The name game

Started by sluggerjackson, September 06, 2012, 06:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sluggerjackson

Something I very much love about Elliquiy is all the usernames. I find the majority of them creative and intriguing. Sometimes (when I'm bored at work) I'll look at names of people on and try to guess or imagine why they picked those names.

The point? Well I'd like to start a little thread here where you can go ahead and post what your name is all about.

Obviously I'll go first:

A huge facet in my life is my ongoing training to become a Professor of history. Now my actual area of specialty is Colonialism and the Atlantic World, and my name actually has nothing to do with that.

But it still has to do with history.

For a long time I've been a World War Two buff, with a particular interest in vehicles of the war. I'm sure this have everything to with being a veteran of a mechanized infantry unit of myself in the recent Iraq conflict.

During World War two, the US Army did not designate it's vehicles with names. If you've ever heard of a Sherman Tank, it wasn't the US Army that gave it that name, it was typically the British who found the US's habit of just calling things an M4 or M3 rather dull.
Hang in there we're almost to the pay off.
One such vehicle, the M36 Tank Destroyer ended up with two names. First was the Jackson, named for Stonewall Jackson of Civil War, and the other apparently was "Slugger" which I suspect (but haven't had the time to prove) was because of the US's unique sport of Baseball.
So when I was sitting at my computer registering for Elliquiy, (quite unexpectedly as I recall), I looked over at my bookshelf while searching for name inspiration and my World War Two books were staring back at me and here we are now.

now you try  ;)

Darwishi

In recent years I've wondered if I shouldn't change my name to SpandexFiend, it's far more appropriate given my tastes.  But I registered waaaaay back in 2005 before I had much of a chance to explore all of my fetishes and certainly had never thought of that name.

What I had thought of years before that was an Anubis type villain for a superhero game.  It was a chat RP and I wanted to go with an Egyptian name since the guy looked like he was from Egypt.  I do this with a lot of my characters (though not all) to see what names mean and to get a better idea of my characters.  Most of the time it's just for me, as most people aren't going to take the time to look up names of my characters.

Anyway! Back to Darwishi.  As you may have guessed it's an Egyptian name.  It means saint.  The name was tongue in cheek when I played it as the villain, and here it seemed like a good fit for the exact same reason.  I'm obviously NOT a saint, I just kind of liked the name and it worked well for the avatar name.

Mostly I had a Anubis-type villain that loved his superheroines named Darwishi, which is an Egyptian name for saint.  So that's where it comes from!

Mobats

Mobats is the combination of monkey and bats.  The term was uses by Kathleen Robertson playing Az in the Tin Man.  If you are still confused they are the flying monkeys from the Wizard of Oz.  It has been a long standing joke between my family and friends that if I could have them I would have a flock of flying monkeys.  They are my favorite animals.  I am addicted to all things Oz but mostly the books and the more modern retellings where they change it but keep the elements.