Writing Game

Started by Lexandria, January 02, 2013, 11:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lexandria

Writing Practice
A Writing Game
How it works: At least once a week, I will issue a writing prompt in a spoiler tag. To play, read the directions to the prompt, then open it, read the prompt, and immediately begin writing. You must write for no less than five minutes and no more than ten minutes, and the time frame includes spell-checking, editing, and thinking about the prompt. The idea is to write stream-of-consciousness style and let the creativity flow. Every Wednesday I will post a new prompt (unless something comes up that prevents me from doing so) for another round of the game. If I have time, I will also post prompts in between the usual Wednesdays.

This is, of course, run on 'the honor system', in that, no one but you knows if you cheat. It's more fun if you don't, I swear!

If you begin the game after several prompts have been posted, feel free to jump in wherever. At the newest prompt or at the beginning, whichever suits you.

When you post your reply: please issue it in your own spoiler tag so as not to influence the reply of your fellow players.

Giving credit where credit is due: This is not originally my idea. My favorite writing professor from my creative writing class in college held "Writing Practice" at the beginning of each and every class, with a prompt and a time limit. The rule was you must write until she called time, and time was usually five minutes or less (I've extended it a bit for my take on this). I found, after everything, that some of my favorite bits of writing occurred during "Writing Practice". I miss that, more than anything else, about my college experience. So! I thought that I would share the fun and make it a game. I will be participating as well, and I will begin with the first three prompts that were my favorite from the class (and posting my original reply to them) as starting examples, and then playing the game along with everyone else once those have passed.

So... here's hoping I won't be playing by myself! it's fun though, so if it's only me I guess it's only me. I'll have fun anyway :D

Prompt #1:
Within is the first half of a sentence. Finish the sentence and keep going until the time is up!

It had burned down to the filter

Prompt #1: Lexandria's Reply

It had burned down to the filter, yet still smouldered as it rolled like a tumbleweed across the parking lot. It bounced and rolled in the night, it appeared to be the only light, the orange flow illuminating nothing as it wrote strange figures in the pitch blackness of the world. It rolled forever, or so it seemed, then stopped, its glow all but extinguished at the edge of the lot that had been its playground. "Time to grow up, time to die" the night whispered. But the light refused to go, and instead burst into glorious new life, bringing the shrubbery to dance in the copper light, climbing ever higher in the night, calling to others to join the game. The night was flowing and surging like a tide, a molten sea of flame.

In the spirit of fairness, this is the completely unedited, first draft version of what I originally wrote years ago for this prompt, copied directly from my notebook.

Here is the code I used for my response, with the response left out, of course. Feel free to use it if you like. Just remember to change out the prompt number and the name.
[spoiler=Prompt #1: Lexandria's Reply] Your Response Here [/spoiler]

ebpohmr

Like you really needed to worry about not finding someone else to do these! Rather than copy-pasting the earlier effort, I'm having a second go at it with a totally different direction! ;)

Prompt #1: Ebpohmr's Reply

It had burned down to the filter. To the filter. I turned to Chris with a look of pure bafflement in my eyes.

"Honey, I know you and technology never quite get on right but how on Earth did you manage to burn the coffee grounds?" he at least had the good grace to bite his lower lip, a sure sign that he didn't want to risk my wrath by telling me the truth. I sighed, realising what had happened. "Let me guess, you were thinking about that hunk Gary again, weren't you, and you allowed yourself to get so distracted that you let the kettle overboil. Then, instead of giving it time to cool down, you just poured it straight into the top of the caffetierre and burned all those grounds, didn't you." I shook my head. I loved the man, I truly did, but sometimes I wondered exactly what went on between those handsome ears of his.

"And now you've ruined the last of the coffee beans. Damnit Chris, you know I need my morning coffee before I can even think about getting dressed. And don't you even think about suggesting that we use that instant stuff. There's never going to be a coffee emergency THAT bad..."

Lexandria

And an awesome second go it was! I got the urge to start the game up after your awesome response to my prompt in your approval thread -bows-

I also suppose this means you know what the prompt is for next week.. unless I change things up a bit! I guess it would make participating next week a bit less fun... so I will be posting one you haven't seen before next week I think.

ebpohmr

Quote from: Lexandria on January 03, 2013, 05:04:29 AM
And an awesome second go it was! I got the urge to start the game up after your awesome response to my prompt in your approval thread -bows-

I also suppose this means you know what the prompt is for next week.. unless I change things up a bit! I guess it would make participating next week a bit less fun... so I will be posting one you haven't seen before next week I think.

Glad to have been of some service and I'm looking forward to Prompt #2!

Lexandria

I'm glad you participated again! I may post the second prompt earlier than Wednesday if I have the time. I just hate to commit to a schedule that I might have to interrupt often due to life stuff. But, we'll see. I plan to keep posting prompts as long as I have someone who wants to write for them. :D

Lexandria

Prompt #2
Something different from the first

Prompt #2:
Within is a statement, describe the first image it invokes

You see yourself standing at the threshold of a room.

Prompt #2: Lexandria's Reply
I see myself standing at the threshold of a room flooded with golden light. The beams illuminate dancing dust motes that sparkle in the sunlight that bursts through the window panes with extreme violence. Perhaps the dust motes aren't dancing, but running for cover in the comforting cool of the shadows that run in strips along the floor. The light burns golden as fire burns, beautiful but deadly destructive, friendly but wild and out of control. The light, which bathes the room in a heavenly glow actually sets the room ablaze and purges peaceful life from its sight. The shadows that appear so dark and ominous actually cool and protect the refugees from the burning flame.

In the interest of fairness, this is the unedited version of my original response to this prompt copied directly from my college notebook.

Le Immortelle

The Room
I see myself standing on the threshold of the room. Its dark. I wonder what hidden treasures and mysteries this one holds now as I take a step in. The journey so far has been an arduous one but to reach here actualy makes me feel its worth it. Being close to the goal so far. The Mask of Barakh has eluded me and my people for aeons. But not anymore. I have slayed men, I have slayed monsters, I have slayed even my companions just to be the first one to reach here. I adjust my armor as I take my first step in the darkness of this structure. I hear something shuffle inside and I almost let out a startled noise, holding my sword up. "Who goes there? Answer me or I shall slay you!" I speak in a commanding tone. My voice, dominant but exhibiting control over it. I may be tired but the focus still remains the same as with stealh, I move forward.

ebpohmr

Quote from: Lexandria on January 05, 2013, 12:17:20 AM
Prompt #2
Something different from the first

Prompt #2:
Within is a statement, describe the first image it invokes

You see yourself standing at the threshold of a room.

Awesome, round 2!

Prompt #2: Ebpohmr's Reply
Which is really, really weird because I only just opened the door and looked through it. Turning around, I see the room behind me as normal. So what then is wrong with this door? I try to close the door, but I can only get it to within an inch of the doorframe before an irresistible force blocks any further closure. I try to dig my feet in and put all my weight behind closing the door, but all that happens is that I slip as the carpet is torn free from the tacks holding it down. I can't close the door, but maybe I can get away from it. I let go of the door handle. Or rather, I try. Whatever won't let the door close won't allow me to release the door knob either. So, I can't go backwards and I can't stop moving, so I guess that leaves forwards. I open the door and am once more confronted with the sight of myself stood in the doorway of my lounge. I look over my shoulder and sure enough, still nothing where my brain says the portal should be. With a shrug I decide that I'm not going to find out anything more by standing around, so I take the step across the threshold.

I wake up and sit up. I have fallen asleep on the couch again and now I need to pay a visit to the bathroom. I get up, cross the lounge and open the door that leads into the hallway. I stop in my tracks when I realise that instead of my hallway, I can see my lounge. Not only that, but I can see myself standing at the threshold of a room.

Hehe. Messing with my mind! *waves fingers*

Incidentally, someone should start a variation of this thread, where somebody gives a list of three to four unrelated items. The challenge is then to write a short story involving those items somehow. You could put a time or word count limit on it, or just keep it for the challenge it is. 

Looking forward to prompt #3!

Lexandria

Awesome replies from Amazon and Ebpohmr!

Ebpohmr:  I do have a few prompts where certain words are given in the prompt and must be used during the course of writing in some way, Similar but somewhat different than your idea. I have two more prompts from the past to give, and then I'll be making up new ones all on my own, so I hope they are as much fun as the ones I am re-using from my class. I should be posting the next prompt either later tonight or tomorrow.

Lexandria

Prompt #3

Prompt #3:
Within is a subject upon which you must begin writing about

Green Sofa

Prompt #3: Lexandria's Reply

Green sofa? What would I want a green sofa for? there are so many hideous shades of green that I think I shall refuse to own such a sofa. Then again, a starving college student shouldn't complain of gifts given to them. But still, why green? Now that I think about it, we have a green sofa back home, a nice little sectional that lives in the basement. However, its shade of green is a nice dark emerald green, so different from those horrible shades of pea soup vomit green.

Split pea soup is pretty good, I suppose, if you can ignore the color. It is especially tasty with ham and garlic mixed in. Though far from my favorite, I prefer split pea over cream of chicken and rice, just because I've had that particular soup too many times. Far too many times. There are only so many times you can eat the same thing before you get sick of it, especially if, like me, you prefer chilli over any other soup. The slight dislike and preference for another food ruins any chance of liking that which is over=served. No matter how much everyone else enjoys the soup.

In the interest of fairness, this is copied from my college notebook the first time I was given this prompt. It is unedited except for spelling and punctuation.

ebpohmr

Quote from: Lexandria on January 06, 2013, 05:31:13 AM
Prompt #3

Prompt #3:
Within is a subject upon which you must begin writing about

Green Sofa

More fun! I can't believe more people don't do these!

Prompt #3: Ebpohmr's Reply

I stopped in the doorway and looked at the green sofa. Whenever I look at it, I see him sat there. I miss him. I never sit on the end nearest the door as that was his favourite spot. Everybody looks at me funnily when I explain why I don't want to sit there. They say he wouldn't mind, like that solves the problem. That isn't the problem. He's gone now and he will never sit there again. If I don't remember that spot as his, I won't remember him sitting there. I miss him. I must treasure the memories I have of him and I don't wish to sacrifice any of those I have, just for momentary comfort. I don't explain that bit. Everybody would think something was wrong with me and then they would want me to go and talk with a 'professional'. I don't think there is anything wrong with me though. I just miss him.

Just a short offering from me for this one. I decided to use prose for it this time! ;)

Lexandria

Prompt #4

Prompt #4:
Within is the beginning of the first sentence of your reply

And another thing,

Prompt #4: Lexandria's Reply

And another thing, I don't want any broccoli, though broccoli is good, that broccoli is all squishy like soggy paper; it will dissolve upon impact with my tongue. Steamed vegetables all hold this quality I abhor, and so I tell you: I will not eat them! And broccoli, why would anyone kill such an honorable vegetable? Crispy, it is wonderful with some ranch dressing, or mixed in a stuffed chicken breast with cheese aplenty. It is wondrous in, or as, a salad, with dill weed, mayo, and lemon pepper. Even better, as a creamy soup with garlic and all sorts of cheese. And cheese, a food that is hardly ever bad, so compliments broccoli. Why did you have to steam it? Why? The broccoli is squishy and the carrots are droopy and the cauliflower has evaporated into nonexistence. Though, I suppose, cauliflower isn't all that bad, steamed. It could still be served in better ways.

in the interest of fairness, this has been copied word-for-word from my college notebook. This is the last prompt I am borrowing from my class, the rest will all be new.

ready4roleplay

Prompt #4

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
"...And another thing, I don't do widows.  No, no, not windows... widows.  You know, like the dead husband kind." Talia spoke into the phone with an exasperated sigh.  The lady answering the phone at the temp agency sounded as if she was 97 years old and was deaf in her left ear and couldn't hear in her right one.  "yes, that's right.  I don't want to be a nanny to a widow's kids.  I know that sounds horribly rude, but widows are the most indulgent parents I have ever met.  I guess they feel sorry their kid doesn't have a dad anymore and let's them get away with murder.... Oh, I see.  Hmm, well... yes, I guess I will take that job.... yes, Tuesday morning, 7 AM, 34308 Browning Road... Got it.. thank you."  Talia hung up the phone with a grunt.  Dammit, if she didn't need the money she wouldn't have taken the job.  Talia hated working for widows, women grieving their dead husbands were usually much harder to seduce than women unhappy with their live husbands.

Lexandria

Prompt #5
And here begins my stab at coming up with original and fun prompts

Prompt #5
Within is a list of words that must be used in some way within your response

ecru, kite, rabid, obscurity, boycott, prolong

Prompt #5: Lexandria's Reply

The kite soared above in the skies, ecru and burnt umber feathers gleaming in bright sunlight, ruffled and buffeted by the wind. Shrieking defiance, though against what unseen force only it knew, the bird seemed determined to boycott the ground, catching updraft and downdraft to soar higher than any other, prolong the flight as long as possible. Though never disappearing into obscurity as other, lesser birds might, swallowed by the sky and clouds and winds until they might as well simply vanish. From its vantage point, its sharp, golden eyes could focus in on anything, from the rabid and wild dogs to the galloping wildebeest to those odd upright predators called 'man', who toiled below to ever better themselves in their own lives.

ebpohmr

Sorry I have missed a couple of days! I hope you enjoy my work!

Prompt #4:
Within is the beginning of the first sentence of your reply

And another thing,

Prompt #4: Ebpohmr's Reply

"And another thing..." At this, the fifteenth flaw that Erica had decided to highlight within the framework of our relationship, I started tuning her out. Honestly, if this was how she was going to get every time I did something wrong, I think I would prefer to go back to the lonely nights I had known before getting together with her. I mean sure, I would miss the bedroom antics and, it was nice to have someone to cuddle with while unwinding from the trials of the day. But all that constant nagging?

"You're not even listening, are you?" caught my attention. She stood, angrily holding her closed fists against her hips and, glaring at me as her cheeks flushed with pique. She was actually kind of adorable like this. It was a mistake, but I just couldn't control myself. I laughed. Her nostrils flared and an almost traceable wave of red crawled up her face as she prepared to enter her 'crazy bitch' mode. To be fair, it was a mode she was particularly good at pulling off and I had the bruises and scratches to prove it.

"You know you're cute when you're angry?" I tilted my head and smiled at her appreciatively as I made a private bet with myself as to which way she would go. Kitten or Hellcat?

Prompt #5
Within is a list of words that must be used in some way within your response

ecru, kite, rabid, obscurity, boycott, prolong

Prompt #5: Ebpohmr's Reply

As I looked down at the pale, greyish-yellow garment, I could not help but mutter "Ecru, Brute?". Chuckling at my pun, I wondered how many of the current generation of school children would look askance at my referencing lines from the works of Shakespeare. Now there was a literary genius who it seemed was destined to fade into obscurity, no matter how much the fans of the legendary wordsmith attempted to prolong his fame. It was a sad state of affairs. I can still see the televised images of the boycott outside the public school whose English department had refused to retract Shakespeare from the syllabus. I had felt a deep stab of sympathy for those school teachers, almost set upon by the rabid pack of minimum-wage, uncultured riff-raff and their children. Honestly, I would have been surprised if any of those protesters could have even said the words 'past participle', let alone explain what that meant. They seemed much more the sort who would go fly a kite in a storm, just because someone told them that by doing so they could catch lightning and sell it to the National Grid. Sometimes, I despair for the future.

Lexandria

Ebpohmr, as always, your replies are awesome! No worries about missing days, I'm pleased that you went back and did them both, though. It makes reading them fun, since there are more of them. I forgot to comment on your Prompt #3, but I like the variety in your responses. Especially since the first time you did that prompt you wrote a poem.

Ready4Roleplay, Thank you for posting as well for prompt #4, I enjoyed your reply as well!

I just love seeing the variety of things different writers come up with for the prompts. It is always so interesting.

ebpohmr

Quote from: Lexandria on January 11, 2013, 02:24:38 AM
Ebpohmr, as always, your replies are awesome! No worries about missing days, I'm pleased that you went back and did them both, though. It makes reading them fun, since there are more of them. I forgot to comment on your Prompt #3, but I like the variety in your responses. Especially since the first time you did that prompt you wrote a poem.

Aww, you always say such nice things about my work! Knew you had good taste! ;) After all the positive experience between the writing prompts during my approval process and this thread, I am totally trying to sign up for the Storyteller's Cafe!

WildCat

Prompt #5: a WildCat's response

The ecru walls did not impress. So boring, they disinterested her. They held no interest for her. They were barriers, limits, and they weren’t even pretty.  Lost in nothingness, lost in disinterest, awash in the obscurity of her mundane existence. There was nothing. There was no purpose. There was… despair.

She missed the old days. Clean air, the sunlight in the sky. Running through fields watching a kite on the wind or racing a dog or… memories. So many memories. And she cherished them because they were all she had left.

She was not crazy. Yes, there had been that rabid moment at the boycott. A moment’s failure amid a lifetime of strength. And yet it had changed everything, unleashed a lifetime of consequences. But now, ecru walls. Now bound arms. Now a complete absence of freedom, restrained in every sense of the word, time would prolong its endless crawl into infinity. And all that was left to her was nothingness. She wanted to cry. But she had run out of tears, run out of tears years ago.
ONS and OFFS: Make Wildcat purr
Absence: Where's the cheshire Cat?

Don't want to lose track of crossrealms and my room

Lexandria

Quote from: ebpohmrAww, you always say such nice things about my work! Knew you had good taste! ;) After all the positive experience between the writing prompts during my approval process and this thread, I am totally trying to sign up for the Storyteller's Cafe!

I hope you get to participate in the Storyteller's Cafe! I think you would do quite well!

Wildcat: Thank you for your response! I enjoyed the imagery and emotion you were able to transmit!

Lexandria

Prompt #6
A little late today.

Prompt #6
Within is the sentence you must base your response on. Write the first thing that comes to mind. You are not required to use the sentence within.

Getting out of here once the job was done would be difficult, but nothing I couldn't handle.

Prompt #6: Lexandria's Reply

Dark, shadowed in the night crouched a lone figure, small and unassuming but for the predatory sharpness of their silhouette. Sharp elbows, knees jutting out angular like a cat ready to pounce on some poor, unsuspecting mouse. And yet, no movement was to be had, the figure simply waited, silent, patient, poised and ready to strike. But what sort of strike would they give? A fierce, quick blow or a mild, bleeding sort that would seem inconsequential but eventually slow the target for an easier catch? Either would be effective, and either would work well. The target did not suspect a thing, sitting at a plain desk in a plain room with plain walls and plain floor. No personality, no color but for the soft glow of the screen before them, illuminating soft, plain features in such a way that they became grotesquely misshaped and distorted. They worked slowly, clacking steadily away at the keyboard, inputting number after number, figure after figure, like an automaton left on too long. The target had no idea that a predator watched them, from just outside the window, hidden by the reflected light from the cold screen that consumed their life.

Lexandria

No Wednesday Update this week due to lack of participation for the past week. I will resume posting prompts if/when participation resumes.

ebpohmr

Prompt #6
Oops, my bad on replying late!

Prompt #6
Within is the sentence you must base your response on. Write the first thing that comes to mind. You are not required to use the sentence within.

Getting out of here once the job was done would be difficult, but nothing I couldn't handle.

Prompt #6: Ebpohmr's Reply

I felt I was justified in my confidence. I had after all, managed to sneak into the basement of the building via an air intake shaft. That wasn't that impressive - doing it without shutting it down completely, now that had been a trick! Disabling the roving guard had been a cinch too. It was the work of minutes to hack the service elevator and reprogram it to his own specifications, turning it into an express elevator headed straight for the penthouse. Unfortunately, that door I had just opened had set off every alarm at every security console in the building. Okay, I knew that was going to happen and its all a part of the plan, but yeah, those security goons will make the escape a challenge. Just how I like it.

Lexandria

Hey, no worries! I just didn't want to be flooding this page with posts if no one was playing anymore.

Your response was awesome as always! I particularly liked how much characterization you were able to give the narrator, because at the end I had a pretty good idea of their personality.

I think that prompt 6 was a bit limiting in its scope, but I guess sometimes prompts do that, though I'm trying to leave them open enough to be fun for everyone. The next one should be less limiting, I hope. I think I'll post my complex one next, to mix things up a little bit.

Lexandria

Prompt #7
A little late tonight.
Also, this is Part 1 of a 2 part prompt.

Prompt #7
Within is a list of items a person carries with them at all times, in their purse, wallet, or pocket.
Tell me a little about this person. Please include at least their name, occupation, and a blurb of some sort to describe them.
You are welcome do do so in any format you want.

• Driver's license
  • prepaid phone card with 2,000 minutes
  • $253.50 cash
  • hand sanitizer
  • an old photo of a young woman
  • antique button
  • key ring with 19 different keys attached
  • a coupon for a free movie rental

Prompt #7: Lexandria's Reply

Name:
Amelia "A.J." Jackson
Occupation: Operates the pyrotechnics for a traveling theatrical carnival troupe
Historical/Personality Blurb: When A.J. was a young child, she wanted to run away and join the circus. Unlike most kids, she never really grew out of it. Though, honestly, playing with fire was much more fun than being an acrobat, as far as A.J. was concerned, anyway. Perhaps it was not quite the right way to go about it, learning about pyrotechnics how she had. Playing with fire beginning when she had first seen her mother light a candle with a match. And, yeah, she had accidentally caught the toilet paper on fire in the bathroom once, while striking matches and flicking them into the toilet to hear them sizzle out with a hiss and tiny puff of smoke. But only that one time. Seeing the flames shoot up and scorch the wall paper was more than enough to scare her into being more careful with her fire play.

ebpohmr

Prompt #7

Prompt #7
Within is a list of items a person carries with them at all times, in their purse, wallet, or pocket.
Tell me a little about this person. Please include at least their name, occupation, and a blurb of some sort to describe them.
You are welcome do do so in any format you want.

• Driver's license
  • prepaid phone card with 2,000 minutes
  • $253.50 cash
  • hand sanitizer
  • an old photo of a young woman
  • antique button
  • key ring with 19 different keys attached
  • a coupon for a free movie rental

Prompt #7: ebpohmr's Reply

Name: Jackson Davies
Historical/Personality: Jackson was one of those lucky people - he decided what he wanted to do with his life as a child and stuck with it. Now a flight officer for a large airline, he has achieved most things in his life plan. Settling down in one place wasn't really his style and there was a long list of broken hearts dotting the road behind him. Not that he felt responsible for those ruined lives, he had after all told them going in that he wasn't looking for anything long term. It wasn't his fault that they all had believed they could change him. He liked being in a new city every couple of days. He enjoyed meeting new people everywhere he went. Heck, he enjoyed the obligatory flirtation with the air hostesses. Down on the ground he felt lost and adrift. Up in the air, he was free.

*grins* I almost started writing an ultra short story, but figured that might be part 2 of this prompt and restrained myself. ;)