Delvers Company: Recruiting for Dungeon World High Fantasy Adventuring!

Started by Nastara, September 14, 2016, 08:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vergil Tanner

So...quick question; when do you reckon we'll know whether our concept has been approved, and when can I expect a PM starting the whole "Tailoring the class?"

Also, do our characters "Level up" and choose their attacks froma list of "learned abilities" like D&D, or does it work somewhat differently to that?
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Nastara

I'm hoping to get the game off the ground relatively quickly, but I also don't want my system for getting players together to be just 'whoever happened to be online and did an admittedly awesome character write-up.'  I mean, there's no way for me to have a completely fair system, but if someone logs on at 8pm tonight and would be THE PERFECT MATCH I don't want them to miss the boat simply based on timing!  With such a small game, I'll likely wait a day or two and then send out messages to everyone and post here as well.

In terms of Eidolon or Catalog, I'm sure we could figure either one out!  Mostly a thing of personal preference on your part!

Yes, characters do level up!  Basically when you level up, you get a couple of little stat bonuses and (perhaps most importantly) you select a new move from the list of options.  As an example, this is the advanced moves for the bard class.  Advanced Moves will either improve an existing starting move or give you something entirely new that you can now do.  Leveling up tends to be a little more fun (IMO) than the 'Oh, my attack is now +1 higher and all of my opponents have +1 AC...' from D&D ;)  I've heard it described as D&D characters become more sharp, DW characters become more broad.
Delvers Company: Origins (Starting Soon!)
Red Team OOC| Blue Team OOC| Worldbuilding

Vergil Tanner

Okey dokey! I'm only asking because I'm flying out next Wednesday and it's a 17 hour journey (OUCH), so I want to have it at least mostly done before I disappear for a couple of days to get over there and get settled (assuming I'm accepted, of course). So it was just so I knew what kind of time frame I'm on :-)

Cool cool! I trust you to take me through it in a way that doesn't make us both want to fall on our swords :P

Haha, good to know! Just trying to get a feel for exactly what kind of System it is! :D
I can't wait to see what other characters get pitched, and I can't wait to see my little Sara get Triple Stuffed by Futa Monster Cocks meet the other members of this new Adventuring Group! :D

One more question, though; how long has this little group been together in game? I will obviously need to write up a character background for Sara, assuming I get in, so I need to know what kind of timeframe they've all known each other and how they got drafted together. Like...did they all join the guild and get assigned to be in a group, or did they get deliberately scouted for recruitment? That sort of thing :-)

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Nastara

I love all of these questions!

Yeeeeowch, 17 hour journey sounds ROUGH.

Here's my timeline:
Friday (hopefully) send out some invites
Over the weekend I'll be a little idle (my weekends I tend to be less active)
Monday begin hardcore setting down Bonds (how the characters know each other, what kind of relationships they have, etc)
When Bonds Are Done (maybe week after next on Monday?) Get ADVENTURE!

So, the idea behind the Delvers Company is that it is a guild that has existed for some time.  The different adventuring groups are made up of members of the Company, basically when an adventure comes up the Delvers who aren't out on a job go, "Okay, you, me, her, her, and her.  Let's GO!"  In terms of how any individual group is put together, we haven't talked about it in a major way (and a lot of the Delvers Company Lore is something that's kind of evolving outwards as players introduce things!), but there is a central Delvers Company Guildhall which is in the back of a bar (for now!).  In terms of how long you've known individual members, that may differ!  You can decide, if you want to be a brand new recruit, you can totally do that!  If you want to have been working with the Delvers for a while, that's cool too!

Does that help?

Vergil Tanner

YHUP. 13 hours or so to Mombai, two hours layover, then a couple of hours flight to Hong Kong. Get my stuff from the Consulate, then hop across the border to Shenzhen, where I'll be working for the next 10 months. I am absolutely bricking it. >.<

I'll try to get my stuff done by Tuesday, buuuut no guarantees. I might be inactive from next Wednesday to the weekend-ish, but I'll get on when I can.

Okey dokey! I think I'll have my character be a new-ish recruit...maybe she was exploring a cave that she felt some strong magical resonances from, and ended up getting in over her head when she realised it was a Demons Nest...maybe a Cult had summoned some Eldritch Force and it had taken over and Corrupted the cave. She was lucky enough that a group of Delvers had been sent to investigate, and she met up with them...they teamed up and banished the Demons back to their home Planes, and the Delver Company invited her to swing by if she was in the area of their "Guildhall." She hummed and haaed, then decided to go for it so she could explore the world and learn more about it in the safety of a group/guild.

See, what I'm thinking is that her Clan is more of the Nomadic, isolationist type and they're led by a Mage who can commune with Spirits and divine signs from nature and the world around them, as well as employ their abilities to help keep the Clan safe. To do this, every generation (which is MUCH longer for an elf, obviously) selects their top Magic-talented youngster and apprentices them to the current Guide (the human translation for what they call their leader). When they hit the human equivalent of 17, they're sent into the world to gather experiences and wisdom from the wider world so that when they return in twenty or thirty years as a grown Elven man or woman, they're better equipped for leadership. So, she reckons that a good way of getting experience both being part of and leading a team, and a good way to explore all the forgotten corners of the world and seeing all the big cities and far off lands is by joining local Guilds who know the area and local dangers better than she does, so when she returns she can be an effective, wise and knowledgeable Guide. :-)

Does that sound acceptable? 

Nastara

Yeah, don't worry! If it interferes, it interferes!

And that sounds like a really great background!  And having a race of nomadic elves is super cool ;)

Vergil Tanner

Yhup! Once I'm settled in my job, my online times should become fairly routine. So I just need to hold out until then! XD

And sweet! Good to know that's acceptable.

Now I guess I'll just sit back and wait to see if an invite pops into my PM inbox over the next couple of days. Good luck with your recruiting ;)

Nastara

Thank you! Looking forward to seeing what adventurers come to the call!

Vergil Tanner

Nastara

Anyone interested, keep on posting! Will be trying to choose people towards the end of the week, work out Bonds the following, and then diving headfirst into adventure!

VonDoom

Yeah, don't be shy. My Nuria certainly isn't!

She's our resident Immolator, so she's got a fiery temper! (And libido to match, so watch your ass!)   :D
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Nastara

Quote from: wander on September 14, 2016, 11:19:37 AM
Okay, well I leave this post as a placeholder for my application then!

Shadowe the elf will try once more!  :-)
No need to use a placeholder! I'll be hopping around the thread to look at things!

Also, for anyone interested, we are 129 replies into The Other Delvers Company Thread so if you're looking for a feeling of how the game plays and/or what kinds of adventures I may be pushing for, feel free to check it out!

Nastara

Updated the main thread to show that we're now in double-recruitment! With it being a slightly slower recruitment rate (not summer anymore!) I'm putting an eye towards filling slots that will be opening in several weeks as well.

Vergil Tanner

Come on, guys! Pitch some characters! This looks pretty cool. :P Though make sure they're not TOO good...I still wanna get in, after all ;)

Tanken Sai

If your still looking for players. I would like to play.

Name: Maralle Draquone
Race/Class: Tiefling Warlock
Sex/Gender: Female
Interested In: Men/Masculine Monsters > Let's see what you got. 

Background: The daughter of a break tieling healer but felt that helping thesick was not her place. Leaving her home.town with my a few clothes and a few memorized helpninnher night travels. She made her way to distant kingdom to find a tutor and learn more about necromancy.

Familiarity With DW/D&D: I am great with d&d, I love pathfinder and I am still looking for a vampire the masquerade game that last longer then a week.
How Often Do You Elliquiy?: I check in daily before work and after. On my off days I try to stay for about 2 hours a day. If Its really good three hours.
Sorry about the last time, I had to find the right pic for her. >:)
May the goddess watch over you

AnneReinard

This looks absolutely fantastic. Going to whip something up quick as I can. Like RIGHT NOW.

Name: Sophie Shimmerglass

Race/Class: Human Paladin

Sex/Gender: Female

Interested In: Men/Masculine Monsters > Futa/rest. Nothing ruled out, just a sliiiight preference to the brutish type. Noncon is definitely a plus, though dubcon is certainly feasible as well.

Brief Description: Sophie Shimmerglass is a budding knight that is driven by a desire to help others. She thinks the best way to do this is to be a shining example, facing down the world with a sword to smite down evil and a shield to protect the innocent. She does not strike the most intimidating profile yet though. Her youthful face, with hope filled hazel eyes framed with brown tresses usually tied back in a ponytail, does not carry the look that would suggest a fierce warrior. Her fairly petite form, despite all her training to be able to wear more armor upon her person, does not suggest that she could win an extended melee. Her naivety and hopefulness that she carries with her is more likely to get her in trouble than keep her out of it, and she refuses to let injustice pass if she can avoid it. If it wasn't for that hint of divine power helping her along, she would no doubt be quite doomed.

When it comes to the matter of sexuality though, she has managed to push a lot of that to the side. Certainly, she had her fair share of suitors when she was attempting to become a knight. But she told herself that these things should be shoved to the side, ignored, pushed back. A knight could not live a life of pleasure, not when it would detract from her ability to be of aid to the people. So Sophie locked away that bundle of emotions as best she can, limited to the rare night on an inn bed when desperation would build up too much. No doubt in the world that she looks forward to, this will be as much a blessing as a curse.

Familiarity With DW/D&D: Familiar with D&D/Pathfinder/variants, less familiar with DW. I've looked over it before, haven't had a chance to play.

How Often Do You Elliquiy?: I check daily and can probably post ~3 times/week, though possibly more depending.

As interested as I was the last time I saw it, so I'll give it another shot!
Ons and Offs

Always free for a little teasing back and forth. Or suggestions to titles to make this exhibitionist squirm! I adore silly little PMs.

Chulanowa

Vergil Tanner

Oooh, I like the look of Sophie! A naive, purehearted little Paladin to get royally fucked and corrupted XD Of course, what God she's the Paladin of would dictate whether she would love Sara...or hate her, I suppose. XD

AnneReinard

That is half the fun of course! I am not certain what sort of deities exist in Dungeon World (I sort of got the impression that it was worked on a case by case basis last time I looked over). I definitely see her as the type that would not put her own feelings to the fore, probably along the lines of Catholic guilt with regards to sex. Though who knows how that changes over time...
Ons and Offs

Always free for a little teasing back and forth. Or suggestions to titles to make this exhibitionist squirm! I adore silly little PMs.

Vergil Tanner

Over time and her exposure to Futa Cock! Though my little Sara is much more accepting when it comes to sex, she's not ACTUALLY that experienced. So we have the liberal novice and the Catholic Paladin, in a world where the monsters are just as likely to want to rape you as kill you. What could possibly go wrong? :P

AnneReinard

...nothing at all. Nothing that makes me wriggle in my chair and squeeze my thighs together, nope.

Though after looking over some of the other entries, I feel I should come through tomorrow and really revamp it more!
Ons and Offs

Vergil Tanner

*laughs* I just have an image of poor little Sara summoning a Golem...only for it to backfire and "attack" her. >.>

Chulanowa

Working on a halfling druid or fighter right now. Just gotta decide on an image, then I'll have it ready  ;D

Vergil Tanner

?

Lol. Sara might like him. Halflings are just about the right height always especially in tune with nature. :P

Chulanowa