Interest Check! Blades in the Dark (Koneko House Blend)

Started by MadPanda, January 08, 2017, 02:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadPanda

Thumbnail: "Naughty goth-steampunk catgirl rogues running amok in an industrial-fantasy sandbox of grimsical wonderment and gritty coolness."

("Why catgirls, mate?")
Because some things are just more fun when done by cute perv-bait roof-running badass little kittens in period costume.

("Okay, so...why naughty catgirls?")
Because this is Elliquiy!

("Do I have to play a catgirl?")
No.  Puppygirls, bunnygirls, foxgirls, mousegirls, and tanukigirls are also acceptable.  As are ordinary humans.

So, what's this game about?

Allow me to quote liberally from page 3 of the Quickstart version of the rules--the SRD will hopefully be along very soon as well.

QuoteYou play scoundrels on the streets of Doskvol, an industrial-fantasy city. There’s primitive electrical technology, the printing press, strange alchemy, and simple gunpowder weapons.

You and the other players create a fledgling criminal enterprise—your crew—and then take on illicit jobs to improve your assets and status.
Game play focuses on the moments of daring action during a job (with occasional flashbacks) and the downtime between scores when you
recover and pursue personal interests.

Our setting, in brief

QuoteIt is the year 847 of the Imperium which united the shattered islands of the cataclysm under one rule—all glory to his majesty the Immortal Emperor.

The unquiet spirits of the dead—free to roam the world since the gates of death were shattered in the cataclysm—prey on every living thing in the blasted deadlands between cities.

The port of Doskvol, like every city-stronghold of the Imperium, is encircled by crackling lightning-towers which create an electrical barrier that spirits cannot pass. By law, all corpses are incinerated with electroplasm (to destroy the spirit essence within). However, wealthy citizens, heretics of the spirit cults, and the criminal element often arrange for a spirit to escape destruction at the crematorium. Rogue spirits and the illegal spirit essences derived from them are rich trade for the black market.

The docks of Doskvol, on the cold, windswept northern tip of Akoros, are home port for the titanic iron steamships of leviathan hunters. The blood of those massive demons is the catalyst which gives potency to the plasmic oils which power the city. The noble elite make their fortunes from the fleets of leviathan hunters they deploy on the ink-dark waters of the Void Sea.

General Expectations
1.  3-5 players
2.  Shooting for an Open, Friendly game: we're playing for the fun of it, for mutual entertainment.  Also, there's no passing secret notes to the GM.  In fact, the  GM's rules of engagement specifically prohibit my playing 'gotcha' by witholding secrets in such fashion.
3.  Not a Rule, But...you might want to create a second character for those times when your 'main' character is lost in their vice.
4.  When in doubt, ask!

Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

CeruleanSerenity

Is the quickstart freely available anywhere, or is it the early access version for sale on Drive Thru RPG?

I might have a bit of a thing for catgirls and the like (especially the naughty variety), so you have my attention... but I don't know anything about Blades in the Dark, so I would have to look into it before I can say if I'm interested.

HairyHeretic

I wouldn't mind a look at the rules either, it sounds an interesting setting.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

MadPanda

At the moment, yes, that's the early access file for sale on Drivethru.  That said...I have pulled some information aside for player use (pending the release of the system reference documents, of course) because trying to hand a printout around a virtual table is a bit awkward.

In Memory of Bishrook

Crash

I have the latest rules and kickstarted so heck yes I want to give this a go!

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Pumpkin Seeds

Always been curious about these rules but have been waiting for the full set.

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

Crash

How anthro are you looking for images?

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Pumpkin Seeds

MadPanda

Either would work.  Officially this is a 'catgirl' thing, not a 'furry' thing, but who'm I to say no to a cute bit of fluff?   ;D

In Memory of Bishrook

Crash

Quote from: MadPanda on January 08, 2017, 05:36:50 PM
Either would work.  Officially this is a 'catgirl' thing, not a 'furry' thing, but who'm I to say no to a cute bit of fluff?   ;D

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on January 08, 2017, 05:35:08 PM
Love that steampunk one.

I like the steampunk one too.  I think I will use her as a Leech (Alchemist/Tinkerer).

MadPanda

One Leech on deck...

Okay, Crash, since you have the full set of rules, too, you get to keep me honest.  :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

HairyHeretic

A Whisper might be fun.

For certain definitions of fun ;)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

MadPanda

A Leech and a Whisper walk into a bar...

(ahem)   :D

In Memory of Bishrook

Crash

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 08, 2017, 06:04:12 PM
A Whisper might be fun.

For certain definitions of fun ;)

I was going back and forth with Leech and Whisper.  I think you will enjoy it.

Quote from: MadPanda on January 08, 2017, 05:49:30 PM
Okay, Crash, since you have the full set of rules, too, you get to keep me honest.  :-)

Famous last words. ;)

MadPanda

I was thinking of 'offering' to pre-select a couple of things for the Gang so that we don't have to bicker and argue about which upgrades go where and so on.  Since the type is automatically Shadows (for the QS, anyway).  Thoughts on that, O Bandicootlike One?

In Memory of Bishrook

Crash

MadPanda

Specifically, I was thinking the Special Ability of Everyone Steals and the upgrades of Secure and Quarters.

The first should be obviously useful.  The upgrades?  Well, how else do we explain the obligatory scantily-clad slumber party scene in downtime?  :P

In Memory of Bishrook

Crash

THE LEECH
Crew:
Name: Mara Keel
Alias: Tick Tock (Friends call her Tock)
Look: Stout and wears her well-worn work boots
Heritage: Skovlan: Ore Miners
Background: Labor: Factory Mechanic
Vice/Purveyor: Stupor/ Madame Tesslyn, The Red Lamp, Silkshore

Stress: 0
Trauma: 0
Armor: 0

Actions

INSIGHT
Hunt: 0
Study: 1
Survey: 0
Tinker: 3

PROWESS
Finesse: 0
Prowl: 0
Skirmish: 1
Wreck: 2

RESOLVE
Attune: 0
Command: 0
Consort: 1
Sway: 0

Special Abilities:
Artificer: When you tinker with a device, tool, vehicle, or weapon, you may include advanced alchemical or clockwork features.

Strange Friends:
+Stazia, the apothecary
-Eckerd, the corpse thief

Crash

Quote from: MadPanda on January 08, 2017, 06:14:06 PM
Specifically, I was thinking the Special Ability of Everyone Steals and the upgrades of Secure and Quarters.

The first should be obviously useful.  The upgrades?  Well, how else do we explain the obligatory scantily-clad slumber party scene in downtime?  :P

Sounds good to me!

MadPanda

Damn!  That was fast. And properly done, to boot!  Folks, Crash here has it down...so I guess I better get that game up at some point so we know where to put everybody!

Was thinking Bondage (since usually non-con gives me the willies) Exotic Small Groups. Anyone NOT want to get tied up and spanked at some point?

In Memory of Bishrook

Hexed

What kinda classes does this have?

And those that already have it... Is it worth the 20 bucks for?

Crash

Hexed: It is somewhat based off of Apocalypse World so if you like those rules you will like these. We have a tinkerer and a an arcane person.  There are many types of thiefy classes left including combat oriented ones.

MadPanda: Character creation is really easy.

MadPanda

Quote from: Hexed on January 08, 2017, 06:26:01 PM
What kinda classes does this have?

It doesn't have classes.  It has playbooks.  Technically, all PCs are Thieves...which you young whippersnappers call Rogues for some reason.  (/old timer)

Quote from: Hexed on January 08, 2017, 06:26:01 PMAnd those that already have it... Is it worth the 20 bucks for?

Given that the $20 bucks gets you the quickstart now and the finished PDF later?  I'd say so.  But then I put in a bit more'n that for the Kickstarter, 'cause I liked the idea (and I like where it's gone since).

In Memory of Bishrook

Hexed

Found an early quick play book and it looked neat so bought the current one. :)

Question though. Why's some stuff on the playbooks prefilled?

Kinda figured out they give you bonus points on certain actions based on the playbook. But what's with the little box by need help that has a ability listed and points to it? Is that some sort of "This is a good choice if you don't know what your doing" thing?

And best thieves are from Disgaea. Cute lasses with guns that steal far more important things then coin. Like your stats. :D