What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Please tell me you have GTA4 or Gay Tony? :( Or Conviction.

Wolfy

Well, I have GTAIV..but not the episode packs. :/

Hemingway

Sabby

Yeah, but it looks like the core game is the only one with Mafiya Work, which is the only mode I like... love actually. Been waiting in a lobby half an hour. Damn you Reach and Black Ops! We need players to!

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on February 17, 2011, 08:14:29 PM
I'm happy about it. I also suspect you're exaggerating. Usually, not being required to kill anyone means you can use nonlethal methods, sneak around people, and talk to people that matter. Not walk around unopposed, like you own the place.

Also, Sup Com 2 is ... oh, man. You know what's great? Building huge artillery cannons, in your own base, then zooming out to get a strategic view of the battle ... and just watch the shells fly.
No, I'm not apparently it is the "Talk" path. There's only a couple of ways to do it, but yes this is rumor. Still four months... that's a lot. I can just see it going all Alpha Protocol.

Remember Alpha Protocol got pushed back about four months for technical issues (It didn't help that Obsidian forgot to announce this) then it releases months latter and reviews so poorly that there is no planned sequel. My argument wait does not always equal better. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Brandon

Been doing the dawn of war retribution 2 beta for a little while and so far Im liking it. Seems like the orks are a little worse off but its still managable for an experienced ork player. Although they should stop calling them Beta's if everyone who pre-orders the game is just going to get in and be able to play it while being unable to actually influence the balance of it. I mean I dont mind paying full price on a pre-order if the game looks awesome and I get to play it before the actual release date.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Sabby

Just started some Battlefield Bad Company 2 multiplayer... liking it way more then Call of Duty. Is the Vietnam Pack supposed to be free? o.O Because it let me start downloading at no charge...

Inkidu

I'm debating picking up Alpha Protocol. I know I said I would never play it, but despite what some people say a game does get better as its price drops. Sure it might never be worth a full sixty bucks, but it might be worth half that. A lot of the magazine rate it average to poor, but a lot of the peer reviews rate it as average to okay.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Sabby on February 20, 2011, 12:37:12 AM
Just started some Battlefield Bad Company 2 multiplayer... liking it way more then Call of Duty. Is the Vietnam Pack supposed to be free? o.O Because it let me start downloading at no charge...

It's not supposed to be free as far as I know, but it's definitely worth it!

QuoteI'm debating picking up Alpha Protocol. I know I said I would never play it, but despite what some people say a game does get better as its price drops. Sure it might never be worth a full sixty bucks, but it might be worth half that. A lot of the magazine rate it average to poor, but a lot of the peer reviews rate it as average to okay.

Reviewers are full of shit. Yes, the game has its flaws, but I think part of what people fail to realize is that it is at its heart an RPG, and it plays as such. Mass Effect bridges that gap much better, but that doesn't mean AP is a bad game.

Geeklet

I played AP, realizing that it was an RPG at heart, and still friggin hated it so much I will never play it again.

Hemingway

What made it that bad in your eyes?

I mean, I dislike or even hate a lot of games that are incredibly popular and highly rated, so I'm not saying you're wrong ... I'm just curious to know.

Geeklet

Well, the story and such was fine, it was all mechanics for me. A lot of this I posted back in the  "What will you never play again" thread like 6 months ago, but I'll sum up some of it here.

The minigames for bypassing, lockpicking, and hacking? Well, lets just say one made me pull my hair out in frustration.

The skills available to customize what your character is good at? Anything not a gun related skill is essentially useless. Stealth is iffy until its highly invested in, because cover does jack squat (you'll find this out in a firefight too), and even then is only good up until you get to a boss fight. Melee is only useful against single, isolated enemies.

As you progress through the game, the load times get absolutely horrendous. And I'm not just talking about during levels, I'm talking about loading up the shop, which is just text and some graphics. And that is even after I tweaked the config file to improve things.

Most of the time I can sit through flaws and bugs in a game's engine if I am interested in how the story turned out. I think this was the first time I went "Screw it, I don't care how it ends, this is just too much."

Brandon

I would dispute all of that, but I dont think it matters. To me AP was a good game, there are some bugs but I remember many reviewers talking about how your reticle would be right over a guys head and the fire button would make you miss, well in every review I saw they werent in range of their target with the pistol so they were taking a major accuracy hit. They were just doing it wrong

You'll see graphics bugs for sure (still havnt played a game where I didnt notice them but thats not a deal breaker to me), if you try to shoot someone and miss you probably need to get closer or wait for your reticle to become smaller (meaning itll be a more powerful and more accurate shot), and finally stealth without power use takes some getting used to but it is awesome sneaking up behind the guy and knocking them out or alternatively killing them with a knife
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Hemingway

The hacking minigames were tricky, but not that frustrating to me. I guess I can understand that one.

The rest, I can't really say I had any trouble with. I always sneak around in the game, and actually very rarely invest in gun-related skills, except to get the chain shot thing from pistols.

Now, something unrelated. I just finished Singularity. It was ... better than I originally thought, and I was pleasantly surprised by the ending. Or, well ...
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
It seems obvious to me that if you go back in time and kill yourself in order to prevent yourself from ever going back in time, you won't end up dead. However, that would also negate ever going back in time to kill yourself, thus doing ... nothing. WHAT. I can't wrap my brain around this.

The only trouble with the game, really, is ... there's so much untapped potential!

Frost

At the moment i am playing ....

Dragon Age Origins- I'm not used to play games like this on the Xbox 360 but after i had got used to the controls i am very much enjoying it, i think the Disc is magical, i put it into the Xbox 360 and then like 4-5 hours shoot by, wish i could harness this magical power and apply it to when i am at work.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood- Loved the first 2 , i even got 1000 gamer points on the 2nd game, i am halfway through at the moment.

Battlefield BC 2- Great game indeed

Frost

Quote from: Sabby on February 20, 2011, 12:37:12 AM

It is for the updated Maps, i had to do it also the download, when you pay for it , it will unlock, sorry to give you bad news  :D

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on February 20, 2011, 06:04:39 PM
The hacking minigames were tricky, but not that frustrating to me. I guess I can understand that one.

The rest, I can't really say I had any trouble with. I always sneak around in the game, and actually very rarely invest in gun-related skills, except to get the chain shot thing from pistols.

Now, something unrelated. I just finished Singularity. It was ... better than I originally thought, and I was pleasantly surprised by the ending. Or, well ...
It seems obvious to me that if you go back in time and kill yourself in order to prevent yourself from ever going back in time, you won't end up dead. However, that would also negate ever going back in time to kill yourself, thus doing ... nothing. WHAT. I can't wrap my brain around this.

The only trouble with the game, really, is ... there's so much untapped potential!

Singularity 2? :D

Hemingway

Quote from: Wolfy on February 20, 2011, 07:57:26 PM
Singularity 2? :D

Well, I mean, there's so much potential for depth of story, and for neat things they could do. I'd love to see a sequel, though.

Edit: As it turns out, I missed KEY PARTS of the ending due to the lack of subtitles in the game.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on February 20, 2011, 06:04:39 PM

Isn't that seeker rifle just bitching? Mix that with the wonderful damage points of your enemies and blowing the kneecaps off of people has never been so much fun.

My only gripe with the game is that part in the sewer with all those fucking exploding ticks. :|

EDIT: Also I picked up Alpha Protocol. We'll see, but you know. I know when a review is good and when it's bad. It's called research. I just haven't got the money to blow away on every game I want to try. Even my subscriptions to Game Informer have saved me some bucks in warning about lackluster games. Sometimes I think they're wrong. Should Dante's Inferno have a seven for ripping God of War and Darksiders get an eight and a half for ripping off Zelda and God of War? Gamers are weird by nature. We gripe about every little thing. Should Final Fantasy XIII have a nine point something? No.

Now when I'm on a site like gamefaqs I usually only read star reviews one that people have voted on and thought were good. It rounds it off into a nice little pool of good and bad and helps me make an informed choice.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on February 20, 2011, 09:33:42 PM
Isn't that seeker rifle just bitching? Mix that with the wonderful damage points of your enemies and blowing the kneecaps off of people has never been so much fun.

My only gripe with the game is that part in the sewer with all those fucking exploding ticks. :|

The Seeker needed to be a standard weapon. I frsfkjl love that gun.

And, yeah, the ticks were INCREDIBLY annoying. The game kept giving me helpful advice, but none of it worked.

Wolfy

YOU think they were annoying?

Try being only one ****ing smack away from being dead, with no health kits or Ammo in sight, with only 2 rounds in your current weapon, and trying to sneak past those damn things.

....I died.

Then..oh what, I'm back at the beginning? Oh yay, I have full health..but still nothing to defend myself with. OH JOY.

It took me over 2 hours to get past that part. One of the reasons why was because the damn tree limb didn't exactly catch the eye, so I was stuck actually looking for the damn exit, even though I crawled past it at least twice in one run. >_<

Hemingway

... You know you can use the TMD to make them ... grow and fight each other, right? I mean, it was ineffective and seemed not to work all the time, but it was still far more effective than any gun I tried.

Wolfy

Had no idea...but it doesn't help me now. xD

Hemingway

Inkidu

Been playing Alpha Protocol, and honestly despite the really weird voice of the protagonist and the hacking minigame I think it kind of just got crucified. I guess Obsidian just loses points for being Obsidian, and with good reason mind you. They're not known for their polish which is something important in gaming.

Of course, this spurs that paradoxical argument that: "Well we older gamers are used to a lack of polish and its no big deal," well yeah, it is we shouldn't be letting professional game developers get away with unprofessional behavior. The other part that makes it a paradox is that the same gamer is willing to wait months with the excuse, "I'd rather wait and it be better."

Gosh, gamers are the weirdest group of people (myself included) this side of baby-eating cults.