Darkest Desires [Still Recruiting!]

Started by Esoteric Myobi, August 28, 2010, 10:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esoteric Myobi

This game is broken into sections of 'chapters'. Currently we are wrapping up Chapter 1 which was mostly introductions as each clan drew up their own backgrounds and interactions amongst themselves. We are hoping to begin Chapter 2 sometime soon and new recruits are welcome to join. Humans and werewolves are as welcomed as vampires.

Centuries ago, there were hundreds of vampire clans. A race that was as proud as it was bloodthirsty, war broke out amongst the clans and the smaller and weaker groups were quickly eliminated. No one can say for certain just what exactly sparked the fighting, but all agree that it had been a thirst for power. Greed.

Green and fertile lands quickly changed drastically into nothing but mere wasteland. The tainted blood of vampires, their ashes covering the land as well as dirtying the sky. So much bloodshed and death that their previous homeland was practically unrecognizable. Blue skies were nothing more than a memory as a gray haze forever colored the horizon at all times of day.

Eventually, with the reason behind their fighting forgotten, continuing to take up arms seemed meaningless. Wanting to maintain and preserve those that remained of royal blood - the original full blooded vampires - peace was settled uneasily as groups banded together to protect their royalty.

Unbeknownst to the rest, three clans – their leaders all from the original bloodline – gathered and plotted together to destroy the others in one last frenzy. Their goal - to exterminate the other pure-bloods and rule over their kind together. Or so they agreed upon outwardly, inwardly the trio wished for nothing more than the unfortunate death of the other two.

Having formed their pact, the three clans gathered their members and raised arms once again, marching against the other clans. As for the other clans, most had been decimated and left with only a few straggling members, others were slowly recovering, and all had laid down their arms under the naive mindset that all was well and peaceful once again. How wrong they were. Taken off-guard, all other branches were brutally slaughtered...save for one.

The leader of this particular clan was led by a female, a necessity for the other three if they wanted to continue a pure family line. She was headstrong and rebellious, following her own beliefs…nothing but a nuisance to the other three. Unfortunately for her, she had already given birth to a daughter, and thus had lost any hope of being deemed useful by the trio. Pure-blooded vampires were able to reproduce, however the females were only able to give birth to one child. As for those who had been turned, they were not able to have children of their own, only being able to 'turn' others as well by sharing a bit of their own blood with their recently drained victims.

With her mother killed before her eyes and the rest of her clan practically wiped out, the young daughter left behind claimed her rightful legacy. Being merely a child, the trio had no use for her as of yet, nothing more than a mere pawn in the palm of their hands.

It is now the year 2010, countless years have passed and the girl has blossomed into a young woman. During the time that had passed, the trio had maintained their positions as equal 'Kings' of the vampires, while she herself had unofficially become the 'Queen'. Her clan, one of the remaining four, has grown significantly and become a small empire. Her people as well as her supporters have grown with time as well. Werewolves, who had once been seen as an eternal enemy to the vampires, were now a separate faction within her clan, serving as skilled soldiers, taking on the most daunting of tasks, and the most skilled were assigned as her own personal squadron. It may have taken several decades to come to an understanding with the wolves, but it had been worth the effort.

Out of the elite squad, one was recently appointed as her guard and rumors say that they are practically inseparable. Some fancy that they are lovers, while others stick to the safer assumption that they are the best of friends. Neither of them ever show more than what their roles require of them in the public eye, but their feelings towards each other are more than just admiration and respect.

Now that she has become a woman, the trio has returned. It is time for her to choose a groom and none will return to their own lands until she has been wedded. Who will she be betrothed to? Will she be able to marry one of the men who had killed so many…including her own beloved mother? Or will she be able to keep them at bay while still protecting her own life and people? Maybe an entirely new path will be tread upon…the forbidden path of falling in love with a species that had so long been seen as beneath them? But will they be able to overcome the many ordeals that await them?

Just a few notes that should be taken by those who may be interested:
  • This will not be a first come first serve basis. Characters will be approved and I will be looking for players with a certain level of literacy as well as consistency when it comes to posting. Also, asking that players provide enough in a post that will give others plenty to work with in response. It's quite difficult to make something out of nothing after all. =)
  • While everyone has muse issues and reality calls insistently from time to time, this is fine as long as other players are given a heads up ahead of time when extended absences are to be expected.
  • This will not be a fast paced game, if anything players probably should not expect to receive a response a day. Instead a gap of two to three days can be the norm, though after a week or two of nothing (as in no post, no OOC, and no PM answers) then that will probably be a problem. So if you know you are one who is a bit on the impatient side, this may not be the group for you. Or if you know that you tend to go AWOL or MIA quite often, then this may become a burden to others.
Although set in the modern times, I would like the setting to be a bit more...what's the word?...Classy. When needed anyway. Vampires are sensual creatures so of course in certain sections of the city it can be rather smutty, while others are more elegant and regal. Then again, this is something that tends to apply to all places so I'm sure we have the general idea.

As you can see from the brief history, there are probably five main characters overall. Of course, this doesn't mean that this game is only limited to five characters only. Each 'clan' can have their own followers, loyal or not, though these followers will all undoubtedly be 'turned' vampires due to there only being four 'pure-blooded' remaining.

When it comes to the actual storyline of what will happen what will not, I think it really all depends on what kind of characters are made. Maybe the daughter really does fall in love with her canine bodyguard? Maybe she suffers through Stockholme's Syndrome and eventually finds herself falling in love with one of the trio? Or maybe the trio decide that she is no longer of use, or is too much of a hassle now, and decide to just dispose of her completely? Plenty of scenarios that can play out, several paths this can go down, and of course I am open to hearing them all.

---------------------Race Description and Abilities-------------------------

Vampires - Masters and Turned

The four remaining pure-blood vampires can technically be seen as 'Kings' and 'Queens' of their kind. Being 100% vampires, their powers and abilities are stronger than the rest. When a vampire drains a human and lets that human drink their own blood, that human becomes a Turned, basically made into a vampire. This results in a Master/Turned relationship. Turned must obey their Master, they find it very difficult not to do so and almost impossible to disobey one of their rulers. If a Turned changes another Human, they would become the Master of said Human though this particular Human would be weaker as well. This results in a large chain of Master/Turned relationships with the powers and abilities becoming weaker the further it goes, or the more Turned a Master has. To keep abilities strong and more prominent for both, it may be wiser to restrict a Master to only one or two Turned.

Since we are going with traditional lore, vampires cannot be exposed to sunlight (cancer overkill?). A stake through the heart (or just something that literally decimated the heart) will also mean death. Garlic is a nuisance, and anything holy can be agitating, or if powerful enough can temporarily nullify their abilities.

Note: When it comes to abilities, I am thinking that characters with a Master/Turned relationship can choose one of the following as their shared ability due to their bond (though of course, it will be weaker) and the Turned can choose another ability as their own unique skill. Masters are allowed to choose two unique abilities. Underlined abilities apply to all Master/Turned and thus are exempt from the list of choices since it is assumed that all will have these abilities. Bolded abilities are the powers available to be chosen as a unique ability.:

• Location Sense - able to know where the other is at all times...maybe not exactly where, but seem to know by intuition.
  • Superhuman - Turned are faster, stronger...harder, better...-cough-...couldn't resist.
  • Glamor - a vampire's natural charm, when used it can 'persuade' others to do their bidding though only for a short while. Depending on the distance between the victim and the vampire it drains more energy, also the more complex the task the more energy needed. Also on a time restraint, aka longer equals more energy. This skill can only be used on humans, it has no effect on other vampires and werewolves.
  • Minor Ability - some Masters may have their own special abilities, this is passed on in a minor form to the Turned. Since Masters are allowed two unique abilities, Turned may choose one of the two as their Minor Ability.
  • Empathy - able to feel other's emotions...pain/pleasure/etc...think telepathy for emotions? Similar to telepathy the clarity of the emotions fade with distance, it is the clearest when touching.
  • Limited Telepathy - able to see brief images and flickers of another's thoughts/mind, also able to communicate through the mind though only at a certain distance. Both of these are under a time restraint and cannot be used frequently due to the amount of energy it requires.
  • Precognition - able to catch glimpses of the future. This ability is sporadic and quite limited. Due to an ever-changing future, what is seen is that person's own interpretation of what will happen...meaning it may not necessarily happen.
  • 'Flight' - no, you cannot fly like Superman, but you can leap ridiculously high distances or jump down great heights and be unharmed. For example, don't try to jump off of the Empire State Building if you want to commit suicide because you'll be disappointed.
  • Invisibility - able to meld into surroundings (like a chameleon) for short amounts of time. As with all other abilities this will also drain energy depending on how visible you are (full body vs a hand) and how long.
  • Telekinesis - able to move objects with your mind. Farther and heavier the object is, more energy it consumes.
  • Illusion - similar to 'mind bending', this skill can twist what a person sees/perceives. Illusions are strongest when used on only one person, the maximum amount of people it can affect at a time is three though this is at its weakest due to being spread so thin and can be easily broken or seen through.
Werewolves

The werewolves, as suggested by Aether, basically follow the usual tales. Since he had given such a nice description below, I'm just going to repeat him here (hope you don't mind Aether). They are pretty much superhuman and immortal like the vampires, however their senses are also much more sensitive. Along with a quick regeneration time (should take a day at least for something really fatal), being immune to diseases, and as well as being allergic to silver in all its forms.

A bit of information of the wolves that will be in play for this game: While there are probably several clans for the werewolves, we are limiting it to just the clan that serves the Altare. Since these would be playing as skilled fighters and protectors, sworn in to serve the Altare 'Queen', I see them as a very proud clan. Basically a clan that would not want to contaminate their numbers with a 'half-breed', or someone they had turned. Thus, the wolves of the Gangrel clan will not be biting anyone with the intent to change them or add to their numbers in that way. Being a pure-blooded clan, they all have the distinct feature of being black and silver backed wolves. Although each can have their own unique feature, being pure black save for a streak of silver is what keeps them distinct from the other clans.

Depending on how often players shift their werewolf characters, I may or may not be putting a limit to the amount of times it can be used in a day. However, whenever a were switches forms, it will take them a minute (or more if seriously injured) and during this time they are vulnerable to all attacks since they are busily concentrating on "I wish I were a wolf, I wish I were a wolf, I wish I were a wolf.." (Just had to put a bit of humor in here... :-))

Humans

As for the humans in this game, they co-exist with the vampires and werewolves, living in ignorance of the affairs of the night. Although most vampires do not openly hunt, some do. Whether it be due to a truly desperate need for blood or just done for the thrill, only they can say. It is frowned upon by the rest of the clans but the troublemakers are everywhere. Sometimes, a choice human is kept as a 'pet' of sorts for the vampire. A vampire with the right amount of control can literally have their own feed at their side for years (until boredom or some other offense occurs) due to their being able to bite and drink from a human (not draining) and thus getting a meal without turning the human. Besides humans being seen as nothing more than a fresh meal, they are also used as sex objects. Some humans who are knowledgeable about the clans either fear them and rebel against them, or want to be one of them. These willing subjects are kept around until they are no longer useful. The few who are lucky enough may find themselves Turned. Those who are unlucky become nothing more than a corpse.

The Fangless

Turned vampires who had taken it upon themselves to remove their fangs. They still drink blood, they just removed their instinct to hunt and feed and transmit their virus. These Turned are vampires who are trying to keep their humanity, clinging to a past that they can never return to. Having removed the symbol of their new life in the shadows, the Fangless are scorned by most other vampires and had been forced to lead lives of exile. Unable to transmit the virus, they cannot Turn other humans. Also, not having fangs, they cannot bite another human in general and drain them the way that all other vampires are able. This means they are unable to drink 'fresh' blood unless it was bled from a cut. (Drink from a cup? No biting and sucking.)

---------------------Character Profiles-------------------------

Name:
Race: (Vamp - pure/turned/fangless, Wolf, Human)
Clan: (Ravnos, Malkavian, Brujah, Altare, Gangrel)
Station: (what do you do in your clan? what purpose do you serve?)
Weapons/Abilities: (We will be playing a free-form game, there is no particular system to be followed so things such as turns and stats do not need to be applied. Just keep in mind that since we are playing without any particular rules, abilities cannot be overpowered and try to limit yourself reasonably. Such as if a powerful attack was just executed you cannot possibly do the same a second later, and so on and so forth. If people end up dying in battle please work it out over PMs first so that the scene will be epic. ;D Let's try to keep the number of abilities limited to two (Everyone has immortality and are superhuman. 'Masters' are allowed two unique abilities, 'Turned' are allowed one unique ability and they can choose one of their Master's unique abilities for their 'Minor Ability'). As for actual weapons, no more than two. Hope this keeps things fair for everyone.)
Appearance: (Don't feel pressured into having to find a picture, if you want to just type out a description that is more than welcome if not preferred.)
Personality:
Biography:

---------------Positions------------------

We have recently lost a few members (those of whom I have crossed out) but I have left their profiles up for any who would like to refer to them as background or just pure curiosity.

This section will be updated as the spots are filled so please check back from time to time to see which spots are filled and which are still open. I will fill in the positions after they have been looked over and approved by me. Unfortunately, this will not be first come first serve. Instead, I will be looking for a certain level of literacy as well as a somewhat regular posting rate. This game will not be fast-paced in any way so don't expect more than one post a day at most from other players. Everyone can get caught up in life or be having muse issues and I hope everyone can respect that and give each other time to respond. :-)

Note: I'm just picking out a few random names to help represent the different clans and factions. Feel free to change them if you'd like. Of course, each clan and their members would have a differing function. Also, for the werewolf clans there are probably several different factions however I'm only listing one which would basically be that of the squadron loyal to the 'Queen'.

Trio (Kings):
Ravnos 'King':
Ravnos Coven members: Sonja Eriksson - Lady Kitsune

Malkavian 'King': Jovanus Malkavian - PeacethatPowerbrings
Malkavian Coven members:

Brujah 'King': Xavier Devar - Xanatos
Brujah Coven members: Danica - Xanatos

Altare 'Queen': Arina Altare - Esoteric Myobi
Altare Coven members: Cara (O'Connor) Altare - Cassiopeia

Werewolf (Elite Squad): Gangrel
Gangrel Pack members: El Capitán Ramirez Diego de Casador - Professor Loki Caprion

Humans:
Lucian Crowley - TheHangedMan

Past Players:
Torulf - Aether
Lucco Bright - Shihong
Pearl - Jellineck
Aleksey Desaad - Dark Clown
Adelaide d’Harcourt - Malina
Logan Bale - Bluerhythms
Jellineck - Colin Flaherty

Any questions that need to be answered or issues that need clarification feel free to post them here or PM me and I will gladly answer to the best of my ability. =)

...I want to be your wet dream, your daydream, your only distraction...
~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~
Status: Currently have my hands full running Bump in the Night. Always recruiting~!

Esoteric Myobi

I hope it's not the long introduction that's put people off, or perhaps the fact that the game has already been underway for a while? Just a note that if any players are interested (as I hope there are) a warning that the game tends to progress rather slowly.

Mostly searching for positions to help even out the numbers, or of course, add a new fresh element of 'fun', 'intrigue', and 'surprise' to the game.

Humans are always fun to toy around with, and at the moment we only have one werewolf so it's not much of a 'clan' yet. The Malkavian and Brujah clans are currently occupied by one player each so having more vampires there would be ideal as well. Though of course, vampires for the other two clans are welcome as well. =)

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~
Status: Currently have my hands full running Bump in the Night. Always recruiting~!

Xanatos

Xavier, the Brujah King, could always use a new play thing or perhaps a more 'equal' vampire lover or what not (keep in mind Xavier is among the oldest of vampires, so few will be his age and thus few will be his equal in power). If anyone is interested in RPing with me (Xavier and Danica), keep in mind both are a bit "crazy" -chuckles-. They like to behave a bit like animals at times. Best to read their character profiles for all the detail.

Aether

Thank you for your continued interest and consideration, fine peoples.

There is a blurb in the other thread as well concerning the joy you will experience contributing to this writing experience

Jecht

I'm fairly interested. No sure where to post or how to get started but consider me interested.
In my restless dreams, I see that town... Silent Hill. You promised you'd take me there again some day... but you never did. Well, I'm alone there now in our special place... waiting for you.
Ons and Off
My ideas
I'm sorry

Esoteric Myobi

Interested players should provide a character profile for approval first. You can look at the current players' character profiles through the links provided in the first post. Also, you may want to take a look at the actual game first before deciding whether or not you'd like to join us. Other than that, I'll be looking forward to seeing your character profile. =)

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~

Esoteric Myobi

Andd...we are still recruiting! New players, have no fear! We will be starting off the next Chapter and so this would be a perfect time to jump right into the game!

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~

LimitlessNikkie

Name:Adrian
Race: Vampire turned
Clan: Brujah
Station: Adviser to the King
Weapons/Abilities: Precognition(weaker form). Highly skilled using a rapier.

Personality: Adrian is alive. She is outgoing, doesn't think before she speaks, completely open and to all appearances a very easy person to get along with. Her draw backs are simple she things like a predator if she wants something she takes it without much regard for anyone else, she figures if they want it they can try to take it. She is impulsive and sometimes rude because of her lack of forthought. She is fearless in many regards caring nothing for what others think of her or what the consequences may be. Her view on life bans regrets so she never holds back in the least taking every chance no matter what the risk she knows we all die so you might as well live the fullest life possible. She's extremely loyal to those she tied herself too and wouldn't think twice about doing something reckless or dangerous for them.

Biography:Adrian was created by a long dead master at the age of 16. Before being changed her life was fairly uneventful as a whole. She was the oldest of 6 children charged with the task of helping to raise the brood since her parents were constantly working trying to make ends meet. She was raised and groomed told endlessly it was her duty and life goal to merry well and have a family.
Adrian wanted none of it so when a charming man asked her to run away with him she did so willingly. He turned her and she never regretted it. Her Master never had the patients for politics finding the practice far too constricting like her he reveled in his race taking pleasure in being the hunter and predator in opposition to the human cattle.
It was a sad time when her Master died but she made her own way in the world staying pretty much off the radar till now. Where her master had, had no interest in politics she finds the games to be quiet entertaining and when she looked to join one of the kings she found the Brujah clan to be to her liking. Where the rumors of their animistic tendency's would be off putting to many it was comforting. Where she'd learn to act graceful and poised, she still thinks like a predator.

Esoteric Myobi

Thanks for showing interest LimitlessNikkie!

There are a few things that we'd have to work out with your character, but my first question is if you've had the time to look over our game thread for Chapter 1? I mention this since I looked over your posts (as I do before approving all players) and I noticed that your posts are fairly short and all written in the first person perspective. Looking over the game thread may give you a better idea of what we're expecting from new recruits and whether you think you're up for it or not. =)

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~

LimitlessNikkie

It was late when I submitted the character I hadn't had a change to read the game yet but I was just about to. I'll laet you know after I read it if I'm still interested.

Esoteric Myobi

It's not a problem. =) That sounds fine~ ^^

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~

LimitlessNikkie

I've read the first page of posts (would have read more but it took me 2 hours to read that) and looked threw the rest of the thread and it's easy to see your hesitation. It's not my usual game but not beyond my abilitys acually the challange of it should be rather fun. Anyway I'm still interested and looking forward to hearing if I got in.

Professor Loki Caprion

El Capitán Ramirez Diego de Casador

Race: Werewolf

Clan: Gangrel

Station: Gangrel Pack Leader, Bodyguard to Arina Altare

Weapons/Abilities: Apart from his inborn abilities as a pure-blood Gangrel Werewolf, Ramirez is an astounding swordsman. Even in the modern times where firearms hold prevalence over the battlefield, the Spaniard can be seen nimbly weaving through the fray with flashing blades. For the sake of concealability, however, Ramirez no longer uses his rapier of old, instead vying for a pair of short swords worn sheathed across his back to be concealed under a long coat. Even for more formal occasions he keeps these blades in place, using a tail coat for cover.

Appearance: Centuries of age have paled his skin a bit, but Ramirez still bears notable markings of his Spanish heritage. His facial hair always seems not-quite-fully grown in, though it seems that bit of scruffiness is by design. Ramirez' hair always seems windswept as if from a long sea voyage, perhaps a mark from the days of yore when the Spaniard spent much of his time on some naval escapade or another. Oddly, the Werewolf's eyes seem so dark that they have no colour at all.

Personality: Ramirez is a dedicated man, and always fully devotes himself to any tasks given. It is that dedication that perhaps gives the Gangrel a bit of a smug demeanor when his abilities are brought into question. It isn't fully unwarranted, however; Ramirez knows his own limitations and does not make assertions that he isn't capable of upholding. It is perhaps such diligence that has brought him to his current station, his pure blood notwithstanding. However, just as Ramirez works hard, he throws himself into revelry with all due abandon, when the situation allows. Perhaps his recent promotion has been weighing too heavily on his leisure time, making the Werewolf seem a bit antsy without as much available time to "cut loose."

Biography: Born in the small town of Casador sometime in the early Renaissance, Ramirez was raised among proper Gangrel Werewolves to respect his pure blood. When the Black Death began to spread through Europe, however, the family found that chaos began to breach their stable existence. With the human population weakened, brigands came to sack the small town and loot whatever was left by the dead. The few able-bodied men left fought, while Lord Diego sent his wife and his son, Ramirez, off to safety. That was the last Ramirez had even seen of his father.

Ramirez did his best to keep a good existence for he and his mother, beginning to learn to fight for both his Clan and his only surviving relative. After things seemed settled enough, Ramirez took to wandering on his own, eventually finding his way as a crewman aboard a Spanish Galleon. Perhaps it was with those sailors that Ramirez learned the finer points of combat and revelry, though the Werewolf greets any inquiries to this point in his life with naught more than a rakish smile and a twinkling eye.

Eventually, the call of his blood brought him back to land, whereupon he fell back in with his Clan; specifically under the Gangrel leader's pack. It wasn't long after that his pack was assigned to Queen Arina, with him being appointed her specific bodyguard. It is a job that, like any other, Ramirez takes quite seriously; however his proximity to the Queen as well as his lack of leisure time have resulted in the Werewolf growing closer to the Vampire, as she was a constant source of social interaction. With the passing of his pack's leader, Ramirez now has an additional duty to cover, which may further fray his sensibilities...
The Professor is drifting through time and space...

Discord: Professor Ravenhurst#8936

Ons/Offs | Ideas | A&As (Apr 28, 2016) | The Lab | Elluiki

Esoteric Myobi

Welcome to the game, Professor. You can join the rest of us in the OOC Thread. It's a bit quiet at the moment but always nice to get acquainted. =)

Have updated the list of players and positions available.

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~