Women! You Need to Prepare for Your Rape

Started by Pointless Digression, May 25, 2011, 09:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pointless Digression

Last Friday, Kansas legislators approved a ban on insurance companies offering abortion coverage as part of their general health plans. The one exception: when a woman's life is at risk.

This does not sit well with Pete DeGraaf (R-Nutland). He does not believe the state should fund abortions, a legal, constitutionally protected medical procedure, in any case. Women should be responsible for paying for their own legal, constitutionally protected abortions, even if they receive health care coverage through the state of Kansas.

The cost of such procedures should be something that women "plan ahead for":

Bollier asked him, "And so women need to plan ahead for issues that they have no control over with pregnancy?"

DeGraaf drew groans of protest from some House members when he responded, "I have a spare tire on my car." "I also have life insurance," he added. "I have a lot of things that I plan ahead for."

[sarcasm]All right then. You heard what the man said, women. You need to plan now to pay for your abortion following your rape later. Perhaps a quarter jar in the living room? Every time someone says, "abortion," you have to add to the jar.

Buy a savings bond for your daughters' abortion fund! If you buy it when they're young, that compound interest will really make a dent.[/sarcasm]

By the way, the DeGraaf is also an associate pastor.

Trieste

Even better, I'm going to start selling rape insurance in Kansas.

I'll make a killing!

SinXAzgard21

And this is my point of why religious people should never be allowed to touch politics. 
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Callie Del Noire

Wow.. if that was .. .. just wow. I can't imagine what to say about something so fundamentally.. stupid.

I'm simply gobsmacked.

Oniya

Planning ahead...  Let's see...  It's already been proven that 'dressing safe' and 'being in safe places' isn't enough (I'm looking at you, date-rape statistics!), and using health insurance (which would correspond to using life insurance as a protection for the consequences of death) is out, and I can't imagine a rapist would be too keen on 'Hey, could you put this condom on?'

That leaves only a few options:  hormonal birth control (which many of the fanatically right have issues with), physical birth control, i.e., having my tubes tied (which many doctors won't do without a set of hoop-jumping and a 60 minute presentation from the patient with at least 3 primary sources and a journal publication)...

What are the procedures for getting a CCW license in Kansas?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on May 25, 2011, 12:34:03 PM
Planning ahead...  Let's see...  It's already been proven that 'dressing safe' and 'being in safe places' isn't enough (I'm looking at you, date-rape statistics!), and using health insurance (which would correspond to using life insurance as a protection for the consequences of death) is out, and I can't imagine a rapist would be too keen on 'Hey, could you put this condom on?'

That leaves only a few options:  hormonal birth control (which many of the fanatically right have issues with), physical birth control, i.e., having my tubes tied (which many doctors won't do without a set of hoop-jumping and a 60 minute presentation from the patient with at least 3 primary sources and a journal publication)...

What are the procedures for getting a CCW license in Kansas?

And correct me if I am wrong, but isnt' hormonal Birth Control only like 99.<something>% effective? I recall one of my pastors having a kid called 'Roulette' because his wife's birth control failed. The kid was awesome and ten kinds of wild (of course he's a preacher's kid.. so that is sort of expected)

Oniya

Most forms of birth control are 99.<something>% effective, when properly used.  That is, taking all the pills on time, putting the condom on properly each time (yes, some people mess that up), making sure the diaphragm is properly fitted, etc.  That's a pretty good efficacy rating, though (for example, a product that kills 99.9% of bacteria is considered effective as a non-food contact sanitizer).

Referring to it as 'only' 99.#% effective is a little misleading.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on May 25, 2011, 01:06:23 PM
Most forms of birth control are 99.<something>% effective, when properly used.  That is, taking all the pills on time, putting the condom on properly each time (yes, some people mess that up), making sure the diaphragm is properly fitted, etc.  That's a pretty good efficacy rating, though (for example, a product that kills 99.9% of bacteria is considered effective as a non-food contact sanitizer).

Referring to it as 'only' 99.#% effective is a little misleading.

I wasn't criticizing it. I find it infinitely annoying that foolish men who don't have no bearing or investment in the situation decide that 'Birth Control' fixes all problems. I've had friends who were date raped. Who made me SWEAR on my word not to go to anyone or take any actions against the tool that did it.

It's infuriating to see these.. men brush aside the emotional and psychological issues involved. I would dearly love to slap these little toads with a sledge hammer.. if it would help ease the pain of folks like my friend. She pointedly made it a point to break contact with anyone she knew in the service after a while and vanished. I worried about her for a long time, till I heard she FINALLY got councelling.

To hear that women need to 'prepare', 'dress right', and other utter crap that these tools say pisses me off.

Sorry if I irked you Oniya.. I was asking not because i see their excuses as valid but because I think they stupidly blow past the real data in the situation and down play what I've seen as one of the most emotionally damaging events in a woman's life.

Oniya

No harm, no foul.  :-)  I'm sure that Mr. DeGraff would have told your pastor that his wife should have 'prepared better' (whatever 'better' might have been).

Actually, I think Mr. DeGraff is of the opinion that women should have a couple thousand dollars (the quote I saw for a late-second-trimester abortion) on reserve, 'just in case'.  (Yes, I know that Plan B is much less expensive - when you can get it - but I'm going worst case scenario here.)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on May 25, 2011, 01:24:19 PM
No harm, no foul.  :-)  I'm sure that Mr. DeGraff would have told your pastor that his wife should have 'prepared better' (whatever 'better' might have been).

You know.. I'd pay good money to see that go down. His wife (all like 90 pounds of her) would have shoved her husband aside and ripped DeGraff apart. Verbally and quite possibly physically. (Did I mention she was an Irish American redhead?)

Of course I was always taught that it took two to make a baby (to retreat to the blunt crude comments of the Carolinas where I grew up). I am always amazed how many times I've heard it said it was the 'girl's fault' in the media.

TheVillain

I know it's not very democratic, but personally I've always felt that there should be a mechanism in place so that laws based using arguments with no rational basis should be instantly invalidated.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: TheVillain on May 25, 2011, 01:52:46 PM
I know it's not very democratic, but personally I've always felt that there should be a mechanism in place so that laws based using arguments with no rational basis should be instantly invalidated.

Wow.. I wonder how many laws would drop off the books by that criteria?

Shjade

I'm still shaking my head at the guy comparing rape preparedness with having a spare tire.

I'm not the only one who sees the correlation to carrying a "rubber," am I? Eh? Eeeeeh?
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Oniya

*facepalms*  Missed that.  *turns in punster license*

gaggedLouise

Well, they could mitigate the risk of rape by dressing less provocatively. Or by not working on their own at night in hotels and bars.  ::) *sarcasm*

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Pumpkin Seeds

I think his comment has more to do with him being an idiot than being religious.

Wistful Dream

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on May 25, 2011, 04:54:46 PM
I think his comment has more to do with him being an idiot than being religious.

+1

Noelle

I personally have thrice-locking undergarments under my hijab just in case someone mistakes my "hello" for "more penis, please!"

phoenyx

NICE! Where did ya find those Noelle?

Clearly, that man has never had a female close to him raped and pregnant because of the rape. *shakes head*
♪ But my secrets are so safe
The only one who gets me ♪

O/O

Noelle

Why, from the Prepa-rape-tion store, of course! My #1 stop for all rape prevention tools!

Belle33

The business of how a woman pays for an abortion in Kansas will be moot as doctors willing to perform the procedure are killed (RIP Dr. George Tiller).   

I'm pro-life type person, but I think the focus of like minded people needs to be on helping women find the resources they need to keep a child if they feel they may be unable, or guidance through the legal system if they choose to allow a child to be adopted.  I believe women often turn to abortion because they aren't aware or don't have easy access to alternatives - which I think should include free birth control and sex education. 

Rather than promoting those alternatives - pro-lifers tend to shove their views (and warped values) down the throats of people who are likely in bad way already.  Never have I met a person who delighted in the prospect of having an abortion.  Why spend so much time, money, and effort attacking doctors, attacking women, and attacking people's pocketbooks when more could be done to actually aid the entire situation by directing the resources more compassionately. 

It seems this will never happen, so I remain a pro-life-right-to-choose enigma who will never move to Kansas. 

Ons/Offs, Stories & Poems, Currently Not Available for RP

Oniya

Just because it seems to get lost in the rhetoric so often:  The right to choose includes the right to choose to keep the baby, and to choose giving the baby up for adoption, as well as the right to choose abortion.

Noelle

Quote from: Belle33 on May 28, 2011, 02:16:28 PM
The business of how a woman pays for an abortion in Kansas will be moot as doctors willing to perform the procedure are killed (RIP Dr. George Tiller).   

I'm pro-life type person, but I think the focus of like minded people needs to be on helping women find the resources they need to keep a child if they feel they may be unable, or guidance through the legal system if they choose to allow a child to be adopted.  I believe women often turn to abortion because they aren't aware or don't have easy access to alternatives - which I think should include free birth control and sex education. 

Rather than promoting those alternatives - pro-lifers tend to shove their views (and warped values) down the throats of people who are likely in bad way already.  Never have I met a person who delighted in the prospect of having an abortion.  Why spend so much time, money, and effort attacking doctors, attacking women, and attacking people's pocketbooks when more could be done to actually aid the entire situation by directing the resources more compassionately. 

It seems this will never happen, so I remain a pro-life-right-to-choose enigma who will never move to Kansas.

I think you have the right idea here (and I will reiterate what Oniya said, that pro-choice is just that -- the choice is there to have an abortion or to keep the baby. The important thing is that a woman is able to choose.) -- I think it's important to shift our efforts from trying to ban abortion to pouring our resources into preventing the need for one to begin with. Once both sides can come together on that, I think we as a nation could really start to see some progress in the matter.

phoenyx

Quote from: Noelle on May 28, 2011, 01:29:59 PM
Why, from the Prepa-rape-tion store, of course! My #1 stop for all rape prevention tools!

nice. i gotta see if there is such around here, or find em online... o.O

right to choose, right to life... i stand by the outlook of it is my body, what MAN, or anyone else, is going to tell me what I can or can't do with it. that includes having a baby or an abortion.

personally, though I do not agree with abortion as a regular form of birth control, nor do i believe partial birth abortions are right (after all, by that time ya might as well have the baby and give it up), i do think it is better to have trained professionals that know what they're doing then leave women the option of a back ally doc who could seriously harm or kill her, from lack of education or sanitation.
♪ But my secrets are so safe
The only one who gets me ♪

O/O