News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Christa's Make-Up Blog/Q&A

Started by Clio, July 04, 2012, 12:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clio

Bonjour! I'm Christa, and you may have seen me around the site. I've been here on and off since 2008, and I'm one of the resident redheads of E. Some of you remember when I was in college for my History degree, which I graduated with in 2010. However, since I don't want to teach unless it's at a university level, there aren't tons of jobs jumping up for B.A.'s in history. I aim to get my Ph.D in Archaeology or a related field, but until then, I need money...obviously. Although I have the utmost respect for those who can, I personally can't work in a job I don't love. I'd end up living in a van down by the river instead. For real. Therefore, I wanted to find something that I loved to do that could earn me money.

Many on here also know that I'm an actress and singer. I want to pursue acting, but I've gained a lot of weight, and I really don't want to worry about auditions right now. However, I want to work in the entertainment industry, so what else could I do? I've always loved make-up. Everything about it. I'm a theatre geek, so that sparked my interest in it, but I'd been wearing it since I was 12 because of acne. Recently I found out that my acne was the result of rosacea, so that explains why no treatments (including 3 bouts of accutane) have had lasting effects over the past decade. Anyway, that's another story. The point is that I've always loved everything to do with make-up, and horror movies, Lon Chaney, etc... There was a school close to where I live called Joe Blasco Make-Up Artist Training Center, and it seemed like it was meant to be. I started in April of 2011, and here I am.

I'm a professional make-up artist with over 600 hours training in beauty, special effects, prosthetics and more. It's a unique and fun profession, and I'm very lucky to be able to do what I love. I work mainly in film, but I do photoshoots and other things as well. I figured I'd open up a blog on here that has to do with pictures, tutorials, reviews and such of make-up. I have lots of tips, tricks and random knowledge that might help...or be of interest to you. I specialize in special effects and gore make-up, but I do it all.

I figured I'd open it up to you guys as well, so feel free to comment or ask questions about anything concerning make-up. And this doesn't have to be just girls either. Most guys are into action movies and special effects, so you can talk about that as well. I can talk about the actual career, or anything else. Want a review of a product you're thinking of buying? I might have an answer, or be able to get one for you. Want suggestions for products or techniques? Ask. Want a tutorial for something? Give me a week, and I'll try to get you either a set of pictures or instructions.

Basically, as my life revolves around make-up (obviously), I just wanted to talk about it on here. My first entry will be up later, but feel free to post as you like.

Love and Make-Up,
~Christa*
Signature by the amazing Amaris.

Sheol

Hey there Christa,

Have you any makeup hero's? I'm generally behind the camera, but my MUA put me onto Alex Box. Wow. Awesome stuff. She's fashion rather than Special effects mind. Anyway - best of luck following your career 0- woudl be great to see some of your creations :)

S :)

Gladiator0161

Hey Christa :)

Been awhile. I'm glad things are going well for you. Congrats on getting a job that you love, that's tough :)

Anyway, to my question. What would you recommend to someone who wants to get into Make-Up Artistry but, has no clue about the what's, when's, where's, and why's?

Like where would you suggest they start for instance?

Caitlin

Congrats with your job yes.

I actually have some more general questions. I'm a guy and I like it when women wear some make-up, but because I'm a guy there is a lot of things I don't know about.

One of the main questions I have right now is; how bad is it for the skin when make-up isn't removed at night? Are those (negative) effects short term, or is it something that gets worse the more often it's forgotten?

I also have a question that's more specific to what you currently do; When you do make-up on somebody who will portray for example a zombie, then how does that work? I can imagine that you start with a basic layer of making somebody's skin look paler and then add more elements to it? I really only have some basic ideas, but it intrigues me to see the work on camera. They sometimes make it look scarily realistic.

Also, go go redheads! ;D

Clio

Yay! Questions! I'm currently on set, but I'll answer them all tonight. Thanks, and don't feel afraid to ask as many as you want. :)

Do you want a zombie tutorial, or just a brief overview?

Caitlin

Just a brief overview is okay, I don't want to take up too much of your time. :-)

I'm mostly just interested in the general process of how it'd work, I don't intend to make somebody look like a real zombie hehe. ;)

Gladiator0161

Oooh! Oooh! *Raises hand* If you wouldn't mind telling me the zombie tutorial in addition to my previous questions, that'd be great!

Clio

Quote from: Sheol on July 04, 2012, 02:54:09 PM
Hey there Christa,

Have you any makeup hero's? I'm generally behind the camera, but my MUA put me onto Alex Box. Wow. Awesome stuff. She's fashion rather than Special effects mind. Anyway - best of luck following your career 0- woudl be great to see some of your creations :)

S :)

Thanks! And yes, I have make-up heroes.

Dick Smith: Considered the "Godfather of Make-Up," he's beyond a hero. He's almost deity status in our line of work. Ridiculously talented, and responsible for much of the way we do things now. His old age make-up in The Exorcist was legendary.

Ve Neill: She's AMAZING. She did Edward Scissorhands, Pirates of the Caribbean, Beetlejuice and Mrs. Doubtfire. Extremely talented.

Rick Baker: Another great artist. Look his work up. :)

Jack Pierce: The original Frankenstein and Wolfman creator. Another legend.

Bobbi Brown

Kevyn Aucoin

Pat McGrath

And my personal idol...

Lon Chaney: He did most of his make-up himself, without our technology, and was phenomenal. Known as the "Man of 1,000 Faces," He created and applied his make-up for Phantom of the Opera and Hunchback of Notre Dame, along with other iconic looks. He's...he's just beyond words.

Clio

Quote from: Gladiator0161 on July 07, 2012, 10:02:50 PM
Hey Christa :)

Been awhile. I'm glad things are going well for you. Congrats on getting a job that you love, that's tough :)

Anyway, to my question. What would you recommend to someone who wants to get into Make-Up Artistry but, has no clue about the what's, when's, where's, and why's?

Like where would you suggest they start for instance?

It depends on where you live. If you live in the United States, go to a school. You technically could teach yourself, but it wouldn't be as complete or respected. If you just want to do beauty, then go to cosmetology and get a hair license as well. However, if you want to get into special effects (like me), then choose a school specializing in that. I went to Joe Blasco. He has a school in L.A. and Orlando.

Here are some more:

Dick Smith Make-Up Training: This is correspondence, so you can do it from home.

Tom Savini's School in Pennsylvania.

Cinema Make-Up School in L.A.

EI Make-Up School in Hollywood.

Most schools should help get you started as well, but you'll need a portfolio, website (or profile on Facebook, Model Mayhem, etc...), business card and just start getting your name out there. Networking is the biggest part of this business.

Clio

Quote from: Caitlin on July 08, 2012, 06:40:24 AM
Congrats with your job yes.

I actually have some more general questions. I'm a guy and I like it when women wear some make-up, but because I'm a guy there is a lot of things I don't know about.

One of the main questions I have right now is; how bad is it for the skin when make-up isn't removed at night? Are those (negative) effects short term, or is it something that gets worse the more often it's forgotten?

I also have a question that's more specific to what you currently do; When you do make-up on somebody who will portray for example a zombie, then how does that work? I can imagine that you start with a basic layer of making somebody's skin look paler and then add more elements to it? I really only have some basic ideas, but it intrigues me to see the work on camera. They sometimes make it look scarily realistic.

Also, go go redheads! ;D

Not taking your make-up off at night is just a bad idea. There are some foundations...like Bare Minerals...that are safe to leave on, but you should always try to take off your eye make-up with a special remover. You can get eye infections otherwise. I've also heard that leaving make-up on at night can age you, but I don't know how true that is. It can definitely clog your pores and spread bacteria, though. I sometimes fall asleep before taking it off, but you shouldn't.

There are SO many different ways to make zombies...lol. I'll put up a tutorial for Gladiator, and give you some overviews of the general options out there. No two zombies are created equal. :) You can use just "Paint & Powder" (MUA lingo for only using non-textured make-up...mainly using colors only). You can use construction make-up, with latex, cotton, dryer sheets, wax, gelatin and blood. The most realistic will be actual prosthetics, but that can get expensive. Whether you make them yourself or buy them, getting prosthetic appliances is what the professionals do most often.

I doubt I can put actual pictures of the tutorials up, as that would be considered putting personal pictures up outside of the Wiki Album, but I can do it by words...or by using other photos that I find. 

Caitlin

Thank you for those answers, it removes some of the mysticism that's called make-up. ;)

Oh, another question that just popped up; is masacara ever used as eyeliner too, or are they really 2 separate products? Just how many make up products are there for just the eyes? The ones I can think of are fake eyelashes, eyeliner, mascara and that stuff with the little curly brush to make eyelashes look fuller/ bigger, but I'm guessing there is a lot more to it?

I was also wondering about lipstick; I take it that water resistant lipstick exists, but the traditional lipsticks aren't waterproof? Is lipstick also applied in two layers, or is it really just a single stick?

To improve my roleplay skills; when you apply lipstick as a woman, you paint the lowerlip and then sort of push your upperlip over it to paint that one too? Or is it more common to paint both lips?

As a typical man I generally stay far away from anything related to make-up, but it does actually have my interest since I like to portray my female characters in a realistic manner. ;D

Once again, thank you for taking the time to answer all these questions. I find myself more interested in the subject thanks to you. ^_^

Clio

Quote from: Caitlin on July 09, 2012, 08:47:59 AM
Thank you for those answers, it removes some of the mysticism that's called make-up. ;)

Oh, another question that just popped up; is masacara ever used as eyeliner too, or are they really 2 separate products? Just how many make up products are there for just the eyes? The ones I can think of are fake eyelashes, eyeliner, mascara and that stuff with the little curly brush to make eyelashes look fuller/ bigger, but I'm guessing there is a lot more to it?

I was also wondering about lipstick; I take it that water resistant lipstick exists, but the traditional lipsticks aren't waterproof? Is lipstick also applied in two layers, or is it really just a single stick?

To improve my roleplay skills; when you apply lipstick as a woman, you paint the lowerlip and then sort of push your upperlip over it to paint that one too? Or is it more common to paint both lips?

As a typical man I generally stay far away from anything related to make-up, but it does actually have my interest since I like to portray my female characters in a realistic manner. ;D

Once again, thank you for taking the time to answer all these questions. I find myself more interested in the subject thanks to you. ^_^

Mascara and eyeliner are two completely different things. The "stuff with the little curly brush to make eyelashes look fuller/bigger" is mascara. At least, that's what I think you're describing. You might also be talking about the new trend with "lash enhancing serums." There are TONS of products for the eyes, but I'll put the main ones here:

1. Mascara
2. Eyeliner
   a. Pencil Eyeliner
   b. Liquid Eyeliner
   c. Gel Eyeliner
3. False Lashes
4. Eyelash Serum
5. Eyeshadow
   a. Powder Eyeshadow
   b. Cream Eyeshadow
6. Eyebrows
   a. Eyebrow Pencil
   b. Eyebrow Powder
   c. Eyebrow Stencils
   d. Eyebrow Gel
   e. Tweezers
   f. Eyebrow Scissors
7. Eye Cream
8. Undereye Concealer
9. Highlighter
10. Eye Primer
11. Eye Make-Up Remover
12. Eyelash Adhesive
13. Eyelash Curler

Obviously not all of these are important and/or used often, but there are a lot of products.

As for lipstick, there are also many lip products. Most aren't waterproof, but as they are waxy, they usually stay on in water for a bit. There are lip stains, waterproof lipsticks and long lasting lipsticks, but most are crap. They're making better stains nowadays, but I still prefer the normal lipstick...and just reapply often. It's a single stick, usually, but you can do multiple layers to change color and such. You can also use lip liner first, maybe even lip primer or chapstick, and then possibly lip gloss after. As for application, there's really no "right" way to do it. You can wipe it on directly from the stick, put it on with a brush, etc... And you usually apply it to both top and bottom and rub them together a bit (or smack them together) to make sure they're evenly distributed. I usually use a brush to apply it to bottom and top, smack them together a bit and then apply lip gloss on top. I'm addicted to lip gloss. Most girls can just use lip gloss day to day. Or tinted chapstick.

Caitlin

:o Sooo many products lol. Well then again, what did I expect of a billion dollar business.

Thank you for the explanations, they're very informative and useful. ;D

Clio

Quote from: Caitlin on July 10, 2012, 06:08:13 AM
:o Sooo many products lol. Well then again, what did I expect of a billion dollar business.

Thank you for the explanations, they're very informative and useful. ;D

You're very welcome. I'm happy to help. *smiles*

I'll be posting the zombie tutorial soon, but if anyone else has a request, then fire away.

Clio

Sorry for the delay, but I'm finishing up a filming for a feature. Today I have to bash some guy's face in and make a girl look like she's near death. Fun stuff. :)

SaturnCeleste

Hello!  Congratulations on your wonderful job!  I do have a question for you.  Are you familiar with the air brush makeup Temptu?
http://temptu.com/

I've seen it advertised and have read about the product and it has mixed reviews.  Most say they have trouble with clogging.  I must say I love the idea of air brushing my foundation as well as using the same color for my eyes, cheeks and lips, I have been doing that for years anyway.  I'm curious to see if you have heard of the product Temptu and of your opinion on air brushing makeup in general.

Thank you!
To some, steampunk is a catchall term, a concept in search of a visual identity. To me, it’s essentially the intersection of technology and romance. – Jake von Slatt
Saturn Reads Tarot (Free) & E*rotic Readings,
Lickable Limericks, Saturn's Celestial Void, Saturn's Celestial Sojourn

kaz

Hey Christa, never knew you did this.

My oldest daughter is about to begin a two year foundation degree in 'Hair and Make Up for theatre and media'. Shes going to be learning special effects, wig making, cat walk make up and loads of other things.  They cover a whole range.  Its great to hear someone is making a living from it, as a mum its a worry but she is really looking forward to it.

Looking to write.  Sometimes life catches up with me.  If it does I will be back...

jouzinka

Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A