The Oneironaut (interest check)

Started by Tanglefoot, January 09, 2011, 12:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanglefoot

So this is a web comic that I am currently working on that I think would make a lovely roleplaying game. It is kind of an interesting concept that I can think could be a lot of fun. I am very attached to the world and I am looking for very descriptive players.

The setting exist mostly in a dream world known as the Cityscape. The city is filled with people from our world who have learned to lucid dream and have been given access by power creatures only known as the City Guard. The city is a place where dreams can come true but always at a price. The Oneironaut is an airship that offers all sorts of pleasures for dreamers who can pay. The men and women who work the ship can shape the world around them to create all sorts of fantasies but each of them owe a debt to the Guard.

The game will involve sexy dream making, banter between the crew and adventure. My hope is to explore both the dreaming and waking life of some complex characters. Does this make sense to anyone?
We are all strangers in a strange land, longing for home, but not quite knowing what or where home is. We glimpse it sometimes in our dreams, or as we turn a corner, and suddenly there is a strange, sweet familiarity that vanishes almost as soon as it comes...

Temptress

This sounds very interesting, brilliant idea, I love it!
What sorts of, ah, activities would be we talking about here? Just mostly vanilla/Bond stuff between dreamers or more, nasty, things as someone paying the debt they owe a guard?

Xantham

Sounds interesting...very open.

Here's a few questions, just to give me a clear idea...

1.  Since this a dream world, characters will disappear when they wake in the "real" world?  Is the post all one long night, or will characters come and go?
2.  Will the sexual elements be between PCs?  It seems like each PC can create their own fantasies, not needing help.
3.  You say that dreamers must pay.  Since it is a dream world, the only currency that is useful has to come from, or be, the dreamers themselves, how does this play out in the game?

Looking forward to your thoughts,
Xantham

Tanglefoot

I am so pleased that some folks have expressed an interest. To answer your questions.

Temptress: The idea would be that the ship caters to all sorts of fantasies. My hope would be there would be all sorts of different play, though I am not sure if that goes against the grain around here. The webcomic has a lot of different characters that specialize in different types of dreams. One girl is always the victim of terrible things, the other is kind of like a Domme, another specializes in being different people.

Xantham: Question 1) My hope is that the game would explore both the waking lives and dream world lives of the PCs. The city of dreams keeps going but characters fade out, wake up and then come back. Some folks are addicted to it and live their waking lives trying to get back to sleep. Others live very different lives. The victim character I mentioned is a state senator in the waking world.

Question 2) There are many different type of people that visit the city. Some are just dreamers who can not lucid dream, those are most of the clients that the PCs work in exchange for their payment. This is not to say that lucid dreamers don't hook up as well. All the lucid dreams have certain limits. The Guard controls what lucid dreaming goes on where. For example the ship has cabins where lucid dreaming works but the rest of the ship stays mostly the same.

Question 3) In a way the Guard is kind of running a scam. The city is a marvel to witness. Amazing and surreal things happen all the time. Once someone finds there way to the city because of their abilities as a dreamer or because the Guard wants them they have a period where they just get to explore the city. They get hooked and then the Guard starts talking about the debt they owe. The price for not paying is to be exiled. Most folks do what they have to to stay inside. For the crew of the ship working clients is mostly how they stay in the dream city, though other arrangements might also exist.
We are all strangers in a strange land, longing for home, but not quite knowing what or where home is. We glimpse it sometimes in our dreams, or as we turn a corner, and suddenly there is a strange, sweet familiarity that vanishes almost as soon as it comes...