Exalted 2nd edition Looking for a group and Storyteller.

Started by Starfall Smiting Prince, August 09, 2010, 11:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hikari

The wait is over,
I'm now taking over
You're no longer laughing
I'm not drowning fast enough

-The Strokes, Reptilia

Brandon

did they ever make artifact equivalents of War fans? If so where can I find them? If not could I just use the fate wheel from Scroll of the monk except make it a fan?
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

The Great Triangle

According to the Weapons and Armor compendium, here's the stats of a soulsteel artifact war fan:

Artifact 2

Speed 5, Accuracy +5, Damage +2L, Defense +3, Rate 6, Min: Strength 1, Attune 6m, tags: M     (stats for a pair.  A single war fan is artifact 1, rate 3, and attune 3m)

Basically, it's a slower short daiklave which is better at defense, and slightly less efficient at damage
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Brandon

So then its 2 background dots for a pair of them right? If so that works out perfectly
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

The Great Triangle

That's correct.  :-)  They're pretty heavily optimized for death of a thousand cuts style fighting, which works quite well against dragon bloods and sidereals, though you won't be QUITE as good when fighting gods and solars/lunars.  (not that you'll be fighting celestial exalts very often, if at all)

Of course, you could also adopt a fighting style that simply relies on being able to touch the opponent to defeat them, usually with exotic martial arts techniques.  Then the effectiveness of your fighting style would depend mostly upon the immunities of your target

Ons and Offs

Brandon

This is a rough draft, and I may end up changing her weapons to Khatars. Unless we can rule that war fans work as form weapons for Abyssal hero style :P Also I havnt decided on her intimacies yet but most of them will likely be idealogical. I dunno, this is also my first abyssal so constructive critism is welcome

Name: Laughing Mask of despair
Sexual orientation: Homosexual
Caste: Midnight
Motivation: To spread her hedonistic religion till it causes the high standing merchants, nobles, and royalty of the world to implode
Intamacies: Lover Clad in the raiment of tears, The order of bliss, Idea: wealth and power should be used to bring happiness to normal people. Those that hoard it and use it for only their happiness without regard for others deserve to have it taken away

Description: While she once wore face paint to cover the physical and mental scars now the Mask’s skin has turned as pale as the moon. Still she often applies small dots of red along her eyes and lips to further accent fear in her persona. Having long black as night and blood stained hair she is a woman with peerless beauty, charm, and wit.

Her clothes often vary but normally the mask wears a stunning black Kimono with red trim which reveals her near perfect figure and a hint of cleavage. She almost always wears a white and red Kitsune mask over her face, the only time it is ever removed is when she wants a victim to see her gaze of despair and smile of pure glee.

Personality: Cryptic and creepy are the best words to describe the personality of the mask but only when its time for someone to die. More often she portrays herself as charming and witty with a silver tongue that could turn even the deathlords against their Neverborn masters.

Background: Around twenty years ago the petite and whimsical Nuriko was sold off to slavery by her father and mother in the small trade city of Meclete mostly out of a means to get rid of her and get ahead. She was to become a serving girl, maid, and entertainer for one of the more wealthy local merchants. While her job did entail all those things when she came of age the merchant also forced her to be a whore for himself and his guests.

Overtime shame and despair set in till there seemed to be no escape but rather then her mind splitting she began to deal with it in an odd way. When she was forced to endure the deep sorrow and despair of the life that was forced on her she began to smile and later on to laugh. When she could she wore thick white paint on her face, dotted with red to reflect a death masque. It was her own way of showing others that she no longer felt alive anymore.

Eventually the abuse grew even greater as the merchant and guests who once found her pleasing soon found her repulsive. No mere face paint could cover the bruises and scars inflicted upon her so one night she picked up a small mask of a Kitsune and put it on, never removing it again in public.

As fate would have it as she accompanied the merchant lord and his caravan of goods they ran into the Lover Clad himself. What the deathlord was doing on that road is, has always been, and may forever be a mystery to all but without a doubt the caravan and its people were destroyed. In the moment before her death Nuriko picked up a small knife and attacked, knowing she could not escape she chose to face the opponents herself. The Lover clad simply grabbed hold of her by the throat and forced her into the ground, slowly strangling her. Even in those moments she could help but smile and laugh at him but as her voice echoed eerily in the night the two of them talked in hushed whispers as well. Moments later she rose again with the symbol of the midnight caste on her forehead. The young woman called Nuriko had perished by the Lover Clad's hand but now the laughing mask of despair had exalted. Without a care she took the spoils from the merchant’s caravan and used them to build her own merchant empire

Since she began her service to the Deathlord she has spent considerable time in nearby villages, towns, and cities spreading her own theological message that pleasure is the highest form of good in life. Thus she has birthed a cult that calls itself the Order of bliss. Most of the time the order spends it days in long orgies of animalistic lust and recruits new members into the fold but should it be needed they have a variety of other uses as spies, saboteurs, and more. Most recently she has been assigned to the Lion, many think shes a spybut in truth shes recieved no such orders from her true master

Strength•••      Charisma •••      Perception••
Dexterity•••      Manipulation ••••   Intelligence••
Stamina•••      Appearance ••••   Wits•••

Abilities
Dusk                 Midnight                 Daybreak
Archery              |Integrity ••             |Crafts       
Martial Arts*•••   |Performance •••      |Investigation •
Melee                |Presence •••••        |Lore •
Thrown              |Resistance ••          |Medicine ••
War                    |Survival                |Occult •

Day         Moonshadow
Athletics*••      |Bureaucracy•
Awareness•      |Linguistics*•
Dodge*••••      |Ride
Larceny           |Sail:
Stealth            |Socialize*•••

*notes a favored ability

Backgrounds
Artifact ••
Cult ••
Resources ••••
Mentor ••

Virtues
Compassion••
Conviction•••
Temperance••
Valor••

(Permanent) Essence: 3

Personal: 14
Perphirial: 35
Commited:

Willpower 5
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                               War Gear

Weapon: Soulsteel Slayer Khatar Speed 5 Accuracy +0 Damage +2L Defense +3 Rate 3 Tags M
Armor:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                               Health
-0 (Bruised)  : []
-1 (Hurt)        : [][][]
-2 (Wounded) : [][][][][]
-4 (Crippled)   : [][][][][]
Incapacitated   : []
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                             Charms
Charms: (Be sure to include Cost, Duration and Effect)
Second Presence Excellency (2m per success)
Poisoning the will (10m 1wp)
Heartless fiend insinuation (2m)
Sanity Eroding Diatribe (5m 1 wp)

Morbid Fascination style (5m)

First Dodge Excellency (1m per bonus die)
Bonus: Flittering Shadow form (1m)
Bonus: Flickering wisp technique (3m)

Second Martial arts Excellency (2m per success)
Ravaging blow (2m)
Foe blinding Jab (3m)

Exquisite etiquette style (1m)

Combos
To Cripple the prey: Second martial arts excellency + Ravaging blow + Foe blinding jab (2m per success +5m)

Bonus points
Essence 3 = 7
Combos = 3
Dodge 3 and 4 = 2
Presence 4 and 5= 2
Resources 4 = 1

The Great Triangle

Your character is pretty good, aside from the fact that the First and Forsaken Lion isn't actually allowed to leave his Citadel, which is a slight limitation.  Your concept fits the Lover Clad in the Raiment of Tears much better, which could work perfectly well.  (Basically, you were Exalted by the Lover, and then got transferred to the service of the First and Forsaken Lion as a diplomatic gesture between the two Deathlords)

If you accepted the Lover as your Deathlord, I'd give your character the Lover as a free 2 dot mentor, in exchange for an unbreakable intimacy of love and intimacy towards the Lover that makes all of her social attacks unblockable unnatural mental influence.

As for the war fans, they cannot be used as form weapons for Dark Messiah style, but they do count as form weapons for Dreaming Pearl Courtesan Style, Ebon Shadow Style, and Crane Style.  The Lover Clad in the Raiment of Tears can teach you any of those martial arts, which can be found in Scroll of the Monk.  (except for Crane Style, which can be found in Glorious of the Most High: the five Maidens)

Ons and Offs

Hikari

Is there any way to come by Infinite Jade Chakram in a material other than (obviously) Jade?
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over

-The Strokes, Reptilia

Empyrean

I've never played an Abyssal before but I think I have a concept that could work for a Daybreak. How would a scavenger lord who's speciality was in repairing magitechnology? He was killed when his greedy companions pushed him into some First Age tomb's trap, accepted the Black Exaltation, and came to the Lion's service to forge only the best and greatest inventions for Oblivion's conquest of the world? Would that work?

The Unholy Potato

Ooh, ooh. Reading your character gave me a delightful idea, Brandon. I think I'll whip up a Dusk, instead, since nobody has mentioned interest in playing one. I think I'll probably be able to get him up and running by this evening.

And Triangle, wouldn't Liege be a more suitable background for a Deathlord? After all, it includes Mentor in there while also covering the other support said superghost can offer. Or aren't we going to use Liege and/or do you have other plans in that direction?

The Great Triangle

Quote from: Hikari on August 18, 2010, 02:52:50 AM
Is there any way to come by Infinite Jade Chakram in a material other than (obviously) Jade?

Infinite Jade Chakram is only available in blue jade, so you'll have to pay a double attunement cost if you want to use one.  If you don't want to make the annoying die rolls with a sky cutter, you could pay an extra artifact dot to cover that problem.  I'd throw in an extra point of rate, at the cost of +2 attunement cost.

Quote from: Empyrean on August 18, 2010, 02:59:59 PM
I've never played an Abyssal before but I think I have a concept that could work for a Daybreak. How would a scavenger lord who's speciality was in repairing magitechnology? He was killed when his greedy companions pushed him into some First Age tomb's trap, accepted the Black Exaltation, and came to the Lion's service to forge only the best and greatest inventions for Oblivion's conquest of the world? Would that work?

That would work quite well!  :-)  I'll try to make sure there's plenty of downtime for your character to craft in, and you'll also probably want high levels of the Underworld Manse background, to get your character a factory-cathederal or other manufacturing facility to build your doomsday devices at.

Quote from: The Unholy Potato on August 18, 2010, 04:39:23 PM
Ooh, ooh. Reading your character gave me a delightful idea, Brandon. I think I'll whip up a Dusk, instead, since nobody has mentioned interest in playing one. I think I'll probably be able to get him up and running by this evening.

And Triangle, wouldn't Liege be a more suitable background for a Deathlord? After all, it includes Mentor in there while also covering the other support said superghost can offer. Or aren't we going to use Liege and/or do you have other plans in that direction?

Leige is very much going to be used.  However, it is only allowable if it targets the First and Forsaken Lion.  Mentor is simply being used in this case because the mentor is Lover Clad in the Raiment of tears, and because the character isn't in Her direct service, only the Mentor background applies.

Ons and Offs

Synecdoche17

Quote from: The Great Triangle on August 17, 2010, 05:44:13 PMThe group will be given horrific objectives by the Lion, sent out into creation, and then recalled back to the Deathlord's citadel to report on their progress.  A major theme of the game will be finding ways to sabotage the Lion, or come up with ways of breaking creation even WORSE than what the Deathlord envisioned.
I'm confused. Is this game about playing good guys or bad guys? Honestly, I'd rather *not* do villainous things, but a story about characters being forced to do villainous things, and trying to stick to the letters of their orders while avoiding the spirit of them would be interesting.
A book, a woman, and a flask of wine: /The three make heaven for me; it may be thine / Is some sour place of singing cold and bare — / But then, I never said thy heaven was mine.

Ons & Offs, Stories in Progress, and Story Ideas
Absences and Apologies

The Great Triangle

Quote from: Synecdoche17 on August 18, 2010, 10:29:59 PM
I'm confused. Is this game about playing good guys or bad guys? Honestly, I'd rather *not* do villainous things, but a story about characters being forced to do villainous things, and trying to stick to the letters of their orders while avoiding the spirit of them would be interesting.

The game is about good guys on the bad guy team, trying to subvert the orders in the way you described.  However, at least one or two players probably WILL be on the dark team, so you'll also have to figure out how to distract, brainwash, or overpower them to help protect the world from yourself.

Ons and Offs

Synecdoche17

Quote from: The Great Triangle on August 18, 2010, 10:37:04 PM
The game is about good guys on the bad guy team, trying to subvert the orders in the way you described.  However, at least one or two players probably WILL be on the dark team, so you'll also have to figure out how to distract, brainwash, or overpower them to help protect the world from yourself.
Ok. I'll think about submitting a character, then; I got access to the ruleset so I should be able to put a character together.
A book, a woman, and a flask of wine: /The three make heaven for me; it may be thine / Is some sour place of singing cold and bare — / But then, I never said thy heaven was mine.

Absences and Apologies

Hikari

Quote from: The Great Triangle on August 18, 2010, 10:21:33 PM
Infinite Jade Chakram is only available in blue jade, so you'll have to pay a double attunement cost if you want to use one.  If you don't want to make the annoying die rolls with a sky cutter, you could pay an extra artifact dot to cover that problem.  I'd throw in an extra point of rate, at the cost of +2 attunement cost.

The main problem is I want to use Air Dragon Style, which I believe is stated as being Chakram only.  Though, if I could use another weapon, I would--the Infinite Jade Chakram is a poor weapon anyway, and probably needs some errata.  (The weapon says that magical material bonus is already included in the stats, but that would mean that it actually has worse speed than a non-artifact chakram, which makes no real sense.)  The Sky-Cutter or an artifact Shuriken would definitely be preferable.

I could just throw together a Melee-ist instead, but I've got a feeling that we (like every group ever) will be heavy on them.  As Abyssals, even being a scythe-wielder wouldn't be much guarantee of niche-protection!
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over

-The Strokes, Reptilia

Empyrean

QuoteThat would work quite well!  :-)  I'll try to make sure there's plenty of downtime for your character to craft in, and you'll also probably want high levels of the Underworld Manse background, to get your character a factory-cathederal or other manufacturing facility to build your doomsday devices at.

Gotcha! :)

I'll get to work on him then. For some reason I picture him wielding a goremaul or grand goremaul and beating on enemies like he beats on metal at the forge. :p

The Great Triangle

Quote from: Hikari on August 19, 2010, 12:11:07 AM
The main problem is I want to use Air Dragon Style, which I believe is stated as being Chakram only.  Though, if I could use another weapon, I would--the Infinite Jade Chakram is a poor weapon anyway, and probably needs some errata.  (The weapon says that magical material bonus is already included in the stats, but that would mean that it actually has worse speed than a non-artifact chakram, which makes no real sense.)  The Sky-Cutter or an artifact Shuriken would definitely be preferable.

I could just throw together a Melee-ist instead, but I've got a feeling that we (like every group ever) will be heavy on them.  As Abyssals, even being a scythe-wielder wouldn't be much guarantee of niche-protection!

Air dragon style is indeed to be practiced only with the infinite jade chakram.  Since it's a martial arts style designed explicitly for dragon blooded, I don't see any particular reason to expand it to other weapons, and the jade material upgrade of the jade chakram actually reflects the blue jade used in its construction.  (that's how such weapons get such an impressive rate)

The main advantage of using the design you'll be using is that you can go around pretending to be an immaculate monk and openly displaying your weapon, without getting into trouble.  That can be a serious advantage, especially if you're going to be pretty sneaky. 

I also wouldn't mind you picking up a gyroscopic chakram and practicing Thousand Wounding Gear style from alchemicals, if you wanted to use a Thrown based martial art.  Using the martial art would require an appropriate mentor, however. (probably a Mountain Folk elder or an abandoned autocthonian manse.)  Of course, you'll need a mentor or source of knowledge to practice Air Dragon style as well.

As a final possibility, remember that the native abyssal Thrown tree isn't THAT bad.  :-)

Ons and Offs

Empyrean

Hey Hikari! If you'd like and the ST allows, my guy could forge a Fivefold Harmonic Adapter for you to use the chakram. :)

Hikari

I'll see what I can do with the Jade Chakram.  I do like the Air Dragon Style, since it has a good mix of Stealth, Athletics, Thrown, and Hand-to-Hand type charms mixed in, and it's important to make sure your Martial Art is basically a 'one-stop shop' considering how many charms you have to invest into them.  I'll probably end up a little bit soft-striking, but it'll be with style.

Now I just need to try and stop thinking of a circle of semi-loyal Abyssals under the Lion as being the equivalent of the Espada.  (They're obviously the Lunar equivalent of Abyssals, anyway!)
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over

-The Strokes, Reptilia

The Great Triangle

If you want to give yourselves numbers, be my guest!  XD 

(The First and Forsaken Lion might also assign such things, if he gets into the mood to humiliate the group)

And I'm sure the party daybreak will be able to cover the entire "Mass Destruction" angle for when you need to fight extremely tough enemies.

Ons and Offs

The Great Triangle

Here's the character sheet thread for the game, which also explains the xp system that will be in use.  Before posting in it, PM me to ensure that all issues with your character sheet are resolved, but if that's all taken care of, then feel free to post on in.

Character Sheet Thread

Ons and Offs

Brandon

Well I rewrote the mask a bit. Changed her weapons to a Khatar and her master to the lover as suggested. Im still having a hard time coming up with intamacies but then I always do. Oh and Im going to stick with Abyssal hero style (I love the Irony of calling it that), the other MA's you mentioned just didnt seem to fit for me.

Muse

huh?  Abyssal good guys?  no such thing.  :p 

*ponders* 

Welll, i'm coming up with a concept for a Dark Mesiah form user.  he might be Day caste...  Or dusk... 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Synecdoche17

Quote from: The Great Triangle on August 19, 2010, 02:17:54 AM
Here's the character sheet thread for the game, which also explains the xp system that will be in use.  Before posting in it, PM me to ensure that all issues with your character sheet are resolved, but if that's all taken care of, then feel free to post on in.

Character Sheet Thread
How can one earn points for "substitute Storytelling"?

Also, if you're giving XP for help with mechanics, I am an endless font of power-ups. :p I will send you a partial character sheet when I'm done posting for another thread. If anyone else wants to take a once-over look at it or help me with some decisions, throw me a PM.

Absences and Apologies

The Great Triangle

Quote from: Synecdoche17 on August 19, 2010, 08:32:16 PM
How can one earn points for "substitute Storytelling"?

When I'm in need of a break from storytelling the game, I'll post about in the OOC thread, and players can volunteer to be ST for a little bit.  It provides a great boost of xp, in exchange for having your character take a backseat while you're STing. 

Substitute ST positions might also be available when the party splits, and the total number of adventures going on multiply

Ons and Offs