Walking

Started by Asgard, March 16, 2012, 01:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asgard

Going for a walk and my goal is to walk across the city and back before it gets too late.

Who an I ?- young make mid to late 20's

What am I doing? - looking for adventure, interactions new friends, new sights.

What an I carrying, wearing?
Money - $49 cash, ATM with access to $500 total but I need that for pending bills.
Clothing - Jeans with belt, tennis shoes, t shirt light jacket.
Other items - Backpack with - camera, binoculars, snacks, water, pocket knife.

Start time - 7:00 am.

City - San Francisco.

Asgard

I hit the street, the air seems fresher in the morning and there is a bit of quiet respect for the sleeping still in the air. Sunday mornings are like that here in the City by the Bay. Life is still unfolding for me and every so often I need to get out on walkabout as I call it. A person needs to decide what is important and balance their sorrows and good times with their hopes and dreams. Unless we step out from our routines we never get perspective. That's what this walk is about, perspective. Well if anyone asks thats what Ill say. First block in and I already feel a little self conscious. What am I doing? Is this risky maybe I should avoid Mission, hmmmm.

Asgard

I always take a different route and am hoping to get lost and find my way, it's hard to be lost for long in this place, it's just not that big and there are some nice big landmarks to navigate by. Still being lost physically and mentally now those are trips my hippie friends take all of the time. Yes even today there are hippies in San Fran hard to imagine I know.

My first turn lo and behold a sumptuous hill, let's go. I always notice the details in street work. You can date many of these sidewalks to the work programs from the great depression, often there will be a stamp and date in the concrete. I notice the oldest sections, the cracks, the repairs and I see the clues to the stories all around me. The history of a city always excites me. Once while walking in Paris I came across signs marking the deaths of resistance fighters and other people in these very streets. Come to think of it there is something like that near pier 39 a union worker was killed there. The message is clear make good choices take your steps wisely the city is you companion now.

Asgard

You always loose your breath at the start of the first hill but then about half way you tell yourself stop messing around breath, use your muscles pace yourself better. I pass a couple dog walkers before I reach the top. Left is a steep walk down the other side of the hill. Right continues up. Which would you take? I'm heading up.

I must look like a Euro tourist out for a little urban hike. The weather is nice while still misty from the morning fog I can feel that the burn off will be earlier than usual. This could have the makings for a very nice sunny day. Not necessarily an often occurrence here.

I'm feeling better as the walk takes shape in my mind. I'm going to head for the Bridge through the the park and then back along the wharves. At least thats the outline. Down the walk I notice a woman arguing with a man. The man looked like a punk gangster in shiny green sweats and a gold necklace. A walking movie cliche'. The girls was gorgeous, well actually she might have been a few years ago. What a sweet couple makes you want to jump right back into the sack with your ex. Like a hole in the head.

I manage to avoid a scene with the bikkertons and scoot on down taking the next possible turn.  I wonder why I look like to others and catch my refection in the next window. Do not do that, don't; its a horrible habit and if mirrors lie then store windows are bad liars. Ok breath and walk dammit. Alright thats ok its really ok, I just have this image of myself and I hate to have it challenged by reality.