Pokemon: Path of Destiny; No Longer Seeking; Thank You!

Started by King Serperior, July 27, 2016, 07:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AribethAmkiir

Okay, so my understanding of the region is that most of the cities are coastal, and the interior is "wasteland" - which I imagine means very few rivers or lakes? 

I'll think of something else.  Thank you for the head's up.

King Serperior

I wouldn't say a wasteland, but rather, the biggest cities are coastal where the war didn't reach.  The interior is mostly rural and filled with dense forests, deserts, and even some ruined areas where the largest battles took place.  There are some rivers and lakes scattered throughout Tokai, but there are also large areas where water is scarce, such as the mountainous areas (though there are caves with water and interior lakes) and deserts.  As I said, your character could certainly use a Tentacool if they wanted, but there will be some places where it's use will be slightly limited.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Mr L

Quote from: King Serperior on August 24, 2016, 04:33:24 PM
I wouldn't say a wasteland, but rather, the biggest cities are coastal where the war didn't reach.  The interior is mostly rural and filled with dense forests, deserts, and even some ruined areas where the largest battles took place.  There are some rivers and lakes scattered throughout Tokai, but there are also large areas where water is scarce, such as the mountainous areas (though there are caves with water and interior lakes) and deserts.  As I said, your character could certainly use a Tentacool if they wanted, but there will be some places where it's use will be slightly limited.

Would one be able to go out on a limb to say it's mostly uninhabited nature?
O/Os | A/As | | My Ideas I have taken the Oath of the Drake

King Serperior

Quote from: Mr L on August 24, 2016, 07:01:01 PM
Would one be able to go out on a limb to say it's mostly uninhabited nature?
In a sense, yes.  There are some small towns and villages scattered around the interior land, but they are usually small.  The only exceptions are two large towns that each house a Gym.  The region is huge and the population is relatively small since many died in the civil war.  Even before then, much of the region was unexplored, which is perfect for scientists, explorers, treasure hunters, and the like.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Kimera

King Serperior

Well, if you need some help narrowing them down, feel free to list them and I'll help by providing my own thoughts and opinions.   :-)

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Kimera

Well, here's in short what I have of loose concepts:

- a medium able to talk to the dead, and has a ghost pokemon theme
- girl believes she's an actual witch and has a couple naughty (ghost) pokemon assisting her. (variant to the first)
- eevee trainer starting out with a couple eevee pups, but through the game each will evolve differently
- archeologist / fossil nut

King Serperior

Quote from: Kimera on August 25, 2016, 06:33:17 AM
Well, here's in short what I have of loose concepts:

- a medium able to talk to the dead, and has a ghost pokemon theme
I'll have to say no to actually talking to the dead, but I wouldn't be opposed to someone who thinks they can talk to the dead.  As with psychic powers and the problems they can hold in games, mediums will be limited.  That said, a ghost-type trainer wouldn't be turned away.  We already have a Fighting type and Psychic type trainer.

- girl believes she's an actual witch and has a couple naughty (ghost) pokemon assisting her. (variant to the first)
May I ask what you mean by 'naughty ghost Pokemon?'  If it is what I am thinking, I must remind you that this game is not about sex or ecchi situations and is heavily story-based.  If by naughty, you mean trouble-making prankster ghosts, then that is acceptable as long as you know that such things will mean they will be caught at some point.

- eevee trainer starting out with a couple eevee pups, but through the game each will evolve differently
An Eevee trainer sounds like a pretty good idea!  There's eight different Eeveelutions, so your character could easily mix-and-match or even have one Eevee refuse to evolve if you wanted!

- archeologist / fossil nut
Unfortunately, an archeologist/fossil nut is much too close to two characters we have now.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Kimera

Quote from: King Serperior on August 25, 2016, 06:43:00 AM
I'll have to say no to actually talking to the dead, but I wouldn't be opposed to someone who thinks they can talk to the dead.  As with psychic powers and the problems they can hold in games, mediums will be limited.  That said, a ghost-type trainer wouldn't be turned away.  We already have a Fighting type and Psychic type trainer.
Obviously, but he/she has the whole vibe going and all the ghost pokemon add to the act

May I ask what you mean by 'naughty ghost Pokemon?'  If it is what I am thinking, I must remind you that this game is not about sex or ecchi situations and is heavily story-based.  If by naughty, you mean trouble-making prankster ghosts, then that is acceptable as long as you know that such things will mean they will be caught at some point.
Naughty as in pranksters. I'm well aware of no sex related stuff with pokemon. Wasn't aiming for that. So, like she acts like she 'curses' someone and then one of her friends causes some misfortune ^^

An Eevee trainer sounds like a pretty good idea!  There's eight different Eeveelutions, so your character could easily mix-and-match or even have one Eevee refuse to evolve if you wanted!
I know, so I'm torn between this one and a ghost trainer

Unfortunately, an archeologist/fossil nut is much too close to two characters we have now.
Well it was concept nr 4, so not high on my list.

King Serperior

Another option for a medium is that the character thinks they are a detective and gets into trouble often because they stick their nose where it doesn't belong.  They could use ghost types to fuel this 'detective work.'

The ghost trainer could also be a con artist who schemes small-time 'get rich quick' ideas, thus getting into trouble often.  Or the trainer could be a trickster who does card tricks and the like with the 'help' of their ghost types who 'cheat.'

As for the Eeveelution trainer, there are multiple options such as a Pokemon breeder who focuses solely on Eevee;  Another option is being someone who wants to become a contest star;  Another option is to be a Pokemon stylist who likes to groom Pokemon;  Yet another idea is an artist who enjoys drawing.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

AribethAmkiir

Sorry,  got distracted last night, and the whole Tentacool thing caused me to stumble.   I'm back on track now, though,  so I should have something out shortly.

Aiden

I haven't read the entire setting, but I am in a Pokemon mood. Still recruiting one? I can work a sheet up if so.

King Serperior

Alright, recruitment is officially closed now!

Against my better judgement, I will be taking up to eight trainers instead of the originally planned six.  As such, with these last three interested parties, that is all I will take.  Thank you everyone else who was interested.

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on August 25, 2016, 11:52:43 AM
Sorry,  got distracted last night, and the whole Tentacool thing caused me to stumble.   I'm back on track now, though,  so I should have something out shortly.
No problem at all.  I do apologize for the Tentacool issues.  >.<

That said, if you have any questions at all, please let me know!

Quote from: Aiden on August 25, 2016, 12:15:06 PM
I haven't read the entire setting, but I am in a Pokemon mood. Still recruiting one? I can work a sheet up if so.
Well, this is an unexpected surprise!  Glad to see you interested, Aiden!

As noted above, I have decided that I will, at most, take eight and you're number eight!  So, after you've read the setting information, if you have any questions regarding anything, let me know!  Do you have any character concepts in mind?

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Mr L

I like both concepts too much to be of any assistance Kimera :P While my nb Psychic Aurora will be focusing on a team they can bond with, it's not going to be exclusively Psychic types, as they have a Litwick too (that's going to be a little shit to the rest of you >:) though not entirely sure how)

Also, KS, I've been meaning to ask (or I did and can't remember the answer), but how strict is the reaslism regarding pokedex entries going to be? Ex: Litwick feeds on the life energy of others, which is where its flame comes from. Or Honedge, where if you grab its hilt, the cloth attached to it will wrap around your hand and drain you of your life energy. I mean, there would be some pokes we would NEVER want to run into, just from their Pokedex entries alone!

King Serperior

Quote from: Mr L on August 25, 2016, 12:46:25 PM
Also, KS, I've been meaning to ask (or I did and can't remember the answer), but how strict is the reaslism regarding pokedex entries going to be? Ex: Litwick feeds on the life energy of others, which is where its flame comes from. Or Honedge, where if you grab its hilt, the cloth attached to it will wrap around your hand and drain you of your life energy. I mean, there would be some pokes we would NEVER want to run into, just from their Pokedex entries alone!
In my opinion, a number of Pokedex entries are exaggerated a little.  For example, the Litwick entry is based on the fact that I see its flame growing or diminishing with the energy that its trainer shows.  So, if Aurora is excited and pumped, the flame will be larger than normal while if they are feeling down, the flame will mirror that by being a little smaller.  If there are questions like that regarding certain Pokedex entries, let me know and I'll answer them.  Of course, there might be some entries that are true.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Aiden

Awesome, do you have a approved charter sheet? I want to make sure i don't accidentally copy someone's concept.

King Serperior

Quote from: Aiden on August 25, 2016, 12:59:08 PM
Awesome, do you have a approved charter sheet? I want to make sure i don't accidentally copy someone's concept.
These are the five approved characters:

Character Thread:  As you'll see in our current cast of characters, we have:  A traveling trainer and explorer, a psychic treasure hunter, a somewhat spoiled, over-prepared rich girl who is in way over her head, a rather gutsy fighting-type trainer looking to prove herself, and a pop star who ran away from the limelight in order to become the person she wants to be instead of a spoiled voice.

The code for the character sheet is on the first post of this thread as well.

As always, questions about character concepts and Pokemon are always welcome.    :-)

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Mr L

Quote from: King Serperior on August 25, 2016, 12:51:31 PM
In my opinion, a number of Pokedex entries are exaggerated a little.  For example, the Litwick entry is based on the fact that I see its flame growing or diminishing with the energy that its trainer shows.  So, if Aurora is excited and pumped, the flame will be larger than normal while if they are feeling down, the flame will mirror that by being a little smaller.  If there are questions like that regarding certain Pokedex entries, let me know and I'll answer them.  Of course, there might be some entries that are true.

I like that, that's cute! And a good way to show off his bond with them. Like as we discussed, Natu, when she evolves into Xatu, will have a limited view into the past and future, right? I'm thinking that Staryu/Starmie will show off its own mood based on the color of its gem, if that is alright, granted Aurora won't be able to recognize which is which off hand, beyond red = calm/at ease.

King Serperior

Quote from: Mr L on August 25, 2016, 01:03:20 PM
I like that, that's cute! And a good way to show off his bond with them. Like as we discussed, Natu, when she evolves into Xatu, will have a limited view into the past and future, right? I'm thinking that Staryu/Starmie will show off its own mood based on the color of its gem, if that is alright, granted Aurora won't be able to recognize which is which off hand, beyond red = calm/at ease.
You would be correct with Xatu.  After all, the Pokemon can see possible pasts and futures and for all Aurora knows, trying to prevent one future could cause it to happen or trying to get to another could cause that future to never happen.  It would be quite confusing and muddled, likely to give them a headache trying to translate it.  Of course, any visions of past or future will have to have GM approval since that is potentially a very powerful thing.

As for Staryu/Starmie's moods, that works, though only Starmie can change gem colors.  Staryu's is always red, but blinks slowly like a human heartbeat.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

AribethAmkiir

Hey KS, how are we doing moves?  I read that your philosophy/stance is to be practical and not go overboard, but if a Pokemon doesn't know the move at the beginning of the game, how difficult is it going to be to teach it to them during the game?

King Serperior

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on August 25, 2016, 01:58:57 PM
Hey KS, how are we doing moves?  I read that your philosophy/stance is to be practical and not go overboard, but if a Pokemon doesn't know the move at the beginning of the game, how difficult is it going to be to teach it to them during the game?
Ah, that question was asked earlier, so here's the answer:

Quote from: King Serperior on July 28, 2016, 11:37:57 PM
So, TMs/HMs DO NOT exist.   If a Pokemon is large enough to fly and carry a trainer on its back (Scyther, Heracross, Pidgeot), then it can.  However, a Pokemon like Spearow or Pidgey or Doduo cannot carry a trainer on their back or cannot fly period (Doduo).  The same can be said of Pokemon that can swim and are strong enough to let a trainer ride on them or allow a trainer to cling to them.  That means that a Pokemon like Aggron, while it can learn Surf in the games, is not a Pokemon that would go swimming, so no Aggrons in the water!

Some moves require tutors.  This means there is a trainer and a Pokemon that can, for money and time (or just the goodness of their hearts), can help teach another Pokemon a move.  For example, a trainer and a Hitmonchan that knows Ice Punch could help another trainer's Snorlax learn that move.  If you are unsure, please ask and I'll let you know if it is possible for a Pokemon to learn the move.

Finally, I want creativity!  Just writing that a Pokemon used some move is boring!  For example, let's say that a Nidoking used Sludge Bomb on a Pokemon and covered it with sludge!  It could then use Ice Beam to freeze that Sludge solid and make things more difficult!  Use the terrain to your advantage!  Use moves outside of battle to make things easier!  For example:  Let's say that the group comes across a deep gorge and no one has a Flying type capable of carrying people over.  One trainer loves Bug Pokemon a lot.  So, a plan is formed for the Bug Trainer to send out his Spinarak, Weedle, and Sewadde to begin spinning threads.  My character has a Noibat and would take the thickly coiled strand of web and fly it to the other side and stick it somewhere.  From there, the three bug types can spin up a makeshift rope bridge in a matter of hours, saving the group from a dangerous climb down and then back up the other side OR the multi-day journey around the gorge!

So, does that answer your questions?

I would also like to point out that most Pokemon typically use less than 8 moves on average and generally those it prefers to use.  So, typically, Pokemon use between six and twelve moves, though they may know others.  If you plan to add a list of moves for reference for your Pokemon, please run them by me first.  If you don't add a list, at least run the moves by me before you start having your Pokemon use extremely powerful attacks.

In the character sheet thread, Koga and Aurora have a listing of moves their Pokemon know and use most often.  You can use that as a reference.

As for learning new moves, so long as the Pokemon can actually learn it, there are ways in the story they can do so.  In fact, some Pokemon learn new moves instinctively as they become stronger and better trained.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Mr L

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on August 25, 2016, 01:58:57 PM

Like with Aurora's and Koga's teams, crazy powerful moves are possible though our teams should still be weak enough that even a Noibat with Draco Meteor is possible, it'll have diminishing or unexpected, if any, results. Aurora's Staryu, as another example, with its Hydro Pump. Because of its size and strength right now, Brine, even, isn't able to be used from a standing position, instead, it uses the powerful jet of water to make its own body a projectile. Hydro Pump does the same thing, though A: it'll be harder to control, if at all, and B: It'll more than likely hurt itself multiple times during the move's use. I now have the image of Staryu flying around the battlefield because of it, similar to Sushi's Tidal Wave attack from the first Paper Mario, to give an idea of how inefficient the strongest water type attack for it will be. Doesn't stop the pokemon from knowing/using it, just don't expect the move to always work the way it's intended.

King Serperior

As a guide for those who are thinking about Water-Types, I thought I would make a list of those Pokemon that are not very capable on dry land and thus are more limited without water, usually losing mobility:

Horsea -> Seadra -> Kingdra:  Can balance and hop on their tails, but are much less mobile on land.
Goldeen -> Seaking:  Can use their tails to 'jump' forward, but their mobility is even less than the Horsea line.
Magikarp:  Honestly, just use Gyarados as Magikarp is useless, even in the water.
Remoraid:  Octillery is the goal for this Pokemon when it comes to getting out of the water.
Wailmer -> Wailord:  Wailmer is small enough to bounce like a beach ball out of water, but Wailord is really a beached whale otherwise.
Feebas:  Same as Magikarp, but with Milotic instead.
Luvdisc:  Basically becomes a sitting duck on land.
Finneon -> Lumineon:  While Lumineon's large fins can catch air like a kite, it's not a reliable means of movement.
Basculin:  Even on land, it is dangerous....if one gets to close to the almost immobile Pokemon.
Alomomola:  Same as Luvdisk, a sitting duck.
Tentacool -> Tentacruel:  Tentacool's tentacles are not strong or numerous enough to do more than drag itself across the ground.  Tentacruel, however, can move fairly well.
Chinchou -> Lanturn:  Though Chinchou can hop around on land with ease, Lanturn is much more at home in the water.
Qwilfish:  It can puff itself up to propel itself like Wailmer can using its strong tail as a way to bounce.
Mantyke -> Mantine:  At best, they can glide, but lose mobility otherwise.
Carvanha -> Sharpedo:  Though they can balance on their fins, their movement is greatly decreased.
Barboach -> Whiscash:  Barboach can't move well on land, but Whiscash's strong fins allow it to move (slowly) over land much better.
Skrelp -> Dragalge:  Like the Horsea line, they can balance on their tails.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Kimera

Quote from: King Serperior on August 25, 2016, 06:59:22 AM
Another option for a medium is that the character thinks they are a detective and gets into trouble often because they stick their nose where it doesn't belong.  They could use ghost types to fuel this 'detective work.'

The ghost trainer could also be a con artist who schemes small-time 'get rich quick' ideas, thus getting into trouble often.  Or the trainer could be a trickster who does card tricks and the like with the 'help' of their ghost types who 'cheat.'

As for the Eeveelution trainer, there are multiple options such as a Pokemon breeder who focuses solely on Eevee;  Another option is being someone who wants to become a contest star;  Another option is to be a Pokemon stylist who likes to groom Pokemon;  Yet another idea is an artist who enjoys drawing.

Quote from: Mr L on August 25, 2016, 12:46:25 PM
I like both concepts too much to be of any assistance Kimera :P While my nb Psychic Aurora will be focusing on a team they can bond with, it's not going to be exclusively Psychic types, as they have a Litwick too (that's going to be a little shit to the rest of you >:) though not entirely sure how)

Argh, now I can't choose at all. Both concepts having so much potential.

King Serperior

Quote from: Kimera on August 25, 2016, 03:34:16 PM
Argh, now I can't choose at all. Both concepts having so much potential.
Well, if you want, you could perhaps get the opinions of other players.  I could ask in the OOC and that could narrow down.

Other options could be that a trainer is looking to make a cookbook by traveling and has a few 'cooking/eating' focused Pokemon such as Munchlax, Lickitung, a Rotom that has possessed an oven (Rotom-Heat), or a Swirlix for example!  Remember, themes are always interesting and fun and you don't have to have a character who's built to handle the Tokai region from the get-go!

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace