Imperial China - Historical, Fantasy, Sci Fi

Started by Xue, August 23, 2017, 02:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xue

Overview:
I'm seeking a writer/s to develop a world setting through character building and roleplay, based on Imperial China and either extrapolated forward into a science fiction setting, or adapted to incorporate fantasy elements, though not specifically based on any one "setting" for this culture (L5R, Vampire etc).

Casual References:
The Curse of the Golden Flower
River of Stars
House of Flying Daggers
Legend of Ravaging Dynasties

Plot Arc:
Various. I'm a sucker for romance, but I'd like to develop arcs with political intrigue, assassination, military coups, war etc.

Detail:
I've been intrigued by the structure and cultural mythology surrounding Imperial China for a while, particularly the way it's been adapted for film and quasi-fantasy text (White Tiger, Under Heaven, Red Cliff etc) and would like to write a story set in a society structured similarly - either historically or extrapolated from (Chung Kuo series). Elements of chinese culture have fed into Western science fiction (Jon Courtney Grimwood, William Gibson etc) and thus I'm teetering between a push either backwards into a low fantasy historical setting, or forwards into quasi-WH40k high tech science fiction.

I''m looking for a collaborative writer/s (happy to take more than one if I get good synergy) who can help develop the world as well as write plot and character. I'm negotiable on many points, but particularly interested in writers who have either a strong attraction to history, or a solid grounding in cultural/sociological analysis - at least enough to talk about why particular themes/values exist in a society, how to extrapolate class/social systems from them, etc.

I'm looking for higher volume, detail, character development and story progression rather than a rapid fire back and forth with this one, but would like at least one response per week.

My O/O thread is here, which covers my particular preferences for writing and sexual scenes.

I expect that this concept will require multiple characters, and we can discuss how to best manage a wider cast than two. Hopefully anything agreed on will be done so with making flexibility and creativity easier, not more difficult and restrictive.

Please PM me, do not reply here as I will not check back regularly.

Thank you.