OSRIC RPG: AD&D 1st Edition Clone [rating tbd]

Started by RubySlippers, January 24, 2018, 03:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

The rules are free here, you need them to play, but the PDF is free and is the whole basic game.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/stewart-marshall/osric-a5-pdf/ebook/product-20697767.html

The game will take place starting in the Kingdom of Morskar ,original setting, in the town of Five Towers and it happens to be near lots of other races and a major trading center being right dead in the middle of the Kingdom and prosperous. It so happens your all locals and friends and are meeting at The Rusty Blade Tavern to plan to go off adventuring like a bunch of fools and try to make your fortunes.

Expect fun, excitement, old school conventions, tropes and okay the arts of drinking, gambling, wenching and other things you could never do protected by your parents.

Character creation is simple I need a basic sheet the abilities you roll 4d6 dropping the lowest die (no re-rolling 1's) and place them as you wish. You get maximum gold, Maximum hit points. Start at 1st Level. And will get a choice of one magic item:
Any +1 (+3 vs. Creature Type Approved by GM) Weapon
Any +2 Armor (not elven chain)
Elven Chain +1 (elves and half elf assassins/thieves only [or multiclass as one])
Bracers AC +4 (if you can't wear armor as a character)
Bag of Holding Type 2
Winged Boots
Cape of the Mountebank
These are heirloom items you get them from someone who gave a crap about you enough to hand over magic items, you cannot sell them or trade them and will always prefer them over other items of the same type and slot so your weapon even if you find a better one you will prefer the one you have.

I'd like no evil characters if there is a Paladin in the group but well its a case of you need to get along, not screw each other over in a bad way you can decide this and party balance matters.

I'm looking for five players.

Whose game?

Magic items other than potions will be less common in my game so getting even these is super special and well if you get wind of say a powerful flaming sword its likely in the hands of someone scary, in a treasure hoard as a major item of a quest or other case of its damned hard to find one. I'm not saying you won't get magic items +1 weapons are not that rare just ones with special powers are.

Green Goo Theory

Interested and bookmarking thread.  Will throw out more when I get home from work.
Coming soon...

sullivanthedreadlord

sounds interesting. So basically a group of people decide to try their luck as adventurers?
I walk in the light for ever bathed in its glory, and yet my heart yearns to be consumed by the darkness hidden with in my soul

My O/O Page

RubySlippers

Tropes are fun, that is why every town has the go to find adventure tavern, with the quest board and figures with quests in my game.  ;D

sullivanthedreadlord

I'm downloading the pdf right now. Ill look it over once its done. So what sorts of jobs are we looking at?
I walk in the light for ever bathed in its glory, and yet my heart yearns to be consumed by the darkness hidden with in my soul

My O/O Page

RubySlippers

1st level how about going to an ancient dragon lair to kill a dragon?  :D

Seriously guarding caravans, getting spell components for the local wizards of the five towers, killing some odd threats to small for the kingdom to send anyone good and so forth.

sullivanthedreadlord

Is there a specific way you want the character sheet set up?

My O/O Page

RubySlippers

If you come up with one, post it for everyone but keep it simple.

sullivanthedreadlord

Like this?

Name:
Race:
Dex:
Con:
Wis:
Int:
Cha:
HP
AC
Saves
Fort:
Ref:
Wil:

Inventory:

Background info

My O/O Page

RubySlippers

Well since the saves are old school and classes and levels and xp aren't there its not ideal.  :P

sullivanthedreadlord

How about this then

Name:
Race:
XP:
Saves:
Aimed Magic Items:
Breath Weapons:
Death, Paralysis, Poison:
Petrifaction, Polymorph:
Spells:
Str:
Dex:
Con:
Wis:
Int:
Cha:
HP
AC
Saves
Fort:
Ref:
Wil:

Inventory:

Background info

My O/O Page

RubySlippers

There you go:

Name:
Race:
XP:
Faith:
Alignment:

Racial Abilities:

Saving Throws:
Aimed Magic Items:
Breath Weapons:
Death, Paralysis, Poison:
Petrifaction, Polymorph:
Spells:

ABILITY SCORES:
Strength:
Dexterity:
Contitution:
Intelligence:
Wisdom:
Charisma:

Class Abilities:

HP
AC

Weapon Proficiencies [insert number of proficiencies here]:

Inventory:

Wealth:

Magic Items:

Background Info [bullet points and short bits are fine]

RubySlippers

FAITHS
The Old Path (druids, rangers, farmers and herdsman, woodsman, sustainable living)
The One (god of good and right, civilization and trade)
The Two Faced Shadow (god of magic, goddess of the moon - hermaphroditic persona)
The Weaver (goddess of illusion and a deity of fate)
Old Bones (god of the dead, is LN but has some paladins in his service dedicated to hunting the undead)
The Thousand Dark Ones (gods and goddesses of evil)
The Sea God (sea, sailors, pirates and other people who live by he sea - not locally worshipped)
The Happy Hairfoot (goddess of the halflings, thieves in general of non-evil nature)
The Stone God (deity of the dwarves)
The Hill Goddess (deity of the gnomes)
The Elder Spirits (gods and goddess place and nature spirits of the elves)
The Wanderer (god of the half-orcs)
The Grand Whore (patron of whores, shadowy merchants, organized thieves, peasants and common people and alcohol - Neutral and popular)

Foxy DeVille

Do want in. You had something like this before that I really liked.

sullivanthedreadlord

Name: Mia Suntree
Race: Elf
Class(es): Thief 1
XP:0
Faith: The Grand Whore
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral, “Free Spirit”:

• 90% resistance to sleep and charm spells
Any pulled bow: +1 to hit
Longsword and short sword: +1 to hit
Languages: Common, elven, gnoll, gnomish, goblin, halfling, hobgoblin, orcish.
Infravision: 60 ft
Detect secret doors: 1 in 6 chance to notice secret doors when passing within 10 ft, 2 in 6 chance to discover secret
doors when searching, and 3 in 6 chance to discover concealed doors when searching.
Surprise: 4 in 6 chance to surprise when travelling in non-metal armour and alone, or more than 90 ft in advance of others, or with a party entirely consisting of elves and/or halflings. If a door must be opened (or some similar task), the chance of surprise drops to 2 in 6.

Saves:
Aimed Magic Items: 14
Breath Weapons: 16
Death, Paralysis, Poison: 13
Petrifaction, Polymorph: 12
Spells: 15

ABILITY SCORES:
Strength: 15
Dexterity: 17  -3 to AC
Contitution: 11
Intelligence: 18
Wisdom: 9
Charisma: 12

Class Abilities:

Thief Class Abilities

Backstab: If the thief can approach his or her target unobserved and strike with a melee weapon, the attack is made at +4 to hit. Damage from a backstab is doubled—or trebled if the thief is of 5th level or higher. Thieves of 9th level or higher do quadruple damage, while those of 13th or greater level quintuple the number shown on the die. Damage modifiers (such as those pertaining to strength or magic) are not multiplied from a backstab.

Climb: Climbing represents a thief’s ability to scale sheer walls and surfaces, cling to ceilings, and perform other feats of climbing that would normally be impossible. Climbing checks must ordinarily be repeated for every ten ft of climbing. Non-thieves cannot climb walls, cliffs, or any vertical surface without the use of a rope or magic, making the presence of a thief vital to many adventuring parties.

Find Traps: This ability represents the thief’s minute visual inspection of a new area for tiny telltale signs that something of interest or danger may be concealed nearby. It requires a full turn (10 minutes) to accomplish.

Hide in Shadows: Some shadow must be present for this ability to be used, but if the check is successful the thief is effectively invisible until he makes an attack or moves from the shadows. The ability can also be used to blend in with a crowd of people rather than disappear into shadows.

Move Quietly: Use of this skill allows the thief to move with preternatural silence even over surfaces such as squeaky floors.

Open Locks/ Disarm Traps: Opening locks and disarming traps (without springing them) is a skill unique to thieves, which cannot be successfully attempted by members of other classes. A thief can also set traps (with the same chance as to disarm).

Pick Pockets: If the thief’s pick pockets check fails by 20% or more, then his or her attempt has been discovered and the intended victim will almost always take hostile action.

Read Languages: The thief may attempt to read languages and ciphers of a non-magical nature only.

Thieves’ Cant: Thieves have their own language.

HP 6
AC 3

Weapon Proficiencies [2 + 1 every 4 levels]: Long sword and Short Sword

Inventory:
Long Sword
small/ medium 1d8
Large 1d12

Backpack
Blanket, woolen
Chalk, piece

Wealth: 120gp

Magic Items:

Bracers AC +4
Background Info

Always on the look out for more coin to be made.
Loves living a life of constant adventure.
Dislikes staying in one place for too long.

My O/O Page

RubySlippers

ONE magic item, one, I forgot alignment put Alignment: CN but looks good overall so far.  ;D

And proficiencies are slots you don't get them all for example: Long Sword and Dagger are two weapons using two slots.

Read the character creation rules before continuing please.

sullivanthedreadlord

My O/O Page

RubySlippers

Yes these are specific weapons unless you use some to specialize if a fighter or ranger for example: Longsword and Short Sword are two weapons so two slots. You get two weapons that's how it works.

In your case a Longsword would not be a bad choice.

sullivanthedreadlord

Well I updated again. I went with thief since rogue is my go too and being an Elf I am not limited on character level.

My O/O Page

Chulanowa

Alright, I'm kind of interested. is there any sort of "escape hatch" for people who have terrible dice god luck and get a 3 or whatever? Or should they just put that into wisdom and chase butterflies off a cliff?  ;D

RubySlippers

We will allow you to take one 10 in one ability roll if below a 7.

And the Elf is a good choice for a Thief class character. Multiclassing isn't for everyone.

Chulanowa

...Actually got some really solid rolls.

113580   Noone or Anyone   2018-01-26 06:40:51   At 2018-01-26 06:40:51, Chula (uid: 27361) rolls: 4d6k3 Result: 15
113579   Noone or Anyone   2018-01-26 06:40:45   At 2018-01-26 06:40:45, Chula (uid: 27361) rolls: 4d6k3 Result: 17
113578   Noone or Anyone   2018-01-26 06:40:42   At 2018-01-26 06:40:42, Chula (uid: 27361) rolls: 4d6k3 Result: 8
113577   Noone or Anyone   2018-01-26 06:40:38   At 2018-01-26 06:40:38, Chula (uid: 27361) rolls: 4d6k3 Result: 14
113576   Noone or Anyone   2018-01-26 06:40:36   At 2018-01-26 06:40:36, Chula (uid: 27361) rolls: 4d6k3 Result: 16
113575   Noone or Anyone   2018-01-26 06:40:32   At 2018-01-26 06:40:32, Chula (uid: 27361) rolls: 4d6k3 Result: 11

Will mull over what I wanna make later. Was thinking a smol of some sort.

RubySlippers

See you worried for nothing. Thief is taken by the way so we need other slots filled that is fighter sort, a wizard sort and a cleric sort and well multiclassing is fine with a thief and one of these. Just cover the basics in there.

sullivanthedreadlord

The only thing i have trouble with in First edition is the to hit table. Im really used to pathfinder and 5e style of tho hit and AC. I just know that with this edition the lower your AC the better.

My O/O Page

RubySlippers

Of course lower the better, the rules I'm using puts this on an easy to read chart for each class.

sullivanthedreadlord

Cool. I am looking forward to when this starts. How is combat going to be handled?

My O/O Page

RubySlippers

Well it depends I have the your heroes and the local bar drunks aren't they lose but you get XP for style points.

Then serious fighting then you will roll your attacks and damage, or do your spell and roll damage and I'll see how you did if there are saves to be made on my end.

Once you get better the case of the first going to those with combat skills goes up for example a couple low hit die muscle against you all else being equals favors the heroes, if they pick a fight to start. Its like the Four Musketeers in the movies they might be brave if its two or more to one but one on one most opponents will tend to avoid the fighting. Of course big bad henchmen and villains and mindless undead are another matter.

Oh and all heroes have a hit point counter on their left forearms and quests can be found by looking for the Quest Arrows over key people and the Board of Quests in each towns 'adventuring tavern'. Also all serving wenches my have a Cha of 12+ and a Breast Cup Size C or more. Did I mention this isn't the most serious game in spots?  ;D

Foxy DeVille

Let's see how this works for ya...
Name: Shurr-Snaga
Race: Half-Orc
Class(es): Cleric/Fighter
XP: 0/0
Faith: The Wanderer, also pays homage to the Grand Whore
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Racial Abilities:
Languages: Common, Dwarfish, Goblin, Orcish
Infravision: 60 ft

Saving Throws:
Aimed Magic Items: 14
Breath Weapons: 16
Death, Paralysis, Poison: 10
Petrifaction, Polymorph: 13
Spells: 15

ABILITY SCORES:
Strength: 17
Dexterity: 13
Constitution: 16
Intelligence: 11
Wisdom: 14
Charisma: 12

Class Abilities:

Cleric
Spell Casting: Bless, Command, Cure Light Wounds
Turning Undead

Fighter
Bonus Attacks
Fighting the Unskilled
Weapon Specialization: Bastard Sword
Double Specialization: Bastard Sword

HP 11
AC 3

Weapon Proficiencies [4 + 1 every 2 levels]: Bastard Sword (double specialization), Hand Axe

Inventory:
Holy Symbol, Pewter
Hand Axe (x2)
Banded Mail
Shield, Large

Wealth: 87 gp

Magic Items:
Manslaughter (Bastard Sword +1, +3 vs Humans)

Background Info:
Shurr-Snaga knows nothing of her parentage, all her memories of childhood consist of being a cruelly treated slave of an orc tribe. When the tribe as attacked by adventurers, Shurr-Snaga managed to run off with the chieftain's magic sword and leave him defenseless. She followed the adventurers back to civilization. Shurr-Snaga initially found work cleaning in a brothel until she became old and imposing enough to become a bouncer. She really really like her job but desires more money to acquire things that a proper lady would have and to lavish gifts upon a half-elven dominatrix she is smitten with. 

RubySlippers

Oops note class level next to each class yo folks have for example Cleric 1/Fighter 1.

And note for weapons the weapon statistics including all the relevant attack and damage modifiers that apply to keep things easy for me, note damage is split S-M creatures and L creatures.

And I'll allow the Human weapon bonus if it only applies to [Evil Humans] your supposed to be heroes even if a fleeting CN one.

Chulanowa

Had my time tied up lately. Will work on an idea tonight!

sullivanthedreadlord

what are Weapon Proficiencies and can you only select the same weapon once and what do they do besides let you use a weapon with out a penalty?

My O/O Page

RubySlippers

They are listed under your classes, normally the race determines any special rules, but you get one weapon per proficiency slot and its per version. For example if you are an elf and want to take Long Sword, Short Sword and Dagger its three proficiencies. A Composite Short Bow and Short Bow are two proficiencies. If your a Fighter or Ranger you can specialize in a weapon as well.

And that's about it you can use the given weapon without a penalty unless you specialize or double specialize then you get more attacks and boost to hit and damage.

sullivanthedreadlord

so i can put all my proficiency in longsword and it will be a x2. what does that mean for being able to hit? I have no idea what my to hit bonus is.

My O/O Page

RubySlippers

Fighter or Rangers only, if I allow weapon specialization for those classes and I do. For a thief you can just learn to use two separate weapons since your an elf Long Sword or Short Sword would be a good choice for one of them and then add Dagger to start.

Your hit bonus is +0 for melee weapons but any ranged weapons its +1 off your base ability scores but as an elf you get a bonus with Long Sword, Short Sword and all pulled bows if trained in them or not of +1, your class can't learn any kind of bow as long as your only a Thief. They are assumed sneaky city or town types using discrete weapons not useful at long range generally bows don't fit them but a sling does being highly portable.

sullivanthedreadlord

with my sneak attack or back stab I'm better off using a better weapon since it multiplies the damage of the dice instead of adding like sneak damage dice like it does it does in later versions of D&D and pathfinder. So I should sneak with a long sword or a short sword but I'm going for a long sword for damage. I may just get a short sword later just to have a backup weapon. So I am going to guess and say that my over all bonus with a Long Sword is a +1 then.

My O/O Page

RubySlippers

Yes. But well Backstab in these rules only demands surprise so its easier in the original rules you needed to attack via the 'back' to get the multiplier. And yes a mighty +1 to attack until you get stronger (good luck) or get a magical weapon to help. But your not the fighter its fine your the sneaky bastard who can do the subtle work every group needs one.  ;D

sullivanthedreadlord

So I'm in a bar... I want to steal that mans wallet to pay for drinks.

My O/O Page

RubySlippers

Or seduce him, take him in back, knee him in the testicular fortitude with authority and take their coin purse.  >:)

Your average human has 4 hit points so you hit for double damage unarmed its 1d3 Damage x 2 (non-lethal) so a good chance he will be on the ground unconscious for a little while.

Chulanowa

I'm gonna be going with a gnome Illusionist, possibly mixed with fighter or thief (just to have something to do beyond level 5.)

RubySlippers

Well it will give enough people for me to run this, and gnomes can be fun. ^_^

Thief would be a good choice adding in the might of illusionary magic.

Chulanowa

She's still a work in progress, as I figure out just what I want her to look like, but aside from that...

Name: Fnicket Tiffwilliker
Race: Gnome
Class(es): Illusionist 1 / Thief 1
XP: Illusionist: 0/2,500 | Thief: 0/1,250
Faith: Observes the Hill Goddess's holidays with family, but keeps a little fold-out shrine to the Two-Faced Shadow.
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Racial Abilities:
+1 bonus per 3.5 points of con to saves vs. magic and poison (+4 total)
+1 to hit vs. goblins and kobolds
-4 to attacks rolls by bugbears, giants, gnolls, ogres, ogre magi, titans and trolls
Infravision 60'
Detect the existence of...
...slopes or grades: 80%
...unsafe floors, walls, or ceilings: 70%
...depth underground: 60%
...direction of north when underground: 50%

Saving Throws:
Aimed Magic Items: 11
Breath Weapons: 15
Death, Paralysis, Poison: 13
Petrify, Polymorph: 13
Spells: 12

ABILITY SCORES:
Strength: 8
Dexterity: 16 (+10% XP)
Contitution: 15
Intelligence: 17
Wisdom: 11
Charisma: 14

Class Abilities:
Backstab
Climb Walls: 65%
Find Trap: 25%
Hear Noise: 15%
Hide in Shadows: 20%
Move Quietly: 20%
Open Locks: 45%
Pick Pockets: 35%
Read Languages: 1%

HP 6/6
AC 6 (-2 for leather armor, -2 for Dexterity)

Weapon Proficiencies [insert number of proficiencies here]: 2 (-3 to-hit for nonproficiency)
Dagger
Sling

Inventory: TBD

Wealth: 120 GP

Magic Items: TBD

Background Info [bullet points and short bits are fine] Still working on this; I'm seeing her as a locksmith's daughter in some gnomish town whose skill with illusion magic - above the gnorm for gnomes (ahem) led to her joining up with a traveling circus... where her skill with pickpocketing, lockpicking, flimflammery, and evaluation of gems were as valuable as her ability to put on a show. Despite essentially being a carnies, she takes her magical studies quite seriously and has a deep occult bent that she tries to keep to herself. if you see a gnome dancing naked aroudn a blue fire painted with gold leaf sigils with twelve copies of herself, you've seen too much.

sullivanthedreadlord

My O/O Page

RubySlippers

Half-Orc > Cleric 1/ Fighter 1
Gnome > Illusionist 1/Thief 1
Elf > Thief 1

There you go the team supreme so far ... 

sullivanthedreadlord

Looks good. I guess we just don't have a ranged fighter or a Blasty mage?

My O/O Page

RubySlippers

Well magic users are not in categories they are all general practitioners but some lean to blasty magics. And the fighter can pick up ranged weapons later in fact I recommend a Composite Bow with a high pull so they can use the strength modifiers to damage with it. And Illusionists with Spectral Force and experience can still be a power on the battlefield if one gets creative with them.

Note to the gnome I want you to list in game what monsters and spell effects you have seen and experienced and how often so I can determine how good they are for saving throws and the like if you met and fought orcs say ten times you will do a decent orc or orcs in an illusion you have never seen a dragon of a given type good luck creating a realistic one.

RubySlippers

I'll be setting up the threads for the game on Monday.

sullivanthedreadlord

My O/O Page

RubySlippers