News:

Main Menu

The Newsroom

Started by Callie Del Noire, May 16, 2013, 02:02:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

I just saw a few eps of the first season. It was mindblowing in outlook.

The Newsroom - Opening Scene (Wow!)

I don't agree with everything but I love the characters.

Shjade

It's a pretty great show. Unless you're a member of the Tea Party, in which case you might feel it's a pretty hostile show. >.>

Tea Party Explained

Eagerly awaiting the second season.

Edit: added link to explain the Tea Party comment.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Callie Del Noire

Well the thing is.. the Tea Party DID get hijacked. I knew a lot of early TP-ers who started wondering 'WTF' about the time their protests started going all nuts (their words)

I like the way the characters act. Will and Sloane are two of my favorites. They both do a lot of 'oh I F-ed up' moments.

Pumpkin Seeds

I like the bodyguard.  He's hysterical to me. 

The show is great though with some smart, witty comments.  Sometimes I do feel they are a bit unfair in their antagonism of certain parties since they are basically using hindsight to critique news stories and political reactions, but in general I agree with their assessments.

Callie Del Noire

The bodyguard is a blast.

despickable

This show blew me away from the opening I watched the whole thing right through I dont normally get hooked to many tv series but this jump on me and pounded me. It is so well written and yes it has hindsight  to events but I still thought the facts it gave out were eye opening.
I too hope a second series comes soon.
My favorite episode is the one with the mole  reporting on the war  event and the one where they are stuck on an plane when the Osama story broke

It is rare that I find an American show that tells it like it is that sometimes the country isn't the greatest mistakes are made and pointing them out makes great drama

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=133839.0]
[/url][/url]Despickable's Ons and Offs

Shjade

I will say the show has one aspect that I really wish they'd done without: the whole romance subplot thing between Maggie, Jim and Don. Just...bluh. I don't even care who she chooses, just choose one so we can move on and stop getting distracted by the relationship melodrama. ~.~
◕/◕'s

Pumpkin Seeds

Yeah the romance angle seems extremely forced and then throwing Sloane into the mix felt odd.

Shjade

Yeah, I kinda wonder where that came from when it popped up at the end like that, as if they'd meant to write material for it in earlier episodes and it never actually got to air or something and then they just went "sure put it in anyway."
◕/◕'s

Bloodied Porcelain

This is by far one of my favorite shows in a long, long time. So nice to see it getting some recognition... I've gotten a lot of E friends here hooked on it. Usually all it takes it the opening speech. :)

That being said... Sloan is one of my favorite characters on the show. She cracks me up.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Remiel

Yeah, who knew Olivia Munn could act?

It's certainly an interesting show.  You definitely won't like it if you're a Tea Partier; despite the main character self-identifying as a Republican, he's certainly no neoconservative.    Personally,  I think it's pretty much an hour long op-ed piece turned into a melodrama.

Still, it's a bold, ballsy perspective on the current state of American media, and on that basis alone I think it's worth watching.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Remiel on May 16, 2013, 06:36:37 PM
Yeah, who knew Olivia Munn could act?

It's certainly an interesting show.  You definitely won't like it if you're a Tea Partier; despite the main character self-identifying as a Republican, he's certainly no neoconservative.    Personally,  I think it's pretty much an hour long op-ed piece turned into a melodrama.

Still, it's a bold, ballsy perspective on the current state of American media, and on that basis alone I think it's worth watching.

Nope.. Will is more of a Goldwater conservative, fiscally conservative but recognizing some social programs have merit, big government isn't all bad and well.. self-regulation isn't always a good thing.

And no offense.. anyone that wants to roll back government entirely before 1900.. like the tea party, needs a good verbal kicking. They are all about criticizing others.. but notice the very methods they used to get into power are now the things they regulate against. A LOT of the foolishness in Wisconsin for example in the last year was the Tea Party shutting down the methods they used before taking control

BACK to the show.. yeah.. I love ALL the characters. Particularly Sloane and Will. Sloane is smart, sharp and a total train wreck socially. It's HILARIOUS to watch her engage in a verbal pile up. I'm waiting for her to really EXPLODE on the default though.

Shjade

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 20, 2013, 01:12:00 PM
BACK to the show.. yeah.. I love ALL the characters. Particularly Sloane and Will. Sloane is smart, sharp and a total train wreck socially. It's HILARIOUS to watch her engage in a verbal pile up. I'm waiting for her to really EXPLODE on the default though.

I'm glad to see you say that. I watched someone make the argument that the Newsroom is tremendously sexist in its representation of women because of how ditzy and airheaded they make all the main female characters a few weeks ago and it was frustrating trying to address their position when they'd only focus on all the social duncecap moments and ignore all the technical/executive skill they demonstrate in their work.

...except maybe Maggie.
◕/◕'s

Neysha

The tone of those clips and others I've seen reminds me of The West Wing. Thus it's like a less subtle form of Democrat fanfiction.  :P

Though as a mild admirer of the West Wing, I guess I'd kind of insulting myself.
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Neysha on May 22, 2013, 02:04:53 PM
The tone of those clips and others I've seen reminds me of The West Wing. Thus it's like a less subtle form of Democrat fanfiction.  :P

Though as a mild admirer of the West Wing, I guess I'd kind of insulting myself.

As much as I'd like to disagree.. they don't slam the democrats that much.. but then one of the focuses of the show is Will fighting to shake some sense into his own party.

Shjade

Quote from: Neysha on May 22, 2013, 02:04:53 PM
The tone of those clips and others I've seen reminds me of The West Wing.

That's not surprising since the same guy is behind both shows.
◕/◕'s

Callie Del Noire

I LOVE the way the season ended... very circular in all.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

The girl that Will blows up at the beginning is there to be an intern.

Darius

I love the show and have watched the first season through several times.

However, my wife hates it. She feels that Sorkin writes weak women who cry too easily on the show.

Luckily, I control the remote.
When the avalanche has started, the pebbles no longer get to vote.
Ons and Offs
absence to make hearts grow fonder
Story ideas
Darius & His Ramblings
No one is an unjust villain in their own mind… we are all the hero of our own story.” A Lucio

Shjade

Hm. I'll agree the female characters (the major ones, at least) do seem to get rather emotional compared to their male counterparts. It didn't bother me, but I could see how it might someone else.
◕/◕'s

EpicJay

Love this show, can be a little harder to follow at times not being from the US but still brilliant love the part where Mackenzie yells "he struggles with things" only to have Will come hoping out trying to get his pants on.

Callie Del Noire

Well my local cable company (dicks though they are) has left HBO on demand free this week so I am watching a LOT of Season 2 of the newsroom while I can.

I have to admit that I'm liking it. it's fairly solid this season. You see mistakes being made. You see how public scrutiny is so hard to aovid these days. You see each character change under the pressure of the season.

mia h

Well a long as they don't cancel it before Sunday you should get to see all 9 episodes of season 2  :D

The show is still a little bit of a mixed bag, the OWS story was a bit weak; the only reason it seemed to be there was to say "Don't demonstrate like this" and then be a bad plot device for the Genoa story.

And then there is Genoa, interesting story or Sorkin being lazy and just doing Operation Tailwind in a modern setting?

But Olivia Munn, well I could watch a whole hour of the Sloan Sabbith show
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Shjade

Sloan's a little hit or miss for me. Sometimes she just seems a little TOO crazy, y'know?
◕/◕'s

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Shjade on September 12, 2013, 11:08:26 AM
Sloan's a little hit or miss for me. Sometimes she just seems a little TOO crazy, y'know?

Yeah..

I think it (the Genoa) story was to show that an organization can do all the RIGHT things..and one single mistake can destroy an organization's standing. There were a LOT of points where that single point of that one person who has the choice between right and wrong. Genoa shows how that can totally destroy a news division and a LOT of people.

Ironically I normally despise Jane Fonda but I liked her character's statement. It shows spine in company leaders.

"GET IT BACK!"

We need to rebuild trust and that is ALWAYS the hard. Too often things like this destroy careers. Dan Rather and the Killian controversy would have been as good a point as the Operation Tailwind event but I think they went with Tailwind because it was further back in the past.

As for Sloan.. I love her.