Planescape Femslash (Inerest Check)

Started by Dhi, March 13, 2013, 03:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frost rose

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that. I'd be devastated if I lost my old RPG stuff. And that's an obscene price for Blood War. I managed to get mine at a used bookstore that was for some bizarre reason selling it for about $30 or so. I was so happy that day. I even got to use it here, kinda! The brief bit about hills of corpses with Perrin is a reference to the Field of Nettles, which was one of the places outlined in the set, a battlefield so ancient that all the fiend corpses have made hills and all their blood has turned the place into a marsh. Fun place.

And pfffft. Like they'd ever actually solve the matter. That's like saying they'd go and have a huge civil war in Sigil that left most of the factions destroyed and introduce a whole new set we've never heard of while killing off half the established cast of the setting, amirite?

…why are you all looking at me that way?
There was a SIGNATURE here.

It's gone now.

Kunoichi

Yeah, being able to get the whole thing on .pdf would be good. ^^

MdG

I'm with Dhi in keeping faction member numbers down to highly manageable levels, though I can easily see a total of 50,000 members spread throughout the Planes. Anyway, factols have an incentive to inflate the numbers of their faction...

On the sourcebook point, I must admit my familiarity with the Planescape setting is probably better than that of any other D&D 'canon' world. I used to enjoy the books (which used to be easy to find second-hand) mainly for their artwork and feel, but absorbed a lot through osmosis and through playing a couple of one-off tabletop sessions.

Ont hat note, my two cents is that Faces of Sigil is perhaps the finest TSR supplement I ever read and should be the inspiration for any character heavy urban campaign. 

meikle

Quote from: frost rose on March 23, 2013, 07:44:01 PMThat's like saying they'd go and have a huge civil war in Sigil that left most of the factions destroyed and introduce a whole new set we've never heard of while killing off half the established cast of the setting, amirite?

Metaplot truly is the worst thing that can happen to an RPG.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Crash

Quote from: Dhi on March 23, 2013, 06:06:05 PM
That first one looks sort of like a changeling's natural form to me.

I'm playing a changeling bard in a jazz age Eberron game who I love to death, and I use this image for her seldom seen natural form:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/8dd22fbd36e57558d6a0455a1bef92a5/tumblr_migqxyRDwT1s1nfszo1_1280.jpg
Black, soulless eyes; small, inexpressive, almost vestigial mouth and nose; vacant expression; hair the unfortunate texture and color of dried straw. In her chosen form she's spritely and charismatic, but strip that illusion away and she's a complete outsider, impossible to mistake for human.

Yeah that was another that I was thinking of but the upswept ears were throwing me.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Crash

I can go into the strange and unusual, but I tend to land on the vanilla side of the spectrum more often than not.

Skynet

My thoughts were different initially, but I'm feeling less comfortable about participating in a group RP which might contain non-consensual sex regardless of whether my character's involved.  I know I said differently earlier, but I felt differently after some thought.

When RPing, I tend to craft a story in a cooperative manner, and how my character would react to situations.  So even if Alzeggra wasn't present, she might say or do something in regards to the incident.  And dealing with rape might not necessarily be a place I'd be comfortable delving into in an RP, even indirectly.

I know that role-playing is a cooperative game, and not everybody's tastes and O&Os might match up, but I don't want make anybody feel unneccessarily constrained or limited; on the other hand, I don't think it would do anybody any good if I didn't communicate my discomforts, even if I said otherwise earlier.

Sorry for any confusion on my part!

Crash

We have put NC content in spoilers in other games I am in.  I'm not sure if Dhi wants to do that or not, but it has helped other players that feel the same way as you.

Dhi

I put out the possibility of NC to see how everybody felt about it, and I got a pretty clear "not my thing." It isn't my thing either, so consider this a Bondage Exotic story.

Crash

Quote from: Dhi on March 24, 2013, 07:44:50 PM
I put out the possibility of NC to see how everybody felt about it, and I got a pretty clear "not my thing." It isn't my thing either, so consider this a Bondage Exotic story.

Sounds great to me.  I plan on working on background stuff tonight.

Dhi - This is sandbox style right?  I am not sure knowing everyone in the past is going to work for my character, so I may have to re-think things if we are a regular advenuring group to start.

Skynet

Quote from: Crash on March 24, 2013, 08:06:27 PM
Sounds great to me.  I plan on working on background stuff tonight.

Dhi - This is sandbox style right?  I am not sure knowing everyone in the past is going to work for my character, so I may have to re-think things if we are a regular advenuring group to start.

It might be good to talk about the kind of game style and general themes Dhi and others want out of this RP.  From what I get out of Planescape, it focuses on D&D-style groups of adventurers exploring locales across the planes while getting embroiled in the power struggles of factions, deities, and the forces of Law & Chaos, Good & Evil.  With some philosophical debates on the side.

MdG

Quote from: Skynet on March 24, 2013, 08:14:27 PM
It might be good to talk about the kind of game style and general themes Dhi and others want out of this RP.  From what I get out of Planescape, it focuses on D&D-style groups of adventurers exploring locales across the planes while getting embroiled in the power struggles of factions, deities, and the forces of Law & Chaos, Good & Evil.  With some philosophical debates on the side.

I think one of Planescape's main strengths is its range of themes, locales and atmospheres. From Dhi's detailed setting intro, I got the impression that the game would develop as an urban adventure with a focus on Sigil and its many doors, but I'm flexible in terms of where we choose to take the narrative and am happy to discuss what works best for the group.

Skynet

I also got a Sigil-centric feel from Dhi's post.  I'd be totally happy with this, as the City of Doors is a very interesting locale!

I'm not strongly committed to any one play-style, though.  Whether it's dungeon-delving, urban politicking, or a mixture of the two, I'm fine as long as we all get plenty of opportunities for sexy lovin'! ;)

Crash

Quote from: Skynet on March 24, 2013, 08:22:13 PM
I'm fine as long as we all get plenty of opportunities for sexy lovin'! ;)

I get the feeling that isn't going to be a problem.

Kunoichi

Not when at least one of the characters steadfastly refuses to wear any manner of clothing. :P

Crash

Quote from: Kunoichi on March 24, 2013, 09:40:22 PM
Not when at least one of the characters steadfastly refuses to wear any manner of clothing. :P

Yep, pretty much what I was thinking.

Dhi

Quote from: Crash on March 24, 2013, 08:06:27 PM
Dhi - This is sandbox style right?  I am not sure knowing everyone in the past is going to work for my character, so I may have to re-think things if we are a regular adventuring group to start.
Originally I was aiming for a sandbox style game, but I don't think we have enough players right now to make that work. So I'm prepared to direct things much more than a sandbox GM would, and try to give you reasons to all work together.

I feel like a sandbox approach would fail because we don't currently have enough characters to be coming and going from each other's stories. I'm open to suggestions though.
Quote from: Skynet on March 24, 2013, 08:14:27 PM
That's a great summary.

I've been told that I run a Sigil-centric Planescape game. I see it more as a launching point for adventures, like some sort of enormous torus-shaped tavern in the sky, but apparently the impression I give is that I love Sigil. I suppose I do.

Dungeons are probably not on the menu. I think a room-to-room grind would feel especially out of place in a systemless game, and they're usually shoehorned into the Planescape setting as it is. I don't find them very interesting, and I think they could bog down a PbP.

Skynet

Quote from: Dhi on March 24, 2013, 10:59:38 PM
Originally I was aiming for a sandbox style game, but I don't think we have enough players right now to make that work. So I'm prepared to direct things much more than a sandbox GM would, and try to give you reasons to all work together.

1. I feel like a sandbox approach would fail because we don't currently have enough characters to be coming and going from each other's stories. I'm open to suggestions though.That's a great summary.

2. I've been told that I run a Sigil-centric Planescape game. I see it more as a launching point for adventures, like some sort of enormous torus-shaped tavern in the sky, but apparently the impression I give is that I love Sigil. I suppose I do.

3. Dungeons are probably not on the menu. I think a room-to-room grind would feel especially out of place in a systemless game, and they're usually shoehorned into the Planescape setting as it is. I don't find them very interesting, and I think they could bog down a PbP.

1. The thing with sandbox gaming is that it's player-centric, where the PCs decide what to focus on and the DM comes up with challenges in response.  The PCs want to go to Carceri one day to free prisoners?  That's what the game's about until they decide to do something else.

2. That's cool.  Can you recommend any free resources about the city?  I'm afraid that most of my Planescape information comes from planewalker.com and 3rd Edition resources.  Although I hear that Planewalker's a great site.

3. It doesn't have to be structured like a typical dungeon crawl.  The PCs don't need to announce that they're searching for traps in every hallway, or every room to be described.  Treat it as a setting in the story, where only the interesting parts are covered in the narrative.

meikle

Dungeon crawling usually has a certain kind of impetus to it, though: it's at the heart of violence-and-loot focused games.  So I mean, it does shape the focus of the game.  In a setting whose strongest point of interest is philosophical discourse and "belief shapes reality," digging through a hole in the ground killing [goblins/orcs/githyanki/slaad] for [gold/magic items/bloodlust] can seem a little out of place.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

MdG

Quote from: meikle on March 25, 2013, 07:06:04 AM
Dungeon crawling usually has a certain kind of impetus to it, though: it's at the heart of violence-and-loot focused games.  So I mean, it does shape the focus of the game.  In a setting whose strongest point of interest is philosophical discourse and "belief shapes reality," digging through a hole in the ground killing [goblins/orcs/githyanki/slaad] for [gold/magic items/bloodlust] can seem a little out of place.

Agreed. And since this is a freeform game, I'd definitely expect a character-driven rather than combat-driven focus.

Skynet

Quote from: meikle on March 25, 2013, 07:06:04 AM

I see your point.