So... about those third-partiers.

Started by TheRaven, October 04, 2012, 08:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRaven

Exactly what it says on the tin. What are your thoughts on the third party candidates, their policies, and their odds of getting elected?

I myself am planning on voting for Jill Stein, knowing that she's probably going to fall short of even half of her 5% popular vote goal for a treasury grant for the Green Party in four years for their next campaign.

Still, I'd take her policies over those of the other candidates. In particular, her Green New Deal seems like a pretty good idea, considering it's borrowing from FDR's own New Deal policy, widely credited with bringing the States out of the Great Depression.
"Hey," said Shadow. "Huginn or Muninn, or whoever you are"
The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.
"Say 'Nevermore,'" said Shadow.
"Fuck you," said the raven.

OldSchoolGamer

I would say the chances are essentially zero.  The closest the Powers-That-Be here in America would let a third-party President get to the White House would be the bottom of a rock quarry in eastern Virginia.

Not that they'd even have to take it to that extent...they would just get the media (which they own) to invent some sort of a scandal that would drive the sheeple away.  With the Electoral College system, less than 35% or so of the popular vote essentially distills down into a single-digit total of Electoral College votes...probably beginning and ending with "0".  A footnote.

Ultimately, the battle against the system here will not be at the ballot-box, but in the streets.

Tamhansen

This reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Kang and Kodos run for president. One as republican the other as democrat. When found out, they reveal their plan to enslave the people.

When asked how to stop them Marge suggests voting for a third party candidate, but get's ridiculed.
Cartoon or not, sometimes I feel Hitler'd have a better chance of getting elected as dem or rep, than Roosevelt as a third party. Not that Roosevelt would stand a chance in today's elections anyway.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

tozhma

Ron Paul has a very creepy association with blatant racism and homophobia through his newsletters, and that hacking stuff anonymous did that found his strategists working closely with white supremacist websites etc. Also, he is curiously Stormfornt's candidate of choice across multiple polls.

Tamhansen

Bleugh, such a cool name such a stupid organization. Stormfront. Seriously, those people are living proof that us Arians are in no way more evolved. Anyway wasn't Ron Paul already kicked out of the race in the GOP primaries?

ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

tozhma

DOCTOR Ron Paul will keep campaigning so long as the Illuminati are in power good sir!

Oniya

Quote from: tozhma on October 09, 2012, 11:02:11 AM
DOCTOR Ron Paul will keep campaigning so long as the Illuminati are in power good sir!

And with that, I'm off to dig out my Robert Anton Wilson books.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Silverfyre