The Science Tattoo Emporium

Started by Avis habilis, May 04, 2010, 08:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avis habilis

Couldn't think of a more suitable place to post this, so here it is: Discover Magazine's science tattoo emporium (http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/loom/science-tattoo-emporium/), in which scientists show off ink that shows off their disciplines. Personal favorites include this benzene ourobouros & Schrödinger's tat.

Lilias

I dig that hieroglyphic 'brain'. Scuse me while I pull up my Tengwar fonts...
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Trieste

Ahahahaha. I love it! The punnett square it beautiful, although I'm afraid that if I got one like that I would be accused of cheating on my exams.

My tattoo gets mistaken for DNA a lot (it's not) and I adore it, but I would love to get the four bases on the back of my shoulders: AT on one side (the drawn out structures) and GC on the other side.

Muninn

DarklingAlice

Oooh this is going to eat so much of my time today! Thank you!

If I ever got a science tattoo I think that it would probably have something to do with thermodynamics, or the basic retroviral genome, or maybe that punnett square, it is cute, ooh or a catalogue of mutation types, or maybe the phylogenetic tree of a particular virus I like, maybe the uncertainty principle, or the crystal structure of the ribosome, or the three DNA helical structures...? I think I am going to run out of skin before I run out of science...

Quote from: Trieste on May 04, 2010, 09:37:21 AM
[...]but I would love to get the four bases on the back of my shoulders: AT on one side (the drawn out structures) and GC on the other side.

Then all you would need to complete the set would by ribose and deoxyribose in the middle (and maybe a few phosphates floating about) ^_^
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Trieste

Yes.

... I've thought about getting ethidium bromide in the middle of one of the loops on the current tattoo on my back, though. (A picture of which can be found on the wiki, by the by.)

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Trieste

Will

This guy got the solar system all across his chest.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/loom/science-tattoo-emporium/?nggpage=23&pid=146

It looks like he got Pluto too though, haha.  Poor guy.  He must have taken that whole dwarf planet thing rather hard.  Or maybe he took it in stride and got Eris somewhere on his back.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac