~ Word of the Day: Feedback & Comments! ~

Started by Blythe, March 21, 2017, 01:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kit Cat

Quote from: Liam Dale on July 11, 2018, 06:34:05 AM
OMG! I made it to the Hall of Fame! -wiggles-

Congrats Kit Cat! ^^

Oh my, I didn't even notice that!!!

Congrats Liam, you really deserve it  :-)

And thanks both x

Kit Cat

I can only apologise profusely for nimiety  >:)

Remec

Quote from: Kit Cat on July 11, 2018, 09:40:12 AM
I can only apologise profusely for nimiety  >:)

Only reason to apologize would be for not filking the entire song. But what was there was pretty good.  8-)

Flower

What an odd word today! Here's some more about it for those interested.

Shakespeare fans are well acquainted with vouchsafe, which in its Middle English form vouchen sauf meant "to grant, consent, or deign." The word, which was borrowed with its present meaning from Anglo-French in the 14th century, pops up fairly frequently in the Bard's work—60 times, to be exact. "Vouchsafe me yet your picture for my love," beseeches Proteus of Silvia in The Two Gentlemen of Verona. "Vouchsafe me raiment, bed, and food," King Lear begs his daughter Regan. But you needn't turn to Shakespeare to find vouchsafe. As illustrated by our examples, today's writers also find it to be a perfectly useful word.

Flower

Liam and Remec, I love how you're getting all those words in your posts!

Hob

Remec and Kit Cat: Love the poems! Makes me want to actually work on poetry thread again!

The Green One

Quote from: Flower on July 18, 2018, 10:28:13 AM
Thanks, Flower ^^

Not available for new stories

Kit Cat

Quote from: Justric on July 18, 2018, 05:14:00 PM
Remec and Kit Cat: Love the poems! Makes me want to actually work on poetry thread again!

Thanks Justric, it`s a fun challenge to try and fit the words in an appropriate poem, and I think I`m going to be a glutton for punishment and see how many I can fit into just one!

Flower

This is an interesting one so I decided to share.

Did You Know?

According to Greek mythology, Alkyone, the daughter of the god of the winds, became so distraught when she learned that her husband had been killed in a shipwreck that she threw herself into the sea and was changed into a kingfisher. As a result, ancient Greeks called such birds alkyōn or halkyōn. The legend also says that such birds built floating nests on the sea, where they so charmed the wind god that he created a period of unusual calm that lasted until the birds' eggs hatched. This legend prompted people to use halcyon both as a noun naming a genus of kingfisher and as an adjective meaning either "of or relating to the kingfisher or its nesting period" or "calm."

Remec

Quote from: Justric on July 18, 2018, 05:14:00 PM

Quote from: Flower on July 18, 2018, 10:28:13 AM

Thanks! I'm slowly working my way back to writing on a regular basis. Maybe I'll figure out what sort of beverage I want to make by the end of the month...hehehe

Kit Cat

Quote from: Justric on July 19, 2018, 01:25:41 PM
Just a thought, but... do those of you writing poetry also have threads in the Poetry Forum? These are good, and it would be a shame not to keep them altogether!

I created one in the Storyteller's cafe (The Cat's Scratching Post) so I could put all my poems and stories together, as well as link those I placed here and in other areas of E (after the wonderful guidance of Rhedyn).

I usually fall behind in linking all of them, but its nice to have them all in one place.

Flower

I'm constantly impressed by you guys. You're really a creative bunch.

Kit Cat

Remec, I'm now going to have Linger by the Cranberries in my head for the rest of the night, and keep thinking about the meaning you spun on it!

Great limerick :D

Hob

KitCat, the applied alliteration was both alluring and awesome as it provided ambiance to the thread!   ;D

Kit Cat

Quote from: Justric on July 25, 2018, 06:45:19 AM
KitCat, the applied alliteration was both alluring and awesome as it provided ambiance to the thread!   ;D

Thank you Justric, though the alliteration proved to be a proper pain to perform practically in poetical phrasing, so I wont be trying it very often  ;D

Hob

Quote from: Kit Cat on July 25, 2018, 04:40:53 PM
Thank you Justric, though the alliteration proved to be a proper pain to perform practically in poetical phrasing, so I wont be trying it very often  ;D

Perfectly plausible!!

Hob

Today's word is so short in its definition! So terse in its meaning! So how about some background filler from Merriam-Webster to fill it out a bit.

Did You Know?

"All the infections that the sun sucks up / From bogs, fens, flats, on Prosper fall, and make him / By inch-meal a disease!" So goes one of the curses the hated and hateful Caliban hurls in the direction of Prospero in Shakespeare's The Tempest. The origin of inchmeal is simple; the inch half is the familiar measurement, and the meal is the suffix we know from the more common word piecemeal (which shares the "gradually" meaning of inchmeal, and has several other meanings as well). An old suffix that means "by a (specified) portion or measure at a time," -meal is related to the modern German word mal, meaning "time," as in the German word manchmal, meaning "sometimes."

So, originally, the words inchmeal and piecemeal might have had to do more with time than simply small increments in general.

Flower

I looked at it and thought Shakespeare. Little did I know I was right on the money.

Hob

Structure! Poetry! And a newcomer with an interesting plot bunny! I'm loving it! The word may have been 'reticent', but you all were anything but when it came to rising to the challenge!!

The Green One

-leaves hugs-

I need to write my random words again!

Kit Cat

Quote from: Liam Dale on July 27, 2018, 07:21:28 PM
-leaves hugs-

I need to write my random words again!

Hugs back

Looking forward to reading them again. Took a leaf out of your book and decided to try and catch up with some of the oldies - a dirty dozen of 'ates'

The Green One

Quote from: Kit Cat on July 27, 2018, 07:39:08 PM
Hugs back

Looking forward to reading them again. Took a leaf out of your book and decided to try and catch up with some of the oldies - a dirty dozen of 'ates'
Oh, I'm contagious :P

Flower

CONGRATULATIONS REMEC!!
You've made it into E's WotD Hall of Fame!

Remec

The Green One