An hour to midnight

Started by Lady Jenn, April 14, 2023, 12:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Jenn

As Kate began to regain consciousness she groaned. There was a stabbing pain in her arm and a tenderness in her ribs which felt like it signified nothing good. She slowly opened her eyes, finding herself staring into a night sky with a faint purple glow and frowned. It reminded her of something but...She groaned. She couldn't even figure out where she was, so she struggled to sit up, taking in her surroundings. She was dressed in a grey top and tight black trousers, although there was a tear in the left arm of her shirt through which she could see a barely healed cut.

"Fuck Kate," she muttered under her breath. "Why can't I remember anything?" She took in her surroundings, a fairly normal street with small houses and well-kept gardens, with no sign of anyone else out and about, not even a street sign to give some indication where to go. She looked next to her and noticed a folder marked 'emergency'. "Now would be a really good time to know if I'm in an emergency brain," she said irritably. When no answer was forthcoming she stumbled to her feet, picking the folder up as she did so. "Well...I guess I have to figure this shit out on my own then."

Golden Spider

It was a fairly normal spring night. It had been a bit warm for the season lately so Clara was out in a gray spaghetti strap tshirt and a pair of jeans, with a jacket wrapped around her waist in case the weather suddenly turned. She was out on her nightly sunset “W-A-L-K” with her best friend and confidant Ali. A beagle-poodle mix of about 2 years. She was just wandering along the street being on the tail end of the walk about a couple doors from home, her mind was churning through her list of To-Dos for the evening and following day “Gotta start on the meal prep tomorrow, maybe just a potato salad or something with a sandwich with the nice weather, or a light soup her thoughts continued in that matter until Ali started suddenly barking and pulling at the leash

Bark! Bark Bark! Arf! Arf Woof! Ali seemed to be barking at and agitated by something on the side of the road. Clara paid it no mind, assuming it was a squirrel or other small creature. Until she approached closer and realized it was actually a woman standing in the shadows along the road.

Clara jumped back slightly as she realized it was a person “oh! I didn’t see you there,” she chuckled to herself slightly “sorry about her, she can be an excitable one sometimes.” She bent down and picked Ali up “beautiful night huh?” She said then narrowed her eyes slightly “are you new around here? I don’t think we’ve met. Which is uncommon for a place this small,” she shuffled Ali to her other arm so she can offer a hand for a shake “I’m Clara.”
Here are my O/Os: http://bit.ly/1HmHtRE 

I have taken the Oath of the Drake: http://tinyurl.com/ptea68l

Lady Jenn

Kate nearly jumped, having been so lost in her thoughts that up to that point she hadn't even thought to notice there was someone else out and about. She couldn't help her eyes roving up and down Clara before she stopped herself, coughing awkwardly. 'Wow, real smooth Kate' Kate thought to herself.

She offered a hand, not noticing immediately that there was blood on her hand. "I'm..." She managed a light laugh. "It probably sounds insane but I don't actually know. I just woke up in the middle of the road with no idea..." She trailed off, something dawning on her. "You...You don't see anything weird in the sky do you? I must sound like I drank way too much." As she withdrew her hand she finally noticed the blood, moving her top to give the briefest glimpse of her toned stomach...and a noticeable gunshot wound. Her face went white. "I...I don't suppose you have a first aid kit somewhere do you?"

She wobbled slightly, nearly falling against Clara before she stopped herself. "I...sorry, I'm not normally like this."

Golden Spider

Clara took a step backwards as the other woman offered her hand. “Is that…” She swallowed and Clara’s friendly smile slowly turned to a frown as the other woman started rambling as she started talking about waking up and not knowing where they are. And then the sky? Clara looked upwards and didn’t see anything out if the ordinary. Just the usual expanse of dark blues and blacks, going to streaks of pink and orange on the horizon as the earth rotated on around taking them once more on the endless cycle of night to day to night.

Admittedly she did sound a bit drunk. And Clara bit her lower lip slightly in discomfort starting to look around for any possible aid away from this drunk woman if they started a scene. But of course it was almost night and everyone was in their homes.

And then the woman stepped further into the light and exposing a bit of her stomach which was clearly covered in blood and a bad looking gunshot wound. “Oh!” She exclaimed as the other woman also collapsed against her “y-your need a doctor or an ambulance!” Clara fished her phone out of her pocket. “Shit!” She swore as the screen flashed NO BATTERY she looked at the woman again, as weird as this situation was she couldn’t just let this woman likely bleed out alone when she could do something about it. “Come on my house is only a bit further lets get you inside”

Lady Jenn

For a brief moment Kate considered arguing, more out of a strange instinct than any real disagreement. But then she looked around herself. She had no idea where she was, was barely able to stay upright and wandering around aimlessly would likely only make her current condition about a hundred times worse. She leant against Clara without really thinking about it. "That'd be good. I promise I'll do what I can to repay you once I'm more able to do something."

She looked down at the folder in her hand, noticing that a corner of paper had briefly slipped out of the folder. As she went to slide it back in she frowned, catching a glimpse of 'Locate the Midnight Protocol'.

"I almost wish I was drunk," Kate said, staring at the floor for a moment as she nodded towards the folder. "This...thing was important enough for someone to give to me and tell me to save it for emergencies but...I've got no fucking idea what it means." She managed a wry laugh. "I know it's an insanely longshot, but I don't suppose you've heard of this...Midnight Protocol before?"

Golden Spider

Clara put an arm around her to help steady her as she leaned against her "Don't worry about that now let's just get you in and my phone charged and we can call you an ambulance" She started slowly leading her back to her house. "Well, maybe you're some sort of super Spy. 007 type," she quipped "Secret 'in case of emergency' folders and a codename like 'Midnight Protocol' that's like right out of some Cheesy blockbuster film with more explosions than any real plot"

Despite her door only being a couple of hundred feet away the journey felt like it took about 20 minutes, with the fact that Clara had to guide both a horribly bleeding woman, and an excitable pup, but likely only took about 5 at most. Eventually, though they arrived at 3506 Kingsbird Dr. aka home sweet home, after fumbling a bit with her keys, not wanting to let the woman go in fear that she may collapse completely, the door swung open to reveal a small entryway, clearly designed for donning and doffing coats, shoes, and other outerwear before heading into the building proper.

Clara lead her through the entryway, almost letting out a "shoes please" by habit before catching herself, and through the open archway into a warmly decorated living room, with walls a soft brown, just a shade darker from tan really, a couch, a couple of armchairs, all around a small coffee table in front of a fireplace with a mounted television. "sorry in advance" she said right before she rather unceremoniously dumped the woman onto the couch. She then knelt down beside the woman, and gently took off her shoes before moving her legs up onto the couch as well. "just... don't die on me while I find my first aid kit ok?"

Lady Jenn

"I can't be a very good spy if I'm bleeding all over you," Kate said, laughing before wincing as the effort made her side hurt. "I promise I'll make it up to you for this...somehow." She couldn't help looking at the other woman, finding herself drawn to the other woman. There were so many things she wanted to say, questions she wanted to ask...but she realized at that moment there was a bigger problem for her to focus on.

She made no attempt to resist Clara's help, admiring the house's interior as she was helped onto the couch and lying back letting out a sigh. She felt as if the answers to what was going on were in her mind somewhere, but it was out of reach. She found herself briefly closing her eyes, which caused her to see, for a moment, a flash of purple, making her jolt up, only to yelp at the pain.

She looked around, realizing Clara had left the room. "You have a really nice house," she called out. "I promise I'll try not to ruin your sofa cover." She looked around, accidentally finding herself looking for any sign of other people in the house. "Damn Kate," she said, chuckling quietly. "You just nearly died on the woman, let's not start chatting the poor girl up. There are more important things to worry about right now." She looked at the folder, sat on the table where she'd dropped it. "The hell is going on here?"

Outside, unseen by either woman, two smartly dressed men had suddenly appeared in the road, one bending down to examine the blood that Kate had left behind. His colleague, wearing a pair of grey sunglasses, was scanning their surroundings. "Calan, you told me this was where you sent her."

Calan stood up. "It was, but I can't detect any trace of her. We could go door to door and ask questions."

The bespectacled man shook his head. "We're supposed to not be drawing attention to ourselves. We should call this in."

With that the two men vanished, leaving no sign either of them had ever been there...

Golden Spider

Clara rushed back out at hearing her yelp in pain “I said don’t fucking die god damn it!” She hurried back over to the choice and knelt down again next to her, holding a small first aid kit. “You’re gonna need to take your shirt off so I can help you.” She said rummaging through her kit. Thankfully the county had paid for her to get first aid certified just in case an emergency happens at the library so she can help as much as possible until the ambulance got there. “I plugged my phone in as well, it’s gonna take a bit to charge but then we can call for an ambulance for you. I know a little first aid though but I don’t want to do more then disinfect the wound, don’t want to stitch it up if the bullet is still in there and that’s way out of my league.”

Despite the tense situation Clara still felt her eyes get stuck on admiring the woman’s toned stomach after she had removed the shirt. Clara shook her head to focus “okay this is going to sting a bit” she said before pressing the disposable disinfectant wipes to the wound.

Lady Jenn

Kate found herself blushing slightly at the fact she was lying on the woman's sofa in her bra. "Y'know, I don't usually let people get me naked this quick-Fuck," she yelped at the sensation as the wipes touched the wound, nearly swearing again before she stopped herself. "Bloody hell, you'd think I'd at least remember the whole being shot thing." She laughed again, although this time more to hide the amount of pain she was finding herself in. Though she wasn't sure why she was trying to act tough around Clara.

Her eyes fell on the phone in its charger. "Look, I..." She chewed her lip, feeling stupid that she felt so shy around someone she'd just met. "You might have just saved my life, but...I can't ask you to come to the hospital with me. I'm sure you've got a life to be getting on with, you don't need to be babysitting me." She reached out to stroke Clara's hand, at which point she noticed, or the first time, the bracelet on her wrist. On the top was an image that meant nothing to her, while underneath was the word "Help" and a number she couldn't decipher because it was too small. "Well, someone apparently tried to help me, I-" A hand went to her head, an intense pain hitting her as she saw the purple glow again. "Can...can you get me a glass of water?"

Golden Spider

Clara blushed slightly at the blatant flirting in her words “yeah? I thought you didn’t remember anything, how do you know you didn’t get shot by a scorned lover?” She retorted as she continues to clean the wound. Soon she was finished and carefully applied a bandage over the wound as well. She examined the bracelet as well as the woman held it out “well whoever it was did a bad fucking job to leave you with a gunshot wound” she stood up now as Kate asked for a glass of water. “Yeah of course. I’ll be right back. Wish I could give you some pain relief but all I have is Ibproufen and that can make it worse”

Clara went to the kitchen and after some rummaging found a package of disposable cups and filled one with water. Returning to Kate she handed her the water and helped her sit up slightly so she can drink it easier. “I thought it was better to give you a cup you couldn’t break if you accidentally dropped or knocked it over. And don’t even think that I’m going to let you go to that hospital yourself. I may not even know your name but I couldn’t live with myself if I did that. Besides they will want to ask me some questions since i was the one that found you. Especially since you’ve been shot.”

Lady Jenn

Kate had laid back and rested her head against a cushion, but opened her eyes again as soon as she heard Clara enter the room. She sat up as much as her pain levels would allow her, taking the cup from her. "I honestly don't blame you. And to correct my oversight," she said, leaning over to kiss Clara's hand. "The name is Kate...unfortunately I can't remember my surname. Or...much else about me."

As she drank she found herself watching Clara, feeling torn. On the one hand, somewhere in the back of my mind, it felt like she should protect Clara from whatever she was involved in. On the other hand right at that moment the kind woman was the only person she had to speak to. "This is going to sound insane but...when I woke up, there was a streak of purple in the sky. I thought I imagined it but I keep seeing flashes of it." She let out a brief laugh. "I probably sound like I'm hallucinating, on top of everything else."

Golden Spider

Clara smiled and flushed slightly “nice to meet you Kate, well in any other situation probably having you bleed over my couch puts a damper on things.” Clara sat down on one of her armchairs.

“Well I don’t want to say crazy but I didn’t see anything. You said you can’t remember anything so who’s to say you don’t have a major concussion or something. Another reason for the hospital.” She checked her phone again to find it finally with a tiny sliver of battery “finally!” She picked up her phone and dialed the emergency line “yes hello? I found a woman collapsed on the side of the road, she seems to have been shot… yes address is…” she continued telling the 911 operator everything that had happened. And before a half hour later the ambulance was screamed up to her door

Lady Jenn

Kate didn't listen to the 911 call, finding her mind drifting as she lay on the couch. She could feel a growing sense of unease though. Not because of Clara, she felt safe in her house. But...something in the back of her mind was causing her to have a growing feeling of concern.

She was quiet till the call ended. "Hey, could you..." She chewed on her lip for a moment. "This'll sound weird, but could you come in the ambulance with me? I just...I could do with a familiar face with me when I go in the ambulance." Although she was doing her best to give the impression of being calm and relaxed she was shaking slightly. Not due to illness or side effects, just out of panic. 'Get a hold of yourself' she thought to herself. 'The poor woman probably already can't wait to be rid of you.'

Golden Spider

Clara frowned slightly and absentmindedly reached over and gently touched Kate's hand with her own. "I'm not sure if they will let me, but if they do I will." She watched Kate for a moment before noticing her shaking a bit "Are you cold? one sec I'll see if I can find a blanket" She got back up and walked off again, into a hallway searching for her blanket stash "And one I don't mind getting all bloody at that" she murmured to herself.

As she did so, probably somehow naturally intuiting that the part where she needed to stay out of the was was well over Ami padded over to Kate on the couch and sat down in front of her, starting to lick her fingers that were hanging over the couch side.

Soon Clara returned as well with a blanket that was a dark brown color, and extremely soft. "here ya go," She said laying the blanket down on top of her "I see Ami likes you too."

Lady Jenn

Kate was glad for the distraction of the dog, welcoming her attention with a warm smile. Having quickly realized using her injured arm would cause her more issues than it was worth, she reached across and scratched the top of Ami's head, for the first time since she had woken up in the street relaxing slightly.

She was surprised at how wonderful the blanket was as it draped over her. But for the fact she was certain she should stay awake she would've closed her eyes. "Well I like Ami too." She flashed a cheeky smile at Clara. "I'm hoping Amy's not the only one who..." She couldn't finish the sentence, a wave of pain hitting her so strongly she was doubled over, a hand to her head. "It's...It hurts so bad."

Golden Spider

Clara returned her smile and then frowned as Kate was obviously seized by another wave of pain "I'm sorry, the ambulance should be here soon I-" She cut off as at that moment the sound of said ambulance screamed down the street before stopping outside her house. She hurried to meet them at the door, and stood aside as they did their job with securing Kate and getting her loaded up. Holding Ami to keep her out from underfoot.

"well I just found her there, she said she couldn't remember anything, just her name Kate, and after I realized she was shot I brought her in and did a little first aid, I'm trained in it as the librarian. I just disinfected it and put a bandage on it, didn't want to risk stitching it up or anything else in case the bullet is still in there, other then that she seems fairly lucid. but said she was seeing strange flashes of light, accompanied by bad headaches." she said to the Ambulance doctor. "Is uh.. there room in the back? she asked me to go with her, I don't really know her at all, but I cant just let you take her off and forget the whole thing, I wouldn't be able to live with myself."

Lady Jenn

The two doctors shared a look, before the older of the two offered a sympathetic smile. "Of course you can, they might need to you to wait outside when you get there though, they'll want to check her over." She headed towards the cab were her colleague had already climbed in. "Another person seeing lights? That's the third..." the conversation trailled off as the door closed.

Kate was drifting in and out of consciousness, only vaguely aware of where she was, nevermind what she was saying. "Ankar...the Protocol...they killed..." She knew more than she realized...not that her mind seemed capable of realising it. "Clara...need to...Clara..." She made a half-hearted attempt to sit up but was strapped in too securely for it to be remotely successful."

Golden Spider

Clara nodded "Of course, I understand that completely, I just want to make sure she's taken care of." she joined the EMTs and they all climbed into the Ambulance and they made their way onwards. Clara noted the fact that others had had similar experiences, but filed it away for later, she just wanted to make sure Kate was alright at the moment>

Turned out it is a good thing that Clara joined the EMTs and kate in the ambulance as halfway into the trip Kate started muttering and thrashing, saying various random things but mainly calling her name. Clara took her hand as she trashed and called for her "Shh, its ok Kate, Its Clara, I'm right here, It's ok, you're safe" she put her other hand gently on her shoulder to try to stop her from trashing and sitting up "you're in the ambulance now, just relax and let the nice folk do their jobs"

Lady Jenn

Although Kate showed no signs of realizing Clara was there she relaxed at Clara's touch. After a brief indecipherable groan she finally lost consciousness, although she seemed relatively peaceful. The quiet was almost serene as they finally reached the hospital, the EMTs wheeling Kate into the ER while a kind nurse found Clara a seat as close to the room as she would be allowed.

Occasionally the door opened enough to give a glimpse of her treatment, including a brief sight of a male doctor injecting something into her arm while the rest of the staff were distracted with other things.

Finally, after what seemed an eternity, the doctor was the final one to leave the room. Although he was dressed like any doctor on shift would be there was a strange glow visible in his eyes. He offered Clara his hand. "She's lucky you found her, we managed to remove the bullet and bandage her wounds. We do want to keep her under observation for the night but you can spend some time with her at least. Just press the call button if you need anything." He started walking away, placing something in his pocket as he did so. Meanwhile, in the room, Kate was alive, but she was lying completely still on the bed, fully unconscious and seeming completely lost to the world.

Golden Spider

Clara nodded "Thanks doctor." she said not noticing the unusual glow in his eyes. Clara made her way into Kate's room and sat on one of the chairs next to the bed. Clara stayed there for a couple of hours, only leaving to buy some entertainment (some crappy romance novel from the hospital gift shop), grab some coffee and snacks from the vending machines, and step outside to make some calls, letting her boss know she wouldn't be able to make it to work today, and asking a neighbor to make sure Ami was fed and walked if she didn't make it home by the evening.

Clara really couldn't say why they stayed there with Kate, even years after, the line she kept using of "just being a good samaritan" stopped being reasonable once Kate was in the hospital, but Clara still remained, even to the point of the now entire exciting and scary night caught up with her and she fell asleep herself in the hospital chair.

Lady Jenn

Kate woke up slowly at about 5am, still feeling mildly groggy but thinking clearly enough that she saw Clara next to her. She pulled Clara's hand to her mouth, kissing her knuckles gently without a second thought. "Thank you," she said quietly. It was then that she saw the folded piece of paper on the stand next to her bed. Not able to see anyone else in the room she opened it.

Hospital compromised. You and Clara are in danger. Call this number

Kate's blood ran cold. She might not remember much but she felt a rush of fear the woman next to her might be in danger because of her. She took a moment to consider her options but she knew her only options. She shook Clara gently. "Clara, don't panic but...I think we need to get out of here." Even as she said it she couldn't hide her own growing alarm.

Golden Spider

Clara moaned slightly as Kate shoved her, waking her up "mm, wha-?" Clara, flushed slightly realizing she fell asleep in the chair. "what? leave? no no kate, it's okay" she said taking her hand. "I know it's scary but you're safe here, the doctors know what they're doing, they can help you. Are you feeling better at all? maybe I should call the nurse" She leaned over for the call button

Lady Jenn

"Clara, someone left this," Kate said, passing her the note. "They must've done it while we were both asleep, I just need-" She started to stand up, only to have to sit straight back down after a wave of dizziness struck her. "The fuck? How do I feel worse in hospital than I did..."

She stopped as she caught sight of her reflection in the mirror. She checked it two, three, four times to be sure. "Clara, did you check what they were injecting me with? Because I can account for every injection site except this one." She pointed to a bruise halfway up her right arm.

Right where the doctor had injected her...

Golden Spider

Clara shook her head as she read the note "what the fuck? Maybe you actually are some sort of super spy." she bit her lower lip. "who would've done this, maybe they're just trying to scare us?" Clara shook her head again "no I didn't even if I asked I wouldn't have understood anything, I know books not medicine, you think someone drugged you to make it harder to run?"

Lady Jenn

She chewed her lip, at that point wishing more than ever her memory would sort itself out. "My guess? I don't think you were supposed to find me. They were relying on you leaving me here and if I was too out of it on drugs to fight back..." She slammed her hand against the bed. "People are trying to kill me and I still have no damn idea why."

She found herself looking into Clara's eyes for a moment. "Look, I..." She paused. "I don't know what I'm walking into here. You've got a house, a dog, a life...If you wanted to walk away from this for your own safety I won't blame you." Her eyes drifted to Clara's lips for a moment, a desire to kiss the beautiful woman pushing at her mind. But she doubted the other woman would be interested. She wobbled as she got to her feet. "I'm going to guess waiting to be discharged isn't a great idea for me."

Golden Spider

Clara found herself entranced by Kate's gaze staring equally back into the other woman's eyes. "Well look, the note shows that they clearly know my name, I doubt they will leave me alone even if I did just walk away. Besides with the state you're in you won't last a minute." Clara also stood up. "fuck I have no idea how to safely remove any of this, so it may hurt a bit" she said as she rushed around the bed and disconnected all the various IVs and monitors from Kate, moving quicker as the various alarms and emergency beeps started going off. She then wrapped an arm around Kate's waist to keep her up and steady and lead her out of the room. "ok do you have a plan at all here? I don't have a car, I rode here with you in the ambulance, and its not like we have the time to wait for a taxi"

Lady Jenn

"Let's get out of here first," Kate said, closing her eyes for a moment to try and regain some composure. "This says to call the number, if someone is trying to protect us I'm guessing this number means something." Without a thought she took Clara's hand, leading her towards the door, only to freeze as she saw someone loitering nearby. Thinking quickly she pulled Clara away from the door, on impulse kissing her, intending to keep her quiet but finding herself enjoying it.

She quickly pulled away when there was the sound of the door opening, and a strapping young man stepped into the room, dressed in a dark coat over a khaki uniform. "Kate? Are you feeling okay?"

Kate eyed the man warily. "I've had one person try to kill me and another try to drug me, I'm going to need a reason to trust you." After a brief look out the door the man flashed an ID with a similar image to the one on her bracelet. "What the hell is going on here?"

The man sighed. "There's a car outside the hospital, it can get you two to a safehouse, but you're going to have to go now."

Kate looked at Clara. "Are you sure you want to come with me?"

Golden Spider

Clara's mind froze completely as she felt Kate's lips upon hers, all thoughts and worries, the whole stress of the situation was instantly replaced by the heat of her lips, and then before she could really even realize what was happening it was over. She was only somewhat aware of the man entering the room, Kate at first being guarded but then relaxing as the man showed her something on his wrist, conversing a moment, and kate then.. asking her a question?

Clara shook her head, trying to dispel the lingering thoughts on the kiss, the way it felt, the fact that she had only known this woman for a couple hours but a single kiss was enough to make her slightly dizzy "Sorry what? " she said blinking "Yes! yes, I'm coming with you." she then turned to the man "is there any chance we can pick up my dog Ami on the way? I know its dangerous but I don't want her to be alone."

Lady Jenn

He nodded. "Of course you can. You're going to need to do as I say though. Follow me, act as naturally as you can." He took a quick look at the state Kate was in. "Sorry, I'm aware that's probably easier said than done right now, but I can't wheel you out of here."

Kate leant on Clara. "You're just going to have to put up with me being slow. Whatever they injected me with is causing me problems." She followed him out, keeping a hold of Clara's hands and breathing a sigh of relief as there seemed to be no-one to stop them. "Do I want to know how you're getting us past security so easily Mr..."

"Jack," the man replied. "And no, all you need to know is right now there are at least a few people intending to keep you alive. Well, and your girlfriend obviously."

"That's not...she isn't..." Kate found herself intensely flustered at that moment, wanting the ground to open underneath her. "I'm sure she's got plenty of more attractive and interesting people than me to look after anyway," she said, more loudly than she had intended.

"Here we are," Jack said as they reached the door, where a black estate car was parked with its lights on. "I have to stay here, help cover your tracks as best I can. Fizz will get you to the safehouse."

A tall, African-American woman got out of the car just as Kate suddenly sagged against Clara. "Shit, Clara, you'd better help me get her in the back of the car," she said, taking Kate's other arm and placing it over her shoulder.

Golden Spider

Clara blushed when the man, Jack apparently as his name was, called Clara Kate's girlfriend, she didn't deny it though and didn't react at all beyond giving Kate an angry pinch at her words "you're plenty beautiful, and I assure you this night has been the most interesting one I've had in ages" she said quietly to her.

They soon eventually arrived at the car and Clara nodded to Fizz as Kate collapsed completely, almost knocking Clara down as well as the sudden full weight of Kate slumped against her. Clara nodded and with Fizz's help managed to maneuver Kate into the back seat, Clara sitting next to her. The front seat was open and available but Clara still sat in the back, wanting to make sure Kate was ok. She brushed Kates hair out of her eyes, before muttering "what the hell have I gotten myself into?" to herself before speaking out loud to Fizz "Jack said we can retrieve my dog Ami? and How the hell do you people know who I am?"

Lady Jenn

As soon as Fizz knew they were secure she pulled out, briefly looking back to check they weren't being followed. "Ideally it wouldn't have needed you to be involved," Fizz replied. "Kate was supposed to be..." She paused, realizing there were some things it wasn't her job to talk about. "She was supposed to be somewhere Jack or I found her, but something must've gone wrong. I'm glad she found you though, you make a cute couple," she said, giving Clara a cheeky wink.

It wasn't long before they arrived at Clara's house, Fizz grabbing the keys and coming back quickly with Clara's dog. "Should I be flattered your dog seemed to almost be happy to see me?" Fizz said with a chuckle as she handed Ami to Clara. She took a glance at Kate, who had lost consciousness entirely. "Clara, keep an eye on her, why the fuck did Jack let them sedate her so heavily before he got you out of there?"

She clambered back into the front seat and took off with as much speed as she could manage without drawing police attention. She chewed her lip for a moment before speaking again. "I should...warn is probably the wrong word, but...Kate isn't from our Earth. The fact she doesn't remember that is...alarming."

Golden Spider

Clara blushed again and Fizz called them a couple but again didn’t argue the point, preferring to just ignore the statement entirely. Soon they arrived back at her house and Clara quickly gave fizz the keys so they could retrieve her pup.  Clara chuckled as well “she’s always happy to see anyone.” She nuzzled into Ami’s fur, laughing as Ami attacked her face with licks. “She’s a good girl, thank you for letting me get her. It means a lot.” They drove on for a while, Clara sitting mostly in silence while she digested the newest turn of events. Earlier this evening all she had to worry about was when the next order of books would be arriving, chasing down late fees, and taking care of Ami, now she was off to some safe house with a woman she she met on the ground in front of her house with a gunshot wound in her stomach. Said woman was now drooling on her shoulder soundly conked out from whatever sedative they had given her in the hospital, with Ami curled up in her lap.

Then Fizz spoke up again saying something that probably would’ve shocked Clara more earlier this evening. Maybe it was slightly her brain shutting down refusing to process any emotion after the gut punch of sudden world changing news that she was given over the last hour or so. “So she’s what? an alien? Wait I kissed an alien? How is that possible?  Are you an alien?”

Lady Jenn

"No, she's human," Fizz replied. "You could run every medical test known to man on her and you'd see exactly what you'd expect. She's..." Fizz paused, drumming her fingers against the steering wheel. "The multiverse is real, and Kate comes from one of the Earths. My boss Nikita would be able to explain this better than I can, at least she has pretty pictures to show."

A red traffic light caused them to stop, as Fizz looked down at the folder she'd retrieved from Clara's house. "If you want to know more about her I can give you the file she came with, but..." She let out a sigh. "I can tell she likes you, and she may prefer you examine the folder together." As the light went green they started moving again. "We're about twenty minutes from the safe house so it won't be long."

Golden Spider

Clara frowned again at Fizz’s words, she definitely wanted to know more, but was fine with waiting for this Nikita who had more of a complete picture. She looked down at Kate again while absentmindedly petting Ami. “I appreciate the offer. But yeah if it’s a big of a deal as you are implying then I will wait to look through it with Kate, will she be alright?”

After the other woman answered though Clara relaxed into her seat. It seemed like they were safe for the moment. And soon Clara had dozed off as well for the 20 minute drive

Lady Jenn

"She'll be fine," Fizz said, offering a reassuring smile. "If they'd given her worse than a sedative we'd have seen by now, although I'm sure Nikita will be keen to check her over to be sure."

When they arrived at the safe house, a large farmhouse out in the isolated countryside, Fizz ended up carrying both ladies into the largest room of the house, placing Clara and Ami on a large, comfortable sofa, while carrying Kate over to a medical table where a tall, red-haired woman was waiting. For a few moments the woman, Nikita, checked Kate over in silence, before finally pulling a blanket over her to keep her warm, before turning to Fizz, not bothering to keep quiet and not bothering to check if Clara was awake first.

"The Midnight Order are becoming more brazen, even before...this," Nikita said, waving a hand in the direction of Kate. "We're supposed to have months before it starts and right now I'm thinking that might be dangerously optimistic."

Golden Spider

Clara had indeed awoken, just as she was being set on the couch. She sat up and rubbed at her eyes a bit, slightly impressed that Fizz had managed to carry her inside, not that she was relatively heavy, but also that she would have bothered when Fizz could have just shaken her awake. Clara stood up and loitered at the doorway, as Ami too hopped off the couch and began to explore her new surroundings. "Before what starts?"

Lady Jenn

"I'm sorry Nikita," Fizz said. "She was worried about Kate, it was easier to explain if she knew Kate wasn't from here."

Nikita sighed, rubbing her forehead. "No, you did the right thing. We'd have had to explain this eventually." She picked a device up from one of the lab worktops and clicked a button on it, waiting for it to load up. "Officially the organisation we belong to doesn't exist, but it exists on every Earth...at least, every one we've had contact with. We were set up because of this." The device finally switched on, displaying a sky streaked by the same purple light that Kate had seen. "This is currently invisible to most people who haven't crossed the fabric of between universes but more and more people are beginning to see it, because of a group who call themselves the Midnight Order. The same people who tried to attack Kate in the hospital."

"Almost nothing's known about the Order," Fizz said. "Partly because they operate almost exclusively in the shadows, but also because we have reason to believe they've been possessing victims with...some form of incorporeal entity. We were led to believe Kate had information that would shed more light on the group."

"Which would explain why the Order damaged her memory," Nikita said. "We thought whatever they were planning was months, perhaps even years away. But the more intense that glow becomes, the more we believe their plans are accelerating and the more likely..." She paused for a moment. "They are a hostile force Clara, an extremely dangerous one."

Golden Spider

Clara nodded. It was surprising sure, but it all make a certain sense, especially given the events of the day. "and do we have any idea of what their goal is? and if they are possessing people how do we know I'm not one of them, or how do we know any of you aren't? How do I fit into all this? Fizz and Jack seemed like they knew who I was already, though I suppose if you're some sort of secret extra-governmental task force you would have the resources" She rattled off questions getting closer to the bedside. subconsciously taking Kate's hand in hers as she looked over the display. "To be honest its rather a beautiful sight. But from what you're saying its anything but benign"

Lady Jenn

"We did basic background checks in the surrounding area," Nikita replied. "But it was intended to be just to ensure we weren't being spied upon. Considering you save Kate's life I'm glad she found you and we were able to rescue you both. As for their goal..." Nikita shrugged hopelessly. "Right now your guess is as good as mine, any attempt to interrogate them has failed miserably."

There was suddenly a choked sob from where Kate was lying as she woke up, tears in her eyes. "I couldn't...she died to help me reach here."

Nikita looked at her. "Kate? What do you..." She trailed off, closing her eyes. "Oh...oh Kate, I'm so sorry, I didn't know. I hadn't even thought to ask." She turned to Fizz. "Grab the bedding from the spare room, I think it'd be best if Clara sleeps down here tonight."

Fizz frowned. "What do you mean?"

"Kate is grieving," Nikita replied. "And right now I think she'd rather have Clara here than us." When Fizz had left the room Nikita turned to Clara. "I forgot, when we were told to expect Kate we were told...She had a twin sister, one who was supposed to come with her." She took a look at both of them. "If you need anything in the night just give us a shout, I don't mind." With that she left the room.

Golden Spider

Clara gripped Kate's hand tighter as what she and Nikita has said registered in her head "I'm so sorry Kate." She whispered knowing that it wouldn't be enough, wouldn't really be anything, but hoping at least that her presence here and the feeling of Clara's hand in hers would at provide at least a slight bit of comfort.

Before too long though Fizz and Nikita had retreated up to their own rooms in the farmhouse, leaving Clara and Kate alone on a makeshift spread on the floor, It wasn't the most comfortable thing but being able to provide some comfort for the woman who had somehow become very important to her in the space of a night meant more than that at the moment, Ami had also, with the kind of 6th sense that dogs often have, realized Kate's mood and had padded over and after some kisses to the face had curled up next to kate as well. "So uh, tell me about your world? It's kinda amazing, the multiverse being real and all, what are the differences there? Are apples orange? did the Soviets reach the moon first?" She was hoping some idle chat would help, but more than that her curiosity just couldn't be sated any longer

Lady Jenn

Kate couldn't help a giggle, the pain of remembering the loss eased to an extent by the beautiful woman in front of her. Before she answered she petted Ami, before pulling Clara into a kiss, that she allowed to last for several moments before she let go again.

"I really wish I could say my Earth was full of flying cars and robot servants," she said with a laugh, brushing a loose hair from Clara's face. "It's mostly pretty similar to here, although it's mostly peaceful, but..." She paused, seeming distant for a moment before continuing. "We were the first planet the Order attacked. It was before I was born but I know it was devastating enough that they started trying to find a way to contact other universes."

Golden Spider

Clara kissed her back eagerly and smiled as she brushed her hair out of her eyes "That's horrible, I'm sorry. how did you get mixed up in all this, if your memories are coming back it seems." she cuddled closer to Kate putting an arm around her "And how do you do it? Travel the multiverse that is, ooh tell me you have some cool name for it like 'jumping' I guess saying you were a super spy actually wasn't that far off then"

Lady Jenn

Kate sighed as she cuddled closer, resting her head on Clara's shoulder. "I can't really tell you much about how it works. This was supposed to be my first mission, but it...obviously went very, very wrong." She fell silent for a moment. "I think I saw them. The creatures the Order are trying to summon. There was a brief period between me entering the portal and waking up on your street where I saw...something. I'm not sure how easily I can describe them though."

Golden Spider

Clara nodded “that’s perfectly fine. I think I would rather not you describe an eldritch abomination that will give lovecraft a Hard-on, I’d rather sleep tonight” she joked. “Well regardless of what happens you’ll have me, and Ami, I don’t exactly know how any of this works. But I’m kinda part of it anyways now, so I guess now would be the time for the epic training montage if this was a cheesy 90s movie. Im serious though, I want to help as much as I can.”

Lady Jenn

"I'd like that," Kate said, running a hand down the side of Clara's face. "I know it's silly considering it feels like we only just met, but I already feel like I never want to let you go."

She yawned slightly, before giggling. "Wow, I've been out cold for more than an hour and my body wants to go back to sleep again. I don't understand myself sometimes." She kissed Clara again, smiling as Ami snuggled up to them. "I think Ami agrees. We can tackle everything in the morning, for now I just want you to stay with me while we sleep."

Golden Spider

Clara smiled and gave Kate a quick kiss. "I think I feel the same way." she snuggled up again against Kate. wrapping her arms around her stomach, giving Ami a couple of scritches as she did so. "there's nothing I'd rather do than sleep with you." she said she paused as she went completely red, realizing the implications of her words. Glad in the moment that Kate couldn't see her face

Lady Jenn

Kate stifled a giggle, blushing slightly herself as she snuggled closer. "Well, let's get to know each other a little better before that happens shall we?"

Kate wasn't sure when they had fallen asleep, she was only aware when Nikita's voice rang out from the kitchen next door. "Much as I enjoy the cuteness it's time for you girls to eat," she called out. "Plus we need to discuss our next move."

Kate sighed. "C'mon sleepy head, we have to get up."

Golden Spider

Clara had an initial burst of slight panic, waking up on a rather uncomfortable blanket on the hard floor, in a strange place, with her arms wrapped around a warm body. But quickly as the sleep departed the memories of everything that had happened the previous night came rushing back to her. As Nikita's voice came from the other room Clara whined sadly and held on tighter to Kate, not wanting to wake up and leave the warm bed. But when Kate, joined in the calls to wake up, she sighed "Fine, as long as there's coffee." she said sitting up and blearily rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. "and bacon." She stretched and walked into the kitchen, nodding to Nikita and Fizz "I suppose it's too much to hope that you also managed to grab some clean clothes when you picked Ami up too?"

Lady Jenn

Fizz let out an embarrassed laugh. "Sorry, I hadn't thought of that. We have plenty of clothes here though. We actually thought we'd have a sizable team at one point."

"Dreams are a wonderful thing," Nikita said, sighing as she set coffees in front of them. "I feel like we should start with proper introductions. I am Nikita Koraleyva, as you can probably guess my parents were Russian emigres, I've been here the longest of everyone. Felicity-"

"I've told you before Nik, no-one calls me that," Fizz said, laughing.

"Fine, Fizz McCartney here is ex-CIA, she got roped in after she stumbled across another traveller." There was the sound of the door opening then being slammed shut, and a vaguely familiar, messily haired young man stepped through the door. "Ah Jake, nice of you to join us. Fizz told me about your...interesting strategy with Kate last night."

He awkwardly scratched the back of his head. "Ah...yeah, sorry about that Kate, Clara, I'm glad to see you're okay."

Golden Spider

Clara nodded and took a deep sip of her coffee, nodding again to both of them as they were introduced. "wait Fizz met a traveler? Like me and Kate? Or you met one of those... Things you mentioned?"

in the silence that followed Clara jumped slightly when the front door suddenly slammed, it was only that Fizz and Nikita did not seem fazed in the slightest that kept her from grabbing Kate's hand and finding someplace to hide, thinking that the forces they mentioned last night had somehow found them. She was relieved when it appeared to only be Jake. "I don't really know what about it was so unusual apart from literally everything, I don't usually find myself in an action movie, but no problem, you got us out of there."

Lady Jenn

"Another traveler from across the multiverse," Fizz said, pointing at Jack. "Luckily we can't blame his clumsiness on anything here."

Jack sighed. "Okay, I probably deserved that one. I did find something though," he said, sitting on one of the other stools and producing a photo. It was a photo of a paramedic and what looked like a doctor having a conversation outside the side door of the hospital.

"And this matters...why?" Kate asked, looking between Jack and the photo.

"Because I took this at three in the morning," he replied. "And at least one of the people in this photo was reported missing four months ago, just after the scar in the sky started glowing brighter."

Golden Spider

Clara looked between Jack, the photo and everyone else, trying to keep track and follow everything "So that means that they were possessed or mind controlled or replaced or whatever by these things?" Clara looked down at her coffee again. "right well this seems like like a big conversation to have over just coffee. everyone like eggs?" Clara got up and walked around the kitchen, poking around to find where everything is. but quickly with some assistance she got a simple breakfast of scrambled eggs and toast up and running

Lady Jenn

"It could be any of those," Nikita said with a sigh. "Unfortunately one thing our enemy is very good at is not leaving an obvious trail to follow."

There was an appreciate hum from Fizz as she tasted Clara's breakfast. "Oh, this is lovely, thank you Clara." She ducked under a playful swipe from Nikita. "Honestly Nik, I love your food, it's just nice to have a bit of variety every once in a while." She turned to Clara. "How about you ask us any questions you have? I can appreciate this is a bit much to try and get your head around."

Golden Spider

Clara waved her hand at the compliment "Thank you, but it's nothing special just some eggs and toast" Once everyone had a plate she made one for herself and the kitchen was quiet for a moment as they all dug in, and Clara tried to gather her thoughts as well. "Honestly it's so big that I don't even know where to begin, How does traveling the multiverse work? are there really infinite worlds as is hypothesized? why do these things want to invade do badly? How do we stop them, and how do we know who is who?"

Lady Jenn

Nikita and Fizz shared a look before Nikita spoke. "I wish I could give better news but...the last two questions we don't have any kind of knowledge about. Jack and Kate will know more about the other two questions."

"There are at least twenty universes we're aware of," Jack said. "Although we've yet to actually receive any contact from four of them, whether our enemy have attacked already or they just don't possess a way to contact us..." He shrugged. "Your guess is as good as mine. As for how I got here, my universe had a...A transport pod is the only way to describe what I used, but some sort of disaster on a previous attempt meant they had me sedated for the trip."

"Mine gave it the sexy name of 'transdimensional gateway'," Kate said. "But let's call them what they were: wormholes. Wormholes that, as best I understand, no-one could explain the origins of."

Golden Spider

Clara looked between all of them slightly incredulously. "so you mean that we don't know who they are, how to find them, what they want, or how to beat them?" Clara stood up abruptly at this point and started pacing the kitchen "Do you even have a plan? or know where to start in the first place?" Clara stopped and just stood there facing the wall for a couple minutes. Everything they had told her was so larger than life, and they were just as lost and confused as she was, it was hard not to feel the panic. "what am I doing here?" she whispered to herself

Lady Jenn

Nikita sighed. "Fizz, show her the message."

"Nikita, that's not-"

Nikita stopped her. "No, she's right, we should show her everything we have. And that message is why this all started." Fizz disappeared, returning with a small holo-projector. "We've never been able to trace the origin of this message, and it appears that universes received this at different times." She pressed a button on its side, and although there was no visual the voice was clear...and strangely faimilar.

The wraiths have burned the darkness away. They will not stop here. Your multiverse will die if you don't joi-

It was a stunned Kate who finally spoke. "That...that sounded like me. That's not possible, surely?"

Golden Spider

Clara turned around to face everyone. "great so that's another question that we have no answer to I assume? Some sort of Alternate-Universe Kate duplicate or something probably. What is the rest of the message? Join? join what?" Clara continued to pace. "In the end though what does that change, we still have no plan and no idea what we are really up against"

Lady Jenn

"We might have a place to start," Jack, who had been scrolling on his phone, said. "I'd been trying to see if there was any more information I could rustle up to help us, and I came across...this."

Kate took the phone from him, letting out a laugh. "Now that's curious. Someone claims to have been...'borrowing' technology from another universe. I'm guessing he's not one of yours?" Nikita shook her head. "Well, he's in Los Angeles, and..." She froze. "We may really need to take a look, anyone else noticing his eyes?"

She put the phone in the middle of the group. On it was a slightly messy looking young man wearing a band t-shirt...and with a very noticeable purple tinge to his eyes.

Golden Spider

Clara stopped pacing and rejoined the group at the table. "Okay, well that makes me feel a bit better now that we seem to have a slight plan beginning. LA is a ways away though, is it safe to take a flight? They're looking for Kate and I right? but we may be the best people to convince this guy instead of some random mysterious super spies, no offense. And well, I'm a librarian, I can't fight or whatever if we get into danger"

Lady Jenn

"I can train you to fight if you want," Kate said, squeezing her hand before glaring at Jack as he tried to stifle a giggle. "That wasn't an innuendo, I may not be a specialist, but I know enough to at least make sure Clara can defend herself if needed."

"Luckily I have a friend who can give you two a flight over there," Fizz said. "And he's an old CIA contact of mine so he's used to doing me favours without asking too many questions. I could call him now if you wanted, especially if we've got less time than we thought."

Kate looked at Clara. "What do you think?"

Golden Spider

Clara nodded "Then it sounds like a plan, and I would love some fighting pointers, If I'm gonna be a part of this I need to be able to handle myself. Should we start now while Fizz makes the arrangements?"

A couple minutes later, after Clara had changed into some spare clothes she found in one of the bedrooms that looked a little more flexible and more suited for exercise than her current, rumpled clothes that she was still wearing from when she first ran into Kate, electing to forgo a shower at the moment in the idea that she would just take one after they were finished, she stood on a grassy patch of the long backyard to the farmhouse. "so how do we start?"

Lady Jenn

Kate had a quiet word with Nikita before following Clara outside. Although she hadn't changed clothes she had stripped down to her undershirt and tied her top around her waist.

"I promise this isn't some kind of distraction tactic," she said with a chuckle. "Now, why don't we start by you showing me what you're capable of. Attack me," she said, spreading her arms wide to show she had no hidden weapons or anything else. "I promise you can't seriously harm me, and if you were about to I'd call a timeout anyway." She couldn't help finding herself admiring Clara's body, she had to remind herself to concentrate on the training rather than getting too distracted.

Golden Spider

Clara bit her lower lip as she stood before Kate “if you’re sure” she said before examining Kate in detail, looking for any openings or weaknesses. She hadn’t had much or well any kind of self defensive or combat experience, at least nothing beyond watching tv and movies. And maybe the odd one off self defense class years ago that just basically amounted to “run if you can, knee ‘em in the junk if you can’t and then run.” But one thing that Clara was was intelligent and the only obvious weakness or opening she could see was the obvious one, The gunshot wound, so before she could let her thoughts dissuade her she trusted what Kate had said about not being able to actually hurt her, and threw a wild punch towards the stomach wound

Lady Jenn

Kate acted for a few moments as if she hadn't even seen Clara move, staying perfectly still until the punch was inches away from her, at which point she caught it with one hand, using the other to spin her so that Clara's back was pressed up against her. "That's a smart idea, unfortunately it's still tender enough I'm not leaving it wide open."

She stole a quick kiss before releasing Clara again. "How you pull this off depends on what you want. I'm trained to kill someone without a weapon but...I'm going to guess that's a few too many steps for how you want to be trained." This last comment she said more reassuringly than out of criticism, wanting to help Clara relax a little.

Golden Spider

Clara knew that it was a slim chance that she would ever have hit, but still the pace that she went from throwing the punch to feeling Kate’s body pressed up against her back, to being kissed and then released with a push back to their own personal spaces still threw her for a loop. Probably for a good thing as she wasn’t able to focus on it for longer then a second before she shook her head and squared up again. “Uh yeah i would prefer not to kill people, maybe just knock them out?” She said suddenly feeling overwhelmed again by the fact she was standing getting combat training and talking nonchalantly about killing people when a day ago she was just an ordinary person living an ordinary life. But that too was squashed away to focus on learning all that Kate could teach before they had to catch their flight

Lady Jenn

Kate thought deeply, trying to avoid giving advice that sounded so simple that Clara might think her patronising. She stepped close to Clara, resisting the urge to take her hand. "If you grab someone by the wrist, pull their arm behind them and elbow them in the back they're likely to at the very least fall to their knees."

She was about to give into the urge to kiss Clara again when there was a shout from Fizz. "The plane's waiting for us if you guys are ready to go."

Kate sighed. "We'll have to continue this later. We have..." She reached out and touched Clara's hand. "I feel like we have a few things to talk about."

Golden Spider

Clara nodded thinking through, trying to visualize what Kate had told her, but before they could actually put it into practice or do anything else Fizz came along to tell them everything was ready. "Can I get a shower real quick? Haven't had one since before work yesterday" She was only half sure of her math, it was early evening when she ran into Kate, probably around 8 or 9 when the ambulance arrived, midnight or so when she fell asleep in Kates's room, and after that everything was a blur, was it only 2 or 3 am when they fell asleep on the floor last night. or was it closer to 4 or 5 after they had spent all that time talking? But regardless the fact that she needed a shower was undeniable, not that she smelled, at least she didn't think she did, but she could feel the physical weight of the last undetermined number of hours of grime on her.

After promising to make it quick, Clara went off to take a shower, and before too long once again found herself in Fizz's car, heading towards the airplane and Los Angelos

Lady Jenn

As Fizz drove them Kate reached out, stroking Clara's hand softly. "It feels like a stupid question but...how are you feeling right now?" she asked. "I realize I've been dealing with this most of my life and you've had this all thrown at you in less than 24 hours."

"Before I forget," Fizz said as they stopped at a set of traffic lights, "hopefully you guys won't have a problem while you're there, but in case you do take this." She handed Kate a business card marked Lena McCartney. "She's an...old friend, she has connections that any official agency would turn their nose up at, but right now I don't think we can afford to be too picky."

Kate raised an eyebrow. "So...she's your ex-girlfriend?" The blush that spread across Fizz's face at the question made Kate laugh. "Sorry, that's a bit too personal."

"It's fine," Fizz said with a sigh. "It was an amicable break-up anyway so I promise she won't slam the door in your face if you mention my name."

Golden Spider

Clara snorted with laughter "No kidding, I feel like I'm completely out of my depth. There's nothing special about me, I'm not some kind of super sexy alternate-universe hopping badass like the rest of you, I'm just the librarian who happened to come across a woman on the side of the road with a gunshot wound and my own morals decided I couldn't just leave you there, and now I'm here." Clara sighed and leaned her head against Kate's shoulder, wanting the physical closeness. "i- I'm scared Kate." she said quietly to her, almost as a whisper "this is so big, and I have no idea why you haven't just wiped my memories or whatever and sent me home, surely I'm nothing more then a liability"

Lady Jenn

"I'll keep you safe," Kate said, squeezing Clara's hand. "I know considering the state you found me in you might not believe it, but I can make quite a good bodyguard when it's needed."

"I should say we don't have the power to mind-wipe people," Fizz said with a snort of her own. "Believe me, there are a few people I would've loved to do that to, but we can't." They pulled up at an airfield, where a private jet was waiting, a kindly older man with greying hair waiting outside. "That's Marcus, you two need anything just ask him, he's quite possibly the nicest man I've ever met."

Golden Spider

Clara shook her head at Kates words "That's not what I.." but was cut off when Fizz spoke up "Wait so you can travel the multiverse but you can't wipe minds?" But again before the conversation to continue they had pulled up to the airstrip. Clara gave a friendly smile to Marcus "Hello Marcus, nice to meet you, thank you for helping us out here."

Soon after the Introductions were made they were led up to the cabin of the plane. to say it was a shock was an understatement, Clara wasn't sure exactly what she had expected but it certainly wasn't an A-class flight. Being as small stature as Clara is she usually got along fine with getting the cheapest seat she could find, which also meant the least leg room, which while was possible it certainly wasn't comfortable. "This is... wow. I've never actually seen a plane like this except in the movies."

Lady Jenn

"You can think my rich uncle," Marcus called out, before laughing. "That's not even a joke, my uncle owned a whole fleet of planes...for some reason...Most of them were too old to be useful, but this plane was useful and I had a pilot's license that wasn't doing a lot otherwise."

Kate cuddled up to Clara a little. "If you've got any questions or concerns please tell me. I'm sorry I've not asked you how you're doing enough, I'm sure the others would probably be more concerned if they weren't so rushed off their feet."

Golden Spider

Clara smiled at Marcus again "Well thank you for doing this anyways, I understand it was probably rather abrupt and sudden Fizz calling you."

A couple of moments later Clara and Kate were cuddling on one of the plane seats, Plane seats so big you can cuddle! Clara chuckled humorlessly again at Kate's words. "All I've got is questions and concerns, so many that I can't really even voice them. It's all crazy, especially well.." she paused, her cheeks going slightly red "Us... I'm going along with all of this because I trust you and I don't really even know why." She watched Marcus for a moment as he did all his pre-flight checks through the cockpit and cabin. "No offense, but I've only known you for slightly over 24 hours? but I feel like I can trust you with my life."

Lady Jenn

Marcus chuckled. "Honestly, I'm semi-retired. At this point if Fizz hadn't called me I'd be sat at home playing a video game or reading one of the books I own for about the thirtieth time, I appreciate the distraction."

"I know what you mean," Kate said, offering a reassuring smile. "Hell, look at what I did: I woke up in the middle of a road I didn't recognise, with a gunshot wound, and just assumed the first person I bumped into was safe, I could've got myself killed then." She laughed. "I was going to say you can come rescue me anytime, but I'd hope I won't need rescuing again for a while...if ever."

Golden Spider

Clara laughed as well "I certainly hope I never have to rescue you again as well, but I would argue I didn't rescue you in the first place, just helped a stranger in need." It was only moments later that Marcus' voice came over the PA speaker "Alright you two, we are ready to launch. We'll have you in sunny California in no time."

Moments later they were taking off of the tarmac and soaring through the air. "How long is this flight going to be again?" Clara asked still resting her head on Kate's shoulder

Lady Jenn

"Three hours at most," Marcus replied. "Feel free to make yourselves comfortable, you'll find a tub full of food behind Kate's seat if you want something to tuck into."

Kate raised an eyebrow, looking where he suggested to find a large case which she opened, letting out a laugh. "Well, he definitely wasn't planning for a long haul flight. Look what his idea of an 'in-flight meal' is." She turned the case towards Clara to show that, while there were sandwiches and fruit, the majority of the contents was made up of sweets and chocolate."

Golden Spider

Clara giggled as Kate pulled out the boxes of mostly chocolate and fruit, with only a small amount of food with any actual substance. “I like this guy.” She laughed before grabbing a chocolate covered strawberry and biting into it. “Mmm” she moaned slightly in satisfaction “now I know I make a mean plate of eggs, but you really can’t beat chocolate.” She finished off her strawberry and offered one to Kate. “Might as well enjoy ourselves while we can for a couple hours right? As soon as we touch down we’re gonna be running around again.”

Lady Jenn

"Oh? And what exactly did you have in mind?" Kate asked, eating the strawberry before kissing Clara's fingers. "I'm not a big fan of joining the Mile High Club, I suppose we could see how long we can make all these sweets last," she said with a laugh. "Sorry, that sounded way less childish in my head I swear."

Golden Spider

Clara shoved Kate playfully "I never said anything about Mile high club. you with your mind in the gutter, sounds like you're fantasizing about me huh?" She teased back "I was talking about just relaxing for a bit with the sweets." she reached into the box again "open your mouth" she she asked Kate, then attempted to toss a M&M into her open mouth, when she did so, only for it to bounce off her nose

Lady Jenn

Kate laughed as she deftly caught the sweet, eating it before returning the favour...or trying to, although it bounced against the seat instead. "Wow, I hadn't realized my throwing skills were so awful. I need a bit of practice clearly." She sighed. "I have the single most important question for you to answer: what's your favourite sweet?"

Golden Spider

Clara thought for a moment as they continued to throw M&Ms at each other. "Honestly? my favorite is jellybeans, not so much regular ones, but those are good too, I love all the special ones that they come out with around Easter, Starburst etc. I know they are pure sugar, but I can never resist getting three or four bags around that time of year. I always say its to stock up and they will last me for a couple months, but they are then gone by May. How about you?"

Lady Jenn

She thought about it, tapping a finger against her lips as she considered her answer. "I had a friend who lived in England, who sent lots of sweets every six months because he claimed American sweets were terrible. There was one he sent me...have you heard of Creme Eggs?" she asked. "They get sold around Easter and they taste amazing, though good luck eating more than two at a time without feeling sick."

Golden Spider

Clara nodded "I've never had an English one just the American ones which probably don't taste the same, they are good, but not a huge fan of them, I agree that one is usually enough." She thought for a moment "here's another one of those stupid ice breaker questions, but we really don't know much about each other. if you had to eat only one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be? assuming that one thing provide all the nutrition you need magically or something"

Lady Jenn

"I'm happy to answer ice breakers," Kate said with a smile. "If I didn't want to answer the question I'd just say." She thought about the food question before answering. "My mum made the most amazing macaroni and cheese. Apparently it had an ingredient so secret she wouldn't even tell me or..." She paused, suddenly thinking of her sister. "Would you like to see a picture of my sister?"

Golden Spider

Clara paused, sensing the mood shift heavily. She took Kate’s hand “I’d love to, if you want to show me.” Trying to provide any comfort that the other woman needed. Clara wasn’t sure how Kate would react. It seemed to be something that she needed to do, but on the other hand it was also very soon after the loss in the first place, and especially with the pace that they had been going at lately the only other time that Kate seemed to have any moment to grieve was last night as they laid in the living room.

Lady Jenn

She sat next to Clara, putting her head on the other woman's shoulder as she scrolled through her phone. "I can't make a call on this, but I can at least...there it is." She handed the phone to Clara. On the screen was Kate, five years younger and looking slightly like a tomboy, and next to her, looking remarkably similar, was a girl with long blue hair, a warm smile directed at the camera. "Me and Marguerite looked so alike my mum's friends used to joke she'd had identical twins three years apart. She was..." She took a deep breath. "She would've liked you, I think anyway."

Golden Spider

Clara put her arm around Kate as she leaned up against her. Clara also started gently rubbing her back as Kate scrolled through pictures “I can certainly see the resemblance” she said softly “I’m sure I would’ve liked her too.” They sat there for another ten minutes or so, going through Kates old photos. At some point Clara took her phone out as well and showed some of her own photos, of Ami as a puppy, of her and her own sisters as teenagers at some sort of Halloween party, Clara in the middle dresses as Supergirl with a woman that was clearly recognizable as her older sister dressed as a witch and to her left another woman, who at first didn’t look much like the two with their her blonde hair to Clara and the second woman’s brown. But the facial features proved that she was related as well, dressed as a knight.

Lady Jenn

Kate laughed before stopping herself, feeling embarrassed. "Sorry, that probably seemed more rude than I meant it to. I only laughed because you look so cute and happy." She moved closer and kissed Clara on the cheek, lingering for a moment to enjoy the closeness. "I know I can be a bit...clingy sometimes so feel free to tell me to ease off anytime." Just as she was about to kiss Clara again the plane shook slightly, making her sit down hard. "Wow, the turbulence needs to work on its sense of timing," she said with a laugh.

Golden Spider

Clara laughed as well "Honestly that's why its one of my favorite pictures of us, its extremely silly, but that makes it unique and special" She was also enjoying the closeness and kissed Kate back "Don't worry, I'm liking it so far, and if you ever do I will let you know. I can actually be bit of an introvert sometimes well most times really. so there will probably be plenty of times where I will just need to zen out by myself for a couple hours" Clara said without really even realizing that she was already thinking of life with Kate after the craziness of this multiversal threat was over.

Clara then giggled slightly as Kate was forced back into her seat by turbulence. "well that proves that we aren't in a hallmark movie at least, because if we were the turbulence would've thrown you onto my lap instead" she joked, then realized a second later "wait does Hallmark mean the same thing in your world? or are they some action movie mega explosion movie studio there?"

Lady Jenn

"Oh, Hallmark is definitely a thing...sadly," Kate said with a sigh. "There's also a channel that makes the most cheesy low-budget TV sci-fi movies, which are a bit more up my street. If only because they're so terrible it's hard not to laugh."

Any further discussion was cut off by Marcus calling from the cockpit. "We'll be landing shortly ladies. There should be a shelf on the wall with a list full of taxi numbers, and don't worry, if they were dodgy they wouldn't be on my list. There's also my phone number so I can fly you guys back when you're ready."

Kate sighed. "Just as we were getting comfortable too, I suppose we do have work to be getting on with though."

Golden Spider

Clara sighed as well, quickly chowed down on one last chocolate-covered strawberry, and begun perusing the list of Taxis while also noting down Marcus' number "Yeah, but at least this gives us something to look forward to, some more quiet time on the way back." she decided after a moment to just take all the taxi numbers after all, they likely didn't need all of them, and would probably just pick at random, but it was probably a good idea to use a different company for every ride, try to make somebodies life a bit harder if they were trying to track them at all.

Before too much longer they had touched back down to the earth, and with all the red tape of touching down, even on a private plane, they were able to call a taxi and have it arrive while they were waiting and have it get there before they got off the plane. "Good afternoon ladies," the driver said in a surprisingly southern accent for LA, "where are ya heading?"

Lady Jenn

Kate was suddenly glad she'd been listening to Nikita before they left. "Do you know the little library near the edge East Los Angeles and Monterey Park? It's owned by a Doctor...Genner?"

"Doctor Gennaro?" the driver asked with a laugh. "Sure I know the place. I'll have you there in no time, get in.

They climbed in, Kate finding herself unintentionally reaching for Clara's hand. For whatever reason she felt safer doing this, especially as she'd never visited LA in her own world so the experience was a little daunting to say the least. They soon found themselves outside a library, flanked by a pair of clothes shops, and once Kate had paid the driver she led Clara inside, where a middle-aged, grey haired man was sat looking at a dusty medical journal.

Kate coughed. "Doctor Gennaro, we have a few questions to ask you."

The man sighed, but didn't look up from the page. "I explained to the last journalist, I have enough loyal customers to give me word of mouth to not need some wannabe celebrity hack writing an internet fluff piece."

Kate put a picture on the table, which was a blown up picture from Jack's phone, clearly showing the Doctor was one of the two figures. "Y'know, multiverse travellers get real good at spotting other hoppers like them, did you know that?"

The man's eyes went wide as he caught sight of the picture and attempted to get up and escape, only for Kate to pull a gun. "I really don't want to believe you've got anything to hide, so let's have a good talk shall we?" She turned to Clara. "Take his keyring, lock the front door, I don't want us being disturbed."

Golden Spider

Clara was a bit startled when Kate pulled a gun on the man, having expected them just to talk. She bit her lower lip but realized it was probably not the time to say anything or make it seem like they weren't a united front. Clara took the key ring, and locked the front door, before standing in front of it as well, out of Kate's way but still a presence in case she needed any help. "We don't want to have to hurt you, we just need some answers" she said forcing her voice to not show her nerves and instead come out collected and steely. It was a voice she had used before, but only ever in cases where someone had not wanted to pay late return fees or had been causing a ruckus in her library. this was an entirely new situation for her, but new situations had been pretty common lately.

Lady Jenn

"How could you possibly know I'm a traveller?" Gennaro asked, narrowing his eyes at Kate. "They told me no-one on my Earth would be able to detect it."

"One, I'm a traveller too," Kate replied. "And two, what do you...shit," Kate said under her breath. "They bribed you into helping didn't they? Do you have the slightest damn idea what you've done?"

Genaro put his hands up defensively. "I don't know what you mean, the Order promised me they would ask nothing in return for me gaining certain technological advances over the rest of my peers. Are you telling me lied to me?"

Kate laughed bitterly. "Either they lied to you or you're the stupidest damn criminal I've ever met." She pinched the bridge of her nose. "Doctor, those portals you're using...that's how they've been getting a foothold on this Earth. You're literally accelerating an emergency we haven't begun to understand."

As she turned away, trying to calm herself Gennaro tried to reach out. "I swear, I didn't...maybe I know something that can help?"

Golden Spider

Clara stepped forward as Kate turned away to compose herself "Then spill it, everything, everything you know and everything you can think of, your fuck-up has already caused lives to be lost, and more will be if you don't help us." she said slamming her hands on the desk, staring him right in the eye. "this is your chance to make it right and maybe even be a hero that helped save the world, its your choice"

Lady Jenn

Gennaro mopped his brow. "I...I swear, he promised me they only had the best intentions."

"Who?" Kate asked. "The Midnight Order? What could they possibly promise you?"

"Not the Order," the Doctor replied. "Their masters...their true masters. When they explained it to me I joked that it sounded like something out of Lovecraft but they said..." He closed his eyes. "They said they are some ancient, dark and powerful. That only a handful of those in the multiverse have any concept of what they are, and even then their name is spoken as a joke."

"That's not possible," Kate said. "If The Timeless were real, we'd...Oh god," she said, sitting hard in one of the chairs. "Those things I saw...Fucking hell, Marguerite made them sound like a nightmare. But why would they want the Order?"

"From what I understand," the Doctor said, removing his glasses to clean them, "due to the...nature of their existence they cannot cross into our plane of existence without host bodies. Preferably willing, but if all else fails-"

"The hospital..." Kate trailed off, going white as a sheet.

Golden Spider

Clara looked back and forth between the two growing nor anxious with Kates growing grave reaction “ok someone want to fill me in on what the hell you two are implying and so worried about. What’s going on at the hospital?”

Clara desperately wanted to comfort Kate seeing her reaction, but didn’t know if that was the best move at the moment or if they should still try to keep up the strong front. “Seriously how much more fucked did we just get?”

Lady Jenn

"No-one's sure what the Timeless are," Kate said, visibly shaking. "My sister said she'd heard at least three different stories, variously describing them as gods, demons...something leftover from the beginnings of the universe. As for the hospital..." she gulped. "Clara, they weren't trying to kill me, they were trying to sedate me to the point where I couldn't resist being possessed. If you and Jake hadn't intervened..." She let out a quiet sob."

"Ladies, there's..." The Doctor gulped. "I'm supposed to be meeting my contact today. I'm not sure I can stomach going now I've heard this but...maybe you should go in my place?"

Golden Spider

On hearing what Kate had deduced, Clara could no longer resist taking her in her arms. She rubbed her back gently and she held her for a moment. "It's ok, we got you out of there, I won't let anything like that happen to you."

She broke the hug off though, whirling around with a fire in her eyes as the doctor spoke up again "Where was your stomach when you got into bed with these things?" she slammed her hands on the desk again "What part of Extra-Dimensional Boogeymen beings that need to possess people made you think they were the good guys? You were in it for the money and power don't delude yourself, you disgust me. No you're not out of this, you're going to that meeting, and I'm going with you, if only to make sure you don't stab us in the back."

She turned back to Kate, "if that is really what they intended to do to you then they know you, its more dangerous if you were to come to the meeting."

Lady Jenn

Kate shook her head. "Clara, we're not sure what the Order is capable of, nevermind the Timeless. I'm not letting you go to a meeting with them without me, especially not with him. I can't..." She pulled Clara into a hug, holding her for a moment. "They already cost me one person I love, I won't risk it happening again."

The Doctor sighed. "I appreciate you two have no reason to trust me, and I suspect there's nothing I could do to truly make up for what I did, but I at least want the chance to attempt to make up for what I did."

Golden Spider

"Love" That single word floored her, and all she could do for a moment was to hug and hold Kate in return. Clara wasn't ready to say those words herself, but hearing them spoken even in an indirect way made her start to realize that maybe she loved the woman in her arms as well.

Clara regathered her thoughts quickly though, they had to stay focused. What Kate had said was probably the only thing she could've to change Clara's mind "Okay, fine. but we need to get you a disguise then, you can't say that I'm wrong, they will recognize you and the jig will be up immediately, even if Doctor dumbass here doesn't betray us" She said before turning to The Doctor, contempt evident in her eyes even with out her comments "so where and when is this meeting then?"

Lady Jenn

"In about half an hour in a park about ten minutes from here," Gennaro replied.

Kate raised an eyebrow. "Wait, you actually meet them somewhere this close to your place of business? Have you not worried that might be a little...unsafe?"

Gennaro sighed. "I am not the young man I was Miss, certainly not as young as I wish I was. My living space is above this shop. I meet them nearby because if I travelled much further then I would be struggling with my health for days after." He finally returned his glasses to his nose. "I'm sorry, I...I should not be burdening young people like you two with my issues. You have your lives ahead of you."

Golden Spider

Clara ignored the old man rambling on about his health, it didn’t matter right now when they only had a half hour to find some way to disguise Kate “okay we have half an hour,” she turned to Gennaro is there a costume store or a hairdresser or anything like that nearby, I’d think Kate would prefer a wig but if we have no other option…”

Lady Jenn

"Maisie's Costumes next door," he replied, wiping a handkerchief across his mouth. "I have an open tab there so just say I sent you and she won't demand you pay her."

Kate frowned, beginning to suspect something but not wanting to say anything. "Thank you," she said, taking Clara's hand as they walked towards the door, turning to Clara with a smirk. "Just...please don't get anything too ridiculous. The more uncomfortable I feel the more likely they'll get suspicious."

Golden Spider

Clara was also confused and set alert at the fact that this old man who seemingly rarely ever goes further then ten miles the house apparently had an open tab at the costume shop but as long as it did the trick then she wasn’t going to make a big deal about it.

Clara smirked as well as Kate pulled her closer to the door “damn so Ixnay on the playboy bunny costume then?” She squeezed Kate’s hand “I know you can probably take him if you need to…” she said pausing slightly “but still be careful okay? I don’t want to lose you either.” Clara gave Kate a quick kiss on the cheek before leaving the office shortly after the building to make her way to the costume shop.

Lady Jenn

Kate stopped outside the shop, turning to Clara after taking a glimpse back at the library. "Clara...I think that man is dying. I don't know why he'd be trying to hide it from us...but he doesn't look right and something about his story about why he would be trying to access the multiverse doesn't make sense."

She indicated around them. "The man is apparently an inventor and a genius but...I mean, this seems like a lovely place, but if you were going to find inspiration for a creation why would you pick a slightly rundown library in a pretty out of the way part of LA?"

Golden Spider

Clara frowned slightly and shrugged “well as a librarian I have to argue the idea that you can’t find inspiration in a library. But I see your point. Maybe he just saw it as his way to stay relevant, if he’d been lauded for most of his adult career for being a genius inventor and now he’s mostly ignored out here it would make a lot of people listen to anyone who could promise literally bring in the history books, he just didn’t realize that he would be in them for being a traitor.”

Clara sighed, knowing she was being slightly unfair towards the doc, especially after what she had just said about wanting to be remembered “do you think we can trust him at all? A cornered dying animal is always the most dangerous. We know where and when this meeting is even now. We can just hide on the sidelines without him.”

Lady Jenn

Kate frowned slightly. "I may end up looking like a fool but...I think we can," she finally said. "If he is dying he may see it as a way of at least doing one last good thing before he dies. I'm happy to go with what you feel safest doing though. Now though, I believe we were buying a costume."

She took Clara's hand and led her into the shop. It was covered, wall to wall, with everything from witches' costumes to slightly tatty Star Wars uniforms via a costume that would not have looked out of place in a Lord of the Rings movie. Helping a young girl fit a princess dress was a tall, slim brown-skinned woman with dreadlocked hair.

Kate coughed slightly awkwardly. "Maisie? Doctor Gennaro next door thought you might be able to help us with a costume."

The woman laughed. "Is that man getting nostalgic in his last da-" She stopped as she caught sight of the two women. "Oh. Oh, he hasn't told you has he?"

"How long?" Kate asked.

"Five months, if he's lucky," Maisie said as finished fixing the dress. "Stage four lung cancer if you're curious. He doesn't tend to tell people because...well, that's a story for him to tell, not me." The young girl curtsied to Maisie before hurrying out the door. "So, what is it you're looking for exactly?"

Golden Spider

Clara shrugged "I'm fine with going to the meeting with him, there is an added bit  of risk but if we are hiding in the bushes we may miss something important."

Clara couldn't help but look around as they entered the costume shop she was slightly surprised at how high quality a lot of them seemed, not like the cheap one night only costumes that she had usually gotten in the past for parties and Halloween in the past. with the sheer amount of them she was not surprised to see a number of costumes that were similar to those she had worn in the past. including an almost carbon copy of the one she was wearing in the picture of her and her sisters that she had shown Kate on the flight.

Clara glanced at Kate to see her reaction when her hunch of Gennaro dying was confirmed by the shop-owner, slightly impressed that she had managed to catch it and call it so correctly

"I see. Well thank you for letting us know, hopefully  he sees fit to tell us himself before..." she trailed off, trying to play that they were friends or acquaintances, possibly even colleagues of the doctor. "the costume is for K-elly here," she said almost giving the shop keep their real names before split second thinking better of it and pivoting. "we have a party in about half an hour and this procrastinator still doesn't have one, She isn't a big fan of it all though so we were thinking maybe just a wig or something?" she said turning to Kate to correct her or provide any further details

Lady Jenn

Maisie walked over, circling Kate while tapping a finger against her lip. "It depends what kind of costume you're looking for. I have almost anything you can imagine here."

Kate felt herself blushing at the attention she was getting from both women, trying to quickly regain her composure before anyone noticed. "Well, I don't mind to be honest. I'm trusting Clara here to find me the right costume. No pressure though," she said, reaching out to squeeze Clara's hand.

Maisie smiled. "I hope you don't mind me saying, you make a cute couple."

Golden Spider

Clara blushed slightly as well when Maisie called them a cute couple "Thank you." she said in reply, squeezing Kate's hand in return. Clara turned away starting to examine the options, any real costume wouldn't do, it would just draw more attention to see someone dressed up as a elf or princess in the middle of a park. Sure it's LA so it probably wouldn't draw too much attention, but any attention would be a bad thing for what they were trying to do. knowing they were short on time as well made the endeavor much more annoying.

It did take almost 15 minutes though before Clara shook her head returning to Kate with just a wig of black hair in a short bob. "How's this?" she asked Kate, "we could say you're the main character from that Mirror's Edge video game."

Lady Jenn

Maisie took the wig and placed it on Kate's head, squinting slightly. "What do you think?" she asked Kate.

Kate walked over to a nearby mirror, looking at it closely. "I know this sounds stupid but...could I have something a bit more...formal? I don't get to do formal all that often." She looked around the racks, her eyes alighting on a shapely blue dress that looked like it would fit neatly in most offices. "I mean...that doesn't look like too much does it?" Although she didn't specify who she was asking it was Clara she wanted to hear, even as it felt slightly strange to ask.

Golden Spider

Clara smiled as Kate's eye caught the dress, she was hoping that the other woman would get more into it, while they were getting closer by the hour she was not very comfortable picking her entire outfit like she was a dress-up doll. "I think that would tie it all together for sure, you'll look great in it." Before Kate could protest further Clara grabbed the dress, handed it to Kate and more or less pushed her into the changing room, telling her without actually saying it that Clara wasn't going to let her argue or convince herself out of it. Clara then turned to Maisie to chat with her while Kate got changed.

Lady Jenn

"Don't worry, I won't ask you personal questions," Maisie said with a laugh. "I decided to not be that person after a shop owner I visited once pretty much demanded my life story when all I wanted to do was buy a book. Imagine the look on her very conservative face when I explained that my 'friend' was a woman I was engaged to. You two do look cute together though."

Kate walked out, still blushing slightly but the dress almost looked like it'd been designed for her especially. "Be honest," she said, looking between Clara and Maisie. "This looks awful on me, doesn't it?"

Maisie raised an eyebrow. "I think I'll let Clara answer that, considering I'm a married woman," she said with a chuckle.

Golden Spider

Clara laughed at Maisie's story "serves her right digging into your business like that, we're actually just here for the weekend, I'm from a small town myself, everything you hear about small town life is 100% true with everyone being all nosy and rumor mill working overtime, my least favorite part of living there, just mind your own business, who cares if Mirabelle down the street fainted during town hall?"

Clara then turned to the changing room as the door rustled with Kate's emergence. She was stunning, the dress fit her perfectly and accentuated her form in all the right places. If this was just a simple dress that wouldn't look out of place in any standard office, or on any receptionist or dress-liking worker in general, then Clara couldn't wait to see what a more "party" dress would look like

"Kate you look amazing, truly" Clara said after a moment. "If that looks awful on you then you could make a paper bag look like high fashion"

Lady Jenn

Kate turned even brighter red, covering her face with her hands, eliciting another chuckle from Maisie. "I'd tell you two to get a room but I don't want to embarrass poor Kate any further."

Kate walked over to Clara, kissing her on the cheek. "We should probably get going, I don't want to be late." She leant closer to Clara's ear. "To be honest I'm wearing this for your benefit rather than anyone else." She turned to Maisie. "Thanks for this, hopefully we get to spend more time together sometime."

Golden Spider

Clara smirked when Kate whispered that into her ear "Well I am certainly benefiting" she whispered back. Before smiling to Maisie as well "yes thank you a bunch, I hope we can meet again at some point." She said before taking Kate's hand and leaving the store. "Are you ready for this?" she asked Kate as they walked along the street back towards the park that the doctor had indicated. "we have no idea what we're walking into here."

Lady Jenn

"I'm not sure ready is the right word," Kate said with a nervous laugh. "But I don't see that we have much other choice right now." She led Clara back to the library, where the Doctor had dozed off in his chair. "Genaro...why didn't you tell us you were dying?"

He coughed slightly as he opened his eyes. "Even if I deserved your pity, which I don't think either of us believe I do, I have no interest in hearing it. My own work ethic meant it was picked up too late. At least you're offering me a chance to do something good before it catches up with me."

Kate sighed. "Please, for the love of god, tell me you weren't using those portals to try and find a cure for yourself."

He laughed shakily. "Kate, even if I could find something my body is beyond saving at this point. I had a misguided belief I might find something capable of saving more deserving lives. And no, I don't think that excuses what I did."

Golden Spider

Clara shook her head "It doesn't, but I guess you kinda had the right intention, now I think we have a pressing meeting to go to?" Clara said and followed them all out of the office and building, and down the road to the nearby park that Gennaro had mentioned earlier "How do  these meetings usually go?" she asked as they walk "do you feed them information or get instructions, or what?" 

Lady Jenn

"They have a contact," Genaro replied. "I don't believe he's possessed...although I'm not sure how I'd tell even if he was. He hands me information on a new universe to access, in return I share whatever news I...damnit, I may be dying but how could I be so stupid?"

Kate stopped and looked at him. "They've used your need for companionship to tap you for information. Shit, all they needed was access to medical records, and we already know they've infiltrated hospitals."

They finally reached the park, and even before Genaro had pointed him out Kate could see who they were looking for. On the outside he appeared to just be a tall, smartly-dressed young man with a folder under one arm. But at even a quick glance she could see strands of purple light swirling around him.

"Well...I think that's our guy," she said, nodding as subtly as possible in the man's direction.

Golden Spider

Clara’s eyes narrowed as both Gennaro and Kate pointed the man out. He did look ordinary, and she wasn’t sure if that made her more comfortable or more anxious about the whole ordeal. Certainly she didn’t expect a literal little green man to meet them in the park, but to her, unable to see what Kate could, it was just an ordinary man, if not a tad overdressed for the location and neighborhood. “We didn’t really have time to plan any of this” Clara whispered to the two “I assume you usually come to these alone. What’s our excuse for bringing us this time?”

Lady Jenn

"If you're dying Doctor, then maybe we can be his new contacts," Kate replied. "After all you'll know reliable contacts better than he does."

The Doctor sighed, but it quickly degenerated into coughing. "I am...not entirely comfortable with that as a plan, but I must admit I can't think of a better one unless either of you two can." He noticed the man checking his watch. "I am happy for you to have the final say Clara, but we should not make him wait much longer."

Golden Spider

Clara shrugged "I'm not too hot on that idea either, but you're right, we don't really have time, that will have to do." She said then led the way over to the smartly-dressed man. "Good evening" She said as they were a couple of feet away from him "I'm Rebecca We're with Dr. Gennaro" she said they stepped to the side a bit so they can interact, taking Kate's hand as she did so. if things went bad they would have to run, and fast

Lady Jenn

The man eyed the two newcomers suspiciously for a moment, before the doctor drew his attention. "You wanted suitable replacements for when I..." he coughed involuntarily at that moment. "I understand your masters struggle to comprehend the whole...death concept."

The man sighed. "You humans haven't even begun to understand what they are...yet anyway." He turned to Kate and Clara. "If I asked you to get me certain...information, would you be willing to?"

Kate shrugged as casually as she could manage in that moment. "It depends, Genaro hasn't gone into massive detail as to what this job would involve."

Golden Spider

Clara nodded at Kate's response. "we want to know a bit more about what we are getting into. and how you will make the effort worth our while" Clara was trying to act like how she would expect a typical person that Gennaro actually would bring would act, like she had no morals or scruples and would be willing to get them whatever information they wanted to as long as she got paid, in one way or another.

Lady Jenn

He looked around cautiously. "There's a military project, one we have a name for but we know nothing else: Project Daedalus. They are getting dangerously close to discovering certain...information we would rather they didn't. In return? Well...our masters are especially...generous to those who assist them with gathering intelligence."

"And how, pray tell, are we supposed to do that?" Kate asked, raising an eyebrow. "The military aren't going to be stupid enough to just let us walk in the front door without a shedload of questions being asked."

"Oh, you only need to be the backup," the man said. "Genaro will be doing most of the work, why do you think we were making you ill Doctor? You humans are fools."

Golden Spider

She shot a quick look at Kate when he mentioned Project Daedalus, none of them had told her the official name of their Organization, was it this Project Daedalus? Even if it wasn't any information that they wanted to suppress was information they had to know.  Clara tensed when the man revealed that they were giving the Doctor cancer, and called them all fools, wondering it it was about to turn south, but since they hadn't she spoke up again "How exactly is him having cancer going to get us in a military building?"

Lady Jenn

Kate sized the man up, considering her next move carefully. If she'd been by herself she might've done something crazier, but she didn't want to risk Clara's life unnecessarily. "Just...I just need to have a word with the others," she said, pulling Genaro and Clara away from the man.

Once she was fairly sure they were out of earshot she turned to Clara. "Shit, I don't think the plan is to use his cancer to get them in, they're going to take over his body. And considering how weak his body is I dread to think what they're planning to do with it."

Golden Spider

Clara bit her lower lip, of course, it was obvious now that Kate had said it. And no matter what Genaro had done, he didn't deserve that. "So what then, convince him to send us instead, or just say we'll do it and walk away, I think it may be useful to learn this information too. if not us they will find someone else, and whatever information they are worried about will be gone." she whispered to the two of them. "I still don't understand how Genaro will help, even if they take over his body, do you have some sort of top secret clearance doc?"

Lady Jenn

Genaro thought for a moment. "I don't know anything...or at least not that I can imagine would be useful to them. But..." He frowned. "I have a younger brother. Sammy, he works in the military, he always said he was working on something secret, I assume he just wanted me to stop being nosey."

Kate chewed on her lip. "I think we need to call Natalya. I'm beginning to worry that they might be planning a...one-way trip for the Doctor. Which begs the question of what it is that Daedalus is hiding that a group of interdimensional beings are probably intending to blow it up."

Golden Spider

Clara nodded "We need to get that information before they are able to destroy it. but whet do we do about our friend here." She ssaid jerking her head back towards the man standing just out of earshot. "I doubt he is just going ti let us walk away":

Lady Jenn

Genaro sighed. "I'll keep him distracted, you two contact your friends. I suggest you do it as quickly as possible though."

Once the Doctor had walked back to the other man Kate phoned Natalya, glad the Russian woman answered quickly. "Nat, I'm not sure I have time to explain. I need to know what Project Daedalus is, we have good reason to believe it may be in serious danger."

There was silence from the other end for a few moments. "Daedalus is how the US government accesses the multiverse," Nat replied. "It was how you were supposed to journey here before...whatever it is went wrong. Kate...if they were to detonate a bomb there the shockwave could spread."

Kate felt her body shaking. "My home...it's linked to that portal."

Golden Spider

Clara rested a hand on Kate's arm to provide a slight bit of comfort in this brief moment. They would not let that happen, no matter what. "The Doctor's... contact, said they were close to discovering something important, we need to know what they are currently looking into, and we need a game plan. The contact also said that the doctor was key to their plans on infiltrating as well, Kate thinks they will possess him, and the doctor himself thinks that it may be related to his brother Sammy." She said talking into the phone to give Nat any other information that she could think of while Kate paused.

Lady Jenn

"You're going to have to bring him in," Natalya said. "I know it's dangerous, but...There's only one Sammy I know of with any link to Daedalus, and I can entirely believe the Midnight Order would want off the board. Fizz and I are going to come to you, I'll text you a safe house we have there."

"Well...that sounds easy," Kate said as Nat hung up. "Something tells me he's not going to just let us walk him somewhere." She turned to Clara. "Look, if you'd rather be somewhere safe first I don't mind. I don't...I don't want you risking yourself to help me."

Golden Spider

Clara shook her head "no absolutely not, I'm already in this and I'm with you to the end. I'm not just risking myself to help you, but your world, your people, and my world, everything. I won't lie all this gets more frightening by the hour, but I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't come with, especially if you got hurt because of it." She said Squeezing the Redhead's hand. before looking back to Genaro and the Stranger "no he won't, even sending Doc over alone to distract him was a risk, what if they are taking him over as we speak?"

Lady Jenn

Kate stole a look at the other two. "Well, I'm probably going to regret saying this, but...I think if it was that easy they'd have possessed me in the hospital before you had a chance to save me." She checked her back pocket for the gun she was glad she had brought with her. "Well, better get this over with."

She led Clara back over to the two men, gripping the woman's hand more tightly than she'd intended. The stranger narrowed his eyes at them. "I assume you came to a decision considering the length of time that took?"

"We have," Kate replied. "I don't think you'll like it though." She pointed the gun at him. "You can come with us quietly or we can do this the hard way."

What happened next was so rapid Kate had no time to react before it happened. The stranger pulled his own gun out and gunshot rung out...but Genaro had got between them, collapsing to the ground with a bullet wound to his chest. The stranger was so stunned that Kate managed to use her gun to knock him out, before kneeling next to Genaro.

"Clara, call Nat," she said, handing over her phone. "See if she knows someone we can take them to." She turned to the Doctor, although she could tell with even a cursory glance he didn't have long. "Why the fuck did you do that?"

Genaro laughed weakly. "I was dying anyway friend, this way...I can at least make my death do some good for the world."

Golden Spider

It had all happened so quickly Genaro was on the floor before Clara had even processed that Kate pulled her gun at the stranger in the first place. She blinked a couple times when Kate pressed her phone into her hand “r-right.” She said before dialing Nat “Things went tits up. Doc got shot, where do we take him. And I think we have a prisoner as well.” She listened to Nats response, relaying the information to Kate. She then kneeled besides the stranger, trusting that Kate knew what to do to keep Genaro alive until they can move him to the safe spot, and started going through the strangers pockets. “Probably too much to hope that you have some handcuffs on ya you piece of shit.” She mumbled to herself

Lady Jenn

Kate looked up from where she was trying, feebly, to stem the flow of blood. She let out a bitter laugh as she looked at the prone stranger. "He actually does," she said, pointing out a pair just visible poking from beneath his shirt. "I don't know why any part of this surprises me." She looked up as she heart a car stop nearby, Marcus stepping out. "Well, you get to be our hero twice in a day," she said. "We're going to need your help though."

The older man rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "Let's move our unconscious friend first," he said, turning to Clara. "I don't suppose you can help me move him?"

Golden Spider

Clara nodded and first snapped the handcuffs around the of the stranger, behind his back and as tight as possible, before helping Marcus carry the Stranger over to his car, before rushing back over to Kate. "Shit that looks bad, will we be able to make it to the safe house?" Clara asked Marcus, knowing that she at least didn't know where this safe house was or how far away. "Is there any way we can help at all Kate? or is it just move him as well and try to get there as soon as possible?"

Lady Jenn

Marcus and Kate shared a look, the old man shaking his head. "We can try, but...at this point I suspect we can only make him comfortable and delay the inevitable."

Kate looked down at the doctor, who had now lost consciousness. "We have to do something Marcus, this man just took a bullet for me, I won't have him bleeding out alone in the middle of a park." She sighed. "Sorry, I know this is asking a bit much of you."

"Not at all," Marcus said. "Believe me, Nat has asked more of me, and she still thinks I'm naive enough to believe she's an international businesswoman." He chuckled as he helped Kate pick up the prone form. "Don't worry, I'm not asking questions you can't answer. Nat has helped me enough down the years to earn my trust."

They managed to get him into the car, but then Kate threw up, causing a concerned look from their driver. "I'm fine Marcus, just...dead and dying people aren't something I'm used to."

Golden Spider

Clara rubbed Kate's back as the other woman thew up, trying to provide some small comfort to her in that moment. Clara idly thought how since meeting Kate that she had seen more dead or grievously injured people then she had seen for years beforehand, starting with Kate herself, and now Genaro. where before the worst she typically saw in a year was someone getting a paper cut in her library during community arts and crafts night. "we should go, someone likely heard the gunshot and called the police," she said to the two of them "come on, hun." she then said softly to Kate, not even thinking of her choice of words

Lady Jenn

Kate allowed herself to be helped into the car, too in shock to offer any resistance even if she'd wished to. Marcus pulled out of the park, travelling as fast as he could without breaking any laws. "The good news is the safe house is ten minutes away tops...well, as long as the traffic behaves itself."

Kate leant against Clara, using one hand to stem the flow of blood as best she could. "He did terrible things but...he doesn't deserve this. He should have family with him."

Marcus nodded grimly. "I'm...a little familiar with him, if only because I've visited his shop a few times. I know he has a daughter but she must live elsewhere because he always seems sad when the topic is brought up."

Golden Spider

Clara frowned in confusion "His shop? We just met him in a office above a library, what is his shop?" Clara did what she could to help Kate, both with her shock and reaction to Genaro's current state, and with Genaro himself. Marcus was clearly used to things somewhat like this happening like he had said. as there was a fully stocked first aid kit in the back that Clara opened up to find some gauze that she then also used to help stop the bleeding.

Lady Jenn

"Sorry, I consider it a shop," Marcus laughed. "Probably because I mostly use it to buy all the weird old books no-one wants to loan from him."

Kate couldn't help a slight laugh. "Honestly, he seems like the kind of librarian who'd have a stock room full of books maybe three people on planet Earth have any interest in reading." As they pulled up to a house in a quiet part of town Kate was caught off-guard by a beautiful older woman stepping out of the house, dressed in a long grey dress, with pink hair tied back. "Marcus, are you sure this is the right place?"

"Don't tell me Nat forgot to mention Lena to you?" Marcus asked, raising an eyebrow, before stopping the car and getting out. "Le, please tell me Nat rang ahead to let you know?"

Lena narrowed her eyes at him. "Marcus Turner, I've told you before there's exactly one person I allow to call me that, and she's not you." She turned to look in the back seat and her face immediately softened. "You must be Kate and Clara, come in, take the Doctor to the first door on the right, there's a bed set up in there."

Kate snapped out of her trance. "Um...so...Nat forgot to tell us her ex-girlfriend was super glamorous," she whispered, stifling a giggle. "Can you help me with the Doctor?"

Golden Spider

Clara pouted slightly "Again I take offense at the Librarian slander," she said as they continued driving. When they arrived Clara was also a bit starstruck at the beauty of Nat's ex "Right?" She replied to Kate, "Nat's must be crazy to let that go" She said also with a small giggle, before helping Kate with the Doctor. After they had managed to carry him upstairs and laid him down on the bed they returned downstairs. "So what now, The doctor likely won't make it very long, we have to make his sacrifice worth it."

Lady Jenn

Marcus entered the room. "I've put our other 'friend' in the office, I think he should be out of it for a bit longer at least."

Lena knelt next to the Doctor and shook her head. "He's not going to last much longer. He's lost so much blood I'm amazed he's lasted this long." She sighed as she stood up. "Do you girls want something to drink?" She walked to the door. "Oh, and since fuck knows what Marcus has been telling you, if you have any questions about me and Nat you may as well get them out of the way."

Kate couldn't help a slight laugh. "I didn't think we were being that obvious, I'm sorry."

Golden Spider

Clara blushed slightly when Lena said that. "No, sorry, whatever happened is your business, so there's nothing we can do for him then?" Clara said with a swallow, suddenly filled with compassion for the man. Despite what he had done, he had thrown himself in front of a bullet intended for Kate, and that went a long way as an act of redemption in her eyes, not entirely, but still a long way.

Lady Jenn

Lena walked back in with a glass of water each for them. "I did some...admittedly fairly low level medical training years ago. The amount of blood he's lost and where the bullet hole is...I'm not sure even a fully equipped operating theatre could do much for him. You at least made sure he's comfortable though."

Kate drank the water gratefully. her shaking finally diminishing. "You'd think after all I've been through people being shot wouldn't bother me so much."

Lena offered a sympathetic smile. "Take it from me, the day you stop feeling anything around injured people is the moment you need to start worrying about your own mental health."

Golden Spider

Clara took her Kate's hand again as she Kate said those words. though she was only half paying attention, taking and giving solace in turn, and it was at that small interchange and Lena's fairly certain words that there was nothing that could be done for him that finally broke Clara out of the shock that she had been in as well since that moment.

Clara quickly excused herself needing to just get out of the building that suddenly seemed crammed to the brim with the four of them, and made her way to the darkened stairwell. sitting down on the stairs as she felt her eyes brim with tears. It was irrational, she told herself, that she was feeling this way, for a stranger, for a traitor against humanity itself, but it was still a life, and it could have been her life, or Kate's.

Lady Jenn

A sleek, sporty looking car pulled up, and Fizz and Natalya got out. When they saw Clara Fizz nodded to Natalya, who nodded and headed into the house, while Fizz walked over to Clara, resting a hand on her shoulder.

"I'm sorry, none of us have asked how you're doing," Fizz said, pulling her into a warm hug. "If you need to talk I'm here, if you can believe it I was like you not that long ago." She sighed. "I was a nerdy student studying making video games, and then one of the Order tried to go on a killing spree in the school. I didn't even know what was going on, but for some reason I decided to stop him. Nat found out and came to recruit me and..." She laughed. "I never thought I'd be trying to save reality for real, if I'm being honest."

Golden Spider

(damnit i did it again)

Clara allowed herself to be pulled into the hug, shaking her head at Fizz's words "I.. its all so insane and absurd, like you said I was just a ordinary small town librarian, and now... that man is dying, and I can't help but think of his daughter, his brother, who will likely never know why. He saved Kate, it could've, probably, definitely would've been her if he didn't jump in the way. He helped those things, who in turn did horrible things, but his family doesn't deserve this, to have no answers, to be asking why constantly."

Clara sighed again, wrapping her arms around herself. "And Kate.." she began, unable to help a soft smile at her lips at the mention of the red haired woman. "This is strange for me as well, I've never felt like this about someone so fast, and it scares me, but also seems impossible to resist.. But it can't work out can it, after we win, if we win, she goes back to her regular life, her world, her home, an Entire world! how can i compete with that?"

Lady Jenn

Fizz gave her a sympathetic smile. "Between Nat and Lena I'm sure we can track his daughter down. You two looked after him, whatever evil he did he didn't deserve this. We'll..." She paused. "Even if we can't tell his family the whole truth they'll at least know his last act was a heroic one."

She couldn't help laughing slightly at the Kate question, although she did so apologetically. "Why don't you ask her? Maybe she doesn't want to go back, after all, her sister..." She paused again. "And even if it can't last, would you throw away a chance to be happy because it isn't guaranteed to last forever?"

Golden Spider

Clara shrugged, she had a feeling that fighting for his family to know the truth was an insurmountable one, so she decided to let that drop. but as the conversation turned to Kate she could only shrug again, grabbing a chunk of some of her hair that had fallen over the front of her shoulder, twisting it slightly in a subconscious motion "No I can't ask that of her, and she also can't really afford to deal with any of this either, what with everything that is going on, you weren't there on our way over here, she's dealt with so much lately, she clearly hasn't given herself any time to feel it, understandably so, if I were her I wouldn't want to get out of bed for a week if I let myself feel it, let alone plan some Mission Impossible infiltration of a top secret military base."

Lady Jenn

"Maybe she is thinking the same as you though?" Fizz said. "Take it from someone who has more failed relationships than successful ones, the worst thing to do when you're worrying about something is keeping those worries to yourself."

The door opened, Marcus poking his head out. "Are you two coming in? Lena has made some of her famous homemade chocolate cake, I can't guarantee it'll last long though."

Fizz snorted. "He has a point. C'mon, you've not had proper chocolate cake till you've tried one of Lena's creations. Seriously, I don't know why she never decided to bake cakes for a living."

Golden Spider

Clara shook her head again at Fizz's words. "maybe.. I'll think on your words, but I don't want to bring it up now." she said before Marcus poked his head out to inform them of the desert.

She stood up at her words and followed her into the house, "Well then I look forward to experiencing it, you will never catch me saying no to cake that's for sure."

They rejoined the group for a couple moments, enjoying a moment of calm with the chaos that had been going on for the last, was it only a couple days? And once the desert was consumed, and everyone was sated it was time to plan. "So what exactly are we dealing with here?"

Lady Jenn

Lena handed her a plate of the cake, which almost seemed to be 80% chocolate with small amounts of cake hiding beneath it. "I'd like to know too," she said, glaring at Natalya. "Nat, you know I love you, and I let your friends in here without a second thought, but I think I'm owed an explanation as much as Clara here is."

With a brief look at Fizz and a sigh Nat brought Lena, who spent the conversation leaning on a table listening closely, before she reached the present. "Our unconscious friend next door might be our best chance to figure out what the Midnight Order are doing, which is probably our best option before we go charging into a military base saying we're here to save the world."

Kate couldn't help laughing, squeezing Clara's hand. "I mean, much as I love the idea of playing the superhero role it's probably a good idea we have some idea what we're doing, so we don't wind up getting shot on sight."

Golden Spider

The cake was delicious, certainly lived up to the hype, it being practically inhaled by Clara. It wasn’t until she had her first bite that she had realized how hungry she was, probably the last thing that they had eaten was the treats on the flight, and that also wasn’t a very filling meal.

She shook her head off the thoughts of her empty stomach fought back to the ongoing conversation. Checking back in right to hear the end of the conversation, checking back in right in time to hear Nat’s final statement and Kate’s response. Clara squeezed her hand back, a small smile on her have as the tiny exchange, which quickly faded as they got back into business “yes I personally have had enough shooting, and I’m not even the one that got shot or shot at. But how are we even going to get that info. The man is dying. Will we really be able to get him lucid enough to provide us information that we can actually trust?”

Lady Jenn

"I mean the prisoner," Natalya said. "He's going to have to wake up eventually and at that point I think we all have questions we'd like him to ask." She grimaced slightly. "Look, you and Kate have already had one...unpleasant meeting with him, if you'd rather sit this out I wouldn't blame you."

Kate shook her head. "I need to hear what he has to say, I'll put up with my discomfort to do so." She turned to Clara. "But only if you're okay with that, if you'd rather avoid him I'll happily keep you company out here. I'm sure you've got plenty you'd like to ask me too."

Golden Spider

Clara turned slightly pink at her mistake "ah yeah the prisoner. almost forgot about that." she muttered as she listened to Nat continue to speak. Questions for the prisoner. A small corner of her mind immediately leaped to the idea of torture. but they wouldn't do that right? They were the good guys. But even good people can do bad things, especially for a good cause, would the torture be necessary, even maybe righteous, if it mean they could stop them from enacting their plans.

But those thoughts were moot right, that is not a situation where they'd be going, at least not yet, hopefully not ever. "I'm fine, if you have questions for him Kate then you can ask them, I don't know if i really have anything to say or ask, but if you want me to be there I'll do it.

Lady Jenn

Kate squeezed Clara's hand. "Honestly, I'd prefer to have you there, I'd feel more...calm with you there."

Nat strode towards the door. "C'mon then, I think I can hear our 'friend' waking up." They were led towards a room at the back of the house, an office with a bookcase on nearly every wall other than a large window looking out onto a small but well-kept back garden. The would-be assassin was tied securely to a chair, blinking his eyes slowly as Nat knelt in front of him. "Listen to me Jack, I have no intention of torturing you, but I need you to understand something." As he tried to look away she forced him to look at her. "This is a matter of life and death so you need to start talking and tell us everything you know."

The man looked panicked. "I didn't...he was controlling..." He fell silent, biting his lip. "Fuck, what have I done."

Kate growled. "It's useless Nat, how do we know he's-"

Fizz cut her off, stepping forward. "They bonded one of the Timeless to you, didn't they?"

He nodded. "I've spent two months feeling like my body wasn't mine. I...I swear, I didn't know what I was doing."

Golden Spider

Clara watched as the three women did their thing. Keeping her face passive and blank was an act of will while she watched the scene unfold. Personally she was in agreement with what she was assuming Kate was about to say before she was cut off, what if he was just telling them what they wanted to hear. In a dizzying game of mental cat and mouse her thoughts chased each other in an endless loop.

"They know that we would just assume that they are forcing themselves on to innocents, controlling their bodies, and are letting our assumptions screw us over. But if they were able to just let go of him as soon as he was captured, then they would do so. unless they knew that we would assume that they would leave as soon as shit hit the fan and stayed behind to get more intel. Unless they assumed that we would assume that they would assume that we would assume, and did leave after all.

There were so many unknowns still to Clara about these things, what they truly are, what they want, what they are capable of or their limitation, do they even think in a way we can anticipate? She knew that these were all likely questions that the others had as well.

Lady Jenn

Nat sighed. "Jack, I want to believe you, but right now I need some evidence you're not just trying to lull us into a false sense of security here."

Jack was silent for a moment before replying. "That...thing inside my mind, I heard it talking. I don't know that I was meant to hear what it was saying but..." He paused again. "The reason they're going after the portal isn't just as an access route. There's something...out there, something they fear. All I know is they call them the Aesir Eir."

Kate stumbled against a nearby table, barely catching herself. "That's...that's not..." Her breath was coming rapidly. "I need a breath of fresh air." She rushed out of the room, not stopping until she was sat on the front step, a book in her hands called "Kat's favourite myths" that she couldn't yet bring herself to read.

Golden Spider

Clara only sends a quick look at Fizz and Nat as Kate rushes off before quickly following her. Her hesitation however was just enough to lose track of the other woman, and it took her a couple of minutes of searching the rest of the house before she found her way to the front steps.

Sitting down besides Kate, Clara didn't say anything. just nudged Kate's leg with her own gently, then allowed them to sit in silence, Clara has a feeling that this was a moment that would just take time, that any prompting to speak on her behalf would only cause Kate to further withdraw.

Lady Jenn

Kate was silent for a few moments, staring off into space as she tried to gather her thoughts.

"I should've remembered it from the word 'Timeless'," she finally said. "I was obsessed with legends as a kid and yet somehow my mind didn't make the link. The Aesir Eir..." She paused, trying to think how to describe what was in her mind. "There was a myth on my Earth, it said that there were...creatures out there. Not quite gods, but something...like them. Said to have created the world then abandoned it for some reason. They were called Aesir Eir. It might be one hell of a coincidence but..." She trailed off, feeling a little overwhelmed.

Golden Spider

Clara wrapped her in a sideways hug, putting her arms around the woman. "it would definitely be one hell of a coincidence, but these things could've just been named after the myth, instead of the other way around. But how would the timeless know that." she then mused almost instantly ruling out her own hypothesis. "what else does the book say about them, I know its hard, but any information that it could give may help us. If the Timeless are running from the Aesir Eir then maybe we have a bigger problem to worry about."

Lady Jenn

Kate took a moment to lean into the hug, the feeling of safety in Clara's arms helping her regain some of her composure.

"There's not much," she replied. "Not helped by the fact a lot of it was locked away because the person who wrote most of it down was thought to be a little...shall we say, 'disconnected from reality'." She managed a slight laugh in spite of herself. "From what I recall the Timeless were supposed to be entities who rebelled against their masters and then fled from their wrath. God, it sounds like some weird ancient myth but...we know the Timeless are real. It makes me wonder what else is real."

Golden Spider

Clara chuckled a bit "well seems like Mr. Disconnected from reality was right. what else is in this book? there may be more truths then fictions in it if these two things were correct. and if the Timeless are fleeing from their wrath for disobeying the Aesir Eir then we can get a pretty important ally, or enemy of my enemy at least. If there's even a way to contact them at all." they paused for a moment, then Clara laughed again "You know I was an atheist? before all of this, If there was a god then he is and was a bastard for letting every horrible thing in the world to happen. and now we're talking about Extra-dimensional creatures that are gods for all intents and purposes. Funny how life goes sometimes."

Lady Jenn

Kate sighed. "Honestly, me too. You live on an Earth like mine you start to think no higher power would turn their back on..." She was silent for a moment. "I'll spare you the details on exactly what happened, but whatever romantic idea of my Earth you have...I would rather live here given the choice.

The door suddenly opened, Fizz's head appearing round the door frame. "If you two are feeling okay...you're going to want to hear what our new friend just decided to tell us."

Golden Spider

Clara shrugged "I won't press, I'm sure all worlds have their tragedies. But you really wouldn't want to go back to your world? Its home, and we don't know if you ever would be able to go back once this is all said and done."

Any further discussion on that path though was quickly interrupted for the moment when Fizz popped her head out. Clara looked towards Kate to see if she was ready or not. Offering her hand to the redhead, for a modicum of comfort when walking back into the building.

Lady Jenn

When they re-entered the room the man was no longer tied up, although Marcus was stood nearby with a pair of handcuffs in his hands in case. "Tell her Jack, she deserves to know," he said, calmly but with a hint of menace to his voice.

The man swallowed. "Kate, she...your sister. She's alive."

Kate's eyes narrowed. "No, I saw the enemy closing on her, it...I'd know if she'd got out of there somehow."

"They wanted you to believe that," Jack said. "They had to make you believe that so you wouldn't try going back for you. It's no accident you two were 'pilots' from your universe, you and your sister have an ability to access the multiverse in a way no-one else can."

Kate looked down at her hands, as if she hoped the answers would be written there. "I knew there was something weird about me, but..." She chewed her bottom lip. "We need to go rescue her, please."

"It's not that simple Kate," Natalya said. "Even ignoring the fact we don't know where they're keeping her, there's every chance you charging in there willy nilly is exactly what they want. They best way to help her is think this through, and make sure the Timeless can't use the portal on this Earth to make our job any more difficult."

Golden Spider

Clara wrapped Kate in a hug from behind as the processed this revelation. She knew that the news was hard to hear for the other woman, doubly so because they weren't able to go rescue her sister. "I hate to say it Kate, because I don't want you feeling like everyone is against you, but they're right. all we have is this guy's word. we don't know where she is being held or what kind of security they have. but we will rescue her." Clara said as she hugged her. before dropping to a whisper. "even if its just you and me, we will save her. I swear."

She then turned her attention to the man that they called Jack "if you knew that much then you must know more, their base of operations, their precautions, security. anything?"

Lady Jenn

"It's not here," Jack said. "I mean, not on this Earth. It's why they need the portal, they can't cross troops onto this Earth without it."

"Nat, why are they focusing here?" Kate asked, looking between Jack and the Russian woman. "There are god only knows how many Earths out there, why would this matter more than any other?" There was no response. "Nat, you know what's going on don't you?"

Nat shook her head. "No, but I think I know someone who does, who happens to work in the base we want. But...if we want him to talk to us we're going to have to go in the front door, if we try sneaking in he's going to get suspicious what we're there to do. Me and Fizz can do this solo if you guys aren't comfortable with it."

Kate shook her head. "If there's even a chance he can help us I need to come with you."

Lena brushed her hand against Nat's. "I made the mistake of letting you go once, let me help if there's anything I can do."

Marcus sighed. "I'm going to sit this one out. I'm good for an interrogation but if you guys actually wind up in a firefight I'm going to be no fucking help to any of you."

Golden Spider

Clara shook her head as well. "I know i'm not combat ready or whatever, I know I'll likely be a liability if anything goes sideways, but if theres some big secret, some big plan they have for my world, I wouldn't be able to rest if I wasn't alongside you." she said, also taking Kate's hand and giving it a squeeze to silently add. "And wouldn't be able to rest knowing you were in danger without me."

Clara looked at everyone in the room, still lingering on Jack a bit longer, still not quite willing to fully trust the man. "so what's the plan. it seems like we finally have something that isn't entirely a shot in the dark, if we need to get into this base through the front door how are we going to get that?"

Lady Jenn

Kate pulled her into a hug, placing a gentle kiss on her cheek and talking quietly enough that only Clara would hear her. "I don't know what I did to deserve your loyalty, but when this is over I'll pay you back for this, I promise."

Fizz rubbed her chin thoughtfully as she considered Clara's question. "We're not exactly going to be able to call this guy directly, if he's anything like the usual military contacts we deal with. But...we all know I know someone who can get us in there officially."

Nat frowned. "Fizz, are you sure you want to be calling in a favour with Spyder, especially after last time?"

Fizz laughed, a note of bitterness in her voice. "Nat, I can't ignore her forever, and...maybe by helping us we can rebuild a bridge between us. Give me five minutes, I'll call her."

Nat turned to them with a sigh. "Spyder's real name is Cindy Lamont, she's Fizz's sister, but...there was an incident before, they've not spoken since. Fizz wouldn't even tell me exactly what happened."

Golden Spider

Clara relaxed into the embrace slightly, "you earned it by just being yourself. and what kind of payback are we talking about, if it doesn't include chocolate then I want nothing to do with it." she replied, matching her volume. She was seemingly endlessly surprised by Kate, this time the surprise was with how well the fit together, and how much Clara felt like she was at home, just by being in her arms.

As Fizz spoke back up she disentangled herself from Kate slightly, still keeping a point of contact as their shoulders just gently touched as Fizz and Nat spoke in their quick exchange before Fizz left the room and Nat turned to explain. "I see, well I hope it does do what Fizz is wanting and start to rebuild that bridge, I certainly wouldn't want that sort of drama between my..." she trailed off, eyes wide. silent for a moment before swearing loudly "Shit! everything has been so crazy I completely forgot, I essentially just vanished off the face of the world what three four days ago now?, I have to tell them I'm alright."

Lady Jenn

"Use my phone," Natalya said, handing Clara her cellphone. "I know you can't tell them what really happened but...feel free to tell them you're safe. And if you need me to I'll speak to them, I can be reassuring when I'm in the right mood," she said with a slight chuckle."

Kate squeezed her hand. "Obviously I wouldn't impose myself on you, especially since your parents don't know me yet, but...if you want me there then I'm happy to keep you company. I kind of wish..." She paused, wiping a tear away. "I'm sure my mum would love you almost as much as I do."

Golden Spider

Clara couldn't help but give Kate a quick kiss on the cheek at her words, before thanking Nat and pulling Kate and herself to a empty room for what could be a long conversation. "Of course you can be there, I'm sure that telling them a hottie like you swept me off my feet for a impromptu vacation will do a lot to calm their worries..." she bit her lower lip in anxiety though as they sat on the bed in this spare bedroom. "I don't like lying to them, but the truth is too dangerous isn't it?" She asked even though she knew the answer, her question more rhetorical and seeking to be assuaged then any actual confusion about the risks of them actually telling them.

Clara took a deep breath, before dialing the number and toggling for a video call. she wanted to see their faces, and she knew they would want to see her in return.

Lady Jenn

Kate followed Clara, feeling the need to hold her hand, even though she wasn't sure why. Her best guess was that it brought her comfort in the midst of the stress.

She sat down close to Kate. "I'll sit here till you need me," she said. "I can be very friendly when I want to be, but I assume you want to talk to your mum first, most people would freak out a little if you jumped straight to introducing your girlfriend." She went quiet, staring out the window. "I wish my mum had got to be here to see all this."

Golden Spider

Clara sat down and squeezed Kate's hand, grateful for the support and comfort, she had no idea how this was going to go, would they even pick up the phone from an unknown number? did they think she was dead? or were they not even aware? it was only a couple of days after all, even if it felt like a lifetime since she had come across Kate lying in the grass on the side of the road.

Clara squeezed Kate's hand again when she mentioned her own mother, "If its too much you don't have to be here. I understand, you just got a lot of unexpected news, It's okay to need some time."

Lady Jenn

Kate considered her options, at that moment she felt herself almost tempted to leave the room but she shook her head.

"No," she said. "If the roles were reversed I feel sure you'd do the same. I want to be here to support you. Plus if there are any awkward questions maybe I can help." She couldn't help letting out a loud laugh. "My mum used to joke my talent was answering the most awkward questions possible. Admittedly she used to say I was talented at asking them too, so I guess I'm not sure how useful a skill that really is."

Golden Spider

Clara smiled at Kate and wrapped her arm around her in a sideways hug, It meant a lot to her that she was so willing to face her own discomfort and pain for Clara's sake.

Still she hesitated after punching the number in, her thumb hovering over the button that would start the call. there were so many ways this could go terribly terribly wrong. What if it was better off letting them think she was dead or disappeared, if that was what they were thinking? what if calling them even just for a moment put them on these things radar? what if they didn't think anything was amiss and calling them just caused them to unnecessarily worry? Was she being selfish here? Everyone else, Kate especially had either lost their family in this fight, either from distances too far to be bridged, both socially and dimensionally, or lost in a literal sense, was she just flaunting the fact that her family was still, hope beyond hopefully, alive and well?

She  took a deep breath though, and before she could talk herself out of it, pressed the green button. and the phone rang.

Lady Jenn

There's an annoyed grunt as her dad answers. "Give me five seconds. Why do you people always call when I'm trying to make dinner?"

He finally cleared things up enough to answer. "Whatever you're selling I'm not interested, I'm not looking to have my immortal soul saved and I donate to about eight charities. So assuming none of those made you hang up instantly, who's phoning me at this hour?"