David Cameron is now the new Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

Started by Tribalz, May 11, 2010, 03:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tribalz

David Cameron of the Conservative party is now the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland with backing of the Liberal Democrats, after 5 days of intensive wrangling. The fight commenced after Thursday's unsuccessful elections where, although the Conservatives gained the most seats, they failed to gain a majority, essentially leaving no owner of Parliament.

However, after negotiating with the Liberal Democrats, they managed to put aside their differences, and by creating a coalition government which did hold a majority in parliament, they have forced the ousted Labour Government to resign (A strange peculiarity of our system; the Queen can't dismiss a Prime Minister, the Prime Minister must resign), and the Queen has asked David Cameron to form a government.

Just thought I'd put this out there! It's a pretty big thing over here; a once in a generation government. With no constitution to fall back on, it was entirely improvised, and it was quite a feat of negotiation. Anyway! Just spreading the news.
Ons & Offs

Also, appologies to anyone RP'ing with me. It's been a -very- merry Christmas! ^^*

Silk

Gordon brown resigned earlier on today in a attempt to get the lib dems on labors side, it resulted in that desision backfiring

Stan'

Although I'm glad that Labour is now out, I cannae help but wonder what will happen now.  The irony is, that Scottish people are now run by a political party that they didn't vote for.  The Tories only won a SINGLE seat in Scotland, which works out at around 4 or 5% of the total Scottish vote.  Even though I would have voted Conservative if I had managed to get to a polling station on the day, maybe we'll finally see the break-up of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in the coming years.

The Tories won ( which I'm glad of ) because of the English vote.  Almost all of England was painted blue.

Tribalz

To be fair, a lot of the parts where people actually live were painted red, as is usually the case with cities. I'm going to be honest, this isn't a vote of Confidence in Cameron. He didn't win, not by a long shot. He was against an incredibly unpopular leader of a party who has been in power for 13 years, and even then, he could only scratch together a Coalition government, and 37% of the vote. When the Labour party had the same situation 13 years ago, they got nearer 60% of the vote.

As for Brown resigning, I think there is more strategy then we think. Yes, it could have woo'ed the Lib Dems, but look at what his resignation did! It spooked the Tories into giving a referendum on the Alternative vote. I'm not saying that the Labour party did this for some principled stand on electoral reform. Rubbish! But I think they have known their position for days now, they're simply trying to deal as much damage to the Tories as possible, while giving the Lib-Dems a boost; both of which make long term sense to a labour strategist.

And then, even better, the Labour Party is out of action for a few months as it changes its leader. It'll be back in time to face any elections, and to form a still considerable opposition.  The Labour party'll be back, and the Tories...Well, lets hope they do some good over the next four years, because I'm not sure the public are entirely convinced.
Ons & Offs

Also, appologies to anyone RP'ing with me. It's been a -very- merry Christmas! ^^*

Silk

Quote from: Stan' on May 11, 2010, 04:02:02 PM
Although I'm glad that Labour is now out, I cannae help but wonder what will happen now.  The irony is, that Scottish people are now run by a political party that they didn't vote for.  The Tories only won a SINGLE seat in Scotland, which works out at around 4 or 5% of the total Scottish vote.  Even though I would have voted Conservative if I had managed to get to a polling station on the day, maybe we'll finally see the break-up of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in the coming years.

The Tories won ( which I'm glad of ) because of the English vote.  Almost all of England was painted blue.

Well to be fair, the scottish got free university education under labour, England didn't, the scottish got better healthcare under labour, the english didn't, the scottish got better enforcement, the english didn't.

Scotland got alot under labour, while the english got very little, its no supprise it turned out the way it did.

GeekFury

Just to put this back on track, you do know we here in Scotland have our own parlorment? Right?

Stan'

Remiel

Quote from: Tribalz on May 11, 2010, 03:23:39 PM
David Cameron of the Conservative party is now the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of England, Scotland and Northern Ireland...

What about Wales? Does no one care about Wales anymore?  :'(

Stan'

Tribalz

Ons & Offs