Fox News stirs up the anger of Canadians (Who knew we had that emotion?)

Started by Marlow, March 23, 2009, 04:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlow

So, I highly doubt any of the yanks have heard about this, but a certain fox news program named the "Red Eye" has caused quite the outrage across my country (Canada), especially in Southern Ontario.

The news program made such slanderous and insulting remarks in reference to Canada's wish to 'take a break' from Afghanistan and get out of their as soon as possible.

Some of the things said were, "I didn't even know they were in the war", "I thought that's where you go if you don't want to fight", and the host suggested Canada would use the time out to "do some yoga, paint some landscapes and run on the beach."

"Isn't this the perfect time to invade this ridiculous country," Gutfeld continued. "They have no army."

They also suggested that Canada was taking advantage of the power of the neighbor to the south, being, of course, the United States.

In addition they also made fun of the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police), making fun of their dress uniform and horses. 

Now I don't know about you. But I don't appreciate this at all. Make fun of our maple syrup, igloos, and crazy canucker accents all you want, but do not make light our sacrifices we made for your war on terror.

So... thoughts on the matter? Has anyone south of the Great White Expanse heard anything about this?
I DO NOT CARE ABOUT OOC GENDER!!! NONE OF MY IDEA THREADS ARE FIRST-COME FIRST-SERVE!!!

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Marlow

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 23, 2009, 04:50:45 PM
Its Fox Propaganda .. what else do you expect?
Oh I know, I know. Fox is a horrid network. My point stands Canada is right pissed off.
I DO NOT CARE ABOUT OOC GENDER!!! NONE OF MY IDEA THREADS ARE FIRST-COME FIRST-SERVE!!!

Avi

As you should be.  Suggesting that Canada deserves to be invaded just because they want out of a conflict that's killed tens of thousands of people is bone-headed, arrogant, and (sadly) quite typical of Fixed Noise Channel.

All too often, people these days forget that the Canadians fought, and fought BRAVELY, in World War II, and that they still have a respectable, if small, military.  You lot deserve a chance to take a break.  Fox News does not speak for all of us.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Marlow

Quote from: Avi on March 23, 2009, 05:16:56 PM
As you should be.  Suggesting that Canada deserves to be invaded just because they want out of a conflict that's killed tens of thousands of people is bone-headed, arrogant, and (sadly) quite typical of Fixed Noise Channel.

All too often, people these days forget that the Canadians fought, and fought BRAVELY, in World War II, and that they still have a respectable, if small, military.  You lot deserve a chance to take a break.  Fox News does not speak for all of us.
Canada has lost 107 (I believe) men and women, since we aren't there in a military combat facet.

And most definitely yes to your second point. When Canada fights we fight. I mean tooth and nail, until we physically can't. This is especially evident in WWI, Vimy Ridge coming to mind. Hell, the British and French tried to take the Ridge for a full month before the Canadians went it and captured it in the span of a weekend.

I don't know if this is a pro, but we were called Storm Troopers by the British, using us when everyone else failed. I wonder how accurate we were. :P

Yes, I like talking about anything pro-Canada. I'm quite proud of my country.

Oniya

If I remember right, it was Canadians who were trying to hold the line at Dunkirk - okay, so the Allies lost that one, but surviving it says quite a bit.

(I'm also oddly impressed that it took you all this long to get ticked off at Fox News.   ;D)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Marlow

Quote from: Oniya on March 23, 2009, 05:46:14 PM
If I remember right, it was Canadians who were trying to hold the line at Dunkirk - okay, so the Allies lost that one, but surviving it says quite a bit.
We were part of the Battle, under the command of the British, I believe.
(I'm also oddly impressed that it took you all this long to get ticked off at Fox News.   ;D)
Oh I had a strong distaste for Fox News ever since I was old enough to formulate a more than rudimentary opinion on the world, lol. I was raised in a very liberal household.

And for Canadians on whole, it takes a seriously low blow to anger us. :P

Marlow

Not being able to find the damn edit button, I have to double post. Here's the link to the segment: How to lose friends and alienate countries

Trieste

Oniya

Yeah, we should remind Gutfield that the Canadians are the reason that the White House is white.

It's from the paint they had to use to cover all the damage from when you all torched it!   ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Zeitgeist

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 23, 2009, 04:50:45 PM
Its Fox Propaganda .. what else do you expect?

Every media outlet is rife with propaganda. After the who, when and where, it's all open to conjecture.

I don't like to see Canada's contribution derided either, but lets keep in context that the Red Eye show is comedic commentary, not unlike the John Stewart show or others like it.

But really, be it Fox News or another channel, there isn't one out there that can claim a grain of rice worth of unbiased reporting. Not a one.

Avi

Quote from: Zamdrist on March 23, 2009, 08:20:58 PM
Every media outlet is rife with propaganda. After the who, when and where, it's all open to conjecture.

I don't like to see Canada's contribution derided either, but lets keep in context that the Red Eye show is comedic commentary, not unlike the John Stewart show or others like it.

But really, be it Fox News or another channel, there isn't one out there that can claim a grain of rice worth of unbiased reporting. Not a one.

This is true, but Fox News has the un-savory tendency of refusing to apologize when it gets things wrong.  I've never once heard of them issuing a retracton, while MSNBC, CNN, and the other networks will all do so. 

Yeah, frankly, holding the line at Dunkirk with the German war machine down on you... that took cajones the size of Texas to do that.  Kudoes to the Maple Leafs for helping to hold 'em off.  On another note, a Canadian detachment took one of the beaches on D-Day.  I can't remember which one it was... Juno, I think.  Anyway, I'll be the first to come to the defense of Canadians when people suggest that they can't fight like wolverines. O_O
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Marlow

Quote from: Avi on March 23, 2009, 08:29:18 PM
On another note, a Canadian detachment took one of the beaches on D-Day.  I can't remember which one it was... Juno, I think.
You would be correct, good sir. We actually gained the most ground during Operation Overlord.

Quote from: Avi on March 23, 2009, 08:29:18 PMAnyway, I'll be the first to come to the defense of Canadians when people suggest that they can't fight like wolverines. O_O

Destiny Ascension

*Sigh*

This..is why giving retarded shit-heads with zero intellect and fewer sets of balls a TV show will fail.

Anyone who is critical of a soldier or armed forces in combat should have what little of his fucking nuts exist CUT off, and I bet that moron hasn't ever even heard a gunshot let alone been in combat.

To clue supporters in, Canada has managed NOT to piss off the entire world like America has(Not to say I'm not proud, but I'm proud of most of our armed forces but our country is in a pissy state), thus we can conclude they do not need to funnel billions of dollars into Military spending because...well...who the fuck is going to attack Canada? Everyone likes Canada, and yet here is Canada, stepping up in Afghanistan where we, even IF we got another dozen countries to commit forces, won't be winning before a lot of people get killed. Sending troops to get killed, and after 7 years of almost NO results, I can fully understand why they need a break. Its not helped that American companies butt-fucked the world financian and economic state into the lowest its been sine the 1930's, and the fact we still can't figure out words will do shit against people who only like violence(Obviously, I'm speaking about Militants and terrorist organizations, I'm sure the average Afghani and Iraqi would be very pleased if a few words could get their lives back in order).

Dumbasses on Fox News....is anyone REALLY surprised?
"Build courage when courage seems to fail, gain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, create hope when hope becomes forlorn."
Andraste's flaming sword! I know where babies come from!

Zeitgeist

Lumping together the Red Eye program with Fox News, would be like lumping together Nancy Grace with Headline News. Worse yet, because the Red Eye program doesn't even bill itself as a news program, its 'entertainment'.

Again, ALL cable news programs are suspect for their bias and ideological leanings. The forum, 24 hour 'news', resembles nothing remotely related to journalism. Little today does.

Chris Brady

Well, apparently, andd I think is unofficial, but the reason there's no more military games up here with the U.S. is because us Canadians kept winning them.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

cattycutie

Quote from: Destiny Ascension on March 23, 2009, 11:38:37 PM
Anyone who is critical of a soldier or armed forces in combat should have what little of his fucking nuts exist CUT off

I sort of resent that. While I respect those that go and sacrifice themselves for what they believe in (because I just wouldn't be brave enough), I disgree with the concept of war, I really do. You shouldn't have to die or kill to fight your corner. Also, there's this thing: "That side is evil and this one is good." ACTUALLY, they're thinking the exact same thing. They are the same as you; fighting for their cause. Is it right to kill them for it? No.

Back to the ACTUAL thingymabob, it's a sly thing to make jokes about, but they were jokes. Yes, distasteful, but light-hearted nonetheless.
Beth's kinks

Hold me, I'm a fermata!

Destiny Ascension

Quote from: Chris Brady on March 24, 2009, 01:55:14 AM
Well, apparently, andd I think is unofficial, but the reason there's no more military games up here with the U.S. is because us Canadians kept winning them.

For the sake of correct facts, I'll explain.

Its true, in basic infantry warfare Canadian Forces usually beat US Army. Now, this is hardly true of the Marine Corps and certainly not of our elite Special Forces, namely the SEALs and Green Berets, as the 'Delta Force', if it exists, usually plays around with European boys.

Basically, Canadian Infantry receive MUCH more rigorous and tough training upon enlistment and in basic training. Their standards are insanely high, so much so that about 55% of the US Army enlisted, not including the Reserves OR the National Guard, would not pass basic training or qualification because of not being fit, low scores in testing or physical inability. Now, when it comes to groups like the Army's Rangers or the Marines, there is more competition but yes, Canadian Forces usually win war games. Not all of them, mind you, the Marines have won a few and the Rangers did win one a while back, before 9/11.

The fact of the matter is, they are better trained out of the gate and whent hey advance past basic to selection school for their desired job in the Army, again, training is much harder and more intense for them. Canada has accepted the fact they will have fewer resources at hand and train soldiers harder. This is not to say training is inadequat int he United States, far from it, but compared side to side, the standards are simply different. But Canadian soldiers since WWII have shown they have more than enough skill and determination to skillfully and truthfully accomplish their duties and objectives.

Maybe its genetics or just how they are raised, but yes, Canadians have won in the past during war games. Which is why it pisses me off when THIS shit happens. They have an amazing Armed Forces, its not their fault that sometimes they cannot keep troops in country for as long as we can. You have to remember the United States can easily deploy 500 Thousand combat troops in a week. Canada, as far as I know, doesn't even have a full strength of that much. So I mean, its a question of numbers. For them, 2000 soldiers is a lot and even worse, the way the economy is, they simply don't have the machine of war to keep troops in country for durations. But I do know from personal experience, they have an amazing command troop and even more amazing soldiers under them. They just don't have the ability to keep troops in. And Afghanistan, mainly the mission in progress, is definitely going to suffer if they do infact leave for a year.

Also, catty, I agree. War is shit, but those guys weren't critical of the war, they were critical of the SOLDIERS in war. I don't give a crap who supports the war, I think its horrible and I wish I'd never seen it, but I full heartedly support the troops. Canadian soldiers don't want to be in Afghanistan, but they know they have to be to have a hope in preventing men who use unrestricted violence(Not talking insurgents, this is ALL Taliban) to achieve goals without remorse or afterthought. But I completely agree, war is shit, but its humanity's finest creation and we can't kill it, no matter how much we want too.
"Build courage when courage seems to fail, gain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, create hope when hope becomes forlorn."

Nessy

Quote from: Destiny Ascension on March 24, 2009, 02:23:19 AM
Maybe its genetics or just how they are raised, but yes, Canadians have won in the past during war games.

Wait, you think that Canadians are significantly genetically different than American's and therefore they win war games?
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

Destiny Ascension

Quote from: Nessy on March 24, 2009, 02:30:40 AM
Wait, you think that Canadians are significantly genetically different than American's and therefore they win war games?

LMFAO, no, I didn't mean it like that.

I was exagerating, but what I meant was they just seem to have a lot of good soldiers. Not AT ALL, saying there is a difference, but Canadian troops simply receive much better training. Its slightly longer, and much more physically and mentally intense, but in now way am I going to compare troops directly, NOR am I going to say that Canadians have any kind of genetic superiority to Americans, I am not saying that at all. Nor am I saying Americans have any genetic superiority to Canadians, I'm just pointing out the obvious facts and I used that to prove a point.

To stay on topic here, I'm overall just saying when unfunny pricks like THAT guy and his retard friends in the video go from harmless(If REALLY unentertaining) jokes to actually insulting troops who have bled and died for us, then it goes beyond anger and more on to relation. I've been spit on and basically surrounded by protestors, but it all hurts just the same regardless if its done to ME or to someone else. They could make fun of British troops, and I'd still feel the sting. Personal thing only.

HairyHeretic

I don't think I'd agree with that. I think most media would have a lean towards left or right, but Fox don't even attempt to be neutral. They lean so far to the right that they're probably spinning in place at the moment.

I generally check the news.bbc.co.uk site as a first stop for news, as they generally try (from what I can tell) to present things in an unbiased manner.

I'm afraid I wouldn't dignify what Fox does as reporting.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Nessy

Well having 2 living retired vets in my family, and having lost 1 who was in the Korean War, and I belive 3 that were in WWII, and these are the ones I actually knew and had the opportunity to hear their war stories, I don't think any of them would appreciate silly comparison of allied troops. I can assure you that my great uncle would tell you it doesn't matter what flag is on your ship or how good your training is when you are bobbing up and down in the middle of the Pacific ocean amongst eager tiger sharks. And he assured me that those who survived were not the ones who were the strongest, or the fastest but the ones who were not wearing life jackets and therefore not bobbing like bait. He could never bring himself to wear a life jacket again, or buy anything that was made in Japan. War is not war games.

But to try and take the men and women in the armed forces from one country and then compare them to another and to what? pick a winner, based on training and war games... They're all winners my book and frankly, I don't care what country they come from.

Canada, Australia, Russsia, China... at various times, all these countries were important to war victories... doesn't matter what their training was or whether or not they can claim more victories in war games.

Fox news is disgusting for a lot of reasons and this story is no different.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

consortium11

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 24, 2009, 04:10:12 AM
I don't think I'd agree with that. I think most media would have a lean towards left or right, but Fox don't even attempt to be neutral. They lean so far to the right that they're probably spinning in place at the moment.

I generally check the news.bbc.co.uk site as a first stop for news, as they generally try (from what I can tell) to present things in an unbiased manner.

I'm afraid I wouldn't dignify what Fox does as reporting.

BBC, both their news and entertainment networks, are by their own account (as well as many ex-members) incredibly biased. It's just that it's not always biased one way or the other... one day they're very liberal, the next very middle class white-man conservative.

After all, the BBC is infamous for reversing "who charged who" in the miner's strike...

Oniya

Was that a UK miner's strike, though, Consortium?  Reading U.S. news stories through another country's news service gives you a completely different 'lens' to see them through.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: consortium11 on March 24, 2009, 11:16:24 AM
BBC, both their news and entertainment networks, are by their own account (as well as many ex-members) incredibly biased. It's just that it's not always biased one way or the other... one day they're very liberal, the next very middle class white-man conservative.

Well, I can only go on my own interpretation of how I read the stories they present on the website.

Quote from: consortium11 on March 24, 2009, 11:16:24 AM
After all, the BBC is infamous for reversing "who charged who" in the miner's strike...

We talking Thatcher era here? If so, your memory is a hell of a lot better than mine.

Cattle die, kinsmen die