iPhone to Windows Phone?

Started by Maeven, January 17, 2014, 09:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maeven

Anyone gone from iPhone to windows phone and liked it?

I'm thinking of making the move from iPhone to Windows, especially considering the new offer to pay termination fees from T-Mobile but I've had an iPhone so long I'm not sure.  It seems like the last three iPhones I've had have had a problem with either the home button or the on/off button and I'm kind of tired of it. I've found some stuff that indicates I can transfer what I've bought on iTunes, I am still not certain it works... Anyone know for sure?
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Kimmy

A quick note is that all your Itunes content will require conversion for use on a windows phone. Windows 8 phones don't support content (media, movies & music) that has DRM - the digital rights management stuffs that says you legally brought, downloaded & own this music/movie etc. CD's you've ripped on your PC should be okay - but anything you've brought or downloaded digitally off the Itunes store (or other places like Amazon, Audible, Sony etc) will require conversion.

The conversion process could be quite annoying, involved and lengthy- depending on how much music & movies you want available on your phone. You also will probably need to keep all the original files so they still work with Itunes and any other apple devices (old iphones make great ipods) So you need double the hard drive space used on your PC.

In general, the problems you described are physical defects with the phone. Perhaps you might look into a store that will offer you a guarantee on your phone - eg 30 days or 90 days free exchange on a problematic phone or something similar. I'm Australian but we have stores who offer 30 day exchange/refunds on all sales. A select few offer 90 days exchange and most have extended warranties with guarantees on times to repair products etc.

If your switching to a nokia branded phone, I can usually recommend them for build quality. Windows phone software has not sold well anywhere in the world but using the phone as a phone & media player isn't a bad experience. It can be a hassle to get your media library ready to work with the phone - you can't just drop it all into Itunes & let Itunes convert it all over night. You have to do everything yourself. There are a lot less apps as well - so you will have access to twitter apps etc - but you get a lot less of the apps designed for entertainment. So how you use your phone plays a big part. If you play a whatever the current, popular game is (eg angry birds) occasionally, enjoy music & the occasional show or movie on your phone - windows 8 is a good choice. If you buy everything off Itunes, own an Ipod & occasionally purchase stuff on your PS3, like to play smaller known games (I like to play a few specific board games on my iphone) and use odd apps most people don't know about - you will probably find a windows 8 phone constantly annoying & never has the right apps to buy.

Using the windows phone itself isn't a bad thing - though some people have found them to be quite clumsy. Trying a handset in store for 15 minutes might give you a better perspective on whether the design suits you or not though. Putting a demo phone through a 15 minute workout of web browsing, checking out the email app, taking a photo & trying to send it to something/someone, looking in the app store for specific apps & fiddling with a few settings should give you a feel for the phone's experience. Most people try a phone out for no more than a minute & don't really get a feel for it's differences. 10-15 minutes gives you a very different perspective without taking up too much time.

Good luck trying to choose.
Posting rate: Moderate       Currently Chasing: Playful, Romance & Something Rough.
A&A           RL Issues: Some Insomnia.
Offsite RP's: 2 online + 1 RL. Currently Craving: Romance and just a touch of something darker...

Aiden

I am not a fan of either but if I had to pick one or the other I would stay with the I phone.

If you have a choice, I would go with an Android software phone. (good price range for what you might need depending on use/daily use/work etc)

A windows phone is bogged down with a bunch of unnecessary crap (unless you really use windows explorer, outlook, office etc). And while the interface looks pretty, I am not that big a fan of their software.

If you use google (at all), I would recommend the android software. You link your account to your phone and all your settings are uploaded and saved. (I am big fan of google anything)

My 2 cents

Callie Del Noire

I'd stay with an iPhone over a windows phone. Aiden has some good points on Android but I would suggest a new iPhone if you have a lot of IOS apps or iTunes purchases. They carry over. I don't have a. Lot of home button problems but I know some folks that do. If you think they will continue, I'd suggest the AppleCare plan.

Only the most rabid windows fans among my friends like the windows phone. my only issues from what I have seen is a smaller App library and even more bloat ware than some vendors put on Android phones (but most of my friends are savvy enough to root an Andriod, so that is typically a non-issue)

Maeven

Thanks kimmy, Aiden and Callie

I think I'll just stuck with the iPhone for now. I really haven't heard too many good things about the windows phone.  I guess I'm just having a little attack of grass-is-greener-itis. 

The hassle of converting all my music over is also a major factor.

I should probably get the apple care plan like you say Callie. I usually skip that but I guess it would be worthwhile.

The Cardinal Rule

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Maeven on January 22, 2014, 07:04:16 PM
Thanks kimmy, Aiden and Callie

I think I'll just stuck with the iPhone for now. I really haven't heard too many good things about the windows phone.  I guess I'm just having a little attack of grass-is-greener-itis. 

The hassle of converting all my music over is also a major factor.

I should probably get the apple care plan like you say Callie. I usually skip that but I guess it would be worthwhile.

When I was in service.. an AppleCare program worked very well. I replaced something like four phones in 3 years. (Note I worked in a very hard work envirment with a lot of signal issues.. I know also there was a 'joker' in our work space who liked to 'zap' phones with the test gear we had)

I'd walk in to the apple store and go 'uh.. it stopped working'..they'd go.. 'Did you back it up' and I'd walk out with a new phone while someone in the rehad facility got to wonder where I managed to fry a chip or three in the phone.

Maeven

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on January 22, 2014, 08:07:18 PM
(Note I worked in a very hard work envirment with a lot of signal issues.. I know also there was a 'joker' in our work space who liked to 'zap' phones with the test gear we had)

what an a-hole!  that would seriously piss me off.  I mean there's no messing with someone's lifeline!

The Cardinal Rule

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Maeven on January 22, 2014, 09:07:03 PM
what an a-hole!  that would seriously piss me off.  I mean there's no messing with someone's lifeline!

My understanding is when someone FINALLY caught him using the gear on their phone..his phone got bagged up and sealed tight, put in a bigger bag and left in the shop freezer. It was a brick. Five layers of plastic, what looked to be half a roll of ordinance tape and then a HUGE bag of water.

Also, in defense of the andriod phones..check out their service plans too. Either the service or manufacturers of some models have very good coverage.

Maeven

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on January 22, 2014, 09:11:13 PM
My understanding is when someone FINALLY caught him using the gear on their phone..his phone got bagged up and sealed tight, put in a bigger bag and left in the shop freezer. It was a brick. Five layers of plastic, what looked to be half a roll of ordinance tape and then a HUGE bag of water.

Also, in defense of the andriod phones..check out their service plans too. Either the service or manufacturers of some models have very good coverage.

Hah. Nice. I was thinking of rigging a bucket of water to fall on his head when he came into a room but direct retribution to the phone is much better.

Frankly, I actively avoid google and their spawn.  I know Apple and Microsoft are probably equally offending data collectors and miners but it doesn't seem so offensive to me, yet at least.

The Cardinal Rule