Skull & Shackles: Pirates of the Skies [Pathfinder | Now closed]

Started by Heady Dionysus, November 29, 2017, 02:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobyntheWitch

Re Z L

Quote from: RobyntheWitch on December 02, 2017, 07:45:34 PM
But can you combine vital strike with a spell strike of that?
That IS the question.

I don't see why not, though it's just the weapon dice that would get increased/effected
A&A

Revelation

Quote from: Re Z L on December 02, 2017, 07:50:26 PM
I don't see why not, though it's just the weapon dice that would get increased/effected
Actually rereading how vital strike works, this is correct. You only get weapon dice as mentioned. I thought spellstrike did not count as an attack action for some reason.

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: Changingsaint on December 02, 2017, 07:49:04 PM
If I recall you cannot.

As far as I'm aware, you can.

Spellstrike reads:

QuoteAt 2nd level, whenever a magus casts a spell with a range of “touch” from the magus spell list, he can deliver the spell through any weapon he is wielding as part of a melee attack. Instead of the free melee touch attack normally allowed to deliver the spell, a magus can make one free melee attack with his weapon (at his highest base attack bonus) as part of casting this spell. If successful, this melee attack deals its normal damage as well as the effects of the spell.

And Vital Strike reads:

QuoteWhen you use the attack action, you can make one attack at your highest base attack bonus that deals additional damage.

Spellstrike gives you a free Melee Attack, which although free is still an Attack Action. So Vital Strike would apply as well, as far as I'm aware.
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Daril

With simple firearms being commonplace in this setting, do they still require an exotic weapon proficiency?

Revelation

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on December 02, 2017, 07:55:25 PM

Spellstrike reads:

And Vital Strike reads:

Spellstrike gives you a free Melee Attack, which although free is still an Attack Action. So Vital Strike would apply as well, as far as I'm aware.
See above post!

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: Daril on December 02, 2017, 07:57:32 PM
With simple firearms being commonplace in this setting, do they still require an exotic weapon proficiency?

Yes. :P

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

RobyntheWitch

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on December 02, 2017, 07:55:25 PM

Spellstrike reads:

And Vital Strike reads:

Then beware of my vital shocker! ... The sword, not the hand maneuver.

kingmaster1

Revelation

Thinking on it, I might nix a weapon based eidolon for a bestial one, we already have enough ladies as it is, and I think a beast type could be more easy to work with.

RobyntheWitch

Quote from: Changingsaint on December 02, 2017, 08:02:14 PM
Thinking on it, I might nix a weapon based eidolon for a bestial one, we already have enough ladies as it is, and I think a beast type could be more easy to work with.

Easier is good, though there can never be enough ladies. My wife played a summoner and her Eidolon was based around the tattooed priestess from fatal frame 3, she was bestial and lovely.

Revelation

Quote from: RobyntheWitch on December 02, 2017, 08:07:07 PM
Easier is good, though there can never be enough ladies. My wife played a summoner and her Eidolon was based around the tattooed priestess from fatal frame 3, she was bestial and lovely.
Basically leaning toward a psychopomp Eidolon. My character had a near death experience and something... followed him back, and obeys his beck and call - though he also knows in some sense that it's his 'end', and when he dies it's guiding him to the afterlife. However rather than being grim or remorseful over it, sees it as liberating and seeks to travel the world, and make the most of his life with his guide at his side, so that in death it's known what he experienced and how he lived and none can deny that. In between, he seeks to have fun, and enjoy himself.

kingmaster1

Quote from: Changingsaint on December 02, 2017, 08:11:14 PM
Basically leaning toward a psychopomp Eidolon. My character had a near death experience and something... followed him back, and obeys his beck and call - though he also knows in some sense that it's his 'end', and when he dies it's guiding him to the afterlife. However rather than being grim or remorseful over it, sees it as liberating and seeks to travel the world, and make the most of his life with his guide at his side, so that in death it's known what he experienced and how he lived and none can deny that. In between, he seeks to have fun, and enjoy himself.

Ohhh, that sounds so cool! :O

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: Changingsaint on December 02, 2017, 08:02:14 PM

Why not go for a Synthesist? Your character had a NDE, and that Something has to manifest THROUGH her rather than separate from her. :D

Revelation

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on December 02, 2017, 08:15:15 PM
Why not go for a Synthesist? Your character had a NDE, and that Something has to manifest THROUGH her rather than separate from her. :D
I am actually playing a guy. :P

Synthesist is cool, but I'm not sure how it works with unchained summoner... and it's actually a tad weaker than normal summoner, since instead of badass summon+spellcaster, you just get a mishmash. It's a possibility though.

Vergil Tanner

I think it still works. And hey, Synthesist is - I think - really very good. Sure, you don't get spellcasting AND attacks in the same turn, but Summoners spell-lists aren't really THAT good. And the boosts it provides the Summoner? If built right, it can be Broken AF. xD

Vergil Tanner

Revelation

Synthesist summoner is neat, it could work. I also like having a stand a persona A monster to fight and die for me though.

TFcommando

Quote from: RobyntheWitch on December 02, 2017, 06:14:17 PM
But does that also work for the bastard sword, I didn't think it did. I would be looking to grab a katana at that rate, no?
EDIT: It says one handed slashing weapon, and if I have weapon prof. Then I can treat it as a one-handed one, so I am guessing so? I will look into this more. I might just.

Bring on the thick goddess!

The discussion has moved quickly!  Critical hits and a high-crit weapon like the scimitar (and cutlass, which is identical) is an optimal magus method, especially with Dervish Dance (which can't be taken until level 3 due to its skill requirement).  I have terrible, terrible luck with dice though, and favor the big weapon.   One plus for Dervish Dance in an erotic game is that the ranks of Perform: Dance can be put to frequent and sexy use.  :)

A neat trick for the bastard sword/strength magus build is to get Power Attack when you can (another level 3 or later choice).  Use it two-handed when you're not using spell combat and do a lot of extra damage!

Pics!  (Warning: Plump, hairy)

The bottom one is one sharpshooter inspiration.

Pics!

Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

Daril

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on December 02, 2017, 07:59:43 PM
Yes. :P

Darn.  Was hoping to use pistols instead of light crossbow for the draconic sorceress I was working on.  Speaking of which, what are some good feats for a L1 sorcerer?  I've seen Improved Initiative and Toughness recommended.  What about metamagic?  Is it too early for that?

RobyntheWitch

Quote from: TFcommando on December 02, 2017, 08:24:20 PM
The discussion has moved quickly!  Critical hits and a high-crit weapon like the scimitar (and cutlass, which is identical) is an optimal magus method, especially with Dervish Dance (which can't be taken until level 3 due to its skill requirement).  I have terrible, terrible luck with dice though, and favor the big weapon.   One plus for Dervish Dance in an erotic game is that the ranks of Perform: Dance can be put to frequent and sexy use.  :)

A neat trick for the bastard sword/strength magus build is to get Power Attack when you can (another level 3 or later choice).  Use it two-handed when you're not using spell combat and do a lot of extra damage!

Pics!  (Warning: Plump, hairy)

The bottom one is one sharpshooter inspiration.

Pics!

I love the second and third! The first looks like the softest pillow!

Revelation

I'll just be going with a regular summoner, I think it works better. I'll be rewriting my characters history shortly.

Name: Jericho Graves
Nickname: ‘Cho’
Sex: Male

Race: Human
Class: Summoner
Alignment: NG

Basic appearance
image hereBelying an inner strength and fortitude, Jericho isn’t the most physically imposing of men. A little more on the slender and handsome side, he almost appears a little bookish, though of course he’s strong enough to fend for himself in battle when necessary. A man who obviously takes care of his appearance, he has his own charms – if one goes for someone of a glasses wearing persuasion.

His Eidolon however, is a beastly thing. A monster in every sense of the word, clad in dark fur and looking like a hound straight from the depths of hell, it is sleek, elegant, and its eyes burn with amber flame. However, the beast seems loyal to its master, obeying his word and whim - acting much the part of a loyal dog rather than the vicious hound of hell it looks like.

Personality
A good man, Jericho combines a natural curiosity and wonder of the world alongside a desire to explore, do good, and fight a more righteous – if not quite ‘lawful’ fight. Of course, he has a natural desire to compete and show himself to be the best in his particular profession, and the instinct to showboat at times can be a little overwhelming. Such narcissism can quickly fade however, leaving him a little flustered as hit own desires to showboat at times. At the end of the day, Jericho is loyal to friends and allies, and quick to defend them with spell or a command to his summoned being. Death holds little fear to him aside from pain - as he already knows what awaits him beyond.

Background
Born and native to Port Peril itself, Jericho was the child of merchants who had decided to ‘retire’in the city, though rumor has it that they had settled in the city to escape some deal or foul bargain they had bailed on – Jericho was never told the reasons why! Only that they seemed relatively happy with their life within the city. And they expected him to follow in their stead – or at least live a peaceful and quiet life within a city full of sin, piracy, and riches to be had. Of course he’d want to lead the life of a pirate, why wouldn’t he? Of course he himself lacked heavily in brute strength, or rogueish wiles while growing into a fine young man.

What he did not count on was a deathly sickness catching hold of him as a child. For days he fought against a debilitating illness that threatened to take his life, a fever that did not break or give respite, and a deathly pallor that gave him the look of one ready to be buried. His parents sought everything in their power to heal him, from magic that did little, to medicine that seemed to just stave off the inevitable. For two weeks and a day, Jericho fought to stay alive, and every time he sensed his life ebbing... It seemed there was something there to comfort him. To soothe him. A beast - not unlike a wolf or hound stayed close to his side, visible only to him. It did not harm or hurt him, instead laying its head against his hand as he sought to pet and caress the beasts smokey fur. At the end when it seemed Jericho was lost... He made a miraculous recovery, lurching forward with a brow covered in sweat, and bloodshot eyes that had seen death itself. His parents called it a miracle from the gods, and well... The young man did not quite agree, yet he knew it was a miracle all the same. Whatever the illness did to him, it breathed into him the spark of magic, and more. He knew the beast that had stayed with him to the end was a creature of death. Yet it was not hostile, and it seemed to like him - like him enough to tether itself to him somehow. Through the years, Jericho has kept his magic hidden (At times very riskily), and the beast has grown strong at his side all the while. Now a talented mage and summoner, Jericho knows that whatever lies beyond the mortal coil is not to be feared, and to that end he seeks to embrace and embellish life as much as he can. The life of a pirate is perfect for that, to be free and travel, to be beholden to no nation or cause but your own and that of your fellow crew. To enjoy life with a pure zest! And should any seek to strike him down before he is ready, they will find that while he is not quite afraid of death... Others should be, for a sliver of it trods along side him.
---

Posting it here to see what others think. Opinions?

RobyntheWitch

kingmaster1

He's a cutie. Gonna be surrounded by big tiddies all day long, CAN HE HANDLE IT!!!???

Revelation

Quote from: kingmaster1 on December 02, 2017, 09:05:26 PM
He's a cutie. Gonna be surrounded by big tiddies all day long, CAN HE HANDLE IT!!!???
I'd like to say he has a fairly good head on his shoulders!