quality to them but they provided great speed and fighting skills to the war as well as their many horses.

The Garden of Ice
- The farthest north land. A dreary land racked by year around cold and uncomfortable conditions. In Winter, things can often become dire and death by starvation or the cold can become common among the low born folks. It is known for being one of the most historical lands in all of Valarian. Ancient ruins of a long dead people dot the snowy landscape that none hold an answer for. The people tend to be harsh and bitter, like their land. They are perhaps the most religious nation as well. It is known for its beauty like a garden though the different rare beauty if you look past the harsh climate. In the war, they were excellent in creating attacks with fire due to their quick skills at making fires for when it is cold. They skill in hunting and provided rare finds of deer during the war. The winter citizens do not waste anything of their kills. They eat their meat or feed unwanted meat to their animals to keep them in good health, their furs are used for cloaks and blankets and often time their bones are shaped as weapons for quick use. They are a close land and most of the people know one another all quite well. They are the most religious of lands and well respected however the people themselves tend to be a bit harsh and bitter. They are not so familiar with sunlight and find the people outside their lands to be fragile and weak when they come to their lands since most can not bare the cold.

The Sundered Isle
- Seated on a large island sitting off the west coast of Valarian that for centuries was notorious for being a haven of pirates and other scoundrels of the sea. When the Empire threatened to invade a century ago, the various pirates fleets banded together and offered to aid the rest of Valarian with the promise of gold. After the war, in thanks for their efforts, they were granted the right to be their own realm. The people are the legacy of pirates, and they live up to their heritage. They are a shady people known for being swindlers and backstabbers. The rest of Valarian does not trust them, yet they must be respected because they hold the largest fleet by far of any nation of Valarian. In marriage, it is tradition for a father to wed all of his daughters to a man, no matter how many, when he has earned the right. And most men earn the right by dueling and killing any other suitors who may be seeking them. As tradition, on wedding nights of others, the brides must bed the leader of the lands before their husband.
O/O
Hello E friends. For those who've role played with me, I disappeared for a while due to lack of access to a computer and personal issues. Life has calmed down and I now have access to E and inspiration has struck me again. :)

TheHangedOne

Sounds pretty interesting. I do have two questions, though: Everybody is human, correct? And is this closer to realism, or will there be magic and the like?
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

sansa

Yes i do intend this to be closer to realism and all humans.
O/O
Hello E friends. For those who've role played with me, I disappeared for a while due to lack of access to a computer and personal issues. Life has calmed down and I now have access to E and inspiration has struck me again. :)

Sara Nilsson

*giggles* just had to say, nice update :)

Sara Nilsson

I meant that in the best way possible :)

sansa

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on May 22, 2013, 01:15:41 AM
I meant that in the best way possible :)

Thank you

--------------------------

I'm looking for rulers for each land and woman from each land who will be arranged to another land. Please express which land you'd want to be from and which land interests you to be with if you have an interest already.

We could be looking at both the young lords and the current leaders- their father.
some could be needing the wife of the leader and we will need the young ladies
O/O

RipTide

I think I could be interested in either a young woman of the Vos Senthe or the Dawnlands. Not sure which. :)

Posting Rate = 1-2 posts/story/week

What Does a Siren Crave? === What Does a Siren Prefer?

sansa

Its hard to choose isn't it Xp I'm still trying to figure where I myself wish to go.
O/O

Eliza

I can see myself being a young lady in the Ashlands.

What is the climate for the Ashlands, knowing that it's a war-torn landscape?

Red Offerings

aaagh, must resist joining another RP! -shakes fist at sansa-   >:(

;D
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

Belisuavious

I'd like to play as a noble in the Ashlands, or as an important pirate captain from the Sundered Isles

TheGlyphstone

Very nice proto-setting, is there more to read or is it still a work in progress?

I'll play a male chieftain from the Garden of Ice, or the Sundered Isles as my second choice.

Odanrav

It's still a work in progress Glyphstone as we continue to expand and flesh out the lands and history. So stay tuned in the next couple days as we do that. We'll put up a character sheet soon as well since interest is picking up :). Thanks to you, Jecter, and Red Offerings for your interest!

Jecter: My own character, Alethor, will be the leader of The Ashlands. But everything else is open. The heir, a brother, a top General in the army are some possibilities to think about. The Sundered Isles is completely open and in need of a leader if you'd like to go that route. I'm thinking the title of their leader would be "First Captain" and command their armada.

Glyphstone: A chieftan, yes that's a good title. I'm thinking that they are leaning towards being a more barbaric and less advanced culture. A people who value strength above all else in their leaders. Same goes for the Sundered Isles as I said for Jecter.

TheGlyphstone

Strength, definitely. Not stupid or savage, but Barbaric in the sense of Conan - free of the trappings of civilization, harsh and reverent to equally harsh god(s?) who tolerate no weakness or slackness in their followers. Envious of the wealth and material resources of the southern, warmer nations, but at the same time contemptuous of the personal and physical weakness that leads them to rely on that superior wealth and weaponry.

Am I going in the right direction?

Odanrav

Sansa and I are still developing this, so there's not really a "right direction" as of yet =P. But I do like your thoughts on it. A people who endure the worst hardships of any of the other realms. They are very close knit and very strong willed. It was primarily Sansa's creation, so I'd have to hear her thoughts on it as well, but I imagine she'll like your direction.

TheGlyphstone

Okay, I'll reign in for a bit, since this is your/her setting. I have a bad habit of letting my inner world-builder get carried away, and have to remind myself not to tread on other people's toes. :D

Odanrav

On no you're not. I can speak for us both in saying the more ideas being put out there the merrier. We just want to create a big and detailed world of differing peoples. Hell if you'd like to take over a leadership role of the Northern Realm, she may just offer you the reigns of it entirely. If there's anymore thoughts you'd like to offer to what we're doing in general it would be appreciated.

TheGlyphstone

You have no idea what you're getting into. :D I'll gladly let loose the juice once Sansa is back and gives the okay, just so I know it's unanimous from both creators.

Odanrav

Hey I share your passion for world building :). I contacted sansa about the idea and offered my aid to her in making it. Maybe you can PM her about it, so not to clog the request thread. Or we can possibly open a OOC chat.

sansa

Woohoo! Off of work and all this :3

I love ideas! Please feel free to let go on any ideas you have! Roleplaying isnt just my fantasies but the fantasies of my partners. When i get to a computer i can get more involved.
O/O

TheGlyphstone

*cracks knuckles*

I'll get to brainstorming then.

I'm thinking my planned character will be younger - the chieftain-heritor, rather than the current chief (who's elderly, and likely to die soon) of the most powerful of a coalition of tribes/villages that collectively rule most of the Garden of Ice. He's been sent south to find a bride amongst those available in the other nations, to form a potential blood tie with a powerful southern state.

I'm also picturing the Ice tribes to have very little metal because of their environment and the need to use what heat they have for warmth and cooking, so like mentioned at threadstart, they salvage everything they can from what they kill, and use a lot of bone, wood, and leather in crafts. Most of their metal could come from trade, or from one tribe who lives in the shadow of a semi-volcanic mountain, mastering geothermal heat to perform a small amount of smelting that still makes them one of the richest tribes. This may or may not overlap with the first idea.

Eliza

Once the character sheets are up, I'll get to making a daughter of the Ashlands.

sansa

Quote from: Red Offerings on May 22, 2013, 07:50:48 PM
aaagh, must resist joining another RP! -shakes fist at sansa-   >:(
Oh you love me! ;)

Eliza, I have Odanrav's character sheet that he sent to me so I will post his sheet to give you an idea- his character is from the Ashlands.
That is the only character sheet I currently have. I am trying to decide what character I myself would like to play.
And... yea. I'm a little sleepy and trying to catch up on some RPs and such so I'm sorry if my full attention is not on right now! lol
O/O

Odanrav

Here, I'll post it. Not real extensive, but hopefully gets the job done. You can add the template to the opening post Sansa.

[b]Name:[/b]

[b]Realm:[/b] (which realm was he/she born into, and which does she belong to now if she has been married off)

[b]Positions:[/b] (Lord, Heir, Lady, etc.)

[b]Appearance:[/b] (Written and/or picture)

[b]Character Summary:[/b] (Brief description of his/her past, personality, and beliefs)

[b]Sexuality:[/b]

Name: Alethor Caradrin II

Realm: The Ashlands

Positions: Lord-Commander of The Ashlands, and General of the combined armies of Valarian

Appearance:
The Lord-Commander is a forty-two year old imposing figure of a man. He stands at 6’1” and weighs 190 lbs. out of his armor. He often carries a long sword and shield into battle, but has been known to use war hammers as well. Rarely is he seen outside of his black and crimson royal armor, but underneath it he possesses a toned and muscular form, honed by a lifetime of training and waging war. His skin is a fair shade, with black curly hair, and a clean shaven face.

Character Summary: Alethor was born the first legitimate son to his father and predecessor and raised in Pyre. The typical raising tradition of an heir was given to him with the finest combat training one could receive in all of the realms, and the teaching of warfare and tactics. He learned quickly, and became adept in the art of war. He, like every other boy of the age, joined the army at sixteen and served in it for eight years. Then, his father Alethor I, died of a strange illness. Some whispered the true cause to be poison, killed by the hands of one of the many enemies he made in life. Possibly from The Dawnlands.

After his father’s demise, Alethor ascended to reign at the young age of twenty four, and he has held the title of Lord-Commander since. He has ruled in the traditional way, with an iron fist, and is both feared and hated by many of the rulers of the other realms. His schemes and tactics are often cold, calculating, and ruthless. Yet they are nearly always successful in their intended goal. Labeled as both a war monger and a man of great depravity, he has become known throughout Valarian as a violent and lust filled man. Yet a genius tactician, more than capable of leading armies to victory.

Sexuality: Alethor is a legitimate sadist who enjoys inflicting pain (only to a small to moderate degree) upon his vast number of wives, and practically requires it in order to become aroused. He demands his partners to be submissive, believing his place as a man to be in the dominant role (something deeply entrenched in Ashlands culture).

Belisuavious

I'm feeling nautical, so I'll grab the First Captain spot.

I'm thinking he'd be more of a first among equals than a stable ruler, dependent on having a majority of his captains on his side to stay in power. Maybe there would be some kind of election system to bring in the newest leader, who all the important captains can agree is the best to lead them.

Silk

I'm interested in being an prospects bride but until I get my laptop back next week posting will be scarcenat best (just can't do big posts on a tablet)

Odanrav

Jecter: That sounds excellent! We'll likely have The Sundered Isles fleshed out soon-ish, but feel free to go ahead and make a character. Since you'd like the leadership role we'll take any kind of ideas you may have for the realm (like being elected  by popular vote) and incorperate them. :)

Silk: Welcome Silk and thanks for your interest! Is there any particular land that you're thinking of being a noble daughter of? We also probably won't have the number we're looking for to start this until early next week, so no worries about the laptop.

sansa

I'm going out of town tonight for the weekend guys! I will try to post if I can at all, otherwise expect to hear from me on Monday. I leave any questions that I can not answer to Odanrav XP
O/O

Silk

Not entirely sure yet, leaning to being a rare flower bloomed in the garden of ice though

Odanrav

Sounds like a plan Silk! Glyphstone has expressed interest in being the heir-apparent in that realm as well, so maybe you both can work together on something.

It seems as though Sansa has left me in charge for now (I'll try not to screw it up!), so if you have any questions feel free to ask. Otherwise I'll continue to work on delving deeper into the other lands, and give folks more to consider and think about.

Silk

Well I'm new ot looking to be heir apparent as it were main draw is the substantial religious undertones involved with the land, sort of a Joan of arc-esque figure minus the war and miricles, just a woman who through either prophecy or deed is looked at with some reverence and is otherwise seen as a woman with some esteem that many lords would like to capitalized on. Given the realism of the game its a lot more she's seen to have these sorts of traits, not that she actually has any sort of mystical traits. At the very most the frozen land would otherwise not bother her like everyone else.

TheGlyphstone

You are looking to be the heir, or you're not? I think you typo'd up something in the first sentence there.

Odanrav

I think I caused the confusion Glyph. I did not mean that you both were looking to be the heir. Just pointing out to Silk that Glyph would be the heir of the same realm, and the two of you may could work together. Especially if they are in the same family.

Silk

It was a typo, I'm not looking to be heir but due to the religious nature of the ice land she is still somewhat of a prize

TheGlyphstone

Okay. cool.

Do you want to be related? From politically allied tribes/families? Or even the opposite, politically opposed tribes/families (whatever our personal feelings)?

Also, how do you feel about drawing primarily on Eskimo/Inuit culture to style the Garden of Ice peoples around? Everyone and their grandma tends to make 'northern ice-people' budget-grade Vikings, and budget-grade always tastes funny.

sansa

I'm back :)
I haven't updated myself on where we are in progressing this story

May i ask who is interested in playing what so that i know what characters need to be filled?
O/O

Marie Reynolds

So the naval technology is it triremes style fleets or more cannon bearing ships.

Belisuavious

I think it should be closer to the cannon style of ship, though I'm not sure if there will be any cannons. While I like triremes, I love the sleek and fast schooners and such.

I should also get a character sheet up, so here you go:

Name:William Flyte

Realm: Sundered Isles

Positions: First Captain

Appearance: William is 5'10 and 178 pounds. He is 25 years old and has a lithe swashbuckler build. His skin is very tanned from the time he spends at sea

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Character Summary: William is the great-grandson of one of the driving captains behind uniting to face the Empire, and the man who held the the position of First Captain when the war had ended.  Jacob Flyte ruled for 25 years, though that it was a very loose term to use. The captains were stille very powerful and resentful of having an overlord, so business continued as usual for the Sundered Isles. It seemed that the Sundered Isles wouldn't last as a nation unless some sort of unifying power was forced upon them.

Jacob's youngest son, also named William, was elected by the gathering of the Captains as an honour to the man who had united them. That was what the major captains all said, though the real reason was because they believed the 16 year old boy would be easy to control and allow them to reign unchecked. This period only lasted for five years before William emerged from the shadows of the men who had slithered around his position, treating him like a simple figurehead while they did as he pleased. He was a first class duelist and used his talent to impress a crew to follow him, and he began to smash the captains who had denied him his powers.

After a ten year  struggle, William managed to hammer the unruly city of pirates into a slightly more manageable state. While they remained pirates, they all agreed to follow a simple set of rules laid down by William. These were more or less the unofficial rules of the ship itself, though William had expanded it to make the entire nation the ship, and the First Captain it's captain. The laws were simple: You pay a share of your haul to the First Captain, and give him your support. In return, the Captain has your back and ensures that everyone is being dishonest at more or less the same level.

It was to this life of leadership that his son, Rob, was raised, and the man proved to be a drunken lout once he got married, somehow staying sober long enough to defeat the other suitors. Rob had a talent for two things, drinking and dueling, and when he was sober enough to hold a sword steady, it was a wonder to watch him work. Of course, he was barely sober, but when he was, he managed to win the daughters of a wealthy captain.

At the age of 50, William the Elder stepped down from the position of First Captain, feeling that he was too old for the rigors of statecraft and captaining a ship anymore. Rob was not elected, since by this time the captains who were electors wanted a strong ruler, to keep their rivals in check, not a fool who would allow them to flout the laws that were now imposed upon them.

William the Younger, as he was called when he was born, spent most of his time in his grandfather's company. William was the youngest son, just like his grandfather, and perhaps this is why he took the boy under his wing. William was proud to stay out of his father's drunken, stumbling shadow, and barely even touched liquor when it was offered. The one thing he managed to learn from his father was a bit of swordwork, during one of the few times he was sober enough to teach him.

Now, at 25 the old First Captain has died. William the Elder spent a lot of his influence to convince a small number of the captains to support his grandson. With these captains spreading the word of William the Youngers suitability, the young man led a daring raid to the far south and returned laden down with precious jewels and rare spices, though a third of the crew had died facing whatever dangers were down there. Most of the stories are written off as the usual exaggeration, while William remains tight lipped about the subject.

The success of this voyage and the whispers spread by his grandfather launched him into the position of First Captain, and he is determined to do his grandfather, now an old man who had spent much of his energy gaining William his position and is now close to death, proud.

Sexuality: William has yet to marry, though that hasn't stopped him from dallying with the various women of the city. He enjoys himself most when his partner is enjoying herself, and likes to please them. He isn't submissive though, he just likes feedback.