News:

Main Menu

Dr Who anyone?

Started by spiritdancer, May 27, 2010, 08:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGerbilyOne

Definitely a fan here, even have a couple of cheesy fan characters based around the series.

My first encounter with the series was when PBS was showing a select portion of Tom Bakers episodes long long ago. I remember the way everyone looked at me when I started talking about it at school, because of course Star Trek and Star Wars dominated.

Its a fun little series, which likes to not focus on the shooty shooty blow stuff uppy part of science fiction. That I can definitely get behind.

spiritdancer

Ouhhh... Just got some Soundtracks from the series since 2005. I can't wait till I can get my hands on the OST to the newest season! This one is so very, very awesome!

And by the way, is it just me, or ... does the new Tardis have quite some elements of a Pinball machine? And does the music not fit that theme, too? Whenever I listen to the what a friend of mine called "The Doctor's gonna be awesome"-theme, I have to think, that this theme would make a wonderful theme for a Pinball machine, too.

Anyone here know or remember Pro Pinball: Timeshock! ? ... Okay, I guess I'm derailing my own thread a bit here.
Ons and Offs

Currently looking for players: [EX various] Superheroines/villainesses - Souls Lost - RP Idea - especially canon (marvel and DC) characters wanted, see link

Behold: The Star towers of the Electic Castle! See how it embraces the sky!
How insignificant the mere mortal, dwarfed by the majesty of its electric edifice.

King_Furby

yea the opening theme of the latest season sucks, so i'm glad i can skip past it. I think donna nobel was the best companion so far. I love the episode were tennant drank the cynide and for the cure needed a "shock" and nobel kissed him..lol great look on the doctors face. Amy Pond is just anoying i hope they replace her next season, she just seems like a younger more nieve rose, though if i were the doc..i'd tap that, Amy is cute =)

spiritdancer

I don't share your opinion on the opening theme (it sounds more classical yet modern. Not as driving, but more ominous, looking. I love that).
I also don't share your opinion on Amy and you'll be disappointed because it seems she'll stay on the show for another season. Which makes me happy. And the comparison to Rose doesn't really hold true. Just remember Rose with the BFG. She was so hands-on there, and it was very fitting. I can't imagine Amy being like that. Ever. (Just one example)

And now, let the Flamewar begin! HAH!
Ons and Offs

Currently looking for players: [EX various] Superheroines/villainesses - Souls Lost - RP Idea - especially canon (marvel and DC) characters wanted, see link

How insignificant the mere mortal, dwarfed by the majesty of its electric edifice.

King_Furby

flame war, nah i respect your viewpoint. i just don't like Amy. I just want to see more daleks! I wonder if the slavene will show up this season. I want to see jack harkness meet the new doc.

Stan'

More Daleks is the last thing we need.

spiritdancer

It's LEGO Daleks now! ... But honestly I don't mind the new looks. And I prefer other dangers than the Daleks, too. The creepy dangers. Those that we have not yet encountered and those that are harder to grasp.

One of the most powerful episodes in this regard (though not the best) was the Shakespearean one, where those hags tried to open a portal through their homeworld.
It was magic, yet it was not yet magic. IMO there we have seen magic handled like it should be handled. With a set of rules, to show how it works and what you can do with it. Not just *snip* anything goes.
Ons and Offs

King_Furby

i can't wait tillthe new dr who adventure game comes out

Teno

I actually just finished the game/episode. It's not bad for a freebie, though the fact that you get instakilled if the daleks spot you is rather annoying. *shrugs* Did have a little bit of the episode vibe too, though it would probably be better if it was left to the actors ;)

King_Furby

yea i'm waiing for a us version, so far haven't seen one. Damn Uk lol

elliedark

Can't wait to get the new episode tonight. Looks action packed and awesome with Vincint Van Gogh !
All that is and never was joining hands just because.
Ellie's O/O

spiritdancer

IMO it was not only awesome, it was one of the awesomest episodes ever! (Yeah! I know! I'm supposed to say "most awesome", if anything ;) )
Ons and Offs

spiritdancer

My personal favourite scene: When the three of them are lying on the ground, staring up at the stars. You probably can't do much better than that.

This is one of the very few scenes, where the imagery is really at its best. I wish that were more often the case with this show. Moments like this remind me of the movie "The Fountain".
Ons and Offs

elliedark

Oh I know! I just watched yesterday and that scene was incredible. Definitely one of my favorite scenes and a brilliant portrayal of an artists mind.
All that is and never was joining hands just because.
Ellie's O/O

Ramster

Best episode of the series, by far! And I'm also pleased to see the back of Rory; I'm sick to the teeth of the Doctor's companions' moronic boyfriends in recent series.
Leave not a piss untaken, nor a Michael unappropriated.
A/As!!!
Knight of the Order of the Pizza

Nulla gratuitas sine anchoa

spiritdancer

Just wait for it. I doubt it'll end there.
Ons and Offs

Imogen

I remember watching Dr Who when I was a kid and my anger when my parents turned off the TV because I couldn't sleep at night, too busy inventing new adventuring for Peter Davison, the Daleks and so many other Tardis travellers. My husband kinda shares my memories, although for him the first doctor was Tom Baker.

When the new series came out, we both postponed watching for fear of being disappointed and seeing treasured childhood memories assaulted.

Much to our surprise, we LOVED the new series. The first new doctor was brilliant, he had the mood down and the writers had done an excellent job of transplanting the much loved, old ingredients into today's world. I am in awe at how well the Doctor fits in this time, and I take my hat off to the authors. We are currently watching David Tennant as the Doctor, and I have to admit he does a good job although his cuteness factor is a wee bit too high for my personal taste. Still, he moved me to tears in the Pompadour episode and had me sitting on the edge of my seat in others.

I'm glad for a couple of episodes without Daleks though, and I am cheering at the Silence in the Library currently. We're in the middle of that story, so no spoilers please! :-)

BTW, did anyone else enjoy the plot around Jack, the time travel agent? It had my hubby and me giggling madly, we so should have seen that one coming, but we didn't, and it made for a great laugh.
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Stan'

It's one of the few week points of the current Doctor Who/Torchwood series.  Rose, Amy and that lassie from Torchwood -- I think her name is Gwen -- all have boyfriends that require the women to hold their hand at every turn.  It's getting a little annoying.  Yes, yes... we know they're strong female characters -- but that doesn't mean you have to turn all the men on earth in to useless idiots to reinforce it.

spiritdancer

That problem is not limited to Doctor Who. Apparently it si very very hard to do the relationship and "strengths" between the genders "just right". Either the men devolve into idiots (I saw that with Mickey. Rickey. Err. Whatever. I don't see that really with Rory. He's not outstanding, but I don't really think he's an idiot.) or the women constantly need their support and are basically just there to give the men an excuse to be strong at key elements of the story. It annoys the hell out of me.

What would really thrill me would be a female Doctor, but I guess that is very hard to do right and it's not gonna happen anyway. Timelord reincarnation seems to keep the gender. Sadly.
Ons and Offs

Imogen

I didn't mind the Mickey/Ricky thing so much. In fact, i thought it refreshing to see a character admit he didn't dare to go to different worlds and rather stay at home, be it a guy or a girl. I liked the character for it, and enjoyed it even more when he grew into a hero via the Ricky storyline. I think he was meant to be a minor character and those usually don't get the kind of development a main character gets, which is, I think, as it should be. In that light, Mickey had a good storyline, and I liked how he grew from a liability to an asset.
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Cythieus

I don't think I have met anyone who actually watched the old Doctor Who today and liked it. As for the new series I find it pretty enjoyable and well written. It only seems to be fans of the old series who complain about it. I've tried watching the old and its funny some of the time but I really just can't get into it. There are brilliant enjoyable moments and there is some important stuff. But I don't think anyone who really watches the two shows from a clean slate has complained about the new one more than the old.

Also, I am glad Torchwood is back, for them to have ended after Children of Earth--which was probably some of the best writing Torchwood ever saw, would have been a travesty.

Edit: I hated Rory, it seemed like him being there ruined Amy's character and he was just boring. He never struck me as being interesting or likable in the least and the only good quality he had was being Matt smith's punching bag.

spiritdancer

The thing with fans of the old series and new series getting hard into the opposite for fans of either might be partially due to the differences in storytelling. It's like you try to read a comic series from the 80s nowadays. It can be hard. It can even be painful. The style in storytelling in TV series these days has definitely changed lot compared to 20 years back.
Ons and Offs

TheGerbilyOne

Quote from: elliedark on June 08, 2010, 12:58:33 AM
Oh I know! I just watched yesterday and that scene was incredible. Definitely one of my favorite scenes and a brilliant portrayal of an artists mind.

My personal favorite scene was Gogh being taken into the future and getting to see all his paintings hung up in a museum of the worlds best artists. The actor got that pitch perfect, and I had to say, his crush on Amy was cute. He didn't push to much, but at the same time he was definitely interested in this strange woman.

Agreed on all counts, not only is this one of the best "Doctor meets a historical figure" episodes, it is also one of the best episodes of NuWho hands down.

Cythieus

Quote from: spiritdancer on June 08, 2010, 08:05:27 AM
The thing with fans of the old series and new series getting hard into the opposite for fans of either might be partially due to the differences in storytelling. It's like you try to read a comic series from the 80s nowadays. It can be hard. It can even be painful. The style in storytelling in TV series these days has definitely changed lot compared to 20 years back.

Having studied writing a lot, I get that. If I were to write a novel like it was the 1950s, I would have a hard time selling it in today's market. It seems people don't get that. I really try to view things through new glasses when looking at them in different time periods.

Quote from: TheGerbilyOne on June 08, 2010, 08:11:09 AM
My personal favorite scene was Gogh being taken into the future and getting to see all his paintings hung up in a museum of the worlds best artists. The actor got that pitch perfect, and I had to say, his crush on Amy was cute. He didn't push to much, but at the same time he was definitely interested in this strange woman.

Agreed on all counts, not only is this one of the best "Doctor meets a historical figure" episodes, it is also one of the best episodes of NuWho hands down.

I almost cried when they took him to that museum. That was probably one of the best moments this season.

GeekFury

Quote from: Azrael, Archangel of Death on June 08, 2010, 08:20:46 AM
I almost cried when they took him to that museum. That was probably one of the best moments this season.

I was the same!

But I disagree with the hate to Rory, while I personally didn't like him, he did feel like an anchor for Amy instead of her falling in love with the Doctor from the get go, as to be honest I am SICK of these new contrived love plots for the Doctor, be wit Rose or Martha and yes I know it's always been there, but come on Rose had Mickey and Amy had Rory, and both straight away basically forgot they had a boyfriend to fall in love with the Doctor, hell Amy was about to get MARRIED. Honestly the heart breaking goodbye to Rose was handled really well I felt and even when he left the Human Time Lord Meta Crisis with Rose. ( Dues Ex Machina at it's finest. )

This maybe why in The End of Time I loved Wilf so much as the Doctors companion there, as there was no forced love object but a man who saw the Doctor as all that was good in the universe, as for Wilf the Doctor saw him as all that was good in humanity and when Wilf said he'd have been proud to be the Doctors father to the Master and later the Doctor saying he'd be proud for Wilf to be his father I was really moved. Also the finale when Wilf was locked in the radiation chamber got me, I had thought 'Wow he beat the Master he's not going to die, but how are they going to swing his regeneration?' and then you hear Wilf knocking on the glass and see the Doctor's face drop as he realises it wasn't the Master but Wilf who was his killer. Even when he said to Wilf's plea to leave him 'Oh well fine then, I'll be off', you know he couldn't leave Wilf and as angry as he was at him for being stupid and getting locked in there, he couldn't let him die as he loved Wilf, loved him as the father he probably wished he had and when he told him it'd be his honour to die for Wilf I was on the verge of breaking down and weeping at just how sad that was.

Wow that was rather the rant for me..

But yeah, don't hate on Rory, hate on the fact they always have to find away to crowbar in Doctor/Companion love story, even if Matt Smith's Doctor is trying really hard to not lead Amy on. Also as teeth grindingly annoy as Cathrine Tate was ( NOT a fan of her at all, in any capacity. ) at least she was there to be the Doctor's friend not his love intrest.