'To deny another's redemption is to deny them of humanity'

Started by Twisted Crow, April 18, 2019, 01:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twisted Crow

In the wake of some conversations i have had recently with family and others, I thought to bring this up again. I actually care about social consequences and the dangerous precedents they may set for the future. I have said this before, but I have never made necessary distinctions. Perhaps, I should finally do so...

"He is a parasite to humanity. He is irredeemable garbage."

"She lied and caused this damage, therefore deserves no chance at redemption."

This corrosive speech troubles me because it carries the danger of robbing another of choices. It is more than stating opinion or shaming; it is making the choice for them and possibly places a wall to block their path in life. Note, there is a difference between creating a barrier to protect yourself and completely removing one's potential to change. In this, one creates the monster and denies them the capacity to "rejoin the human race" or change their ways. I recognize this same problem both in criminal corrections and the justice systems here in the States. It is simply thoughtless -- a testiment to social destruction.

Mind you, I see a time and a place to recognize that a person in my life cannot be trusted the same way as they might have been before. Sometimes, I might not be able to trust them ever again. However, this is my choice to protect myself; not deny them of their path.

Of course, I will not blindly assume that people always change for the better. This is ultimately unrealistic. However, I refuse to deny them their choice. I refuse to deny one of their humanity. It is not my right to do so.

Just thinking on this regarding some RL conversations I have been taking part of. Have a great day, everyone!  :-)

-Dall