My Blog - A Gay Marriage entry

Started by Older And Wiser, November 15, 2008, 02:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Older And Wiser

Tawni Black

It was a truly inspiring blog post. It took a stand point I had not yet considered (though I am also for Gay Marriage Rights). Thank you.

Maeven

Very nice post O&W (hope you don't mind me calling you that... It does sort of have a ring to it you know). Thanks for pointing me in the direction.  Letter from a Birmingham Jail was timeless when it was written and continues to speak to us all.

What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Pumpkin Seeds

Wouldn’t you view the analogy between the Civil Rights movement and the movement to legalize gay marriage a bit extreme?  Seems there were a lot of issues being fought for and over with the former, while the latter is over a singular item.

Older And Wiser

Quote from: Asku on November 18, 2008, 08:20:35 PM
Wouldn’t you view the analogy between the Civil Rights movement and the movement to legalize gay marriage a bit extreme?  Seems there were a lot of issues being fought for and over with the former, while the latter is over a singular item.
The concepts are the same, though I would never compare what happen to people of African desent with what happens to gay and lesbian folks.  While discrimination based on sexual preference is wrong, the historical wrongs of slavery, Jim Crow, segregation, lynchings, etc are far worse. 

So think of it, in terms of historical wrongs, as the difference between an assault and a murder.  The principals are the same, but the degree of wrong done to African Americans was far worse.