Game of Thrones: Ascension - Freeform, Sandbox GoT Group - Open to All

Started by GnothiSeauton, May 21, 2017, 12:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweets

Yeah it happened fairly recently. The links are a little off right now.

Here is the new character thread link for you.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=279378.0

Amelita

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Aiden

@Ontan- Your points all make sense to me, I also was very close to trying to bring back one of the "bad houses" to the light. In my case it was House Bolton

Lockepick

@Ontan: I think the background listed leaves enough up in the air that it fits within the plot (leading up to Season 6) -- I would probably ask you offer another potential rumor(s) on top of Stark assassin, to make it clear it's not a "coincidence" that the rumor happens to follow Season 7. We have some other Houses that have deviated from the 'main line' that was present in the show -- your explanation for deviating from the Frey main line works for me -- assuming it's not contrary to anybody else's characters. (I'll have to do a quick search.)

I think it might be interesting to explain how the surviving Frey's became rich suddenly, or maybe I'm reading into the comments on 'coffers full'. My misread there!
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

sweets

Per established cannon in the books at least

"Since then, the Freys have grown wealthy by charging a heavy toll on all those who need to cross."

The Freys don't have wealth like the Lannisters but still were wealthy.

I mean Walder paid Fat Walda's weight in silver to Bolton for marrying her.

Lockepick

Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Ontan on December 11, 2017, 10:08:51 PM
By the looks of things, it appears that House Frey hasn’t be claimed yet! If they’re still available, I’d love to play them as a recovering (and characteristically sour-tempered) power in the Riverlands:

House Frey was brought to the brink of extinction when, in a single terrible stroke, the adult men of their bloodline were killed to the last – allegedly at the hands of a Stark assassin. Leaderless and shambolic, their military forces went from smirking conquerors to whipped dogs virtually overnight: they abandoned the Lannister-backed attempt to annex the Riverlands, and without so much as a single additional battle, they meekly forfeited all territorial gains and slinked back to their ancestral lands, effectively ending their role in the conflict.

With the malefactors slain, the infamous Red Wedding had at last been avenged, and under the enforced peace of Queen Daenerys’s reign, House Frey was mercifully spared from any further acts of retribution. Notwithstanding a shaky period of regency, the crown’s legal reforms eventually enabled Walder Frey’s young wife to assume leadership, and she proved to be a timid but intelligent administrator. She acknowledged the legitimacy of House Tully, and by way of reparation signed a treaty whereby House Frey would gift a share of all its  lucrative tolls for the next 50 years.

A new generation of Freys have now emerged, but they inherited many familiar traits: sullied honour, a perceived lack of validation from the ‘old’ Houses, and a simmering resentment over historical events. Though its bloodline was almost annihilated, it’s an understated fact that House Frey’s economic base was virtually untouched by the turmoil marring the new century, and plumped up with coin, its recovery has been surprisingly swift over the last few decades. With its coffers full and the rest of the Riverlands in upheaval, House Frey now seeks to exert its burgeoning clout once again, and to affirm its place in regional power-broking.

I’ve tried to keep it all in keeping with the game info, but if I've missed anything let me know. Thoughts?

Quote from: Ontan on December 12, 2017, 03:48:46 AM
Season 6 plot developments

While I saw that the canon only extends so far as season 6, I figured there were a few good reasons to include the mass-assassination of House Frey's male heirs:
  • Given that some sort of reckoning for the Red Wedding was virtually a foregone conclusion, it seemed fitting enough to include it (and a fruitless complication not to);
  • As an OOC convenience, it avoids the hassle of generating several dozen Frey NPCs who, lore-wise, would’ve otherwise convoluted the family tree; and
  • It provides fertile grounds for lingering hatred and entrenched rivalries, because it wouldn’t be GoT if everyone got along.
Lastly, I tried to make the event somewhat non-specific: there’s no guarantee that it even was a Stark assassin, let alone Arya. In this setting, I thought that maybe it could be an unproven assumption, based purely on the Stark's obvious motive.

Quote from: Lockepick on December 12, 2017, 10:43:17 AM
@Ontan: I think the background listed leaves enough up in the air that it fits within the plot (leading up to Season 6) -- I would probably ask you offer another potential rumor(s) on top of Stark assassin, to make it clear it's not a "coincidence" that the rumor happens to follow Season 7. We have some other Houses that have deviated from the 'main line' that was present in the show -- your explanation for deviating from the Frey main line works for me -- assuming it's not contrary to anybody else's characters. (I'll have to do a quick search.)

I think it might be interesting to explain how the surviving Frey's became rich suddenly, or maybe I'm reading into the comments on 'coffers full'. My misread there!

Everything works for me in my eyes as I read over what you had in mind.  I think an addition of a Frey line would be pretty interesting.

And I agree with Lockepick, with offering up potential rumors.  I like the potential for drama and intrigue it has so far, and am excited to see what else you might have in mind with your potential character.
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

Ontan

Thanks for the welcomes and feedback!

I’ve made a slight alteration to the House Frey blurb, which hopefully reinforces the fact that it’s all taking place in a unique timeline (i.e. distinct from the ‘official’ events of season 7). I’ll also include a rumour in the character sheet which hints something to that effect.

House Frey blurb
In the year 305 AL, House Frey was brought to the brink of extinction when all the adult men of their bloodline were mysteriously summoned to a war council, only to perish in a freak fire – allegedly at the hands of a Stark assassin, if rumour is to be believed. Leaderless and shambolic, their military forces went from smirking conquerors to whipped dogs virtually overnight: they abandoned the Lannister-backed attempt to annex the Riverlands, and without so much as a single additional battle, they meekly forfeited all territorial gains and slinked back to their ancestral lands, effectively ending their role in the conflict.

With the malefactors slain, the infamous Red Wedding had at last been avenged, and under the enforced peace of Queen Daenerys’s reign, House Frey was mercifully spared from any further acts of retribution. Notwithstanding a shaky period of regency, the crown’s legal reforms eventually enabled Walder Frey’s eldest daughter to assume leadership, and she proved to be a timid but intelligent administrator. She acknowledged the legitimacy of House Tully, and by way of reparation signed a treaty whereby House Frey would gift a share of all its  lucrative tolls for the next 50 years.

A new generation of Freys have now emerged, but they inherited many familiar traits: sullied honour, a perceived lack of validation from the ‘old’ Houses, and a simmering resentment over historical events. Though its bloodline was almost annihilated, it’s an understated fact that House Frey’s economic base was virtually untouched by the turmoil marring the new century, and plumped up with coin, its recovery has been surprisingly swift over the last few decades. With its coffers full and the rest of the Riverlands in upheaval, House Frey now seeks to exert its burgeoning clout once again, and to affirm its place in regional power-broking.

Quote from: sweets on December 12, 2017, 11:09:51 AM
The Freys don't have wealth like the Lannisters but still were wealthy.

I mean Walder paid Fat Walda's weight in silver to Bolton for marrying her.

That’s mostly what I had in mind: House Frey are wealthy (for the Riverlands), but it’s still a magnitude of order less than the vast, empire-shaking fortunes that the Lannisters commanded.

If the blurb needs any further alteration, just let me know, otherwise I’ll get to work on my character sheet. I’ll also have a look at the Notebook requests for character connections, but if there’s anything that people are particularly craving, don't be shy about taking the initiative and letting me know.

sweets

My only question/comment/concern is would a widow inherit over an older daughter? Stepmom inheriting over a proper heir is the only thing I can think of, nothing huge or crazy I mean.

sweets

Also I have already established that my Manderly doesn't care for the Freys. So we could have some conflict there

Flower

GnothiSeauton

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

sweets

Also due to looking at it on my phone and not having my glasses on at first I thought Hyacinth had said 'humping' not bumping and had to reread it

sweets

Quote from: Hyacinth on December 27, 2017, 05:27:11 PM
>:) >:) >:)

I was like 'Well that is one way to get some interest'

Seriously though peeps it is not too late to jump in

Handy Dandy Summary

Ontan

Still interested! It shouldn't be too much longer until the Frey is ready to roll.

Flower

More people would be super welcomed! I think we have a good group and interesting characters. The game is still in the beginning stages so I don't think it's too hard to jump into the action.

GnothiSeauton

Agreed!

The more, the merrier!

Everyone is super friendly, willing and able to help out and get anyone involved in the story, and we haven't even really gotten into the juicy plot points of the group story yet!

Seeking New Stories

sweets

Thirded.

GMs are great and everyone had been a joy to write with.

Heartsink

*Creeps in*

Good day, looking over the game, thinking of a character to make

sweets

Quote from: Heartsink on January 17, 2018, 03:36:30 AM
*Creeps in*

Good day, looking over the game, thinking of a character to make

Hello.

We have a big games board now check us out.  ;D