News:

Main Menu

MyBB to SMF conversion

Started by Nadir, September 29, 2009, 02:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nadir

Some of you know, I help run a writing circle for aspiring/new authors, and lately we got ourselves a problem. Lots of drama from a co-admin. She was our techno wizz, and before the drama kicked off converted our SMF forum to a MyBB forum. Now, I want to convert it back but I can't trust her to help. I have no idea what I have to do, so if anyone thinks they can explain it simply, please do so.   

Vekseid

Essentially, I believe you install a clean copy of SMF on the same database (with a different prefix, of course) and run this script:
http://download.simplemachines.org/?converters;software=mybbx

Nadir

Okay, thanks for that Veks. I was attempting to do that when the forum and sister-site had a massive 'crash'.

Turns out, all the files were deleted.

Now, the situation gets messy. I'm in the UK, the ex-admin/suspected-hacker is Belgium and the server of my forum is in the US. Which country's laws apply, and how can I get proof it was her? Do I need proof before bringing it to some sort of justice system? 

Vekseid

You would need to contact your host and ask them for any evidence, and/or a backup.

I'm not a lawyer and certainly have little idea as to how to pursue such matters in Belgium. Typically I would contact the ISP, but really I just have insaneparanoid security here >_>

Nadir

I'll do that. The forum has already been recovered (lost a few days) but I didn't ask about looking for the culprit.

What a mess!