Startrek The Glenn vs The Terran (AbyssDruidXProfRobin)

Started by ProfRobin, April 23, 2020, 07:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProfRobin

Startrek brainstorm, plot details, characters.

Location: Corridors of the science department - U.S.S. Glenn (original universe).
Time: 1:54pm, Sunday, 15th of June, Year 2256 (earth years)

It was just another regular Sunday afternoon for Com. Ava Janeway, as she made her way to her lab from to the command centre. A small spring in her step as she walked confidently by the different laboratories of the science department. This caused her dark auburn hair, to swing lightly from side to side, and her blue uniform made a soft swishing sound with every step she took. Every few moments she would stop to look at the different research posters and proposals, posted outside each lab, interested in the comings and goings of the other people. She said to herself ‘one day I will knock on their doors and make some new friends’.  The days seemed to blend together ever since she assumed her new position as the head of the deep space communications and research laboratory at the department of Quantum Mechanics, on board the Glenn. Her lab was a small one, currently only serving for research purposes, but it was to become operational if ever the ship was in need of her newly developed system for tracking of deep space communications. She didn’t really have a lot of spare time for socializing, ever since she became commander, there was always a meeting she had to attend, albeit most of them she thought were a waste of time, she would much rather be in her lab, doing some more research, or perhaps discussing an idea or two with Jack. He was her best friend, ever since childhood. They had attended the academy together, as well as the officer’s training course, but each went their separate ways, him becoming a medical officer and her, a quantum Engineer.

For someone who was interested in signals coming from the past, and cataloguing them, it was quite weird the only constant reminder of time for her, was the small watch she had in her pocket. It was a family heirloom, given to her by her grandmother on the day she had joined Starfleet. A few doors ahead of her she watched as a group of engineering Cadets exited the spore room, and headed excitedly in the direction of the mess hall, chatting and laughing, and making an awful lot of noise. Suddenly, an announcement was made: “Calling all young officers to the mess hall, please be there in 10 minutes time for an announcement.” ‘That’s new’ Ava thought to herself. Turning on her heals as she heard this, she headed straight to the medical department to meet up with Jack.

Time: 2:00pm Sunday, 15th of June, Year 2256 (earth years)

As they entered the Mess hall, her excitement grew in anticipation for the upcoming announcement. The hall was full of spectators, young officers, hailing from all of the ship’s departments. Many were saying their greetings, or tasting one of the many appetizers laid out festively on the various tables. Looking around she saw the unusually lavish decorations, the whole hall was covered with silver and blue ribbons, connected to balloons. Soft ambient music was playing in the background to contribute to the mood. ‘They did it, they finally did it!’ Jack said to her, but before she could even reply the 2nd officer stepped on stage.

She was a stern woman, in her late 40s, the golden uniform accentuating her dark features and contributing to her powerful stance, commanding the attention of the whole room with only her silence. A few moments passed and she began her speech, her deep alto voice echoing in the room: “I would like to thank you all for joining us in the Mess Hall this Sunday afternoon.  It is with tentative pleasure that I announce the first stages for the spore drive have been completed. I am sure you have all heard rumours of the device we are creating on board; it will allow us to travel great distances of space, withing less than a few seconds, going at speeds faster than light. We have achieved a great feat, breaking the limits thought unbreakable to the whole known universe. I propose a toast to our science and engineering team”. The first officer stood behind her and handed her a glass of sparkling champagne once she finished the first part of the speech. “where no man has gone before” she said before raising her glass, the whole crowd raising their hands in salute and repeating after her, and then she drank form the glass.

Feeling a bit dizzy, the 2nd officer stepped off of the stage, and called up her assistant to finish her announcement. The crowd broke into whispers until a slender young blond, also clad in the golden command uniform herself began speaking. “In honour of this day, and to decide the location of the first test jump, we would like to start a competition. ‘Woo!’ Any young officer, serving less than 5 years with Starfleet on an active mission is welcome to compete. The winner will decide the destination of the jump. In the spirit of comradery, we are looking for those brave enough to take…” looking at her notes she stopped for a moment before continuing, the harsh sound of the microphone as it touched the papers filling the room. “...a leap of faith, and trust their lives to another start crew member. Only the best team will win.” Finishing her speech, the crowd burst into cheers, clapping. She was barely able to speak above the commotion “Oh! There is a catch” she said theatrically but she had lost the attention of the crowd “10 pairs will be randomly selected from those who decide to enter the competition. Please take the next 10 minutes to sign up and we will announce the names of the competitors after.”

Ava, like many of the others in the room hadn’t even noticed the last few sentences of the speech. She immediately looked at Jack with a knowing smile, and knew they were thinking the same thing. They were going to sign up together, and together they were unbeatable. She rushed forward, towards the sign-up booth, to put down their names without even thinking twice, and he rushed straight after her pushing through a group of lieutenants  wearing blue science division uniforms 'sorry, coming through', in order to stand right behind Ava in line. 
[tr][td]
Lady[/td][td]| ProfRobin[/td][td]| O/O[/td][td]| Active RPs: 5 [/td][td] | Updated - 30.5.20 - A/A [/td][td]| Cafe [/td][/tr][/table]
[tr][td]
[/td][td] [/td][/tr][/table]

AbyssDruid

Time: 1330 hrs(1:30pm), Sunday, 15th of June, Year 2256 (earth years)

“My god, Lieutenant- do you want to kill us all?”

She blinked. It was rhetorical, not requiring an answer. A criticism designed to make her feel more guilt and shame than she rightfully had need to. Anyone more confident would have called it melodramatic, but for Oriane Assanti, she felt just a tiny shred of panic. A need to justify or defend herself.

“No Sir! I-”

But her superior officer wasn’t done...he had a reputation to protect, and Straal’s dressing downs were nothing short of legendary among the crew.

“So you innocently miscalculated the distance between our proposed jump site and the nearest star? Do I have to hold your hand? Should I take you through course plotting step by step like they did at the academy?”

Behind her, Oriane could feel the alarm and bemused attention of the other officers assigned to building and operating the spore drive. She hadn’t been, of course. It wasn’t her area of expertise, but mapping space accurately for the jumps to be calculated safely...Well she’d made a mistake, the calculations took them very near a blue super giant, there was no point denying it. Even if it wasn’t quite as fatal a mistake as he made it out to be. Her jaw clenched, the muscles flexing as she bit back the reflex to argue as she always had with her many sisters. This was Starfleet, not her mother’s kitchen. They expected accountability and solutions, not excuses. Why was that still so hard?

“It won’t happen again Sir.”

Dr. Justin Straal tossed the datapad onto the nearest workstation in disgust, his attention already turned back to the spore drive.

“Of course it won’t. From now on, Ensign Piers will be double-checking all your calculations before they get to me. Congratulations Lieutenant Assanti, you’ve lost my faith in your competency. Now get out of my engine room, we’ve got deadlines to meet.”

Beside Dr. Straal, Ensign Piers offered a cringing smile, his discomfort and empathy radiating across the distance. Face burning with shame and the intense need to interject, Oriane turned quickly and fled from the Engine Room. What else could she do? Returning to the AstroMetrics lab, she found her station beside her shift mate, an Andorian female designated Lieutenant Commander Aran Tanis . Assanti gave her a smile, and the woman smiled in return, though her twitching antennae and assessing look made it obvious Oriane was doing a poor job keeping her feelings off her face.

“Straal on the war path again?” she asked.

Assanti nodded, pulling up the next several sectors of space to be processed and mapped upon her console.

“As always. The slightest deviation from absolute perfection and he’s convinced we’re all purposely wasting his precious time.”

Tanis grinned sardonically, mildly amused by human theatrics as was typical of other alien races within Starfleet. Being half one and the other, Oriane could certainly understand the sentiment- understanding human behavior herself only half the time at best. Falling into a rhythm side by side, they worked in companionable silence for the rest of the shift. When the hour chimed, the Andorian female stood, smoothing the skirt of her modified uniform.

“Want to go to the Mess? I’m dying for some Katheka before my evening shift.” 

Assanti looked up at Tanis and nodded with a smile.

Time: 1400(2pm), Sunday, 15th of June, Year 2256 (earth years)

They entered the mess hall together, Oriane eyeing the crowd gathering there with some confusion. The AstroMetrics lab was second only to Interstellar Cartography with being disconnected from the ‘grapevine’ of the ship- which naturally meant Assanti had no idea whatsoever what had everyone so excited as they packed like sardines into a room made to house only one fourth of the ship’s personnel at a time.

“What’s this about?” she asked Tanis.

Tanis shrugged, pushing bodily through the mass of officers toward the replicators on the far wall. It didn’t take long for the others to get the idea and get out of the Andorian’s way. Oriane felt a pang of envy, wishing she could command such an aura of respect. Instead, she was resigned to weaving and dodging as she took up one empty space after another while navigating the perimeter of the crowded room toward the replicators. Upon arriving, she found Lt. Cmdr Tanis already sipping her Katheka, one shoulder propped against the wall.

“Well..that was the cutest dance I ever saw.” she teased.

Oriane cringed, ducking her head as she quietly ordered her food. Tray in hand, she turned to find the bridge’s 2nd officer addressing the assembled crew of an impending competition regarding their first jump.

‘...Any young officer, serving less than 5 years with Starfleet on an active mission is welcome to compete. The winner will decide the destination of the jump. In the spirit of comradery, we are looking for those brave enough to take…10 pairs will be randomly selected from those who decide to enter the competition. Please take the next 10 minutes to sign up and we will announce the names of the competitors after.’

She and Tanis shared a look, knowing the severity of the lecture she’d received from Straal on her earlier miscalculations. He would undoubtedly be furious about this...Oriane smiled.

“Are you signing up?” Tanis asked from behind her mug as she sipped lazily, forever unimpressed it seemed, by the excitability of the human race.

Oriane’s smile widened, her spirits brightening as she watched the other officers pushing and vying for a spot in line. She took Tanis’ free hand and pulled her toward the line.

“Yes. We are.”

Tanis sighed.

“You can’t be serious. I don’t want more work. Besides, I have a meeting with command in thirty minutes.”

Oriane gave up on the concept of pulling the Andorian and moved behind her to push her along toward the line.

“So? Look, Commander Gavin’s already in line! If he has enough time to sign up, so do you.”

One by one, the officers put their names down and left the mess hall, until at last, it was their turn. Tanis sighed, feigning utter indifference, and so Oriane signed them both up. The 2nd Officer eyed them both as they signed, smiling professionally as they departed, but otherwise saying nothing. Oriane caught the shade of carefully restrained disapproval from her as they left, and she quickened her step. Obviously this competition was for everyone, but it was their every day job...perhaps the 2nd Officer felt they should give others the chance.

As if reading her thoughts, Tanis gave Assanti a forceful shoulder nudge.

“She’s a proper stick in the mud. Go eat your...what is that foul smelling sludge in your bowl?”

Oriane’s brow furrowed as she looked down at the forgotten bowl on her tray.

“It’s clam chowder and you know it. You say that every single time.”

But in spite of herself, she was smiling. Tanis shrugged, grinning behind an almost empty mug.

“Smells worse than tuber root.”

“You’re a tuber root.” Oriane retorted.

(*Stand by for Elias Gavin’s POV posted separately as his own character*)
'Sometimes people will tell you to be kind, when what they really mean is be quiet.'
O/O- UPDATED
(Current Wants-/ UPDATED 12/3/2023)

AbyssDruid

Mess Hall
1400 hrs

He watched the throng pile into the Mess Hall one group after another, the buzz of conversation reaching a decibel he found unsettling in any situation. Crowds were never his favorite situation, no matter the faces he spotted in it. And this one in particular, held no faces worth his attention. He’d been against the idea of a ‘competition’ from the beginning. Starfleet did not operate on the precept of fun. It was an organization made for exploration and peace.

Obviously, he did not approve of their joviality over a subject of the utmost importance.

But his opinions had been overridden by the Captain and he’d let the matter go as the chain of command dictated. That didn’t mean however, that he would make it easy for ensigns and lieutenants to have a chance at picking a location that might(or might not) decide the success of their ship’s mission. So he’d gotten into line after the announcement, prepared to put his name in for a chance. It gave the appearance of participation, of camaraderie, which played out well if examined. In truth, he had little interest in even one member of the ship’s crew. If they succeeded or failed, it mattered only so much as it effected the running of the ship.

He stepped forward when his turn came, signing his name on the list and gave a cursory smile to his 2nd. She returned the gesture, and he made to leave. He didn’t do so, however. Taking up a spot behind some stragglers by the door and watching as the line shrunk one crew member at a time. It was good to know who had an interest, and who would stand in his way. And while the selection of teams might be random to the rest of the crew, he most certainly would make sure it wasn’t where he was concerned...
'Sometimes people will tell you to be kind, when what they really mean is be quiet.'
O/O- UPDATED
(Current Wants-/ UPDATED 12/3/2023)

ProfRobin

(Hi! I was sick with a fever for the past few days, which is why it has taken me so long to reply... Also, my first reply got accidently deleted from closing my browser >< so I decided to change things a bit)

Mess Hall
1420 hrs
Pov - 2nd officer

As soon as she finished her speech, she felt dizzy, the champagne she drank had an especially quick effect on her, and a smell she couldn't quite put her finger on, and that is why she had asked her assistant to fill in for her. 'This confirms my suspicions. How could I let this happen? Medical will know what to do, there has to be an antidote on board' she thought to herself as she tried to hold back the nausea and headache, battling against herself not to lose consciousness. 'Someone doesn't want me running the competition, they must know I'm onto them'.  She had kept the real reason why she proposed this competition a secret. For the past few months, she had suspected they had a traitor on board, it was small things, like the documents on her desk not being organized exactly like she had left them, a paper clip, or a pen moved. As the past head of security, the division she grew up in, she knew the signs well, and she was always on the lookout, suspicious of everyone, her only devotion was to the mission, and to the greater good. She had hoped a prize such as this, the ability to choose the ship's first jump location would lure even the most calculated person. A competition was the perfect avenue to see exactly how motivated a person was, and also it would help her narrow the list.

By the time that 1st officer Gavin had walked up to the podium to sign his name, she wasn't focused enough to understand what was happening, she gave him the smile, and it wasn't long before she stumbled and passed out. Hitting her head against the side of the stage.

The crowd burst into a huge rumble of panic as the few medical officers which had gathered up for the announcement had quickly rushed to her side. Jack among them.

Mess Hall
1420 hrs
Pov - Jack Arton

After signing his name on the list, Jack had followed Ava to one of the tables with appetizers, they chose a couple of plates with steamed buns of different flavours and sat down at one of the tables. "These new replicators never cease to surprize me" he said as he licked the sauce off of his lips before taking another big bite "this is absolutely delicious".

Ava replied, smiling after a delicious bite of her own "Hey, we should try to get the manual for them, so we know what foods are available. I bet we don't even know half of the foods on offer even exist, could be interesting." Her grin was infectious and he was smiling back without even noticing. How she was eating that steamed bun was giving him Goosebumps, but he quickly pushed the thought out of his mind.

"You know what?" he replied with his baritone voice "I might know a guy, from engineering, he comes in to medical at least twice a week. Maybe he can hook us up, I'll ask him next time."

The small banter between them continued until the already noisy room got even loader as a crowd started gathering around the second officer's unconscious body. As soon as he noticed, Jack stood up quickly form his chair, and rushed to the middle of it all. As if it was a practiced dance, he started giving out orders "Give her some room to breathe, lift up her legs". His hand went straight to her neck, trying to feel a pulse, it was there, but it was weak, and then he couldn't feel it anymore. He started shouting, pointing fingers, but his actions calm and collected "I need an evacuation to medical, NOW! You, go set the alarm. Everyone, drop what you're doing, line up, I'm starting CPR"

He started the first set of compressions, as the other medical officers which were there gathered around, followed his instructions. They started to prepare her for evacuation, lining up behind him to switch with him as soon as he finished the first set. A few moments later, and one of them shouted "I have a pulse". They quickly met up with the emergency team that arrived within moments, and scooped the second officer onto a gurney, putting an oxygen mask over her lips, and connecting her to a cpr machine. “Alright, everyone ready? Let’s go!” He instructed, and as soon as they did, with military precision, they started clearing the crowd, and moving the unexpected patient in the direction of the sickbay.

As all of this was happening, the 2nd officer’s assistant was panicking, deciding she couldn’t continue the announcement of the chosen couples on that day, she tried to shout over the commotion. “Pairs will be announced in two days’ time... They will be posted on the notice board here in the Mess hall… Please clear the way for the gurney… sorry for your inconvenience…”
[tr][td]
Lady[/td][td]| ProfRobin[/td][td]| O/O[/td][td]| Active RPs: 5 [/td][td] | Updated - 30.5.20 - A/A [/td][td]| Cafe [/td][/tr][/table]
[tr][td]
[/td][td] [/td][/tr][/table]