Shared World...

Started by Apple of Eris, December 08, 2008, 06:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apple of Eris

So, I talked about this in the spring I think, and after some serious thought have decided to try and revive this idea.

Does anyone remember the Thieves' World series of books? They're set in the seediest town in creation, Sanctuary. Poor, wealthy, powerful, and weak all try and eke out a living in this living hell of a city.

Basically I'd like to try and set up our own version of this shared world, but with a fresh start, unencumbered by the canon stories set in the world of Sanctuary.

Therefore I've been working on my own version, different name, same bad attitude of a city.

So, here is how it would work. I'll create some major NPC's, I'll have some general 'plot points' of things occurring throughout the city. Every writer will make up their own Character, get that character approved and it will go into a character pool. In that pool any writer can use ANY character, but you can't use them up unless they're your own.

Example: In the character pool I have a character name Aluriel the Seamstress who is featured in one of my stories. Bob decides Aluriel would make a good character in one of his. He checks with me, asks for a little input on how she might react in a certain situation, then he uses her - though he may not cripple or maim her or otherwise use up my character - without my permission.

Yes, this means characters may change voice from story to story, but you also get a fresh perspective from each writer.

I'll be providing the opening and closing stories  for the first 'series', which I would like to see as a bunch of short stories set over the course of a single year.

It'll take some managing to pull of, but I think it would be a great writing exercise for us and a LOT of fun, and if it gets big enough, maybe we could even get our own little section for ease of management.

Anyway, I know this is kind of rambling, but I'm just throwing this idea out there for now. If anyone is interested, I'll start putting it together and hopefully in a few weeks we can start warming up some pens and pencils and get to writing!
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

TickTockMan

I've been thinking of something similar for a while now. I was going to do it in real life, though, so a lot of the conventions I was going to use would be different.

I assume this is freeform?
"You don't respect those people very much, Y.T., because you're young and arrogant. But I don't respect them much either, because I'm old and wise."