Star Wars The Old Republic. Recruitment and Interest check.

Started by Batman4560, March 07, 2014, 12:31:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batman4560

A Long Time Ago In A Galaxy Far Far Away...

Star Wars

Two years has passed since the Jedi Exile Meetra trained a new council of Jedi and left after her former master Revan in order to aid him in his struggle against an unseen foe. After being exiled by the new Jedi Council, Atris moved to the edge of the known Galaxy on an un-named planet and secretly took her Sith artifacts and Holocrons with her. Unknown to the once again recovering Republic, an advanced Sith scouting group made up of mostly Zabrak arrived on the same planet that Atris sought Exile on. Remembering what Kreia once said to her. "There must always be a Darth Traya." Atris aided the  Sith and gave the dark Jedi among them powerful Sith Artifacts to increase their already impressive power and offered them a home on the planet.

Shortly after Atris discovered her "home" was actually a space station built by followers of the Sith teachings thousands of years ago. The station had the power to teach long forgotten Sith teachings to those seeking more power through a mental connection to the space station.

From the shadows of nine other Sith lords the new Darth Traya leads a battle on Dxun against Mandalore the Preserver and his forces. Finding himself overwhelmed by the new Sith and their power Mandalore sends out a distress message to his friends. Mission and Zaalabar intercept the message on board the recently discovered Ebon Hawk and travel to Dantooine to tell the council who is meeting with Carth and Bastilla. After hearing the plea for help the Jedi Masters Atton, Bao-Dur, Mical, Visas Marr, and Mira decide this is a threat that cannot be overlooked.

While the Masters cannot leave the Academy without its leaders they decide to send their brightest to Dxun to aid in the battle or save as many Mandalorians as possible. Carth, Bastilla, Mission and Zaalabar also give the names of other promising men and women who would be willing to help in the Padawan's mission. After being assembled the unlikely group land on Dxun by way of the Ebon Hawk to do what they can to help....

I am looking for no more than eight players for this game, all of who would be the heroes but I would be willing to work with some if they would like to go over to the dark side. However some people that follow the darkside might want to stop the new Sith and aid the Jedi in this case. The Game would start off on Dxun with the players just touching down on the Jungle moon or meeting up with allies there.

I would be playing the villains of the game and any npc's. However if anyone is interested in helping Co-Gm this with me I would not turn down the help. This game is going to run on the Saga system for the Star Wars table top game. I am learning it currently so bare with me once the game starts.

OOC thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=198941.0

Rhaegar14

I won't quite confirm interest, but two points:

1) The Sith have not yet put the Rule of Two in place during the KOTOR games.

2) If you have any interest in making this a system game, the Star Wars SAGA rpg is pretty well built.
Pretty much scrapped my signature because everything in it is hilariously out of date. I might work on fixing that eventually.

Batman4560

I know that during the Old Republic that the Sith didn't place the Rule of Two but for some Reason I always got the vibe that they followed it without realizing they were doing so. I would love to do a system game but I don't have any of the books to do so with. What is the Star Wars Saga rpg?

Kekec

I would be interested if more people sign up.

About the setting: how much time has passed since the plot of KOTOR II? Because, if I remember correctly, the Jedi Order was in shambles throughout the game, and I want to know if the Jedi were recruited hastily or if some time passed while reestablishing the Order.

Arion

The Saga Edition of the Star Wars Role Playing Game was a very streamlined and polished version of the d20 system rules.  There were five classes (Jedi, Noble, Scoundrel, Scout, and Soldier), and each class had several talent trees that you could go down to specialize your character (ex, you could play a Soldier and run through the "Brawler" talent tree while the person next to you might run a soldier as well but go down the "Commando" tree, creating two similar but very different characters).  There were 14 books in all, and they covered most of the time periods; the old, OLD Republic (we're talking Exar Kun days here) wasn't covered, nor was the specific SWTOR period (though they did put out a book specifically covering the KOTOR games).

If you're looking to make it a system game, it's a pretty good system to use.  Not as fast or flowing as the WEG D6 system, but miles better than the clunky and slow d20 system books that came out previously. 

All that said, I'll toss my hat in, though if I had my druthers I'd say go with systemless (not that a system game deters me). 
"The flesh surrenders itself.  Eternity takes back its own.  Our bodies stirred these waters briefly, danced with a certain intoxication before the love of life and self, dealt with a few strange ideas, then submitted to the instruments of Time.  What can we say of this?  I occurred.  I am not... yet, I occurred."     -Frank Herbert

"I've rambled with the worst of them, fell in love with a harlequin, saw the darkest hearts of men, and I saw my self staring back again, and I saw my self staring back again."    -Bartholomew, The Silent Comedy; If you do not think that this is one of the greatest songs ever written... You.  Are.  Wrong.

<a href="https://www.f-list.net/c/arion99">My F-List

kckolbe

I am a fan of the setting and prefer system, and also agree that Saga is a decent system as long as no supplements are allowed.  I think the supplements allowed way too many Jedi options, allowing too many replacement options.  We may be a bit heavy on males, though.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Arion

Oh, no kidding.  During a campaign we ran IRL, we had a guy at fourth level able to levitate a building and drop it on top of a platoon of Stormtroopers.  The force powers got crazy, especially once they added in the Force Unleashed stuff.

Depending on how the orientation of the characters breaks down, having too many of one gender shouldn't be a problem.  Unless the story requires things to be more or less even, of course.
"The flesh surrenders itself.  Eternity takes back its own.  Our bodies stirred these waters briefly, danced with a certain intoxication before the love of life and self, dealt with a few strange ideas, then submitted to the instruments of Time.  What can we say of this?  I occurred.  I am not... yet, I occurred."     -Frank Herbert

"I've rambled with the worst of them, fell in love with a harlequin, saw the darkest hearts of men, and I saw my self staring back again, and I saw my self staring back again."    -Bartholomew, The Silent Comedy; If you do not think that this is one of the greatest songs ever written... You.  Are.  Wrong.

Batman4560

Wow, looks like this is gaining interest fast. I would be happy to use the system but I have to learn it first. IT seems like almost everyone wants the system or at least would be o.k. with it.

To answer a few questions, I am making some assumptions based on KOTOR from what little I have been able to find.

1- During KOTOR2 there was no jedi order. The Order was all in hiding at different locations and Atris was planning on rebuilding it using Sith Holocrons. It was only rebuilt after the Exile trained her force sensitive crew members on the Ebon Hawk. (All the humans except Mandalore) After she leaves them, they form a new Jedi order. I would say this game would take place about five years or so after KOTOR 2. The Jedi would mostly consist of those who either survived the Mandalorian wars and wanted to redeem themselves and other force sensitive. Thus resulting in a majority of the current order only being Padawans.

kckolbe

So, would the NPC crew of the Hawk from the game be the teachers?  Atton Rand, Handmaiden, etc?
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Batman4560

Yes, however I would be using the Historian Mical as this game assumes the cannon that the Exile was a woman. But yes the NPC's of Atton and Crew would make up the council.

Batman4560

So it turns out my wife has the first starwars book in the SAGA system. It seems alot like D&D. if everyone is cool with it I would like to use this system.

Arion

Batman, if you're up to it, head down to your local bookstore or library and see if they have the "Essential" series of books for Star Wars.  They've got one for each aspect of the setting, including a history/chronology one that covers each time period in a good deal of depth.  It may help with fleshing out your setting for the game.

Batman4560

I wish I had a local book store. But Ill see if I can find it on ebay or something. Is Essential part of the SAGA series?

So just so I know, is anyone actually really wanting to play this?

kckolbe

What's the essential series?  I have the Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide.

I would like to know how the characters would be "related" at the start (would we need to be connected to a Jedi or to the Academy?), and what type of game you are hoping for (intrigue, space battle, covert ops, hack and slash). 

EDIT:  Without knowing anything, am leaning toward some kind of noble/soldier hybrid. 

Intro Thread

Batman4560

I have no idea what the Essential series is. :(

I don't think you would have to be connected to a Jedi or the Academy but that all really depends on what classes you all chose. Ill work with each player so they are happy with how they know the other members of the game.

The type of Game I am hoping for would include a little of all the things you mentioned at first, then after seeing what everyone likes best I would tailor the rest of the game to try and fit that style as often as possible.

It's good to know you are going for a noble/soldier hybrid. We could easily say that your character escaped some of the now invading Sith as they started their attack on Dxun.

kckolbe

I will say that I would love to see a little space combat, since that isn't an option in a lot of games.  I might have my character, now somewhat civilized, have a bit of Mandalorian heritage.  Maybe he was visiting as a kind of rite, perhaps a trial required before he can legally inherit family property (in his parents' wills that way). 

Still undecided on race, considering Cerean, Human, Durese (barely), Twilek, and Zabrak.  Possibly other races depending on what is allowed outside of the main book.  Again, when it comes to class options, especially Jedi options, strongly recommend only allowing the main book, perhaps a single feat/ability here and there if it helps the setting/story.

Intro Thread

Batman4560

Well I was thinking of allowing whatever is in the Old Republic setting guide as well but I have to pick it up first.

Arion

The Essential series of books isn't related to gaming per se, they're books stuffed with everything you could ever want to know about Star Wars.  Stuff like the Essential Atlas, which is packed with star charts and even broken down by era (for example, they have maps for the ancient old republic era, then maps for later eras that expand as new planets/systems were discovered); the Essential Chronology, which breaks down the entire history of the universe all the way back to the Infinite Empire; and the Essential Guide to Alien Species, which provides detailed info on any alien species that appeared in the films and a few other sources.

There's also a Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia that goes into a lot of detail about everything from the SWTOR MMO.

They're not gaming books, but rather very detailed reference books that are pretty nice to have around when you're working out a story/game/whatever.

Batman4560

I see, if I can find them Ill pick em up. If not then I can just wiki the stuff I need.

kckolbe

Okay.  I decided that I want to play an Arkanian male with a combination of soldier/noble.  I plan on his being good at intimidation (which is exactly what you'd expect from someone with both status and combat ability), able to hold his own in combat but nothing special, with a decent bonus to int based skills and persuasion.  Among his possible family connections, rite of combat requirement, and adequate technical skills, it should be easy to find a way in for him. 

We haven't discussed starting level, but by level 4 he would have his core ability learned (Weaken Resolve).  I would like to start at at least level 2, so his multi-classing is already taken care of.

Intro Thread

fallensaviour

so this is going to be a saga edition game? if so are you still accepting players?

Batman4560

Yeah it's going to be a Saga edition game. I am still learning it and I learn by playing so you guys will have to bear with me. Also I still need a co GM.

We are accepting players.

In addition I do think second level is fine to start off with. Ill post a character sheet once we get an OOC up. I just want to see how many players we can get to start with. I would be happy with three.

fallensaviour

i do love some saga edition :D just let me know which books are kosher

kckolbe

In the first post you said no more than eight.  Is that still the case?  Also, what kind of things do you need from a co-GM?

Intro Thread

Batman4560

As of now it is looking like the base book and the Old Republic book.

Yeah Eight players max, I don't want to bog myself down. But that can change as I get more used to the game.

Really I need someone who knows the lore and the books so I can bounce Ideas around with and that can help me when making a call on rules if they come up.

kckolbe

Hm.  I can help with rules and NPC building, but not sure if I am solid enough on the lore to be much help.

Intro Thread

fallensaviour

i'd argue at the very least the races from the other books are not bad...but you know...not running the game

Batman4560

Batman4560

O.K. so in good Star Wars fashion I put up a few paragraphs on the first post to kind of tell what the game is and offer up a small way of how everyone will know eachother. Still looking for more players but I think if Kckolbe, Fallensaviour and the person who P.M.ed me a bit ago are all in then we can start off there and add more players as the game continues.

Miroque

New padawan in training reporting in :)

Im knowledged in Saga system and huge nerdess for SW.  But, I have to point out, that my engligh might be lacking in times... so bear with me (no, Im not with bear)

Few questions have come up thou:

1) Character building rules ?
-- Lv1 I hope
-- Stats ? roll or point buy ? (and how to roll, or how much points for point buy if thats used)

2) How would you like to have the sheets ? I normally use Myth-weavers as they have nice online sheets for multiple games.

3) How much is needed on character backgrounds and such ?

4) When do we start ? (eager)

-Miro

Miroque

[Name] Vel´Kyn Adaris
[Race] Cathar
[Age] 16
[Class] Jedi Padawan

[Appearance]
Young Cathar, with grey fur. Her redish eyes sparkle with inner strength way beyond her years.

[Personality]
Vel´Kyn tries to keep her emotions in check. She is kind, just and polite, but when the floodgates open, her feral side takes over. Her feline heritage express itself with mild monophobia, as she never wants to be alone. She likes to be around people, yet shes quite cautious to make new friends.

Droids (all of them): Vel´Kyn has innate dislike of droids, maybe cause they have no emotions and by the sense, no soul, or maybe its because she cant roll them around her finger.

[Background]
Vel´Kyn is a new breed of Jedi, she was breed for war agaist the raising Sith threat and more of, the Darth Traya. She might be young, but her dedication and sheer determination has driven her to exel in those few training missions she has been part of. New Jedi order being what it is now days, padawans were into field much sooner that they did during the peaceful times, and not to police the balance, but to quick descive strikes. Vel´Kyns racial heritage makes her more that qualified for small unit tactics.
She has never liked guns, but carries one for the appearance sake, trying to fit in with the spacers.

[Gear]
Lightsaber (green), credits (??), Utitily belt, Commlink, Wristcomputer, Holonet goggles

[Character Sheet]
< work in progress >

kckolbe

Quote from: Miroque on March 11, 2014, 03:05:40 AM
New padawan in training reporting in :)

Im knowledged in Saga system and huge nerdess for SW.  But, I have to point out, that my engligh might be lacking in times... so bear with me (no, Im not with bear)

Few questions have come up thou:

-- Lv1 I hope
-- Stats ? roll or point buy ? (and how to roll, or how much points for point buy if thats used)

2) How would you like to have the sheets ? I normally use Myth-weavers as they have nice online sheets for multiple games.

3) How much is needed on character backgrounds and such ?

4) When do we start ? (eager)

-Miro

Glad to have you, and your char looks great so far (and kinda sexy).  Looks like we will be level two as of now.  I'm fairly neutral on stat generation.  I went with the 25 point buy in the book.  I think we are kind of holding off on full backgrounds for now so we can have everyone tied in enough from the start. 

So are you thinking of a sentinel type for her or more guardian? 

Looking forward to playing with you.

Intro Thread

Miroque

Whaaattt ? You dont get Consular wipe from her? Definedly guardian (two saber combatant)

kckolbe

Nice, she certainly seems agile enough for dual wielding.  I am sure she will do a lot of damage.  I am not proposing a rule change, but I don't get why lightsabers can do bonus damage from strength. 

My character will be a fairly mundane single blaster pistol or blaster rifle type, but with a few useful skills.

Intro Thread

Miroque

Yea, Saber damage should be Dex or Wis instead of Str. Same goes to Saber vs objects. Why do armors protect against them ? Sure, energyfields should protect, but not normal armors.

In our TT games, we use Dex bonus on damage and Touch attack on sabers vs normal armors. But, Im cool with normal rulings.

Miroque

About my char, I was thinking of Fringe lightsider padawan, that battles her inner beast (Cathars are quite savage species) and tries to hold on her sanity (lightside)

fallensaviour

Quote from: Miroque on March 11, 2014, 05:01:29 AM
Yea, Saber damage should be Dex or Wis instead of Str. Same goes to Saber vs objects. Why do armors protect against them ? Sure, energyfields should protect, but not normal armors.

In our TT games, we use Dex bonus on damage and Touch attack on sabers vs normal armors. But, Im cool with normal rulings.

well, there is the fact that after a certian point without some talents that i think only soldier and a hand full of prestige classes get armor is useless relativly quickly as iirc you get level to ref defense, but if you're wearing armor you get armor instead, and armor is a static number in addition, armor will limit your dex bonus to ref defense, so its usually better to run around in street clothes than armor mechanically...you know...unless you dip 3 levels of soldier for armored defense and improved armored defense

fallensaviour

also i'm still thinking on a concept...only being allowed to use two books limits usual options and choices...have to think outside the box or go old old school on it

kckolbe

Very true, fallen, on the armor issue, though generally anyone who is going to rely on armor will have some levels in soldier, so not a major problem. 

And while missing out on some options does limit concept (making a combat ready noble that *isn't* a fencer is pretty damn hard), at least you don't have to worry about competing with other players that put together a character using a combination of 8 supplements that play testers hadn't thought to consider.  It's less stressful. 

Besides, Batman seems pretty open-minded.  I'm sure if there were something from another book that really fit a concept and that we all generally thought was harmless enough, it would be allowed.

Intro Thread

Miroque

Hmm... should we talk about how and what our characters know about each other? IF anything that is.

I was tempted to ask for an droid comppanion for my padawan.. someone that would quote Jedi teachings all the time.. and more in most inconvinient times :)

kckolbe

I was gonna wait to hear some possible concepts from fallen.  As for the droid, perhaps we could buy a cheap protocol droid?  I could see my character being able to afford one.  Maybe it is also programmed with philosophical quotes about the importance of remaining nude while training.  ~crosses fingers~

Intro Thread

fallensaviour

fallensaviour

So I was thinking force sensitive who's family lost a kaggath http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kaggath since that time his family has served as slaves eventually winding up deep in hutt space where due to the sudden death of his owner he was able to slip away in the confusion eventually earning his way into a mandalorian clan

kckolbe

So, class-wise, would your char be a Jedi?  If so, which "path?" (guardian, sentinel, or consular)

Intro Thread

fallensaviour

Probably starting scoundrel or soldier just with force sensitive as a first lvl feat

kckolbe

With level 2, you could have a level of Jedi and soldier or scoundrel, giving you the feat for free.  Of course, a scoundrel/soldier hybrid works well, too.  At least, I imagine it would. 

Looks like I will make my character more noble-y than soldier-y, unless you guys want a combat focused group.

Intro Thread

fallensaviour

I was thinking sticking with soldier and scout till someone ic starts to force train me or I randomly develop lightning er I mean force rage... Er I mean force powers

fallensaviour

What his family used to be sith and the dark side is easier to pick up and learn than the light

Batman4560

Hey guys I was wondering, where do you want the In game thread and OOC thread?

To address some questions...

-- Lvl 2 to start. Everyone has had enough training to stand out from the rank and file.
--  Go ahead and use the point buy system that is in the book.

2) I am not familiar with Myth-weavers but if they have good sheets and everyone else is already familiar with the site then that is perfect for a sheet, Ill figure it out.

3) You only need as much background as you want to role play. Let me say that you will all be brought together by either Big Z and Mission, The Jedi Council, Mandalore, Carth or Bastilla so feel free to come up with a way they are related to one of those characters.

4) We will be starting by next week at the latest. Most likely before that. However I do not enforce a strict posting rate. I understand that everyone has lives outside of the game. However if someone is holding up the entire group Ill give a friendly pump to that player. :)

5) While I am not familiar with the other books for Saga, if you would like to use something in a different book run it by me. Ill look into it and give you a yes or no.

kckolbe

Thanks Batman, and glad to be in a game you are running.  As before, feel free to ask if you need help throwing together an NPC or something for the story.

The group so far:
Miroque: Level 2 Jedi, focus on melee combat (dual wield)
fallensavior: Soldier/Scout, able to use the force, good fighter
kckolbe: Noble/Soldier

Intro Thread

Batman4560

:)

Glad to have you aboard. Still I am thinking non-con exotic just to cover our bases?

fallensaviour

Scoundrel not scout I only dip scout for 1 talent that I don't think ill have access too

kckolbe

Scoundrel has some amazing talents for force users, Fool's Luck being my favorite.  +5 to all skill rolls for the entire encounter (including Use the Force), and only costs 1 force point.

Non-con exotic sounds fine enough.  Non-con scenes don't really do anything for me, but I don't mind if others are involved in them.

Intro Thread

fallensaviour

They did some errata to fools luck that makes it less cheese

kckolbe

Intro Thread

Batman4560

Miroque

I think I will drop dual wield, as its soo feat eating on Saga. And not to mention, Cathar class trick will not work while dual wielding..

Or... what about flaws (like in 3.5ed ?) flaw equals feat. That way it would give us a bit more freedom on character generation.

kckolbe

I'm not opposed to the idea of flaws, as long as they follow the standard of being 50% stronger than a feat.

Intro Thread

Batman4560

fallensaviour

Quote from: Miroque on March 11, 2014, 11:24:20 AM
I think I will drop dual wield, as its soo feat eating on Saga. And not to mention, Cathar class trick will not work while dual wielding..

Or... what about flaws (like in 3.5ed ?) flaw equals feat. That way it would give us a bit more freedom on character generation.

You get a lot of feats in saga too at least one every other level in a class and one at 1 3 6 9 12 15 18

HairyHeretic

If you have room, I'd be interested in playing. My old pen and paper group ran a Star Wars Saga campaign, and it would be fun to dust off my old character

He was an Arkanian offshoot, very much the face man of the group, and also the pilot (the offshoot skill focus was in Pilot). Brief background was that he was part of a group of genetically engineered slaves created for a Czerka subsiduary. A computer error meant that when they were delivered to their destination, the company that was supposed to have bought them was no longer in business. The factor who had charge of them saw this as an opportunity for personal profit, and was going to sell the lot of them to the Hutts. They found out about this, and that they were 'off the books', and staged a breakout. The group kept together and now runs a semi / occasionally legit import / export business out on the Fringe.

I took the first few levels in Noble to get access to the Lineage tree, Connections is a trait that very much fits the character. He's mostly Scoundrel, though a fairly charming one.

Would that work here?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Batman4560

If yo u can retro fit him to lvl 2, then I can work him into the game. Do you know the books I am allowing?

HairyHeretic

I can rebuild the character from scratch, more or less.

Core book and KOTOR wasn't it?

It'll likely be the weekend before I get a character together btw.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

fallensaviour

Batman4560

HairyHeretic

Cheers :)

I'll see if I can get a first draft to you in the next day or two.

Cattle die, kinsmen die