Xbox One Vs PS4 - Next Gen gaming

Started by Moraline, May 21, 2013, 03:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: chaoslord29 on May 24, 2013, 10:01:16 AM
Oh, they'll probably be record sales and all that. If only because the majority of consumers aren't savvy enough to know exactly how they're being let-down, ripped-off, taken advantage of by Microsoft and this product, and then the rest of the market share will fall in line because they don't want to be left out from playing the same games on the same system as their friends.

Just think about all the kids who will be getting X-Box ones from their parents, because their parents (who know nothing about console games/gaming/drm/etc) have been sold on the idea that it's what all the kids want for their birthday/Christmas/etc.  And once those kids have them, they'll play whatever games are marketed to them and their parents as the most popular, because nobody wants to be left out, when the coolest kid in the neighborhood has an X-Box One and a CoD IX, regardless of anything else.

All the same applies for the PS4 and both game system's communities suffer for it, despite all the individuals who don't fall in that category but are none the less a minority.

In short, long live PC Gaming!
I know, but come on what's the point of all the video game playing kids growing up if thehey aren't going to teach their kids about when they're being yanked around. :|
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

chaoslord29

Quote from: Inkidu on May 24, 2013, 10:09:27 AM
I know, but come on what's the point of all the video game playing kids growing up if thehey aren't going to teach their kids about when they're being yanked around. :|

Not a bad point haha. I suppose we can have hope for the future, once we grow up and make the choice not to put up with Microsoft's (or Sony's) bullshit when buying consoles for our kids. So the generation 12 Consoles Wars should be between only the best ever!
My Guiding Light-
'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'- Lord Havelock Vetinari
My ideas and O/Os:Darker Tastes and Tales

Moraline

I'm really curious about the price. I would expect a new console to have a large price on it but then you toss in a $100 Kinect onto that price tag (because they can't be sold separately) and then what is the price going to look like?

How will it compare to whatever the PS4 price tag is going to look like?

(At the prices that I suspect they will be, I'll just buy a new computer instead - it does more.)

chaoslord29

Quote from: Moraline on May 24, 2013, 10:20:21 AM
I'm really curious about the price. I would expect a new console to have a large price on it but then you toss in a $100 Kinect onto that price tag (because they can't be sold separately) and then what is the price going to look like?

How will it compare to whatever the PS4 price tag is going to look like?

(At the prices that I suspect they will be, I'll just buy a new computer instead - it does more.)

Price is generally the only thing working in favor of the consoles vs PCs. Especially if they could get their added TV and Web Browsing functionality off the ground (not likely XD). Of course, if that X-Box One is going to run me $400-$600, I could readily build myself an equally if not more powerful desktop with the added utility that it would be, you know, a PC. Hell, I can even set it up to display on my TV and enjoy from there.

Granted, last time I upgraded my system, I didn't buy a Desktop, I dropped nearly a thousand dollars on a top of the line ASUS Laptop, and still am perfectly comfortable with the decision haha.
My Guiding Light-
'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'- Lord Havelock Vetinari

Inkidu

Yeah, it's easy to drop 15 hundred or 2K on a really good gaming laptop. Though, there's been a real slowdown in graphical power all around so I don't see a whole lot of upgrading in the future of PCs, at least where graphics are concerned (again barring some kind of magical breakthrough, geniuses stop being geniuses).
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

chaoslord29

Quote from: Inkidu on May 24, 2013, 10:41:50 AM
Yeah, it's easy to drop 15 hundred or 2K on a really good gaming laptop. Though, there's been a real slowdown in graphical power all around so I don't see a whole lot of upgrading in the future of PCs, at least where graphics are concerned (again barring some kind of magical breakthrough, geniuses stop being geniuses).

Is that a dropoff in raw graphical power that gaming systems can get around though?

I mean, the biggest problem isn't one of hardware or processing power as I see it, it's the diminishing returns one sees in graphical displays themselves. Behold!
My Guiding Light-

Inkidu

Quote from: chaoslord29 on May 24, 2013, 10:46:33 AM
Is that a dropoff in raw graphical power that gaming systems can get around though?

I mean, the biggest problem isn't one of hardware or processing power as I see it, it's the diminishing returns one sees in graphical displays themselves. Behold!

That's my point. The cost-to-graphical fidelity ratio is leveling out. So a PC user might have one or two more graphical upgrades to make. :\
I see the focus shifting to doing more with the same graphics so processing demands might go up, but that's been in the PC corner from day one.

We're surely headed for some kind of singularity.

Also, the second time that pictures been used in this thread.

Moraline

Graphics are only a minor part of the package. Controlled movement, clean animations, and advanced artificial intelligence are what the computing power is really needed for.

chaoslord29

Haha, glad I could relevant repost and strike a blow for the PC!

Now, let us derail completely and discuss the singularity!  >:)

Quote from: Moraline on May 24, 2013, 11:35:04 AM
Graphics are only a minor part of the package. Controlled movement, clean animations, and advanced artificial intelligence are what the computing power is really needed for.

Care to weigh in on whether you see Consoles or PCs having the advantage in any of those counts?
My Guiding Light-

Inkidu

Quote from: chaoslord29 on May 24, 2013, 11:36:17 AM
Haha, glad I could relevant repost and strike a blow for the PC!

Now, let us derail completely and discuss the singularity!  >:)

Care to weigh in on whether you see Consoles or PCs having the advantage in any of those counts?
Stop trying to make this a console v. PC fight. That way only lies thread locking if not worse. :\

Yes, we know that PCs can be really awesome and do stuff better than consoles, and this latest generation of consoles seems to be trying to kill their only advantages: Price and user-friendliness. That's the point, this thread is about new consoles. Just because one of them tries to drive many of its buyers into the PC market doesn't mean it suddenly becomes about console V. PC.

Though here's a dark little secret: Most people use PCs and not Macs, that means probably a vast majority of the time Microsoft fugging wins! DX

chaoslord29

Sorry about that, sometimes I get carried away.

I think you've more or less hit the nail on the head though. Zero, backwards compatibility, constant internet validation to prevent lending and possibly viable singleplayer gameplay, and the potential to monitor me 24/7?

Why would I want to buy an X-Box? Are their some terribly compelling console specific game titles I'm not thinking of?
My Guiding Light-

Inkidu

Quote from: chaoslord29 on May 24, 2013, 12:02:12 PM
Sorry about that, sometimes I get carried away.

I think you've more or less hit the nail on the head though. Zero, backwards compatibility, constant internet validation to prevent lending and possibly viable singleplayer gameplay, and the potential to monitor me 24/7?

Why would I want to buy an X-Box? Are their some terribly compelling console specific game titles I'm not thinking of?
Nothing they're probably not going to also release on PC, ironically. :\

chaoslord29

Quote from: Inkidu on May 24, 2013, 12:03:52 PM
Nothing they're probably not going to also release on PC, ironically. :\

Oh right, cause as you pointed out, it's all got to be approved for Microsoft anyway ^_^

Of course, the real question is whether they'll still make the titles available for Steam . . . rather than solely on Microsoft for Windows or whatever else they'll use to try and force DRM down our throats.  That and of course there's nothing like a poor port to PC because you thought you'd make more money releasing for Console.
My Guiding Light-

Chris Brady

Quote from: chaoslord29 on May 24, 2013, 12:02:12 PM

This has me 'worried'.  I wonder how that's going to fly pass the Canadian privacy laws.  They're quite strict as opposed to the American ones.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

chaoslord29

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 24, 2013, 12:46:05 PM
This has me 'worried'.  I wonder how that's going to fly pass the Canadian privacy laws.  They're quite strict as opposed to the American ones.

I can only assume it's covered in the end-user license agreement for the X-Box; doubly so given whatever else you have to sign/agree to in order to create your x-box live account or what-have-you. Can't say for sure how it works in Canada, but assuming nobody sues Microsoft en-masse for actually utilizing the Kinect module as a surveillance tool, I figure it's one of those things they'll be able to do until they "get caught", as it were.

I envision the problem coming to a head when some sleaze-bag has the bright idea to use the x-box as a way of filming himself and another party in delicto flagrante without their knowledge and proceeds to post it to whatever the X-Box community video sharing services will be.
My Guiding Light-

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: chaoslord29 on May 24, 2013, 12:53:53 PM
I can only assume it's covered in the end-user license agreement for the X-Box; doubly so given whatever else you have to sign/agree to in order to create your x-box live account or what-have-you. Can't say for sure how it works in Canada, but assuming nobody sues Microsoft en-masse for actually utilizing the Kinect module as a surveillance tool, I figure it's one of those things they'll be able to do until they "get caught", as it were.

I envision the problem coming to a head when some sleaze-bag has the bright idea to use the x-box as a way of filming himself and another party in delicto flagrante without their knowledge and proceeds to post it to whatever the X-Box community video sharing services will be.

Well I don't know about Canada.. but here in the US.. the Microsoft Live EULA doesnt' allow the end users to engage in law suits. You're bound by the EULA to arbitrate.. with Microsoft's chosen arbitrators. By signing onto Microsoft Live, you've given away the right to sue them.

chaoslord29

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 24, 2013, 01:46:49 PM
Well I don't know about Canada.. but here in the US.. the Microsoft Live EULA doesnt' allow the end users to engage in law suits. You're bound by the EULA to arbitrate.. with Microsoft's chosen arbitrators. By signing onto Microsoft Live, you've given away the right to sue them.

Canada has arbitration as well, so I'm assuming it's basically the same. They may have stricter privacy laws and rights, but the ability to sign away those rights/protection under the law is still just as present.

Seriously though, fuck everything about EULA and arbitration.
My Guiding Light-

SinXAzgard21

No big brother in my home thank you.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

chaoslord29

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on May 24, 2013, 02:36:27 PM
No big brother in my home thank you.

Seriously though, that's basically what it's like. I mean, not to say that the camera and microphone will be recording all the time, that would surely take more computing and data storage capacity than anyone has, but the potential is there. Microsoft already has the voice command system set up, it could readily be adapted to pick up on keywords that would automatically activate the recording system, and of course, notify Microsoft. At which point, Microsoft is free to sell the data/recording to whoever they choose, and there's not a goddamn thing you can do about it.
My Guiding Light-

Inkidu

Quote from: chaoslord29 on May 24, 2013, 02:39:59 PM
Seriously though, that's basically what it's like. I mean, not to say that the camera and microphone will be recording all the time, that would surely take more computing and data storage capacity than anyone has, but the potential is there. Microsoft already has the voice command system set up, it could readily be adapted to pick up on keywords that would automatically activate the recording system, and of course, notify Microsoft. At which point, Microsoft is free to sell the data/recording to whoever they choose, and there's not a goddamn thing you can do about it.
That's kind f Orwellian, indeed.

I recommend covering your Xbox One with a towel or something when not in use. *nods*

chaoslord29

Quote from: Inkidu on May 24, 2013, 02:46:12 PM
That's kind f Orwellian, indeed.

I recommend covering your Xbox One with a towel or something when not in use. *nods*

Well you could always just turn it off haha. But yeah, the Kinect is on even in sleep mode.
My Guiding Light-

Inkidu

Microsoft probably doesn't have an off button for it. Just sleep and active. Do you think Microsoft wants you to turn their one system to rule them all off?

They don't... ever... #_#

chaoslord29

Quote from: Inkidu on May 24, 2013, 02:51:34 PM
Microsoft probably doesn't have an off button for it. Just sleep and active. Do you think Microsoft wants you to turn their one system to rule them all off?

They don't... ever... #_#

Wait, no power button? Is that legal? Better unplug it I guess, and then put up with the sign in process however often that is.

Seriously, more and more this is seeming like something between 1984 and
My Guiding Light-

Inkidu

Pretty much that. Though who knows what the PS4 will be like. They had the most abysmal launch last generation. They had the.  highest price with the worst starting library.

Although, I'm ready for the whole generation thing to die. I was hoping that the PS3, 360, Wii generation to be the last.

Moraline

Quote from: chaoslord29 on May 24, 2013, 11:36:17 AM
It's not good news for the Xbox or the PS4.

Xbox tech specs are based on the AMD low power Kabini processor and the AMD 7790 on chip integrated graphics card. Neither one of those are even remotely a match for either the current generation or the next generation of intel.

PC is far more powered then xbox console and by the time the XBOne is a year or two old it will be several generations out of date. Just like the current xbox was out of date before it was even shipped.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/156552-amds-last-and-only-hope-low-power-kabini-temash-are-ready-for-action