News:

Main Menu

Web Browser

Started by HockeyGod, May 27, 2010, 09:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HockeyGod

So, I was just wondering what browsers people use...but mostly...WHY?

I used to use Internet Explorer, but I was so frustrated with all the times it froze I switched to Firefox.

But, is Firefox the best one?

Barnbean

I used Internet Explorer before I realized other programs existed. Since then I have used Firefox nonstop and enjoy it. Not sure it is the BEST out there, but it's good.

Pixilicious

I use Mozilla, Lexi-doll!  The most current version.  It works well, and I love the features.  I've never had a problem with it, and it's pretty quick.  Second choice is Safari, which I have on my 7.  I've given up on Internet Explorer.  I've tried Chrome as well, and found that the pages died way to frequently for my honest likings...:)
Be a girl with a mind.  A woman with attitude. A lady with class

TheGlyphstone

I've been using IE for years, and it's never been a problem for me, so the rush to other browsers has occasionally baffled me. I understand Firefox supports plug-in modules, which is apparently, nice, but I've never really felt inclined to switch browsers for any reason.

WyldRanger

I'm using IE on my netbook, since I'm too lazy to change it. But I liked using Firefox until it got clogged up with a virus and now I'm using Chrome. Seems to work fine for everything I need it to do.

Brandon

I used to use Internet explorer for a long time but a few years ago I got a major virus that would automaticaly open windows to all sorts of sites (all of them advertisments). After trying to get rid of it for a year (maybe more) I decided to try firefox and found that the virus doesnt affect it. I still havnt managed to figure out a way to premanently get rid of that Malware but it really isnt a problem for me anymore either
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Callie Del Noire

I used IE for a long time till about generations back when it would inexplicably hang and crash. A friend introduced me to Firefox which I use a lot. I used safari on my iPad/iPhone. It's my 2nd favorite. I tried a early beta of chrome but not a recent one.

Vekseid

All of the above, to separate my identities, for the most part.

Trouble

It really depends on what you use the internet for.

If you like lots of customization, go for Chrome.

I use Firefox, mostly, because I don't have the patience for Chrome. I despise Internet Explorer. Every time I load a page, a little message pops up. Sometimes more than once per load. It doesn't matter what option I pick because it'll come back anyway. Also, the random crashes.
Trouble's switches: On/Off
RP Request (MxM) (Current craving for Doctor Who/Torchwood)
Tracking Trouble (A/A's)
I don't always write sex scenes. But when I do, I include bad puns, memes, and quantum physics jokes.

Oniya

I use I.E. for work, because my work's timesheet program won't work on anything but I.E.  (Yes, I've griped to the IT people.)

For everything else, I use Firefox.  I started using it when I joined up at a site that borked up with I.E., and I really don't like changing software unless it's giving me more problems than it's worth.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

DarklingAlice

I use Chrome for everything it can do, and Firefox for everything else. I really like Chrome but, at least on Linux distros, it still has allot of kinks to work out.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

hgb

On my desktop I use firefox. I have way too many plugins, extensions, etc. That I have become accustomed to. On my old crappy laptop, I find that Chrome runs a lot more smoothly (and faster), and has less issues than firefox.

Wolfy

FireFox + NoScript + Adblock Plus = Best Security you can get. o3o

Lilias

I've used Firefox at least for five years. It's just the handiest, with all the integrated addons and semi-automatic updates. (Who created functional tabbed browsing, again?) I like Chrome, and use it as backup, so that I don't have too many tabs open at the same time, but it still needs some work to match Firefox for ease.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Nyarly

I use Opera. I use Firefox for other things, although at the moment these consist only of a browser game.

Samael

Quote from: Wolfy on May 28, 2010, 03:52:51 AM
FireFox + NoScript + Adblock Plus = Best Security you can get. o3o

Bang!
This!

Since I'm running Firefox that way, I've never had less of an hassle with websites, although I hear a lot of good about Chrome.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Chevalier des Poissons

Chrome for flash games + Quake Live + Youtube and Firefox = Win.
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A

HockeyGod

Quote from: Vekseid on May 27, 2010, 10:33:24 PM
All of the above, to separate my identities, for the most part.

<hijack my own thread> There's good medication that might help for that too! </hijack>

Ket

Firefox is my browser of choice. I have chrome, but I've never used it, it's just there for back up in case something happens to FF and I need to re-download it. I wish I could totally erase IE off both my laptops, but sadly some government pages only work in IE, forcing me to keep the stupid program.

I can run IE. I can access web pages from it. The minute I try to close the window and get the hell away from it, it freezes, crashes, does the stupid little 'windows is trying to locate the problem' bit, then restarts again!  It's a vicious catch-22 cycle, forcing me to CTL ALT DEL the damn thing into oblivion.

Sorry about the mini-rant...IE and I haven't played well together for years and years.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Serephino

I use firefox because my computer geek boyfriend told me to.  He says it's more stable, and the no script add on is helpful.  I like the tabs too.  I don't have to open another window for stuff. 

Stattick

After getting hit with one too many nasty bits of malware, I made the switch to Firefox+NoScript+Adblock Plus. I haven't been infected since.

I thought about Chrome... but it doesn't stop animated GIFs. Even IE stops animated GIFs, and so does Firefox. Having a bit of ADD, sometimes I can't concentrate when writing when there are things moving around on the screen, so I NEED the ability to kill those animations by hitting ESC.

IE still works on my system. I'll use it on the rare occasion that I need a site that Firefox can't read, but that's exceptionally rare. I also have an ancient copy of Netscape that I've used on occasion. Uh... let's just say that there has been a few occasions when I needed to download something, but the page was written in such a way as to prevent it, and had disabled right clicks... Those commands often don't work in really old browsers. *chuckles*
O/O   A/A

HockeyGod

Quote from: Stattick on May 30, 2010, 12:01:53 PM
I thought about Chrome... but it doesn't stop animated GIFs. Even IE stops animated GIFs, and so does Firefox. Having a bit of ADD, sometimes I can't concentrate when writing when there are things moving around on the screen, so I NEED the ability to kill those animations by hitting ESC.

I love quick buttons and such - I didn't know about Esc...thanks for the tip!!

TheGlyphstone

I'm still the only person who chose IE for their poll option, I feel so alone. ;D

HockeyGod

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 30, 2010, 05:06:36 PM
I'm still the only person who chose IE for their poll option, I feel so alone. ;D

You can join the Opera user  ::)

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: alxnjsh on May 30, 2010, 05:10:47 PM
You can join the Opera user  ::)

Or both of us can pity Safari together? ;D