Interest Check - Werewolf: the Forsaken

Started by ultraperv9000, March 11, 2015, 12:09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ultraperv9000

Heya all! I just got Werewolf: the Forsaken Second Edition and I've been itching to run or play a game. I'm intimately familiar with new World of Darkness, and would love to find some folks that want to role-play on a fairly regular basis, with adventures and plots run as requested. Let me know if you're interested! If people are intrigued, I can list a few of the potential story ideas I've got in the back of my head. Or, I can explain Werewolf: the Forsaken to those who aren't familiar! I'll do the best I can :)

TheSeducer

I'd honestly love to hear more about this Werewolf: The Forsaken. Well, maybe I can Bing it or something.

But I'd be down for a roleplay with you since we're both waiting to be approved.

ultraperv9000

Okay, you could just Bing it, but here's the gist as told by me!

In the World of Darkness, werewolves are very real. They keep their existence a secret from the human herd, the better to move unchallenged in the shadows. They are creatures that walk between two worlds - flesh and spirit, wolf and human balanced in their forms. Their purpose: to walk between the worlds of flesh and spirit, policing the wall between worlds. Alien spirits hunger for sacrifices, and lie in wait to possess unwary mortals. Foolish humans, and worse, seek to enter the spirit-world to steal its power. Monstrous abominations lurk in the forgotten corners of the world, and things from Below hunger to infect and ruin all of creation. Some werewolves even choose to hunt you, swearing eternal vengeance for a terrible crime committed by your forebears, and there is no mercy in their furious hearts.

But you are not alone. Your pack, closer than family, stands at your side. Bargains with the spirits may be struck, influence and power among humans may be gained, mystic Gifts and arcane rites may be mastered. You and yours are the finest hunters in the entire world. And deep in your heart, you know that the hunt is more than just a desire - it is a NEED. You are blessed by Moon, the god/dess whose face fills you with furious joy. In you sings the blood of Wolf, the greatest hunter that ever was, or ever will be. Claim your territory, clash with rivals, seek knowledge, gain influence, but most important of all, HUNT. Your enemies abound, Uratha. Make them think twice about who is predator, and who is prey.

TheSeducer

So, will we be playing as Humans that can transform into a Werewolf or just as a Werewolf?

I am a little bit confused on that.

ultraperv9000

Quote from: TheSeducer on March 11, 2015, 12:52:44 AM
So, will we be playing as Humans that can transform into a Werewolf or just as a Werewolf?

I am a little bit confused on that.

Okay, the deal is, you are a werewolf, not a human. In this case, "werewolf" is a species, of sorts. You're not bitten and turned, you're born with lycanthropy. It just lies dormant until your First Change approaches, at which point you lose control and shapeshift for the first time. It's usually an intense experience, and the damage that these "cubs" can do to those around them in that state can make the circumstances tragic. Either way, once you shapeshift for the first time, you can begin to learn how to shapeshift at-will. Werewolves have five forms: Hishu, the "default" human form; Dalu, the big, bulky "teenage werewolf" form; Gauru, the eight foot tall raging wolf-man form; Urshul, the form of a wolf the size of a horse; and Urhan, an adult wolf.

TheSeducer

ultraperv9000

Yeah, it's pretty nifty. :) I think that it's best played with three people at minimum, but if you really want it to be a blast, have five players, one of each Auspice. Auspice is the moon-phase that you First Changed beneath, and determines your role and "style" as a werewolf. Irraka change under the new moon, scouts, stalkers, and tricksters. Ithaeur changed under the crescent moon, the shamans, occultist types. Elodoth change under the half moon, masters of striking deals with spirit courts and mortal institutions alike. Cahalith change beneath the gibbous moon, artists, oracles, and storytellers. Rahu change beneath the full moon, and are merciless killers and warriors.

If we could get together a group of one of each Auspice, it would be a blast, provided that everyone was committed to keeping their end of the story going.

wander

I'm showing some tentative interest... Will this be using the recently released version 2 W:tF rules based round the God-Machine Chronicle rules update?

I'm erring on either a Ithaeur from the Bone Shadow tribe (to gain Spirit lore and relations) or a Cahalith Hunter in Darkness if there's a significant plot based around a loci to defend one (They'll be an older Uratha also recording it's history for the next generation of the Pack.)

Sorry TheSeducer btw, I don't want to scare you off with more jargon... Just a fan of the game myself. Tribes are basically a wide group of like-minded Werewolves, with each one serving as an ongoing ideal and way of doing things. I'm sure ultraperv can explain more. :)

TheSeducer

Haha. I am not scared but I am not backing down because I want to be apart of this - Even if I don't much about it.

wander

This'll help a little...  :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werewolf:_The_Forsaken

Also if you have the time to be lost in tvtropes, there's a page here...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TabletopGame/WerewolfTheForsaken

Though the first wikipedia page has the general gist. :)

TheSeducer

I've did my research. :P I'll take another look at it though.

ultraperv9000

Wander, I'm using Werewolf: the Forsaken Second Edition, yes. I'm looking specifically at heavy spirit-related plots, so Bone Shadows are likely to be favored no matter the Auspice. As far as how the characters meet, there are a few options:

1) Recently First-Changed nuzusul (cubs) discovering pack dynamics and bonding through danger and mystery. Less initial action, but as the pack becomes more cohesive, the danger ramps up.
2) An established pack with ties and relationships given basic fleshing and detail.
3) A disaster, long-lasting war, or other werewolf-slaying occurrence happens, and the remnants of the former packs come together out of need.

As far as antagonists, my most to least favorite are: spirits > regular humans > Hosts = Claimed > Idigam > Pure.

I'd like female and/or trans* as well as male characters, to keep it balanced. :)

wander

Okay, then Ithauer Bone Shadow it is, I'm happy with Spirits, love to see how they function with the GMC rules. :)

fallensaviour

haven't had a chance to look at 2nd ed, what'd they change?... mostly mechanical stuff like xp costs and stuff right?

wander

I don't have it yet, though I am willing to look into the purchase if a game gets off the ground. Seducer has been denied, so perhaps it may be best to move this idea to the main Group Game category now you're approved?

Congratulations btw! :)

ultraperv9000

Quote from: wander on March 16, 2015, 01:23:30 PM
I don't have it yet, though I am willing to look into the purchase if a game gets off the ground. Seducer has been denied, so perhaps it may be best to move this idea to the main Group Game category now you're approved?

Congratulations btw! :)

Thanks! :) How do we do that? Do I start a new thread?

VioletPanda

Expressing my interest! I've played WtA before, if that helps any, though the game died...
Current Muse: Meh, not super driven right now

My A/A PageMy O/Os

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: ultraperv9000 on March 17, 2015, 12:52:07 PM
Yeah.

LukaWolf, WtA and WtF are pretty different. There's no looming Apocalypse in WtF, the werewolves are trying to maintain a reasonable status quo so there won't be an apocalypse. Lots of other things too.

Oh, and I'd like to express my interest :)

wander

Quote from: ultraperv9000 on March 17, 2015, 12:52:07 PM

If you'd like to change it to members, you can place a new thread in the Group Games Requests board. I'm still up for playing as the character stated if the game gets up off the ground. I think you're certainly getting the interest for a good pack. :)

VioletPanda

I'll have to do some research so I know what's up.  ;) But I'd like to be involved anyway. And I cast my vote for nuzusul and bonding :)
Current Muse: Meh, not super driven right now

My A/A PageMy O/Os

ravinwulf

Love the forsaken, almost as much as Promethean. You get a game going i would love to be part of it.

ultraperv9000

Quote from: wander on March 17, 2015, 02:37:45 PM
If you'd like to change it to members, you can place a new thread in the Group Games Requests board. I'm still up for playing as the character stated if the game gets up off the ground. I think you're certainly getting the interest for a good pack. :)

Okay! Looks like I'm gonna be doing that, then! I'll keep everyone that's posted here in mind!

Laraine

I have no idea what I would be doing, but would like to join in if this was started!