News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

With the Stroke of a Pen...

Started by CassandraNova, January 24, 2009, 06:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The American Patriot

Actually, the Geneva Convention tells us what to do to unlawful combatants... even partisans. Non-uniformed fighters are seen as unlawful combatants, and when i was in the service... we where told to kil them. not capture them. because they are not protected by the rules of warfare. technically, our guys where suppose to take them out back and put a bullet in the backs of their heads when we catch them.

thus the reason why 'Volkstrum' units during the end of the second world war would wear uniforms that had been outlawed by the Nazi party (and it became a death sentice to wear them), so they wouldn't be seen as unlawful non-uniformed combatants by the allied forces. And it's also the reason so many of the Volkstrum battalions surrendered enmass when encountered.
"Do you have any idea how we are talking about here? We are talking about the 'Butcher of Keiv'... The 'Cakemaker of Keiv' could kick all of our asses, and we are talking about the 'BUTCHER of Kevi'... Does that tell you anything?"

Story of the Accident... https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=29000.0

RubySlippers

But I for one think we can take the high ground granting any partisans properly documented in the field as being acting for a government that is recognized as being so protected. Such as written documents or dog tags with recognizable meaning. That would still allow us to deal with terrorists and insurgents as not said protected and give the benefit of the status to suitable parties. Just amend the signature on the treaties to make this correction by Act of Congress.

overfiend87

I guess I'm rarther immature with my belief, but I'd perfer there to be torture on those who commit crimes. For one thing if it's broadcasted, more people will not break the law, especially if they know the type of punishment they would be delt with, but that's my belief. A pacifist way of just locking someone up and away won't work in my opinion. Rehabilitation doesn't appear to work atall.
Here's my request thread. Dominant Sub, male or female, I don't mind: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=28850.0

Oniya

Quote from: overfiend87 on January 27, 2009, 07:09:01 AM
For one thing if it's broadcasted, more people will not break the law, especially if they know the type of punishment they would be delt with, but that's my belief.

In many jurisdictions, committing murder makes you eligible for the death penalty, something that makes the US look bad in many European's view.  Despite this clearly broadcast punishment, people still commit murder.  There are mandatory minimums for certain drug-related crimes (possession, distribution, etc.), but people still buy and sell drugs.

I won't deny that there are times when harsh punishments are warranted, but knowing the punishments doesn't seem to stop people who are really determined to take a course of action.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

LaCroix

It does not, however, mean that the punishment is not justified. As far as I am concerned, if you see fit to end the life of another person (unless it should happen as a means of self preservation, a defense of your own life) then you deserve to put under the death penalty. If you claim another life out of malic or greed or what have you, then as far as I am concerned you have through that act relinquished all right to your own right to continue living.

In my mind, not putting a murderer (one has as I said before, killed out of malic, greed, or any other reason other than self defense of their own life or a loved ones through some direct threat) then you devalue the life of the victim. It is, as far as I am concered, the same as saying that the life of a murderer is more valued than the life of the victim.

Some people will openly disagree with that standpoint and I can respect that, but it is my own personal opinion on the matter. I'll also add here that I agree with Ket, however, I am of an even firmer opinion. Some people cannot be reasoned with. Some people refuse to negotiate and some people or factions are only going to back down if they recognize that statements made to the point of 'This and this will not be tolerated' are going to be back up by threat of force.

Having said that, I do not believe we need to be war mongering, or looking under rocks for the next threat, but when and if the next threat presents itself, I personally feel safer knowing said threat might be a little bit more cautious to poke its head up if it knows that when it takes some action against this country or its citizens that it might get that head blown off if the situation warrents such a reaction.
Mickey Mouse's birthday being announced on the television news as if it were an actual event! I don't give a shit! If I cared about Mickey Mouse's birthday I would have memorized it years ago! And I'd send him a card, 'Dear Mickey, Happy Birthday, Love George'. I don't do that, why, don't give a shit! Fuck Mickey Mouse! Fuck him in the ass with a big rubber dick! Then break it off and beat him with it!

Oniya

Quote from: LaCroix on January 31, 2009, 03:50:02 AM
It does not, however, mean that the punishment is not justified. As far as I am concerned, if you see fit to end the life of another person (unless it should happen as a means of self preservation, a defense of your own life) then you deserve to put under the death penalty. If you claim another life out of malic or greed or what have you, then as far as I am concerned you have through that act relinquished all right to your own right to continue living.

In my mind, not putting a murderer (one has as I said before, killed out of malic, greed, or any other reason other than self defense of their own life or a loved ones through some direct threat) then you devalue the life of the victim. It is, as far as I am concered, the same as saying that the life of a murderer is more valued than the life of the victim.

Some people will openly disagree with that standpoint and I can respect that, but it is my own personal opinion on the matter. I'll also add here that I agree with Ket, however, I am of an even firmer opinion. Some people cannot be reasoned with. Some people refuse to negotiate and some people or factions are only going to back down if they recognize that statements made to the point of 'This and this will not be tolerated' are going to be back up by threat of force.

Having said that, I do not believe we need to be war mongering, or looking under rocks for the next threat, but when and if the next threat presents itself, I personally feel safer knowing said threat might be a little bit more cautious to poke its head up if it knows that when it takes some action against this country or its citizens that it might get that head blown off if the situation warrents such a reaction.

Actually, we don't disagree that much.  I just think that when the punishment has been justified (by examining actual evidence, beyond a reasonable doubt), it should be dispensed with swiftly and cleanly. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17