Hidden in the Smoke - D&D 5E {Iron Kingdoms} Recruiting

Started by Kakihara, January 08, 2024, 07:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kakihara

Hidden in the Smoke -Adventures in the Iron Kingdoms

The Order of the Crimson Fangs is a well-established mercenary company who’s been making changes under its newest leadership, looking to establish specialized squads outside of the normal war platoons.  Squads for use in specialized operations and request which they have been receiving more and more from the Cygnarian nobility as well as its industrial giants.  Headquartered in Steelwater Flats, with a small office in Point Bourne, the Order is able to mobilize and reach most areas quickly thanks to local rail or water ways.  You have been applied and been chosen to be part of one of these specialized squad meant to be able to investigate and deal with smaller issues and problems, both ones that are independent or that may be part of a larger campaign.

You have recruited as potential agents in the newly formed Black Wind Division, an experimental division within the mercenary company taking on jobs outside of it’s normal status quo.  Small, mobile units that can perform various series from investigations, retrieval and even sabotage as needed. More and more industry leaders and nobles are asking for small scale operations and help, enough to make it profitable for the Order to consider specialized units.  As the new recruits you will be expected to follow your initial orders but also to think on your feet when unexpected obstacles or information comes to the unit when in the field.  After all, nothing is ever easy in Immoren.

I’ll be implementing the standard D&D point built for the campaign of 27 points using the cost chart in the Players Handbook, and I assume the quick start rules if applicable.  I’ve listed the available Races, Humans in the first subsections broken down by countries, and Essences available in my world building thread.  You need to chose one race and one Essence and then one Background.  I’ve supplied what I can but if you want info on the various subcultures within a country for any reason, let me know and I can pm you the blurb on them.  I will consider Iron Kingdom Races outside of the main book but your background will really need to justify why they are in civilized lands and would be working for a mercenary company since most of the other books are races living on the fringes. 

I believe everything else is standard.  I borrowed the 5E character sheet from the one offered on the system forum, I think it has everything based on my review, but let me know if I’m missing something and I’ll update.  I’ve listed a Family Info section to list any living family you may have and any info you want to offer on them as I like to wrap up the characters into the RP with as many ties as I can, which means sometimes pulling in family and friends.  It’s purely optional but as a DM I like to put it out there just because of my DM style.

Picture avatars should be art, drawn or digital, but no AI art please.  This is a personal preference and a hard line for me.  Personality can simply be a few key words or a description as you prefer, nothing to worry over as I’m sure it will come out in RPing.  And the more Backstory you give me the more I can work with so at least a paragraph or two if you can manage.  Like I said, I love to extend ties that will make things more personal to characters and players.

I think that covers most things but I’m probably forgetting something so just let me know if you have any questions or clarifications needed.  And you can either just drop the character sheet here or PM me.  I’m leaning towards 5 or 6 players max and it will not be a first come, I’ll be reading over sheets and then approving so we have a good mix.

Code ("Character Sheet") Select
[float=right][center][img height=300]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Portrait_Placeholder.png[/img][/float]
Name:
Player:
Character Age:
Personality
Backstory
Family Information
…..
RACE        ................                CLASS/LEVEL  ............... / ..
ESSENCE: ……………                            BACKGROUND: …………….
BACKGROUND(cont.)  ................                  ALIGNMENT  ....................

score  mod.    save                        score  mod.    save
 CHARISMA    {..}    [..]    (..)            CONSTITUTION {..}    [..]    (..)
 DEXTERITY    {..}    [..]    (..)            INTELLIGENCE {..}    [..]    (..)
 STRENGTH    {..}    [..]    (..)            WISDOM      {..}    [..]    (..)

ARMOR CLASS [..]      SPEED  [..]      INITIATIVE [..]      PROFICIENCY [..]
 HIT POINTS:          -maximum [..]        -current [..]        -temporary [..]
 DEATH SAVES:      -successes[./3]      -failures [./3]        HIT DIE [d..+.]

[-] ... ACROBATICS (Dex)                        [-] ... MEDICINE (Wis)
 [-] ... ANIMAL HANDLING (Wis)                    [-] ... NATURE (Int)
 [-] ... ARCANA (Int)                            [-] ... PERCEPTION (Wis)
 [-] ... ATHLETICS (Str)                          [-] ... PERFORMANCE (Cha)
 [-] ... DECEPTION (Cha)                          [-] ... PERSUASION (Cha)
 [-] ... HISTORY (Int)                            [-] ... RELIGION (Int)
 [-] ... INSIGHT (Wis)                            [-] ... SLEIGHT OF HAND (Dex)
 [-] ... INTIMIDATION (Cha)                      [-] ... STEALTH (Dex)
 [-] ... INVESTIGATION (Int)                      [-] ... SURVIVAL (Wis)

weapon/power    bonus    damage    damage type            notes
 ................  [+..]  [.d..+.]  .............  .........................

RACE / CLASS / ESSENCE / BACKGROUND FEATURES
  feature                        notes                                source
  .......  ........................................................ race
  .......  ........................................................ class
  .......  ........................................................ background
  .......  ........................................................ essence

SPELL DC [..]  CASTING BONUS [..]    SPELL ABILITY [...]    SPELL LEVEL [.]

SPELL  {1}    {2}    {3}    {4}    {5}    {6}    {7}    {8}    {9}
 SLOTS:  ./.    ./.    ./.    ./.    ./.    ./.    ./.    ./.    ./.

SPELLS KNOWN
  lvl.      name      target  range  duration              effect
  {0}    ..........  ......  .....  ........  .............................
  {1}    ..........  ......  .....  ........  .............................
  {2}    ..........  ......  .....  ........  .............................
  {3}    ..........  ......  .....  ........  .............................
  {4}    ..........  ......  .....  ........  .............................
  {5}    ..........  ......  .....  ........  .............................
  {6}    ..........  ......  .....  ........  .............................
  {7}    ..........  ......  .....  ........  .............................
  {8}    ..........  ......  .....  ........  .............................
  {9}    ..........  ......  .....  ........  .............................

EQUIPMENT

.. platinum pieces  .. gold pieces  .. silver pieces  .. brass pieces

LANGUAGES
  common, ...

NOTES

shengami

Smacks his flag down hard. Harder than hard. 5e IKRPG! Yesyesyes.

OK, I read the actual prompt. *calms down*

I've acquirede... most... of the books from the Kickstarter and never got a chance to play due a big move that tore me away from my gaming group. I'd be happy to play and to be newbie friendly. That said, I know the setting somewhat well. I have not kept up with the most recent arcs, at all, but know anything prior to and up through the Reaping, or whatever it was called.
Am I on the hunt for a story? - Not especially...
O/os
My General LFGs
Canon LFGs
My Poetry Thread

Kakihara

Quote from: shengami on January 08, 2024, 08:10:00 PMSmacks his flag down hard. Harder than hard. 5e IKRPG! Yesyesyes.

OK, I read the actual prompt. *calms down*

I've acquirede... most... of the books from the Kickstarter and never got a chance to play due a big move that tore me away from my gaming group. I'd be happy to play and to be newbie friendly. That said, I know the setting somewhat well. I have not kept up with the most recent arcs, at all, but know anything prior to and up through the Reaping, or whatever it was called.
Yeah, I backed both the main Requiem Kickstarter and the Borderlands one, back when I was still big on using Kickstarter, but gave up after that and just have acquired individually the Nightmare Empire one.  I've not gotten my gaming group interested in it but I've played the 3.5 edition and even the stand alone one with other groups, DMing them.  So quite intrigued to try the 5E edition as do love the setting but have had to stick with my own world for my current groups D&D sessions.

Hexed

hadn't realized Iron Kingdom came in 5e. Or I'm misremembering. :D

Will have to do some digging and see if I have the right books.

shengami

It was initially designed as a 3.5 campaign setting in teh same competition that Keith Bakker won with Eberron. The guys who designed liked it so much, they started their own company, Privateer Press, and released it under the OGL. The 3.5 version was 1e. For 2e, they designed their own system using their Tabletop Wargame system as the base. It was a bit unbalanced, Warcasters/Warlocks were way overpowered. About four years ago they designed a 5e version. I kickstarted the base set, borderlands, and nightmare emprie.

I've run 2e IKRPG a few times, including as part of a Trollblum Scrum group, and played the wargame for mayn years up until 4e of the wargame when I left due to not having a playgroup anymore.

I'll be super excited to see what is done with this and have an opportunity to take a crack at it.

Didn't know you knew IKRPG, Vexed! It's been in my canon search thread for a while now.
O/os
My General LFGs
Canon LFGs
My Poetry Thread

Sarah Morgan

I'd be interested in this as well, though I don't know anything about the setting.  I've played regular 5E D&D pretty much weekly online for several years now though, so know how the system works, unless this setting has rules I might not know about.  I'm definitely interested to hear more details.

Hexed

Quote from: shengami on January 08, 2024, 10:48:15 PMIt was initially designed as a 3.5 campaign setting in teh same competition that Keith Bakker won with Eberron. The guys who designed liked it so much, they started their own company, Privateer Press, and released it under the OGL. The 3.5 version was 1e. For 2e, they designed their own system using their Tabletop Wargame system as the base. It was a bit unbalanced, Warcasters/Warlocks were way overpowered. About four years ago they designed a 5e version. I kickstarted the base set, borderlands, and nightmare emprie.

I've run 2e IKRPG a few times, including as part of a Trollblum Scrum group, and played the wargame for mayn years up until 4e of the wargame when I left due to not having a playgroup anymore.

I'll be super excited to see what is done with this and have an opportunity to take a crack at it.

Didn't know you knew IKRPG, Vexed! It's been in my canon search thread for a while now.
That would explain it then. I've had the 3.5 books at one point and read through a number of times. Though like all my books that I don't use they eventually were traded for other books. Rather interesting to see they went with 5e instead of the other options.

Never played a bit of it though. :D

shengami

Quote from: Hexed on January 09, 2024, 05:38:38 AMThat would explain it then. I've had the 3.5 books at one point and read through a number of times. Though like all my books that I don't use they eventually were traded for other books. Rather interesting to see they went with 5e instead of the other options.

Never played a bit of it though. :D

Ah, 5e is a juggernaut and the designer in charge of the project was a 5e fan. The setting also had its roots in D&D. Guess there was a sort of appropriateness to the choice. This was also a few years back before Wizards flirted with OGL 2. Oofdah.

I will say that the 5e port does do some weird things to the setting as it is not a perfect fit for the world lore in places.

I think it also uses a fairly unique 'background' like structure. Forget exactly. I'll fish out my PDFs is the interest breath life to game.
O/os
My General LFGs
Canon LFGs
My Poetry Thread

Pumpkin Seeds

I have most of these books. Had the TTRPG ones that were non 5e as well and loved them so would be very happy to try my hand at this version as well.

Revelation

Interested. I own Requiem and a hodgepodge of the other 5e adjacent books and the setting has always been neat.

Kakihara

Quote from: Hexed on January 08, 2024, 10:28:43 PMhadn't realized Iron Kingdom came in 5e. Or I'm misremembering. :D

Will have to do some digging and see if I have the right books.
Yeah there's actually three different editions, 3.5, their own stand alone and then recently what they are calling their IK Requiem game which is using the 5E rules.  It is a fairly newer edition.

Quote from: Sarah Morgan on January 08, 2024, 10:59:02 PMI'd be interested in this as well, though I don't know anything about the setting.  I've played regular 5E D&D pretty much weekly online for several years now though, so know how the system works, unless this setting has rules I might not know about.  I'm definitely interested to hear more details.
Nice.  Knowledge of the Iron Kingdoms isn't necessary, I'm going to make the needed info, like Racial Traits, available if/when I start recruiting.  And they have an extensive wiki people can use if they want to for more info on the races and cultures.

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on January 09, 2024, 05:57:27 AMI have most of these books. Had the TTRPG ones that were non 5e as well and loved them so would be very happy to try my hand at this version as well.
Their own system one was interesting, though I found the built in dual class a bit weird, and was kind of sad they never really got far with it, only produced like the core book and two or three supplements and an adventure, before the moved into the... I think it was called Unleashed with all the monster races and detailing the outlands and such, never picked them up.

Quote from: Revelation on January 09, 2024, 09:38:39 AMInterested. I own Requiem and a hodgepodge of the other 5e adjacent books and the setting has always been neat.
Nice.  Yeah I always found the setting unique, not your standard steampunk, maybe because it's built off the Warmachine miniatures lore.

Angie

I'm interested enough to ask about the Requiem ruleset, I haven't heard of this before. Is it completely different rules or just add ons for what 5e has? Google is not helping or maybe I don't know where to look. And I'll admit I'm a sucker for good steampunk so I'm very willing to learn.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Kakihara

Quote from: Angie on January 09, 2024, 03:26:25 PMI'm interested enough to ask about the Requiem ruleset, I haven't heard of this before. Is it completely different rules or just add ons for what 5e has? Google is not helping or maybe I don't know where to look. And I'll admit I'm a sucker for good steampunk so I'm very willing to learn.
It's an add on.  They have their on racial options but beyond that it's like most others where it's just adding onto base 5e with more rules and options.  It's much like the old 3.5 edition.  They do have some optional rules like Essence but I'm probably going to avoid that for this to avoid confusing newbies to it since easier to just go with straight racial bonus.  Iron Kingdoms Requiem is what they decided to call the new 5e rulesets... still not sure why the Requiem, maybe I'm missing it in my reading. lol

Edit: Also adds in firearms!

Revelation

My guesstimate for the Requiem thing is that since it takes place after the invasion of the Infernals, it's a 'requiem' for those who fell.

I could, and probably am, totally wrong.

Kakihara

Quote from: Revelation on January 09, 2024, 04:55:59 PMMy guesstimate for the Requiem thing is that since it takes place after the invasion of the Infernals, it's a 'requiem' for those who fell.

Hah, you may be right, I guess I was expecting that action movie line drop where you are like they said the name of the movie!  They probably said in the Kickstarter write up too but I just saw Iron Kingdoms and bought in.  I thought it weird they needed an add on considering the last two books just were called Iron Kingdoms.  guess to differentiate it.

shengami

Quote from: Revelation on January 09, 2024, 04:55:59 PMMy guesstimate for the Requiem thing is that since it takes place after the invasion of the Infernals, it's a 'requiem' for those who fell.

That's my guess as well as the 5e version was set post-apocalypse, basically. Lore-wise.
O/os
My General LFGs
Canon LFGs
My Poetry Thread

Angie

I may need some help putting a character together as I lack access to the Requiem ruleset, but hey, guns are fun.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

shengami

Quote from: Angie on January 09, 2024, 05:55:24 PMI may need some help putting a character together as I lack access to the Requiem ruleset, but hey, guns are fun.
I'm sure there'll be plenty of help Angie.

Guns are neat. Guns that shoot magic are neater. Guns that shoot magical electricity are super neat.
O/os
My General LFGs
Canon LFGs
My Poetry Thread

Marie Reynolds

I would be interested in giving this a shot. I have played the war miniatures game since Mk I and into Mark II. I have been in  two  short lived games of the original rpg for Iron kingdoms. I have purchased the Campaign setting book for  Iron Kingdoms Requiem  and I am currently reading through lore.

shengami

I will, as usual for me, ask if anyone wants to make paired characters!? I don't get to do it as often as I'd like on E. A married couple, siblings, best friends, frenemies/rivals, whatever. It's just fun to brain storm together. Open to any connections people want to establish should I be so lucky as to see this game start up and get to play.
O/os
My General LFGs
Canon LFGs
My Poetry Thread

Timeless

-plants interest flag-

>->;; I never played DnD before, but would like try, either way.. If you'll have me. Ah hem.

Quote from: shengami on January 09, 2024, 07:33:52 PMI will, as usual for me, ask if anyone wants to make paired characters!? I don't get to do it as often as I'd like on E. A married couple, siblings, best friends, frenemies/rivals, whatever. It's just fun to brain storm together. Open to any connections people want to establish should I be so lucky as to see this game start up and get to play.

-raise a hand- I am thinking something like friends, but frenemies would be interesting. Basically, a humorous banter between friends who like to mess with each other would be cool. I'm also down with siblings, but however, I have to admit that I'm going to enter into this as a total newb.

Hexed

Always fun to learn systems. :D

The Gun Mage is Requiems theme fitting version of the standard warlock it seems but... it seems like the massive bullet focus lost all the utility a warlock could have? I'll admit I've not really looked through the other classes yet but is the focus on pure combat standard to the Iron Kingdom stuff?

shengami

Quote from: Hexed on January 10, 2024, 05:52:22 AMAlways fun to learn systems. :D
The Gun Mage is Requiems theme fitting version of the standard warlock it seems but... it seems like the massive bullet focus lost all the utility a warlock could have? I'll admit I've not really looked through the other classes yet but is the focus on pure combat standard to the Iron Kingdom stuff?
Gun Mage should not be a warlock substitute. It should be its own unique class. They use magic to inscribe rune ammunition that they fire using magictech guns.

Making deal with outside forces is a biiiiig nono in the setting. Super big. Like, auto-villain levels of big.

Quote from: Timeless on January 10, 2024, 05:41:40 AM-plants interest flag-

>->;; I never played DnD before, but would like try, either way.. If you'll have me. Ah hem.

-raise a hand- I am thinking something like friends, but frenemies would be interesting. Basically, a humorous banter between friends who like to mess with each other would be cool. I'm also down with siblings, but however, I have to admit that I'm going to enter into this as a total newb.

It's all good. Brainstorming is part of the fun. And Kakihara said he wanted to make it newbie friendly. Happy to shoot PMs back and forth or chat on Discord. Hit me up. Some ideas will be moderately lore dependent. Depending on what timeline the GM will be using.
O/os
My General LFGs
Canon LFGs
My Poetry Thread

Hexed

Let me rephrase that then. :)

Gun mage has very similar mechanics to warlock even if the fluff is different. But for the mechanical similarities they stripped out anything approaching utility or noncombatant 

Unless rune tools are that big a deal?

shengami

Quote from: Hexed on January 10, 2024, 06:53:17 AMLet me rephrase that then. :)
Gun mage has very similar mechanics to warlock even if the fluff is different. But for the mechanical similarities they stripped out anything approaching utility or noncombatant
Unless rune tools are that big a deal?
Nooope.

Haha. It's a military class. I haven't looked too closely at it or what skills and non-mage abilities it gets. But the rune shots are all combat oriented and they don't get any other magic. In their lore, they tend to be scouts and spies and agent types.
O/os
My General LFGs
Canon LFGs
My Poetry Thread