An hour to midnight

Started by Lady Jenn, April 14, 2023, 12:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Jenn

As Kate began to regain consciousness she groaned. There was a stabbing pain in her arm and a tenderness in her ribs which felt like it signified nothing good. She slowly opened her eyes, finding herself staring into a night sky with a faint purple glow and frowned. It reminded her of something but...She groaned. She couldn't even figure out where she was, so she struggled to sit up, taking in her surroundings. She was dressed in a grey top and tight black trousers, although there was a tear in the left arm of her shirt through which she could see a barely healed cut.

"Fuck Kate," she muttered under her breath. "Why can't I remember anything?" She took in her surroundings, a fairly normal street with small houses and well-kept gardens, with no sign of anyone else out and about, not even a street sign to give some indication where to go. She looked next to her and noticed a folder marked 'emergency'. "Now would be a really good time to know if I'm in an emergency brain," she said irritably. When no answer was forthcoming she stumbled to her feet, picking the folder up as she did so. "Well...I guess I have to figure this shit out on my own then."

Golden Spider

It was a fairly normal spring night. It had been a bit warm for the season lately so Clara was out in a gray spaghetti strap tshirt and a pair of jeans, with a jacket wrapped around her waist in case the weather suddenly turned. She was out on her nightly sunset “W-A-L-K” with her best friend and confidant Ali. A beagle-poodle mix of about 2 years. She was just wandering along the street being on the tail end of the walk about a couple doors from home, her mind was churning through her list of To-Dos for the evening and following day “Gotta start on the meal prep tomorrow, maybe just a potato salad or something with a sandwich with the nice weather, or a light soup her thoughts continued in that matter until Ali started suddenly barking and pulling at the leash

Bark! Bark Bark! Arf! Arf Woof! Ali seemed to be barking at and agitated by something on the side of the road. Clara paid it no mind, assuming it was a squirrel or other small creature. Until she approached closer and realized it was actually a woman standing in the shadows along the road.

Clara jumped back slightly as she realized it was a person “oh! I didn’t see you there,” she chuckled to herself slightly “sorry about her, she can be an excitable one sometimes.” She bent down and picked Ali up “beautiful night huh?” She said then narrowed her eyes slightly “are you new around here? I don’t think we’ve met. Which is uncommon for a place this small,” she shuffled Ali to her other arm so she can offer a hand for a shake “I’m Clara.”
Here are my O/Os: http://bit.ly/1HmHtRE 

I have taken the Oath of the Drake: http://tinyurl.com/ptea68l

Lady Jenn

Kate nearly jumped, having been so lost in her thoughts that up to that point she hadn't even thought to notice there was someone else out and about. She couldn't help her eyes roving up and down Clara before she stopped herself, coughing awkwardly. 'Wow, real smooth Kate' Kate thought to herself.

She offered a hand, not noticing immediately that there was blood on her hand. "I'm..." She managed a light laugh. "It probably sounds insane but I don't actually know. I just woke up in the middle of the road with no idea..." She trailed off, something dawning on her. "You...You don't see anything weird in the sky do you? I must sound like I drank way too much." As she withdrew her hand she finally noticed the blood, moving her top to give the briefest glimpse of her toned stomach...and a noticeable gunshot wound. Her face went white. "I...I don't suppose you have a first aid kit somewhere do you?"

She wobbled slightly, nearly falling against Clara before she stopped herself. "I...sorry, I'm not normally like this."

Golden Spider

Clara took a step backwards as the other woman offered her hand. “Is that…” She swallowed and Clara’s friendly smile slowly turned to a frown as the other woman started rambling as she started talking about waking up and not knowing where they are. And then the sky? Clara looked upwards and didn’t see anything out if the ordinary. Just the usual expanse of dark blues and blacks, going to streaks of pink and orange on the horizon as the earth rotated on around taking them once more on the endless cycle of night to day to night.

Admittedly she did sound a bit drunk. And Clara bit her lower lip slightly in discomfort starting to look around for any possible aid away from this drunk woman if they started a scene. But of course it was almost night and everyone was in their homes.

And then the woman stepped further into the light and exposing a bit of her stomach which was clearly covered in blood and a bad looking gunshot wound. “Oh!” She exclaimed as the other woman also collapsed against her “y-your need a doctor or an ambulance!” Clara fished her phone out of her pocket. “Shit!” She swore as the screen flashed NO BATTERY she looked at the woman again, as weird as this situation was she couldn’t just let this woman likely bleed out alone when she could do something about it. “Come on my house is only a bit further lets get you inside”

Lady Jenn

For a brief moment Kate considered arguing, more out of a strange instinct than any real disagreement. But then she looked around herself. She had no idea where she was, was barely able to stay upright and wandering around aimlessly would likely only make her current condition about a hundred times worse. She leant against Clara without really thinking about it. "That'd be good. I promise I'll do what I can to repay you once I'm more able to do something."

She looked down at the folder in her hand, noticing that a corner of paper had briefly slipped out of the folder. As she went to slide it back in she frowned, catching a glimpse of 'Locate the Midnight Protocol'.

"I almost wish I was drunk," Kate said, staring at the floor for a moment as she nodded towards the folder. "This...thing was important enough for someone to give to me and tell me to save it for emergencies but...I've got no fucking idea what it means." She managed a wry laugh. "I know it's an insanely longshot, but I don't suppose you've heard of this...Midnight Protocol before?"

Golden Spider

Clara put an arm around her to help steady her as she leaned against her "Don't worry about that now let's just get you in and my phone charged and we can call you an ambulance" She started slowly leading her back to her house. "Well, maybe you're some sort of super Spy. 007 type," she quipped "Secret 'in case of emergency' folders and a codename like 'Midnight Protocol' that's like right out of some Cheesy blockbuster film with more explosions than any real plot"

Despite her door only being a couple of hundred feet away the journey felt like it took about 20 minutes, with the fact that Clara had to guide both a horribly bleeding woman, and an excitable pup, but likely only took about 5 at most. Eventually, though they arrived at 3506 Kingsbird Dr. aka home sweet home, after fumbling a bit with her keys, not wanting to let the woman go in fear that she may collapse completely, the door swung open to reveal a small entryway, clearly designed for donning and doffing coats, shoes, and other outerwear before heading into the building proper.

Clara lead her through the entryway, almost letting out a "shoes please" by habit before catching herself, and through the open archway into a warmly decorated living room, with walls a soft brown, just a shade darker from tan really, a couch, a couple of armchairs, all around a small coffee table in front of a fireplace with a mounted television. "sorry in advance" she said right before she rather unceremoniously dumped the woman onto the couch. She then knelt down beside the woman, and gently took off her shoes before moving her legs up onto the couch as well. "just... don't die on me while I find my first aid kit ok?"

Lady Jenn

"I can't be a very good spy if I'm bleeding all over you," Kate said, laughing before wincing as the effort made her side hurt. "I promise I'll make it up to you for this...somehow." She couldn't help looking at the other woman, finding herself drawn to the other woman. There were so many things she wanted to say, questions she wanted to ask...but she realized at that moment there was a bigger problem for her to focus on.

She made no attempt to resist Clara's help, admiring the house's interior as she was helped onto the couch and lying back letting out a sigh. She felt as if the answers to what was going on were in her mind somewhere, but it was out of reach. She found herself briefly closing her eyes, which caused her to see, for a moment, a flash of purple, making her jolt up, only to yelp at the pain.

She looked around, realizing Clara had left the room. "You have a really nice house," she called out. "I promise I'll try not to ruin your sofa cover." She looked around, accidentally finding herself looking for any sign of other people in the house. "Damn Kate," she said, chuckling quietly. "You just nearly died on the woman, let's not start chatting the poor girl up. There are more important things to worry about right now." She looked at the folder, sat on the table where she'd dropped it. "The hell is going on here?"

Outside, unseen by either woman, two smartly dressed men had suddenly appeared in the road, one bending down to examine the blood that Kate had left behind. His colleague, wearing a pair of grey sunglasses, was scanning their surroundings. "Calan, you told me this was where you sent her."

Calan stood up. "It was, but I can't detect any trace of her. We could go door to door and ask questions."

The bespectacled man shook his head. "We're supposed to not be drawing attention to ourselves. We should call this in."

With that the two men vanished, leaving no sign either of them had ever been there...

Golden Spider

Clara rushed back out at hearing her yelp in pain “I said don’t fucking die god damn it!” She hurried back over to the choice and knelt down again next to her, holding a small first aid kit. “You’re gonna need to take your shirt off so I can help you.” She said rummaging through her kit. Thankfully the county had paid for her to get first aid certified just in case an emergency happens at the library so she can help as much as possible until the ambulance got there. “I plugged my phone in as well, it’s gonna take a bit to charge but then we can call for an ambulance for you. I know a little first aid though but I don’t want to do more then disinfect the wound, don’t want to stitch it up if the bullet is still in there and that’s way out of my league.”

Despite the tense situation Clara still felt her eyes get stuck on admiring the woman’s toned stomach after she had removed the shirt. Clara shook her head to focus “okay this is going to sting a bit” she said before pressing the disposable disinfectant wipes to the wound.

Lady Jenn

Kate found herself blushing slightly at the fact she was lying on the woman's sofa in her bra. "Y'know, I don't usually let people get me naked this quick-Fuck," she yelped at the sensation as the wipes touched the wound, nearly swearing again before she stopped herself. "Bloody hell, you'd think I'd at least remember the whole being shot thing." She laughed again, although this time more to hide the amount of pain she was finding herself in. Though she wasn't sure why she was trying to act tough around Clara.

Her eyes fell on the phone in its charger. "Look, I..." She chewed her lip, feeling stupid that she felt so shy around someone she'd just met. "You might have just saved my life, but...I can't ask you to come to the hospital with me. I'm sure you've got a life to be getting on with, you don't need to be babysitting me." She reached out to stroke Clara's hand, at which point she noticed, or the first time, the bracelet on her wrist. On the top was an image that meant nothing to her, while underneath was the word "Help" and a number she couldn't decipher because it was too small. "Well, someone apparently tried to help me, I-" A hand went to her head, an intense pain hitting her as she saw the purple glow again. "Can...can you get me a glass of water?"

Golden Spider

Clara blushed slightly at the blatant flirting in her words “yeah? I thought you didn’t remember anything, how do you know you didn’t get shot by a scorned lover?” She retorted as she continues to clean the wound. Soon she was finished and carefully applied a bandage over the wound as well. She examined the bracelet as well as the woman held it out “well whoever it was did a bad fucking job to leave you with a gunshot wound” she stood up now as Kate asked for a glass of water. “Yeah of course. I’ll be right back. Wish I could give you some pain relief but all I have is Ibproufen and that can make it worse”

Clara went to the kitchen and after some rummaging found a package of disposable cups and filled one with water. Returning to Kate she handed her the water and helped her sit up slightly so she can drink it easier. “I thought it was better to give you a cup you couldn’t break if you accidentally dropped or knocked it over. And don’t even think that I’m going to let you go to that hospital yourself. I may not even know your name but I couldn’t live with myself if I did that. Besides they will want to ask me some questions since i was the one that found you. Especially since you’ve been shot.”

Lady Jenn

Kate had laid back and rested her head against a cushion, but opened her eyes again as soon as she heard Clara enter the room. She sat up as much as her pain levels would allow her, taking the cup from her. "I honestly don't blame you. And to correct my oversight," she said, leaning over to kiss Clara's hand. "The name is Kate...unfortunately I can't remember my surname. Or...much else about me."

As she drank she found herself watching Clara, feeling torn. On the one hand, somewhere in the back of my mind, it felt like she should protect Clara from whatever she was involved in. On the other hand right at that moment the kind woman was the only person she had to speak to. "This is going to sound insane but...when I woke up, there was a streak of purple in the sky. I thought I imagined it but I keep seeing flashes of it." She let out a brief laugh. "I probably sound like I'm hallucinating, on top of everything else."

Golden Spider

Clara smiled and flushed slightly “nice to meet you Kate, well in any other situation probably having you bleed over my couch puts a damper on things.” Clara sat down on one of her armchairs.

“Well I don’t want to say crazy but I didn’t see anything. You said you can’t remember anything so who’s to say you don’t have a major concussion or something. Another reason for the hospital.” She checked her phone again to find it finally with a tiny sliver of battery “finally!” She picked up her phone and dialed the emergency line “yes hello? I found a woman collapsed on the side of the road, she seems to have been shot… yes address is…” she continued telling the 911 operator everything that had happened. And before a half hour later the ambulance was screamed up to her door

Lady Jenn

Kate didn't listen to the 911 call, finding her mind drifting as she lay on the couch. She could feel a growing sense of unease though. Not because of Clara, she felt safe in her house. But...something in the back of her mind was causing her to have a growing feeling of concern.

She was quiet till the call ended. "Hey, could you..." She chewed on her lip for a moment. "This'll sound weird, but could you come in the ambulance with me? I just...I could do with a familiar face with me when I go in the ambulance." Although she was doing her best to give the impression of being calm and relaxed she was shaking slightly. Not due to illness or side effects, just out of panic. 'Get a hold of yourself' she thought to herself. 'The poor woman probably already can't wait to be rid of you.'

Golden Spider

Clara frowned slightly and absentmindedly reached over and gently touched Kate's hand with her own. "I'm not sure if they will let me, but if they do I will." She watched Kate for a moment before noticing her shaking a bit "Are you cold? one sec I'll see if I can find a blanket" She got back up and walked off again, into a hallway searching for her blanket stash "And one I don't mind getting all bloody at that" she murmured to herself.

As she did so, probably somehow naturally intuiting that the part where she needed to stay out of the was was well over Ami padded over to Kate on the couch and sat down in front of her, starting to lick her fingers that were hanging over the couch side.

Soon Clara returned as well with a blanket that was a dark brown color, and extremely soft. "here ya go," She said laying the blanket down on top of her "I see Ami likes you too."

Lady Jenn

Kate was glad for the distraction of the dog, welcoming her attention with a warm smile. Having quickly realized using her injured arm would cause her more issues than it was worth, she reached across and scratched the top of Ami's head, for the first time since she had woken up in the street relaxing slightly.

She was surprised at how wonderful the blanket was as it draped over her. But for the fact she was certain she should stay awake she would've closed her eyes. "Well I like Ami too." She flashed a cheeky smile at Clara. "I'm hoping Amy's not the only one who..." She couldn't finish the sentence, a wave of pain hitting her so strongly she was doubled over, a hand to her head. "It's...It hurts so bad."

Golden Spider

Clara returned her smile and then frowned as Kate was obviously seized by another wave of pain "I'm sorry, the ambulance should be here soon I-" She cut off as at that moment the sound of said ambulance screamed down the street before stopping outside her house. She hurried to meet them at the door, and stood aside as they did their job with securing Kate and getting her loaded up. Holding Ami to keep her out from underfoot.

"well I just found her there, she said she couldn't remember anything, just her name Kate, and after I realized she was shot I brought her in and did a little first aid, I'm trained in it as the librarian. I just disinfected it and put a bandage on it, didn't want to risk stitching it up or anything else in case the bullet is still in there, other then that she seems fairly lucid. but said she was seeing strange flashes of light, accompanied by bad headaches." she said to the Ambulance doctor. "Is uh.. there room in the back? she asked me to go with her, I don't really know her at all, but I cant just let you take her off and forget the whole thing, I wouldn't be able to live with myself."

Lady Jenn

The two doctors shared a look, before the older of the two offered a sympathetic smile. "Of course you can, they might need to you to wait outside when you get there though, they'll want to check her over." She headed towards the cab were her colleague had already climbed in. "Another person seeing lights? That's the third..." the conversation trailled off as the door closed.

Kate was drifting in and out of consciousness, only vaguely aware of where she was, nevermind what she was saying. "Ankar...the Protocol...they killed..." She knew more than she realized...not that her mind seemed capable of realising it. "Clara...need to...Clara..." She made a half-hearted attempt to sit up but was strapped in too securely for it to be remotely successful."

Golden Spider

Clara nodded "Of course, I understand that completely, I just want to make sure she's taken care of." she joined the EMTs and they all climbed into the Ambulance and they made their way onwards. Clara noted the fact that others had had similar experiences, but filed it away for later, she just wanted to make sure Kate was alright at the moment>

Turned out it is a good thing that Clara joined the EMTs and kate in the ambulance as halfway into the trip Kate started muttering and thrashing, saying various random things but mainly calling her name. Clara took her hand as she trashed and called for her "Shh, its ok Kate, Its Clara, I'm right here, It's ok, you're safe" she put her other hand gently on her shoulder to try to stop her from trashing and sitting up "you're in the ambulance now, just relax and let the nice folk do their jobs"

Lady Jenn

Although Kate showed no signs of realizing Clara was there she relaxed at Clara's touch. After a brief indecipherable groan she finally lost consciousness, although she seemed relatively peaceful. The quiet was almost serene as they finally reached the hospital, the EMTs wheeling Kate into the ER while a kind nurse found Clara a seat as close to the room as she would be allowed.

Occasionally the door opened enough to give a glimpse of her treatment, including a brief sight of a male doctor injecting something into her arm while the rest of the staff were distracted with other things.

Finally, after what seemed an eternity, the doctor was the final one to leave the room. Although he was dressed like any doctor on shift would be there was a strange glow visible in his eyes. He offered Clara his hand. "She's lucky you found her, we managed to remove the bullet and bandage her wounds. We do want to keep her under observation for the night but you can spend some time with her at least. Just press the call button if you need anything." He started walking away, placing something in his pocket as he did so. Meanwhile, in the room, Kate was alive, but she was lying completely still on the bed, fully unconscious and seeming completely lost to the world.

Golden Spider

Clara nodded "Thanks doctor." she said not noticing the unusual glow in his eyes. Clara made her way into Kate's room and sat on one of the chairs next to the bed. Clara stayed there for a couple of hours, only leaving to buy some entertainment (some crappy romance novel from the hospital gift shop), grab some coffee and snacks from the vending machines, and step outside to make some calls, letting her boss know she wouldn't be able to make it to work today, and asking a neighbor to make sure Ami was fed and walked if she didn't make it home by the evening.

Clara really couldn't say why they stayed there with Kate, even years after, the line she kept using of "just being a good samaritan" stopped being reasonable once Kate was in the hospital, but Clara still remained, even to the point of the now entire exciting and scary night caught up with her and she fell asleep herself in the hospital chair.

Lady Jenn

Kate woke up slowly at about 5am, still feeling mildly groggy but thinking clearly enough that she saw Clara next to her. She pulled Clara's hand to her mouth, kissing her knuckles gently without a second thought. "Thank you," she said quietly. It was then that she saw the folded piece of paper on the stand next to her bed. Not able to see anyone else in the room she opened it.

Hospital compromised. You and Clara are in danger. Call this number

Kate's blood ran cold. She might not remember much but she felt a rush of fear the woman next to her might be in danger because of her. She took a moment to consider her options but she knew her only options. She shook Clara gently. "Clara, don't panic but...I think we need to get out of here." Even as she said it she couldn't hide her own growing alarm.

Golden Spider

Clara moaned slightly as Kate shoved her, waking her up "mm, wha-?" Clara, flushed slightly realizing she fell asleep in the chair. "what? leave? no no kate, it's okay" she said taking her hand. "I know it's scary but you're safe here, the doctors know what they're doing, they can help you. Are you feeling better at all? maybe I should call the nurse" She leaned over for the call button

Lady Jenn

"Clara, someone left this," Kate said, passing her the note. "They must've done it while we were both asleep, I just need-" She started to stand up, only to have to sit straight back down after a wave of dizziness struck her. "The fuck? How do I feel worse in hospital than I did..."

She stopped as she caught sight of her reflection in the mirror. She checked it two, three, four times to be sure. "Clara, did you check what they were injecting me with? Because I can account for every injection site except this one." She pointed to a bruise halfway up her right arm.

Right where the doctor had injected her...

Golden Spider

Clara shook her head as she read the note "what the fuck? Maybe you actually are some sort of super spy." she bit her lower lip. "who would've done this, maybe they're just trying to scare us?" Clara shook her head again "no I didn't even if I asked I wouldn't have understood anything, I know books not medicine, you think someone drugged you to make it harder to run?"

Lady Jenn

She chewed her lip, at that point wishing more than ever her memory would sort itself out. "My guess? I don't think you were supposed to find me. They were relying on you leaving me here and if I was too out of it on drugs to fight back..." She slammed her hand against the bed. "People are trying to kill me and I still have no damn idea why."

She found herself looking into Clara's eyes for a moment. "Look, I..." She paused. "I don't know what I'm walking into here. You've got a house, a dog, a life...If you wanted to walk away from this for your own safety I won't blame you." Her eyes drifted to Clara's lips for a moment, a desire to kiss the beautiful woman pushing at her mind. But she doubted the other woman would be interested. She wobbled as she got to her feet. "I'm going to guess waiting to be discharged isn't a great idea for me."