"Internal Server Error" happening more often.

Started by Caeli, November 17, 2009, 04:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caeli

QuoteInternal Server Error. This is usually caused by a timeout being exceeded, which can occur for a number of reasons - typically on file uploads taking longer than forty seconds. If you were trying to upload an exceptionally large file, you may want to contact me so I can upload it directly instead. Otherwise, it could just be a deadlock or randomness - just wait about a minute and try again. If it persists, please contact me at vekseid@elliquiy.com with details.

It's happened at least six times in the past week or so - not sure why. Usually, it fixes itself almost immediately afterwards, but thought I would let you know in case it was important.

Edit: In case it's important, I use Firefox 3.0.15 on Windows Vista. I've encountered this error both at school, and at home. And, as I mentioned below, I've never gotten this error while attempting to upload any files on Elliquiy - only while browsing/surfing the forums.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Haibane

I have never seen this at E, but then I don't move large files about, only upload small images to the Wiki. I wonder if its caused by a local traffic problem at your end Caeli?

EDIT: To clarify. I don't mean your PC or necessarily your connection but somewhere a hop or two away towards the Elliquiy server maybe?

Caeli

I have never gotten this error while attempting to upload any files on Elliquiy - only while surfing normally.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Haibane

Okay, the quoted error message gives the uploading of files as a possible reason but that's clearly not the case here.

Vekseid

There are a number of broken queries in SMF that are fixed in the next release (which I hope to move too soon). Ultimately though, we're hitting our dinky excuse for a RAID really, really hard at times : /

Oreo

Just as a note so Caeli doesn't feel alone. I just had one of those SMF errors too. I am also on Mozilla/Vista.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Dakota

I've installed the latest release on a few sites for people, its running smooth so far.

Edit: none of those sites are a large as E though.

Vekseid

The blogs, ons and offs, emulator, etc. all depend on code that changed slightly in RC2 so it will be a bit : )

Krysia

I got the error as well when trying to preview post I make. :/ I have to sometimes post them then check them, go back and modify them to correct things.

I'm also using the latest version of firefox. Thinking of switching to chrome though.

Nico

I came across this error message as well, just once, though, when I wanted to change my Avatar.

Vekseid

Despite the lower posting rate, people are spending more time reading. The load on the server has gone up by about 20% over the past month. : /

mannik

I've encountered this problem as well, though it is usually right after making a post. I click the post button, IE spends a considerable ammount of time loading, then 'Internal Server Error' pops up.

Luckily, the post is still made, but it isn't recognized that I made it. (Shows up as new in my bookmarks)