Shadows of the Sword Coast (Forgotten Realms 3.5)

Started by Nicolae, October 19, 2013, 10:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicolae

@Ixy: Nice backstory! Just a few questions. Who is At'ar? Did you mean to write Lathander there?

@Finn: Reply sent.

@Darkling: I forgot that you asked about a deadline. As it sits, I don't have one set, but I may have to if things start slowing down before I get 6 sheets.
O/O   Ideas

greenknight

Still an available slot? Looking to play a fighter/monk; Helmite templar who lost his faith in the Godswar and now walks the earth. You know, like Cain from Kung Fu. Of course he's a monk now.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

Ixy

Quote from: Calrond on October 23, 2013, 03:17:29 AM
@Ixy: Nice backstory! Just a few questions. Who is At'ar? Did you mean to write Lathander there?

Thank you for reading it over... I was a bit tipsy when I finished it so I take no responsibility for incoherence or weirdness of content.

As for At'ar-- she will call a god what a god wants to be called.  I am leaving it intentionally ambiguous as to who her "At'ar" actually is because I don't know a) when exactly in continuity At'ar was reborn as Lathander, and b) it's perfectly reasonable for her to be manipulated by deities without my knowing as a player what's correct/actual.  She might be getting lied to or she might just be fixated on who he used to be.

Nicolae

@greenknight: Things are filling up fast. I lost count of how many people are going to submit a full character in the next day or two.

@Ixy: No problem. Using a god's historical name is no problem.
O/O   Ideas

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Countdown0

My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

Ixy

Quote from: greenknight on October 23, 2013, 09:32:06 AM
Still an available slot? Looking to play a fighter/monk; Helmite templar who lost his faith in the Godswar and now walks the earth. You know, like Cain from Kung Fu. Of course he's a monk now.
Better deliver the case to Marcellus Wallace first :)

Ixy

It might help get the party together faster and fill in backstory if anyone wants to link character backgrounds-- like, if someone has experience hunting undead, or hanging out in the higher-priced rooms of local 'saloons' or taverns, OR worships Sune or Lathander?

Nicolae

I'll begin with the characters in a meeting with the Captain of the City Watch, having been invited there by their various contacts.
O/O   Ideas

EroticFantasyAuthor

Trying to come up with some friends/contacts/enemies for my character.

Landshark

Nicolae

@Landshark: Looks like your sheet is set to private.
O/O   Ideas

Landshark

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmm, 3.5 edition you say? To ask are following source books allowed or limited with stuff;

-Complete series (Complete Warrior, Divine, Adventure, Mage, Scoundrel)
-PHB II and extend DMG II
-Race series
-MIC (Magic Item Compendium)
-SC (Spell Compendium)
-Dragon Magic
-Tome of Magic (mostly thinking a binder or shadowcaster)

Last but not least; Marshal class?

Also; Leadership feat banned or allowed? Also if taking PrC which demands feat, can the PrC taken if other feat is replaced by leadership?

Landshark

Howdy Zaer! Im not in any kinda leadership role here but Ill pass along what has been said so far for you.
All the basic books are allowed so yes to your first 5 lines. Races are very restricted though as they are trying to keep the group most normal. Anything outside the basics you would need to get approaval for. 1/2 orcs are out as well. Dragon magic has been addressed that i know of so not sure. Tome i beleave is OK as well.
The Marshal class comes from the Miniatures Handbook and is not technically a 3.5 book even though it is so that too would be a DM call.
Leadership question will need to be DM handled as well.....hmmm i guess i really didnt help much there after all.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, it helps a lot to flesh my concept if Complete books are allowed. Although I have pondered on making a red wizard who masquerades as adventurer (and confuses folks with his femine appearance and most mistake him as woman until he speaks).

Landshark

Calrond has asked that no evil alignments be played without a really good story/background to go along with it so a red wizard might be out though that is for Calrond to say.

Landshark

Character background for Cornelius
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Cornelius was born, as most Harpells are, in the very small town of Longsaddle. His mother, a practiced alchemist, had been won over by a local man at a young age. Their romance however was short lived when a barn fire claimed his life. His mother couldn’t comprehend the tragedy at first and it was weeks before she realized that the pains and sickness were not side effects of grief but that of pregnancy. Raised within the compound he was taken in by many of the men of the family and shown what it was to be a man, a mage and most of all a Harpell. In a family with such rich history and many would say infamy he stood out not at all. Raised within the magical ancestral home of Ivy Mansion he went about as most children would and grew up with the constant taste of magic in the air. As many children of the family he was taught the basics of magic and it was soon discovered that he too had more than just a basic affinity toward it. His studies covered the gambit but he leaned most toward the arcane arts and history. His uncles Harkle and Malchor being the most influential. Harkle taught him the love of magic how it could be bent and manipulated while Malchor focused on the techniques and control of magic. He couldn’t have asked for better teachers and his studies advanced in leaps and bounds.

All of this did little to crush a wanderlust that had building within him. He constantly begged to travel with family members and the like, hoping for an adventure like he read about in the family histories. Finally after just turning fifteen he got his chance. A group of adventurers came to the estate seeking his families aid in defending a place called Mithral Hall. Many of the families top practitioners were assembled and with no small amount of begging they agreed to let Cornelius come along as a squire of sorts. What he witnessed at the horrible place still haunts his dreams. Magics and beast that couldn’t be imagined in most peoples worst nightmares were set loose within the large yet confined cavern. From his safe area Cornelius learned what it was to be a Harpell that day as he watched his uncles advance in the face of what was certain doom to uphold the promises and friendships they had made. In the end so few were left but thankfully most survived.

From that day he made himself a vow to take his studies to a new level. Seeing how the leaders of the invading force had manipulated an entire battlefield he focused himself on eliminating single individuals or small groups. More and more his spells focused on weakening others and burning down their leaders. This turn did not go unnoticed and was frowned upon for one so young to think so. Two years latter an uncontrolled summoning broke loose in the rear gardens and Cornelius took action. A slavering beast was accidentally set loose and with a few well placed shots Cornelius stood over the smoking corpse. There was no more arguing the point. He came from a long line of great mages and as such he would set out to find his own path to greatness.

Traveling south he could think of no better place to start then the city of Waterdeep. Known for its intrigue and wild stories he set forth. Upon reaching the city he took up a side job as a scribe to pay the bills but kept a steady eye on the posting for skilled mages needed. His employer, a Mr. Winterscale, was a good man and let Cornelius take his leave to chase his dreams. Working everything from vermin cleansing to kidnapped noble he never turned down a chance to make himself known, and the money was always welcomed. He was use to a life of luxury and it was hard to maintain on a scribes pay. 

Now in his twenty fifth year he stands a striking figure. His short dark brown hair lays in loose curls around the rakish looks of a man of knowledge focused with power. His bright green eyes are welcoming and his smile can start a band to play a jaunty tune. He loves to dance and drink but he isn’t good at either. He would rather buy a stranger a drink than bully one out the door and rarely looks to start a conflict until a line has been crossed. Those who don’t know better might assume he is a bard at least until he starts to sing along with the song.
Family:Cornelius comes from a huge family and as such has a slew of uncles and aunts as well as a small army of cousins. His mother Valera, is still alive and continues to live in the family estate continuing her alchemical research. He has few friends but many acquaintances. His closest friend at this time is Mr. Dolpen Winterscale who is also his part time employer. Winterscale has tried repeatedly to set Cornelius up with his daughter Becca but the two have no designs on each other though they do go out as friends from time to time.
Sexuality: Though by no means an expert in the fields of romance, dating or sex, Cornelius has had his share of forays into the night. He takes greater pleasure in a good conversation than a roll in the hay and has left more than one eager young woman confused after an engaging evening as he simply thanked her and walked away without so much as a kiss. This has lead to some interesting stories about him in the neighborhood since he is a rakish fellow who would have no problem meeting a woman and settling down. Some say he has a secret love others that being a Harpell has made him not quite a normal man and even stranger tales as well.

Nicolae

@Landshark: I'm still not seeing it. Has the link changed when you set it to Public? Based on the stuff I've seen so far, you're ready to go as soon as I see your sheet.

@Zaer: Those source books are fine with me, Marshal class is allowed (although we've already got another Marshal in the works if you'd rather do something else), and I don't mind Leadership taken as a feat as long as you don't mind the bookkeeping that comes with it (along with an IC reason for having a following). If you'd like to play as a Red Wizard, we'll talk via PM.

O/O   Ideas

Re Z L

Still working on it, but here's what I got so far...  I'll be editing this as I make the final touches.  Character sheet is also rough around the edges, haven't bought any magic items yet.

Elle "L" Ravalynn
Wild Child

Sorcerer 5/Wild Mage 3

Appearance:
Tiny and youthful, the young Sorceress seems many years younger than she really is due in no small part to her petite frame.  A small bust and somewhat boyish features make it easy for her to pass off as a boy from time to time.  A freckled face, with a button nose, what she lacks in raw sexuality she makes up for in natural cuteness.  Hair a strange, dark blue color--like stormy clouds--offset by the emerald color of her eyes.

Personality:
Bubbly and energetic, she is always looking for her next chance to have a little fun.  Chaotic to the core, she rarely has plans for anything, and instead simply follows her whimsy--or the whimsy of Lady Luck.  While her fun is rarely well-thought-out, it is always good intentioned (even if someone ends up with third degree burns...).

Biography:
When the gods were cast into Faerun from their heavenly abodes chaos arose and the Weave caught snarls and snags sending ripples throughout the world.

Born to the noble house, Moonstar, the young girl had little idea of what would come in the years following her birth.  As a young girl she was always mischievous, getting into whatever trouble she felt like she could get away with.  While this caused no end of consternation to older nobles, it was tolerated because she was "just a child".  This behavior continued as she grew into a teen, showing rather strong "tom-boyish" tendancies in addition to her more developed sense of making mischief.  Nobility came with many perks, growing up she had a safe environment to play and make friends, while receiving some tutoring regarding the wide world.  The tutoring rarely went very well due to her inability to concentrate on the lessons when there were much more interesting things going on outside.

The Time of Troubles was a difficult period for many people--and many deities.  When the goddess Shar appeared in Waterdeep masquerading as Selune, her family was caught up in a conflict that they were not yet prepared for.  Having already been in conflict with a fellow noble house who worshipped the Lady of Loss, they were dragged into an even more deadly struggle for survival.  Small skirmishes turned to bloody fights which turned to vicious attacks.  Some time into the conflict it was eventually revealed that Selune was really Shar in disguise, and the family of Moonstar rose up in retaliation.

Weave clashed with Shadow Weave, Divine against Arcane, steel against steel, and mortal against divinity.  Moonstar suffered heavy losses, but the evil goddess was eventually driven back and took to hiding in Undermountain before finally leaving Waterdeep.  In the wake of the battle Elle's parents had died along with some of her friends, but other ripples had yet to fully cascade throughout the city.  Like the aftershocks of an earthquake strange Wild Magic zones flickered to life briefly throughout the city.  Through a coincidence of magic and luck the stress of discovering her parents had been killed awoke the fire of sorcery within her blood--an ability that had rested dormant until just after reaching puberty--and the Wild Magic reacted in turn, exploding in a zone of unstable threads of Time and Magic around her.  It infected her body and her mind as time seemed to freeze for her for a moment while the power of magic surged through her blood like fire.  When time had finally caught back up to her there was a violent explosion that sent her flying.

Tongues of flame licked at her skin, though without burning her, turning to faint embers and disappearing.  Confused by the chaos in her mind she lost track of who she was and disappeared in the continued chaos around her.  It was easy to vanish, easy for the rest of the Moonstars to assume she had been killed in the fighting, and so it was for a few years.

The Mistshore wasn't an easy place to live for a little girl, but became less difficult when she showed off her ability to light people on fire with her mind.  Left alone to beg and get by on scraps she was eventually picked up by the church of Mystra.  She earned her keep with the church, which had temporarily adopted her in order to help keep her magic in check by training her how to use it more carefully.  Her "keeper" was a man by the name of Kristopher Ravalynn, whose last name she adopted.  He was also a sorcerer and had a similar predilection towards mischief as herself, though he kept it tempered with an overwhelming sense of duty.  She performed odds and ends for them, though volunteered quickly for more adventurous tasks which had her moving throughout the city doing all kinds of fun things.  She also got into occasional trouble with the law, though nothing too serious.  Her penance was usually helping them deal with bandits, or otherwise serve the "greater good" of the city in whatever way they felt she could handle.

Her memory remained foggy, though slowly she came to know that she had some life before magic, though it seemed distant and unreal to her.  The memory became more real when she happened upon one of her childhood friends.  Young girls, now both young women, recognized each other--her friend being Alianora Moonstar, a distant cousin of the noble house.  They spoke at length and Elle eventually convinced her friend Ali that she didn't want to go back to the family, still Ali wouldn't abandon her and helped to secretly help Elle in whatever way she could, sometimes directing work from the Moonstars her way.

Morality:
"Good" and "Evil" are concepts that she hasn't quite wrapped her head around.  Her morality is primarily devoted towards what is "fun" in her mind.  She has a sense of justice, though it isn't always consistent with itself.  Stealing from her is bad, but stealing from other people isn't necessarily such a bad thing for example.

Her fun is usually harmless, or what harm it does cause is very limited--harm being defined as physical injury to other people, property doesn't have feelings after all.

Sexual Background/Preferences:
Bisexual, inexperienced.

Ons & Offs:
No bathroom-play of course and some other weird stuff, but beyond that I'm pretty open...  If you're wondering just check with me first.  Any extra details can be found in my own ons/offs.  ;D

Quote:
"You'd look a lot better if you were on fire."

A&A

Nicolae

@Re Z L: I really like that character concept. Can you elaborate more about the relationships she's had throughout her life? Romantic, friendships, mentors, enemies, etc. A small paragraph about each of them would be fantastic.
O/O   Ideas

Re Z L

Quote from: Calrond on October 25, 2013, 01:55:58 AM
@Re Z L: I really like that character concept. Can you elaborate more about the relationships she's had throughout her life? Romantic, friendships, mentors, enemies, etc. A small paragraph about each of them would be fantastic.

yea, it's not nearly finished yet, I'll try and have it done soonish  ;D
A&A

greenknight

Cail has reputation.

That's always a loaded statement.

"He's that one dark, broody guy dressed like a preacher. Always with the sword at his side. Always quick to tell you wen you're being a miserable human being. High and mighty son of a bitch. Sure, he doesn't say anything about Clara's trade but he can go on and on about how I charge enough for my ale that I don't have to... Uhhh, never mind." -Bemond, a barkeep in Neverwinter

"Cail? The heretic, the blasphemer?  Miserable, damned soul. I might truly pity him if he didn't so richly deserve it. We'll see if he stands firm at judgment." -Amalric of Silverymoon

"No other human I'd want 'side me laddy, not after the Two Fords. Good in his cups, too. Damn shame he's bound fer the wall. No fit doom for any'un like him." -Thurfild Silveraxe

Cail is known as a man of will and severe in his judgments, but his judgment never seems to focus on those well aware of their shortcomings. Cail places value on integrity; if one is true to one’s nature that is all one can be.

What is known is Cail was a templar of Helm's temple in Suzail. He abandoned that calling a few years after the Godswar and has wandered and adventured since. He is known to worship no god and actively decline if offered. He is a generally abrasive personality to those he sees as contrary to themselves and his sword is eager to honor his oaths; many find great comfort in the latter. Cail's view of morality doesn't extend much past this truism. If you are comfortable in your acts and your skin, he doesn't condemn.

But he's perfectly happy to make exceptions.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

Florence

After I get a post done for another rp, I'm going to get to work on finishing up Medlineth finally xD
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Landshark

Quote from: Calrond on October 24, 2013, 05:55:07 PM
@Landshark: I'm still not seeing it. Has the link changed when you set it to Public? Based on the stuff I've seen so far, you're ready to go as soon as I see your sheet.

Hmph im not sure what im doing wrong. Ok one more try here...
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=688164
grr apparently there is a problem with making it public...lemme see if i can just copy paste it.